• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: England vs. Wales (26/09/2015)

Slept on this now, but I'm gutted, absolutely gutted..
All credit to Wales they played the full 80 and got the rewards..
Changed opinion on Biggar, as fickle as it sounds, very good all round performance, although that kicking routine.. Looked like he had ants in his pants.
But England didn't show enough maturity at the last, Barritt got found out on the outside a few times and it cost us.
I'm struggling to think of a team that's really going to penetrate this Aussie team, but here it goes..

1.Marler
2.George
3.Cole
4.Parling
5.Launchbury
6.Vunipola
7.Robshaw
8.Morgan

9.Youngs
10.Farrell/Ford
11.May
12.Slade
13.Joseph
14.Nowell
15.Brown

16.T.Youngs
17.M.Vunipola
18.Brookes
19.Wood
20.Haskell
21.Care
22.Burgess
23.Watson

I'm usually very up beat, but I just can't see us beating Aus at all, think I'll get the Fiji flags out and say a prayer..

Last edited:
Slept on this now, but I'm gutted, absolutely gutted..
All credit to Wales they played the full 80 and got the rewards..
Changed opinion on Biggar, as fickle as it sounds, very good all round performance, although that kicking routine.. Looked like he had ants in his pants.
But England didn't show enough maturity at the last, Barritt got found out on the outside a few times and it cost us.
I'm struggling to think of a team that's really going to penetrate this Aussie team, but here it goes..

1.Marler
2.George
3.Cole
4.Parling
5.Launchbury
6.Vunipola
7.Robshaw
8.Morgan

9.Youngs
10.Farrell/Ford
11.May
12.Slade
13.Joseph
14.Nowell
15.Brown

16.T.Youngs
17.M.Vunipola
18.Brookes
19.Wood
20.Haskell
21.Care
22.Ford/Farrell
23.Watson

I'm usually very up beat, but I just can't see us beating Aus at all, think I'll get the Fiji flags out and say a prayer..

But where is Burgess?!!

Farrell was kicking very well, and there was also time on the clock. They were behind with a chance to square it up, it was the wrong decision, point-blank.

You can argue it was the right decision, but I just can't go along with that. In that situation, you take the points, the stakes are high.

Points first and give yourself a better chance of going through.

But where is Burgess?!!
Ennit,
Isn't JJ out for the whole group stage?
Burgess/Slade centre partnership for me.
Got to start Mako, as well. No lock on the bench? I want to see Kruis involved, our locks haven't been up to scratch so far, and he's more old school than the others.

@PMTobesHodges

Joseph is out for the group stages, would surprise me to see Slade been brought in under Lancaster this Saturday. If so (though it won't) it would be the same combo as France at home i.e., "experience".

Agree with B.Vunipola 6 / Morgan 8 but it isn't going to happen.

The first and most important part of beating Australia is staying alive at the breakdown. Everything in the pack should be selected around that.

Ennit,
Isn't JJ out for the whole group stage?
Burgess/Slade centre partnership for me.
Got to start Mako, as well. No lock on the bench? I want to see Kruis involved, our locks haven't been up to scratch so far, and he's more old school than the others.

That's what the mail and telegraph have reported. If it is a Peck injury (he would be out of the tournament , but if is a stinger, it could be a 2-3 week injury.

I like what BOD said pre-Ireland v Romania game. If England are to go out, at least go out all guns blazing. Pick Ford-Burgess-Slade at 10-12-13. Assuming JJ is not fit for next week.

Scott Willaims' injury doesn't look good at all. I'd be surprised if we saw him again this WC. George North will likely play at 13, but that would mean Cuthbert back on the wing. The only thing Cuthbert did this game, was come on and give a penalty away for not rolling away.

Hallam Amos is dislocated his shoulder. It looked like it popped straight back in, so we'll have to see with him. Eli Walker may be fit again by now, Gat's said his hamstring trouble should have only kept him out for a couple of weeks, so.....

Liam Williams is going through concussion protocol, but that was a hefty blow to the head! Matthew Morgan would be in line to replace him, but he's not really the kind of player you'd want facing Fiji.....

No he won't, what are you on about? Wood did absolutely nothing wrong. Totally accidental, and just something that happens in rugby. Get a grip man.

Sorry, must be a spot of dyslexia meant to say Will he, not He will.

I hope people finally see how good Dan Biggar is - both as a player and as a goal kicker! Lot of talk pre-tournament scoffing the idea of him being outstanding, think he showed that he certainly is in that bracket!

Wholeheartedly agree. I've always argued with people that he is in the same category as Sexton in terms of quality, and I think last night's events proved that. He is one of the calmest players I've ever seen under pressure and in tight situations. Regarding his reputation for being hot-headed sometimes, I think he has finally learned how to channel that in a mature and beneficial way. He is one of the most vocal Welsh players and is constantly talking to the ref, which I think actually plays into Wales' hands sometimes. He also feels like much more of an attacking threat than he ever has, picking lines and putting others into space. His kicks to touch are great and make so much ground, he has a good territorial awareness these days, and he puts everything into the up and unders. He reminds me of Stephen Jones in his calm/steady manner, but with a bit more flair.

France will win this World Cup I'm absolutely certain but call me crazy

- - - Updated - - -

Heart means nothing to you in a game obviously

I had Wales v france in the final at 100/1 but it will take a miracle now with all our injuries.
Some months ago I was slated by many England fans for stating I thought Warburton was superior both as a player and a captain when compared with Robshaw.

