• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Super Rugby] South African conference

Yup!

If I had to make a ranking list of scrumhalves that play in SA from good to bad it would look like this:

1. Cobus Reinach
2. Piet van Zyl
3. Francois Hougaard
4. Charl Mcleod
5. Sarel Pretorius
6. Guy Cronje
7. Michael Bondesio
8. Ryno Benjamin
9. Louis Schreuder
10. Nic Groom

A member of the Cobus fan club, welcome.

Demetri Catrakilis mixing football and rugby skills

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cell C Sharks touring squad to take on Saracens FC:

Forwards: Tendai Mtawarira, Dale Chadwick, Lourens Adriaanse, Jannie du Plessis, Bismarck du Plessis, Kyle Cooper, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Stephan Lewies, Etienne Oosthuizen, Willem Alberts, Marcell Coetzee, Keegan Daniel, Jean Deysel, Tera Mtembu.

Backs:
Charl McLeod, Cobus Reinach, Timothy Swiel, Frans Steyn, Heimar Williams, Andre Esterhuizen, Tyler Fisher, Paul Jordaan, Lwazi Mvovo, Odwa Ndungane, Jaco van Tonder, Fred Zeilinga.

A couple of unknowns there for me. Would the Sharks fans here be able to say who'd be playing at 15, 10 and partner Du Toit at lock? I'd assume Zeilinga'd be favourite to continue at 10 in Lambie's absence especially since Swiel can cover for 10 and 15 from the bench unless they want to through Swiel in at the deep end and see how he goes?

Rumours that U21 centre Tyler Fisher will be playing at fullback. Esterhuizen would make more sense, having played their for U21/U19. No Peet Marais, hope we keep him, looked good during CC. Lewies seems to be our backup to PSdT in the lineout, with Oosthuizen and Bresler providing muscle once fit. No sign of Hewitt, perhaps one of Plums signings we don't want.

Personally I don't rate Reinach very highly, he had one good season and a lot of people were losing their heads about him. I remember the same thing happened when Dave von Hoesslin years ago also played for the Sharks. As for Schroeder he is ****. While Cheslin Kolbe is very fast, has an excellent sidestep etc. I don't think he has the power that Jason Robinson had.

Certainly a player that joined the Sharks at the wrong time, but not a bad one at all. Kicking was iffy IIRC, but solid elsewhere.

I'm very pleased to see JLP back at the Bulls. I actually completely forgot about him. Now we have a player who can be back-up to both fly half and centre. always a good thing.

Sharks warm-up team:
15. Tyler Fisher , 14. Odwa Ndungane , 13. Paul Jordaan , 12. Andre Esterhuizen , 11. Lwazi Mvovo , 10. Tim Swiel , 9. Cobus Reinach , 8. Willem Alberts , 7. Jean Deysel , 6. Tera Mtembu , 5. Pieter–Steph du Toit , 4. Etienne Oosthuizen , 3. Jannie du Plessis , 2. Bismarck du Plessis (C) , 1. Tendai Mtawarira

Replacements: 16. Kyle Cooper , 17. Dale Chadwick , 18. Lourens Adriaanse , 19. Stephan Lewies , 20. Jacques Botes , 21. Charl McLeod , 22. Heimar Williams , 23. Jaco van Tonder

VS

Saffacens team:

15 Chris Wyles, 14 James Short, 13 Michael Tagicakibau, 12 Marcelo Bosch, 11 David Strettle, 10 Charlie Hodgson, 9 Neil de Kock, 8 Ernst Joubert, 7 Jacques Burger, 6 Justin Melck, 5 Mouritz Botha, 4 Steve Borthwick (captain), 3 Matt Stevens, 2 Schalk Brits, 1 Richard Barrington.

Replacements: Scott Spurling, Nick Auterac, Petrus Du Plessis, Tom Jubb, Takashi Kikutani, Richard Wigglesworth, Duncan Taylor, Sam Stanley.

Sharks warm-up team:
15. Tyler Fisher , 14. Odwa Ndungane , 13. Paul Jordaan , 12. Andre Esterhuizen , 11. Lwazi Mvovo , 10. Tim Swiel , 9. Cobus Reinach , 8. Willem Alberts , 7. Jean Deysel , 6. Tera Mtembu , 5. Pieter–Steph du Toit , 4. Etienne Oosthuizen , 3. Jannie du Plessis , 2. Bismarck du Plessis (C) , 1. Tendai Mtawarira

Replacements: 16. Kyle Cooper , 17. Dale Chadwick , 18. Lourens Adriaanse , 19. Stephan Lewies , 20. Jacques Botes , 21. Charl McLeod , 22. Heimar Williams , 23. Jaco van Tonder

VS

Saffacens team:

15 Chris Wyles, 14 James Short, 13 Michael Tagicakibau, 12 Marcelo Bosch, 11 David Strettle, 10 Charlie Hodgson, 9 Neil de Kock, 8 Ernst Joubert, 7 Jacques Burger, 6 Justin Melck, 5 Mouritz Botha, 4 Steve Borthwick (captain), 3 Matt Stevens, 2 Schalk Brits, 1 Richard Barrington.

Replacements: Scott Spurling, Nick Auterac, Petrus Du Plessis, Tom Jubb, Takashi Kikutani, Richard Wigglesworth, Duncan Taylor, Sam Stanley.

I wonder if they'll have a braai after the game?? or maybe potjiekos ??

Wonder what the 15 Non-saffas are going to do after the game?

