• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool C: New Zealand vs. Argentina (20/09/2015)

If it's what I'm thinking of it would be ridiculous. When Argentina scored their try, Daniel Carter was running and by bad luck caught the try scorers head. But there is no way it was intentional or premeditates - I think if he expected him to go for the try he would have been doing more to go for the ball.

Anyway, look at Argentina's try and you will see what I suspect to be the incident.

Where was he running to? It looked to me like he was going to tackle the ball-carrier, and kicked him in the head concussing him.

Where was he running to? It looked to me like he was going to tackle the ball-carrier, and kicked him in the head concussing him.

Looks to me like his head landed on his boot, rather than the boot kicking the head ... maybe they should put it through the process anyway

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34310649

Hey look even Hansen didn't defend his captain for his "brain explosion", which led to his yellow. Does that mean even he thought he did it deliberately?

He probably realises that it's largely irrelevant whether it was deliberate or not.

Yes, and Richie himself admits and accepts responsibility; I've read that the All Blacks were going to try to improve their discipline for the RWC, so it doesn't surprise me Hansen isn't defending it.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ility-for-dumb-yellow-card-in-rugby-world-cup

I don't mind our Captain being under scrutiny for this (particularly from the media), provided there's consistency if similar offences are committed by other players from other nations.

Last edited:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34310649

Hey look even Hansen didn't defend his captain for his "brain explosion", which led to his yellow. Does that mean even he thought he did it deliberately?

The press conference was really funny, Hansen and his headphones haha, but yeah he does and he said how dumb it was on a number of occasions, we all have and Richie better not pull that ***** again, he's the last person I thought I would be saying that about and it definitely did him no favours for his reputation in the NH, not that I think he gives a bugger about it, but its more banter fodder for us fans to endure and try to defend, in this case it's indefensible - you won't see that sort of carry on agian.

Not tarring all Kiwi posters on here. My post was aimed at one in particular who tried to argue Richie didn't lift his leg deliberately, it was just accidental, but yet still deserved a yellow. Yeah right! Still don't know what the hell he was trying to argue.

Of course it was on purpose. All great rugby players cheat, they're just good at it.

Yup I think the reason this thread descended into madness at half time was one poster was trying to defend McCaw and every non kiwi saw red.

Those two clips aren't from the same game....

Maybe not, but it was the same opponents at the same ground and MOST important, it was the same Citing Officer; Scott Newland

- - - Updated - - -

He was running to try to tackle the player, who then changed direction and dived right at his feet. This was purely accidental and not even careless.

Last edited:
Just watching the game back, a couple of things are clear.

Can't really understate the poor officiating when it came to the offside play (for both sides, I'm not saying New Zealand were innocent). But in the 34th minute particularly, Argentina again, and again, and again, and again were offside in their own 22. It was around the time Conrad Smith made that break, for anyone who isn't sure. For me that's a penalty and a stern warning. It almost got to be a joke and it smelt like the 2007 quarter final when literally anything goes. Again, there were plenty of times where NZ had crept offside as well so both teams were guilty of this. But that phase in the Argentinian 22 before half time was just a joke.

Ma'a Nonu and Skudder both evaded tackles and spun out of various attempts to create opportunities. Maybe they were quiet by their own gigantic standards, but they still gained us that extra piece of ground and played a big part in creating opportunities. What the stats don't tell you is the amount of tacklers it takes to put these kinds of elusive players away. A little like De Allende for South Africa - usually one or two guys aren't enough.

I'm about done discussing this game now; I wouldn't mind discussing the All Blacks V Namibia ... if only there was a thread to do so :D

I'm about done discussing this game now; I wouldn't mind discussing the All Blacks V Namibia ... if only there was a thread to do so :D

Maybe the All Blacks v Namibia thread? :D

Yup I think the reason this thread descended into madness at half time was one poster was trying to defend McCaw and every non kiwi saw red.

What amazes me the most is some new zealanders' inability to pass judgment on their players without using the word "but" in their posts.

There is always a benchmark or excuse they will come up with to rationalize anything and everything their players do.

The fact that many (not all, thank god) of them are convinced there is this world conspiracy against them doesn't help.

For every single incident a new zealander can come up of a case where they were treated unfairly i can come up with a case where another team was treated unfairly while facing the all blacks. Yet, they have this irresistible urge to bring up the former and conveniently forget about the latter.

This thread is not a bad example: they beat argentina fair and square, and yet, somehow, some of them manage to bring up that game against france.

Maybe the All Blacks v Namibia thread? :D

My apologies, didn't see it ... hmmn, maybe I should take up refereeing :D

... Thanks Nick

What amazes me the most is some new zealanders' inability to pass judgment on their players without using the word "but" in their posts.

There is always a benchmark or excuse they will come up with to rationalize anything and everything their players do.

The fact that many (not all, thank god) of them are convinced there is this world conspiracy against them doesn't help.

For every single incident a new zealander can come up of a case where they were treated unfairly i can come up with a case where another team was treated unfairly while facing the all blacks. Yet, they have this irresistible urge to bring up the former and conveniently forget about the latter.

This thread is not a bad example: they beat argentina fair and square, and yet, somehow, some of them manage to bring up that game against france.

Those are all good points ​but​ I think we are a critical lot when it comes to our own players, and at other times, make excuses for them ​but​ I don't see that we are over represented as a nation (when compared to other nations), in this regard.

The world conspiracy theory is interesting ​but​ just because we are paranoid, it doesn't mean you guys aren't all out to get us :rolleyes: ... seriously though, there does seem to a certain quarter of rugby supporters, that seem to take more pleasure in our demise, than in the fact that the other team won

I think your point about the case of being treated unfairly etc, can be attributed to some posters on here in general ... comparing treatment isn't necessarily a bad thing, it insures consistency doesn't it/

... as for the France game, it was always going to be brought up, as there's a commonality between the two games, with Wayne Barnes refereeing them both ... I think most of us have been pretty fair, and attributed any failings in the game, squarely on the shoulders of the players, ​but​, if you think this is a unique phenomenon to NZers, just wait until/if the French get Craig Joubert, and see what happens ... this isn't making an excuse for ref bashing, just merely pointing out that there's usually one ref that some supporter don't like

Last edited:

What most amazes me is some posters level of analysis being limited to finding things the All Blacks did wrong, and the subsequent response of their fans.

He was running to try to tackle the player, who then changed direction and dived right at his feet. This was purely accidental and not even careless.

Yes, I see now what happened. Carter was looking to place himself behind Read to assist but Read was more easily beaten than Carter expected resulting in the Argentine getting over the line faster. It wasn't so much that the lock changed direction but that Read didn't offer much resistance. But yeah, accidental clash.

Latest posts