• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Super Rugby] South African conference

I wouldn't know about Kebble. Wilhelm van der Sluys also comes from a rich family but didn't get a look in so I don't know.

As for us surprising.. would it really be a surprise if we end top/mid table? I think our style of play will ensure that we win a fair amount of regular season games and we should be pushing for a play off spot if we can get you Bulls and the Sharks sorted LOL. I do think we can put out a very dangerous 1st XV (if our halves play above the ability shown so far and) with Etzebeth back but if the injury curse hits us again, we won't be making a bid for the ***le.

True, But with my Bulls mentality kicking in, there is this feeling that the Stormers has to suck.

True, But with my Bulls mentality kicking in, there is this feeling that the Stormers has to suck.
There are many reasons why we should suck this year;

- ****ty kit
- no new developments; we've said no, thank you to Jake White (who's style would suit us)
- lost all of Andries Bekker, Jaque Fourie, Bryan Habana and a whole host of talented youngsters the last two years with no-one coming in
- there is an imbalance between our style and the type of some of our players and we are lacking depth in key positions; hooker, open side, scrummie, pivot and fullback.. with no light showing yet

Can anybody cheer me up?

There are reasons why people leave unions, Pollard was given R10 000 per month by the Bulls since he was in grade 11, he was bought while still at school.
Every move has it's merit, no use dwelling on it

Stormers have always been a fairly consistent side and 2014 will be no different.
No need to cheer you up, have some faith - remember you had the same negative outlook too a few ago and how did we do then.
I have faith in my teams abilities

Howard will be the next Habanna, watch this lad
Kolbe will be devastating, screw his size, did Jason Robinson's size bother anyone, or Williams from Wales?

2 years ago we were down to the 5th fly half and all crucified Alistair form not having depth, now he has and it wrong as well..
Hooker - Fourie will play there if there are injuries, so in essence 3 experienced hookers
We have enough grunt at lock, Elstadt and Rhodes both can hold their own there if needed

I for one believe that Schreuder and Katrakilis will be a very rounded halfback pairing.

Last year it said YES, we can take this and we let ourselves down in two away games we should have won and missed the playoffs by a small margin. Remember how we ended against the mighty Bulls?
This year I say let's see without thinking about a final and may good things happen

No fear, bring it on

Last edited:
There are reasons why people leave unions, Pollard was given R10 000 per month by the Bulls since he was in grade 11, he was bought while still at school.
Every move has it's merit, no use dwelling on it

Stormers have always been a fairly consistent side and 2014 will be no different.
No need to cheer you up, have some faith - remember you had the same negative outlook too a few ago and how did we do then.
I have faith in my teams abilities

Howard will be the next Habanna, watch this lad
Kolbe will be devastating, screw his size, did Jason Robinson's size bother anyone, or Williams from Wales?

2 years ago we were down to the 5th fly half and all crucified Alistair form not having depth, now he has and it wrong as well..
Hooker - Fourie will play there if there are injuries, so in essence 3 experienced hookers
We have enough grunt at lock, Elstadt and Rhodes both can hold their own there if needed

I for one believe that Schreuder and Katrakilis will be a very rounded halfback pairing.

Last year it said YES, we can take this and we let ourselves down in two away games we should have won and missed the playoffs by a small margin. Remember how we ended against the mighty Bulls?
This year I say let's see without thinking about a final and may good things happen

No fear, bring it on

That is all true enough but I want us as a union to aim for more, I know that is a very general and vague statement but our region has SOOOO much potential and history... I'm going to be embracing my pessimism and hoping to be pleasantly proved wrong.

Want to see a breakdown of all positions regarding the the SA conference, players and contenders.
Check out this site - http://www.rugby-talk.com/
South African site and well run

Last edited:
Jean de Villliers and Schalk Burger will be captain and vice captain for the Stormers in 2014

Are the Stormers the only finalized squad so far for the 2014 SR tournament of the SA sides?

I know the Bulls will announce their squad on the 31st of January.

I personally think it would be better to wait until the very last moment to announce the squad, to ensure that you pick fit and able players. Imagine if the Cheetahs had to announce their team on Monday, only to find out Heinrich Brussouw will be out for a month or two with a broken toe. Not that I wouldn't still pick him, but if it was a fringe player, then you could've picked another guy...

Are the Stormers the only finalized squad so far for the 2014 SR tournament of the SA sides?

I know the Bulls will announce their squad on the 31st of January.

I personally think it would be better to wait until the very last moment to announce the squad, to ensure that you pick fit and able players. Imagine if the Cheetahs had to announce their team on Monday, only to find out Heinrich Brussouw will be out for a month or two with a broken toe. Not that I wouldn't still pick him, but if it was a fringe player, then you could've picked another guy...

I think its only us so far but as I understand it this is not the final squad just yet; more a prelimanary one for the 3 trial games.