Great bruising game. Total commitment from all involved. Fantastic to watch as a neutral. Well, as a Scot I was routing for Wales. 3 main points for me . If it was wasn't for Wales horrendous injury list they wouldn't have had a scum half playing out on the wing and that's were the kick for the try came; a halfbacks vision. 2nd: Robshaws desicion making under pressure is abysmal. 3rd: A rugby word cup finals is no place for a newbie league convert to learn his trade. One last parting shot, Lancaster doesn't have the courage of his convictions. In the run up the English have played some exciting open style stuff, even with Lancaster's constant tinkering and in-desicion with the midfield. First big game and he bricks himself and puts out a wall.,no subtelty, no nuance,just sheer power. We saw how that worked out

Positives:

Scrum went well (though Marler was cheating his balls off - some refs will clock it, some won't)
Maul defence was decent (don't think it should have been a penalty first half)
Wood had a decent game
Binny was excellent, though considering he fielded quite a few kicks I would have liked to have seen him charge in to contact a bit more - then again, making sure we retain the ball/he can set it back properly is important
B. Youngs was good
Farrell had a very good game,
Wings went well enough with the little ball the had,
Burgess decent, want to see more,
Brown excellent - one of the best FBs in the world. I like how fiesty he is, but maybe he does take it a bit too far - didn't mind him getting involved after Lydiate's attempted leg breaker, but no need to continue it for as long as he did
Mako was very good as well - surely deserves a start now?

There was nothing wrong with Lydiates tackle, Brown is an idiot to react like that, its a pity its not 15 or so years ago because someone would have surely slapped him and shut him up by now, Farrell used to be like that but has grown up a lot in the last 18 months.

When you're talking about players "growing up" etc you haven't usually got a winner.

We may now hear less singing of Swing low at the non ENGLAND GAMES, disrepect and arrogance never helped anyone!!!!!!!!!!! great game, well played Wales and very good reffing from Garces, this should calm a few forumers for a couple of days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! France now looooooook goooooooood to goooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought Garces had an impeccable game and am annoyed at the sour grapes from posts suggesting the ref lost it for England, also I felt Burgess proved me wrong I thought he would be a disaster when infact it all went wrong for England when he was replaced, anyone looking for the player at fault for this defeat need look no further than Robshaw, the decision to kick for touch mirrored Dellagilo's decision in our famous Wembley win.

- - - Updated - - -

What a load of utter tosh.

Garces was excellent in this game, and it was made very easy for him with both teams showing a complete lack of discipline.

I completely agree with you, I think there were a total of 23 penalties, 12 from England and 11 from us, unacceptable and I am surprised we didn't see at least a card per side.

- - - Updated - - -

hello, couple of observations form last night.

1: it was an immense game, intensity was insane - I'm worried about the emotional toll on both teams ahead of Ausssies & Fiji.
2: I said against Ireland in the warm up games the Welsh fitness was incredible, and we saw it again last night.
3: Ford for Burgess was a bad call, it changed the game in a negative way for England - it should have been Ford for Farrell, or not at all. Burgess was good, bar a crappy kick.
4: Robshaws call to kick for the corner was the RIGHT call, win the game and England are through, Draw left them in almost the same position as a loss, but with a chance to go through on the 2012 rankings (sod that).
5: I knew we'd (England) had lost when Mike Brown lost his temper and fronted up to Warburton - knew emotion had taken over too much at that stage.

Great win for Wales, congrats lads, really great performance in a massive game. Super from the pack to get back into the game, difficult for them to back it up against Fiji with all the injuries, will be interesting to see how this pool pans out.

lastly nothing in the Wood/Williams connection, hacking a loose ball clumsily if he gets cited he'll get cleared.

laters

Don't know if you'll agree but the penalty at the end given against Warburton was the only mistake Garces made, he was on his feet, supporting his own weight and won the ball fairly.

Wales were exceptionally disciplined considering how long they were under the cosh for, then Gatland out thought lancaster and his bearded monkey, Andy Farrell

Tbh the biggest question I'd have for Garces is what did I think Joe Marler was doing in the scrums that was legal, as I did not see it, and that was to England's advantage.

There was nothing wrong with Lydiates tackle, Brown is an idiot to react like that, its a pity its not 15 or so years ago because someone would have surely slapped him and shut him up by now, Farrell used to be like that but has grown up a lot in the last 18 months.

I will repeat Lydiate did nothing wrong it was a fair tackle, why do I get a notification for this comment only a complete idiot would think or say a player as fair as Lydiate tried to break a fellow players leg, please grow up and once again somebody explain what the hell I got a notification/reputation comment.

Don't know if you'll agree but the penalty at the end given against Warburton was the only mistake Garces made, he was on his feet, supporting his own weight and won the ball fairly.

I don't think Garces was poor, but he did make a few mistakes, e.g. when Watson dived for the ball and he gave a penalty for not allowing the player up. Also I was a little confused at the penalty which Cole gave away, https://youtu.be/BbDDdSGqV0c?t=14m48s I know this is something which the refs have been told to clamp down on, but what was cole meant to do here? He went for the ball, at which point the Welsh player rolled on top of it, so where else was Cole supposed to put his hands?

I don't think Garces was poor, but he did make a few mistakes, e.g. when Watson dived for the ball and he gave a penalty for not allowing the player up. Also I was a little confused at the penalty which Cole gave away, https://youtu.be/BbDDdSGqV0c?t=14m48s I know this is something which the refs have been told to clamp down on, but what was cole meant to do here? He went for the ball, at which point the Welsh player rolled on top of it, so where else was Cole supposed to put his hands?

I think that penalty was given for Farrell's late tackle on Gareth Davis, not for Watson diving on the player.

For Cole, well, his hands had to go straight onto the ball, and not on the floor and then sweep up onto the ball. So clear penalty - not supporting his body weight.

Latest posts