• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Super Rugby] South African conference

PSdT and Marais have fantastic workrates for big guys (not that they're the biggest locks around). BdP and Mtawarira have more than enough impact in general play for front rows. The questions regarding the Sharks pack for me is will JdP come back to the party and what would be the most balanced back row?

JdP was severly over-played in 2013 and should soon regain his form. The "new" Sharks (since Brendan Venter got involved - even though he's now with the Kings) will implement rotation more effectively which will suit all of the Sharks Springbok forwards.

As for the back row that's anyone's guess but I'm still convinced that White will opt for a flank that plays to the ball.

P.S PSDT - What a player he is going to turn into!!

White will never get F Louw as he recency renewed for another 3 years.
He has the budget and should buy Brossauw, best option locally.

Brussow would be a dream come true. Would love for the Sharks to get him but he's been so loyal to the Cheetahs that it would be hard to see him leave.

Now that the Sharks are owned by Aspen they can afford any player in world rugby (even to buy them out of contracts) but they are sticking with similar salaries to the Bulls/Stormers while it lasts.

Yeah I heard they are the best financially well off team in the competition, will see where it gets them, remember how the Bulls screwed up by buying all the local youth and then could not afford to play their senior players (at contract renewal time - Jano Vermaak best example)
Hope they have more business sense

They should go and get CJ Stander back, that would be a top buy and should not have let Bryand Stander go..

I hope CJ comes back one day, I rate that guy very highly. He is in my opinion a much better player than Kolisi and deserved to be picked ahead of him for the Boks. The Bulls though messed him around.

Yes I agree on CJ but he left do to lack of game time at the Bulls (and the obsession with size everyone seems to have, including HM)

Some Stormers news from superrugby:

"
The return to fitness of fullback Jaco Taute, who is a strongly built human specimen, has eased some of the worry, but not totally.
"We are still looking for a wing. That search continues," confirmed coach Allister Coetzee at a Stormers press conference.
"It is part of our culture to look for players from our own region first. We have done that, and we are hoping that someone like Pat Howard might come through this year. However, without having any names or specifics in mind at the moment, we are looking outside the region and will not stop our search for what we are looking for."
One potential remedy to the problem, if the more obvious move of shifting skipper Jean de Villiers to the wing is not considered an option, is to move Damian de Allende there. The massively built former Milnerton High School pupil did make his debut for Western Province on the wing in 2012.
"Damian will be considered as a wing and we may well play him there against the Bulls at the weekend," said Coetzee in reference to his selection for the first Super Rugby warm-up match in Polokwane.
"He will probably start on the wing. We will obviously still see him as an option at centre too after his strong season last year, so we may move him into the midfield later in the game."
There is a perception that De Allende lacks the pace for the position – he has explosive pace over the first few metres but doesn't sustain it – but Coetzee said that what was more important was that De Allende work on his positional play.
"That was the problem with him at wing in his first season. We also need to work on his fielding of the ball and his kicking, something that a wing has to do a lot," he said.
Coetzee said he had been impressed with the strongly built utility back Scott van Breda since he came to the Stormers on trial from the Southern Kings, and said he would be keeping him in the squad for Super Rugby.
Meanwhile Taute is not available for the Polokwane match because of muscle tightness, so Coetzee is taking the opportunity to look at a left field option as potential fullback back-up. Ryno Eksteen, the former Bulls Schools flyhalf, has impressed Coetzee hugely during the pre-season and he is likely to get his chance in the last line of defence at some stage of the warm-up fixture.
"Ryno can play fullback, he has played there a lot in the past, and I am really excited about what he can offer and look forward to seeing his contribution," said Coetzee.
Eksteen, secured on contract to WP even before it became clear two years ago that Handre Pollard had signed for the Bulls, was injured for most of his first season in the Cape but is now fully recovered and has worked hard during the preparation phase."