Where will Wilhelm Steenkamp be playing this year? He's not part of the wider Bulls squad nor the Cheetahs.

Bought by Western Force, check there squad out, 6 or 7 SA players has gone over

Bought by Western Force, check there squad out, 6 or 7 SA players has gone over
8! Though only half those will likely feature.

Pity about Kolbe but it opens the door for Pat Howard to play on the wing or we could have De Allende on the wing with De Jongh partnering De Villiers in midfield so even though we lose an electric runner it shouldn't be a bother IMO.

8! Though only half those will likely feature.

Pity about Kolbe but it opens the door for Pat Howard to play on the wing or we could have De Allende on the wing with De Jongh partnering De Villiers in midfield so even though we lose an electric runner it shouldn't be a bother IMO.

ah man!! I am a Kolbe fan!! he alone would have made me watch every Stormers game. Even though I think he's not yet Springbok material, he has such a talent and for once SA has a guy that can bamboozle the NZ backs...

Anyways, Pat Howard, the little I've seen of him, looks very promising. But once again, there is the Stormers problem of having way too many talented backs and not so many talented forwards. Especially if you look at the depth of the squad.

I think we have enough quality forwards with a very good bench as well so apart from a major injury crisis we should be golden.... apart from the fact that we have nothing in the halves. That is our actual problem; a distinct lack of direction ball in hand and quality general kicking.

The GL seem to be carrying some injuries in the backs though apparently all expected back relatively soon; in the 8 weeks range. I am just concerned that 3 of those injuries are to main players in Elton Jantjies, Lionel Mapoe and Anthony Volmink.

I expect the GL to surprise a few visiting teams, maybe, hopefully picking up 2 or 3 scalps but I don't see them faring well in inter-conference games or away from Ellis Park. So, 3 or 4 wins might see them pushing for 2nd last.

Doesn't seem like any new names are coming through so a likely best line- up looking like this?;

1 Bees Roux
2 Willie Wepener
3 Ruan Dreyer
4 Hugo Klopper
5 Franco van der Merwe (captain?)
6 Jaco Kriel
7 Derrick Minie
8 Warren Whiteley
9 Tian Meyer
10 Elton Jantjies - I'm sure he'll look better in a Lions jersey and a new year hopefully getting over personal issues; his error count was just ridiculous at the Stormers in 2013
11 Anthony Volmink - electric, hope he recovers well
12 Dylan Des Fountain
13 Lionel Mapoe
14 Ruan Combrinck
15 Marnitz Boshoff - hope this guy builds on a very impressive CC

A backline that will hope to make inroads through width and pure pace. I woulnd't be backing them away from the highveld though. Particularly with a rather light, albeit mobile, pack.

No way that wannabe Mapoe will take the place of Stokkies Hanekom - their best player last year imo

"apart from the fact that we have nothing in the halves. That is our actual problem; a distinct lack of direction ball in hand and quality general kicking."
Schroeder - selected in Bok squad for his tactical awareness and box kicking abilities
Catrakilis - probably the best tactical kicker in SA now that Morne is in France

I rate them as a pair very high and they will get the back line away, I have no worries in that

I can't agree. Schroeder touring with the Bokke was seen by most as a move right out of left field and I fully agree. Sure, the guy can kick a ball.. but games aren't going to be won by box kicks and Schroeder just doesn't have the delivery or pace to get us going I'm afraid. Cat has no distance on his kicks. He has accuracy but- and for me is critical considering the type of game we are wanting to be playing- not enough distance. Hopefully that gets negated by Taute's huge boot if the guy can play some rugby for more than 15 minutes in a go.

Don't get me wrong though; we are a very good outfit playing a brand of rugby that'll get us more wins than losses and I'd be surprised if we didn't make the play-offs but I'd be equally surprised if we managed to reach a final with what I see as playing with one hand tied behind our backs.

I can't agree. Schroeder touring with the Bokke was seen by most as a move right out of left field and I fully agree. Sure, the guy can kick a ball.. but games aren't going to be won by box kicks and Schroeder just doesn't have the delivery or pace to get us going I'm afraid. Cat has no distance on his kicks. He has accuracy but- and for me is critical considering the type of game we are wanting to be playing- not enough distance. Hopefully that gets negated by Taute's huge boot if the guy can play some rugby for more than 15 minutes in a go.

Don't get me wrong though; we are a very good outfit playing a brand of rugby that'll get us more wins than losses and I'd be surprised if we didn't make the play-offs but I'd be equally surprised if we managed to reach a final with what I see as playing with one hand tied behind our backs.

Yup!

If I had to make a ranking list of scrumhalves that play in SA from good to bad it would look like this:

1. Cobus Reinach
2. Piet van Zyl
3. Francois Hougaard
4. Charl Mcleod
5. Sarel Pretorius
6. Guy Cronje
7. Michael Bondesio
8. Ryno Benjamin
9. Louis Schreuder
10. Nic Groom

Latest posts