• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: England vs. Fiji (18/09/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
vTRhZ65.png

England.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Fiji.png

Twickenham, London (18/09/2015, 20:00)
Pool A, Round 1

Referee: Jaco Peyper
23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png

Teams

England: 15. Mike Brown, 14. Anthony Watson, 13. Jonathan Joseph, 12. Brad Barritt, 11. Jonny May, 10. George Ford, 9. Ben Youngs; 8. Ben Morgan, 7. Chris Robshaw (c), 6. Tom Wood, 5. Geoff Parling, 4. Courtney Lawes, 3. Dan Cole, 2. Tom Youngs, 1. Joe Marler.

Replacements: 16. Rob Webber, 17. Mako Vunipola, 18. Kieran Brookes, 19. Joe Launchbury, 20. Billy Vunipola, 21. Richard Wigglesworth, 22. Owen Farrell, 23. Sam Burgess

Fiji: 1. Campese Ma'afu, 2. Sunia Koto, 3. Manasa Saulo, 4. Apisalome Ratuniyarawa, 5. Leone Nakarawa, 6. Dominiko Waqaniburotu, 7. Akapusi Qera (C), 8. Sakiusa Masi Matadigo, 9. Nikola Matawalu, 10. Ben Volavola, 11. Nemani Nadolo, 12. Gabiriele Lovobalavu, 13. Vereniki Goneva, 14. Waisea Nayacalevu, 15. Metuisela Talebula

Replacements: 16. Tuapati Talemaitoga, 17. Peni Ravai, 18. Isei Colati, 19. Tevita Cavubati, 20. Peceli Yato, 21. Nemia Kenatale, 22. Joshua Matavesi, 23. Aseli Tikoirotuma

Last edited:
Any idea when the teams will be announced? Must be soonish.

England to comfortably win this one no disrespect to Fiji but I think they'll struggle to deal with our current back line who given time and space can be really devastating. Add into factor of us being home nations and pumped up Twickenham crowd/team I just can't see England loosing this one. Fit team with a two week rest as well.

Just be interesting to see if Lancaster rests any players which I hope not although there may a raft of substitutions if the game is suitably under control in the second half.

England to comfortably win this one no disrespect to Fiji but I think they'll struggle to deal with our current back line who given time and space can be really devastating. Add into factor of us being home nations and pumped up Twickenham crowd/team I just can't see England loosing this one. Fit team with a two week rest as well.

Just be interesting to see if Lancaster rests any players which I hope not although there may a raft of substitutions if the game is suitably under control in the second half.

Might be too big of an ask for Fiji... but I think there's one or two in the Fijian backline, that England might have difficulty containing too

The real questions for Lancaster are

Locks?

Lauchbeery & lawes
Or parling

FH ford or Farrell

Wings nowell, may or Watson

It'll be Ford for fly half unless he is being rested. Some will disagree but as he was fine in the last Ireland game and he required a repeat performance of Paris to get dropped.

Plus the attacking impetus his vision and late passing gives us are far more important in games like this than Farrells defense. England would expect to win this one and in this group margin of victory may count for a lot.

Our forwards will win this.

I prefer Fiji backs to ours (bar 9 and 10).

Fords touch kicking will need to be on point.

Should be a fascinating game whichever way it goes. Interested to see what kind of statement Fiji make here - if they come out strong then it's going to affect Wales and Australia's approach in a big way, but then it'll be the same if they get smashed too as the others will also want to pile the points on. Sets the tone for the entire group and absolutely can't wait to see it!

I reckon they'll play Barritt and Burgess in the centres (the two who most need some game time) with most attack coming from the wings and Ford at fly half. Just my theory.

According to the Torygraph it was meant to be yesterday. It's got to this afternoon unless we've suddenly turned all French and leave it till the 11th hour!

Don't think there will be any shocks in selection. If I were SL I would sleep well on a settled XV if not 23. M

The only real discussion point that he could lose sleep over at this late stage is the lock pairing.

Parling did enough for me to get in ahead of Lawes but we'll wait and see... I cannot wait for Friday now. Think it's going to be an extremely long week!

I think Lancaster finally knows. He prefers parling and lawes at lock, Watson and may on the wings, ford at ten. I just wish he'd made up his mind a year earlier

Fords touch kicking will need to be on point.[/QUOTE said:
OK, but I would expect England to seriously challenge the Fiji lineout.

I agree, not taking anything away from the English backs, but it's in the forwards where the mismatch is ... and the likes of Nadolo on the counter attack is something to behold.

You honestly think JJ and Brown wouldn't be first choice if they were Fijian?! Like probably most people I haven't seen a lot of Fiji so maybe I'm wrong, but find that hard to believe.

On selection, I think Lancaster will pick his first XV. Fiji are not to be taken lightly, and the psychological impact of getting off to a flier in a home World Cup is potentially big. The question is, who is that first XV? I think most of it is nailed down, my only question after the Ireland game would be whether Lawes will survive. If I was betting on it, I'd say the same 23 as Vs Ireland except Slade for Burgess.

Possibly Lawes

You honestly think JJ and Brown wouldn't be first choice if they were Fijian?! Like probably most people I haven't seen a lot of Fiji so maybe I'm wrong, but find that hard to believe.

On selection, I think Lancaster will pick his first XV. Fiji are not to be taken lightly, and the psychological impact of getting off to a flier in a home World Cup is potentially big. The question is, who is that first XV? I think most of it is nailed down, my only question after the Ireland game would be whether Lawes will survive. If I was betting on it, I'd say the same 23 as Vs Ireland except Slade for Burgess.

Possibly Lawes

I've seen a bit of them, and you underestimate their backs (particularly on he counter attack) at your own peril ... I'm not saying that the England backs shouldn't be under estimated either, but if the Fijian coach could come and cherry pick the England squad for players, he'd start in their forward pack.

We'd probably have some of the Fijians (yes, I know we have Naholo) in the AB back line, if they hadn't already declared for Fiji

1.Marler 2.George 3.Cole 4.Lawes 5.Parling 6.Wood 7.Robshaw 8.Morgan 9.Youngs 10.Ford 11.May 12.Burgess 13.Joseph 14.Watson 15.Brown
16.Youngs 17.M.Vunipola 18.Brookes 19.Launchbury 20.B.Vunipola 21.Wigglesworth 22.Farrell 23.Nowell

I think Barritt might be rested, as he gives everything and might get injured, could be in the back of there minds when selecting, but that's a real contentious call..
Also think/hope George starts, real impact players off the bench, especially in the pack, also Nowell at 13 or wing.. But I'm probably completely wrong :D

Latest posts