Southern Kings:
BG Uys, Dane van der Westhuyzen, Pieter Stemmet, Steven Sykes, Rynier Bernardo, Paul Schoeman, Darron Nell (captain), Devin Oosthuizen, Jaco Grobler, George Whitehead, Michael Killian, Dwayne Jenner, Ronnie Cooke, Sergeal Petersen, Siviwe Soyizwapi.
Replacements: Albe de Swardt, Brenden Olivier, Vukile Sofisa, Stephan Zaayman, Stephan Greef, Thembelani Bholi, Claude Tshidibi, Sonwabo Majola, Shane Gates, Ntabeni Dukisa, Brian Skosana.
Cheetahs:
Hennie Daniller, Cornal Hendricks, Johann Sadie, Francois Venter, Raymond Rhule, Johan Goosen, Kevin Luiters, Philip van der Walt, Lappies Labuschagne, Jean Cook, Lood de Jager, Francois Uys, Coenie Oosthuizen, Adriaan Strauss (captain), Trevor Nyakane.
Replacements: Ryno Barnes, Caylib Oosthuizen, Nicolaas van Dyk, Ligtoring Landman, Boom Prinsloo, Shaun Venter, Elgar Watts, Rayno Benjamin.

Teams for the Cheetahs' warm up game against the Kings.

I actually find it strange that no-one has Sergeal Petersen or Michael Killian on loan, especially the Lions who have so many backline injuries or even us Stormers with Kolbe out and Habana and Pietersen in France.

I am looking forward to see Jean Cook in a Cheetahs jersey; he should really fit in well there. And then there is Johan Goosen who I am hoping can stay injury free for the season and forseeable future. Hope he hasn't lost that spark due to injury / lack of gametime.

I wonder if they'll have a braai after the game?? or maybe potjiekos ??

Wonder what the 15 Non-saffas are going to do after the game?
Fish and chips?

Fisher at fullback is interesting. Esterhuizen has played FB before,but afaik Fisher has always been a centre. Losing Ludik and Viljoen and only gaining Marais certainly means we need some more options at fullback though. Graaff can play FB as well I think.

Hey guys.

On the Saracens topic, any idea of how the side for today compares to their normal team selection?

Pleased with Esterhuizen, could challenge Steyn soon (or play at OC with him). Reinach was poor, tried to do too much on his own. Runs before passing, kills those outside him.
Hope Mvovo is OK, Ndungane loses more and more speed each season, and wasnt rapid to start with.

Pleased with Esterhuizen, could challenge Steyn soon (or play at OC with him). Reinach was poor, tried to do too much on his own. Runs before passing, kills those outside him.
Hope Mvovo is OK, Ndungane loses more and more speed each season, and wasnt rapid to start with.

I missed the game! I had electrical problems the whole damn weekend thanx to a lightning storm. I read in a Sunday newspaper that what was evident in the game was the type of gameplan Jake White will play with the Sharks. A bit like the 2007 Springboks?

I missed the game! I had electrical problems the whole damn weekend thanx to a lightning storm. I read in a Sunday newspaper that what was evident in the game was the type of gameplan Jake White will play with the Sharks. A bit like the 2007 Springboks?
I don't want to throw comparisons around after one match, but conditions were atrocious, so it's tough to tell. He penalty count made it tough for us to get in gear, but second half we stepped up. Reinach had a poor game, didn't know what style to play. He was excellent off the bench in the CC, so I'd do that for now. Heimar scoring again, some good centre depth these days. Makes. Change from the Terblanche, Swanepoel, Bosman, Jacobs, Joubert era!

White believes in low risk rugby

Think the best guide at the moment to how the Sharks will play lies in the Brumbies game plan of 2013.

The Sharks pack is renowned for being ultra physical and most pundits would agree that the Brumbies pack's physicality (over the past 2 season) was usually under-rated.

Jake White lies on the conservative side of coaching, employing test match type game plans at Super Rugby level - "the side that makes the fewest mistakes wins."

As such expect the Sharks to clear everything from within their own forty. When they run the ball they're likely to go up the middle (Steyn, Alberts) rather than wide (to avoid losing possession).

Their game will be built around the combination of territorial, break-down and set-piece dominance, aiming to pressure the opposition into turn-overs within their own 30 (pressurising set-piece exit strategy), rather than attempting long range running rugby type tries (Cheetahs, Reds, France etc).

Their defence will be stellar. That's Jake Whites' signature.

One thing the Sharks squad is lacking is an out and out fetcher. White signed George Smith to cover David Pocock's absence at the Brumbies. That is evidence (along with Brussow as a constant in his Springbok side) that he appreciates the value of a fetcher. Knowing White, expect him to lure in a fetcher. F Louw would probably be his number 1 target.

White is also big on work rate within the pack (for example employing flank Peter Kimlin as a lock for the Brumbies against sides who were lacking a fetcher or mobility in their loose trio). As such, it would not surprise if Willem Alberts for example played lock against sides who were without a fetcher to capitalize at the breakdown by having "4" rather than 3 loose forwards which would allow 2 of the "4" to play to the ball.

Cheers

We have tried Deysel and Alberts as SRs before, they aren't. Marais, PSdT, oosthuizen are all better options. Alberts is best off the bench.

Funny how white wants a fetcher after his beer remarks a few years back.

PSdT and Marais have fantastic workrates for big guys (not that they're the biggest locks around). BdP and Mtawarira have more than enough impact in general play for front rows. The questions regarding the Sharks pack for me is will JdP come back to the party and what would be the most balanced back row?

Latest posts