Some Stormers news from superrugby:

"
The return to fitness of fullback Jaco Taute, who is a strongly built human specimen, has eased some of the worry, but not totally.
"We are still looking for a wing. That search continues," confirmed coach Allister Coetzee at a Stormers press conference.
"It is part of our culture to look for players from our own region first. We have done that, and we are hoping that someone like Pat Howard might come through this year. However, without having any names or specifics in mind at the moment, we are looking outside the region and will not stop our search for what we are looking for."
One potential remedy to the problem, if the more obvious move of shifting skipper Jean de Villiers to the wing is not considered an option, is to move Damian de Allende there. The massively built former Milnerton High School pupil did make his debut for Western Province on the wing in 2012.
"Damian will be considered as a wing and we may well play him there against the Bulls at the weekend," said Coetzee in reference to his selection for the first Super Rugby warm-up match in Polokwane.
"He will probably start on the wing. We will obviously still see him as an option at centre too after his strong season last year, so we may move him into the midfield later in the game."
There is a perception that De Allende lacks the pace for the position – he has explosive pace over the first few metres but doesn't sustain it – but Coetzee said that what was more important was that De Allende work on his positional play.
"That was the problem with him at wing in his first season. We also need to work on his fielding of the ball and his kicking, something that a wing has to do a lot," he said.
Coetzee said he had been impressed with the strongly built utility back Scott van Breda since he came to the Stormers on trial from the Southern Kings, and said he would be keeping him in the squad for Super Rugby.
Meanwhile Taute is not available for the Polokwane match because of muscle tightness, so Coetzee is taking the opportunity to look at a left field option as potential fullback back-up. Ryno Eksteen, the former Bulls Schools flyhalf, has impressed Coetzee hugely during the pre-season and he is likely to get his chance in the last line of defence at some stage of the warm-up fixture.
"Ryno can play fullback, he has played there a lot in the past, and I am really excited about what he can offer and look forward to seeing his contribution," said Coetzee.
Eksteen, secured on contract to WP even before it became clear two years ago that Handre Pollard had signed for the Bulls, was injured for most of his first season in the Cape but is now fully recovered and has worked hard during the preparation phase."

The Bold part is something I never thought I would hear from a Stormers/WP coach...

They have Brok Harris, why the concern FFS

Back to an open sider for the Sharks, Jaco Kriel is also a perfect player to try and get but all have propably signed with their teams for a year or two

Marnus Schoeman is an underrated loosie that plays too the ball and should be able to be picked up relatively easily; both Sharks and Stormers need an out-and-out openside. Not the perfect guy perhaps but get-able.

As for the Stormers, I'd have thought Pat Howard on the wing opposite Aplon while Kolbe is out was a no-brainer considering our squad.

Marnus Schoeman is an underrated loosie that plays too the ball and should be able to be picked up relatively easily; both Sharks and Stormers need an out-and-out openside. Not the perfect guy perhaps but get-able.

As for the Stormers, I'd have thought Pat Howard on the wing opposite Aplon while Kolbe is out was a no-brainer considering our squad.

Marnus Schoeman is very underrated, but so is Leon Karemaker. Both Griqua players.

As for the wing situation, I'm sure there is a Capie somewhere with no front teeth that can run very fast... Otherwise get Fabian Juries... He looked fit during the cricket game...

Marnus Schoeman is very underrated, but so is Leon Karemaker. Both Griqua players.

As for the wing situation, I'm sure there is a Capie somewhere with no front teeth that can run very fast... Otherwise get Fabian Juries... He looked fit during the cricket game...

What I think we should get is a big, pacy white winger for once; we have a ton of guys in the Tim Visser mold around the country that don't get a look-in. Guys with pace and power if not the soft skills or ability to play in a position other than wing.

What I think we should get is a big, pacy white winger for once; we have a ton of guys in the Tim Visser mold around the country that don't get a look-in. Guys with pace and power if not the soft skills or ability to play in a position other than wing.

Oh... Like Damian De Allende, Jean De Villiers, Jaque Fourie and Gerhard van den Heever???

Oh... Like Damian De Allende, Jean De Villiers, Jaque Fourie and Gerhard van den Heever???

Well, GvdH and De Allende, ja. Well faster than De Allende. I think the other two (JdV and Fourie) have shown they are more than capable at center even though they started out on the wing. But bigger than those two!!

One of our recent U19 signings, Philip Marais (younger brother of Jandre and Peet) has apparently been considered as a wing down the line; he has been a second row so far (196cm!)

Andries Bekker?

Matfield - a natural winger

DON'T MOCK ME, DAMNIT!!

You know Etzebeth was a winger while at school and sure, you can't compare school positions to adult positions but I am just wondering why aren't our unions playing those guys at wing.. someone like Nick Koster. He was a wing, had he stayed there and developed in that role I'm sure he'd have been a handful.

But that's just my point, you don't see those guys play wing anymore. I've seen and played against many. I myself- though I wouldn't be allowed near a pro team- am 1.92, 106kgs (okay so I picked up 4kgs since school and varsity days) and a few years ago was quite fast with deceptive acceleration. I ran for WP athletics (okay, so it was hurdles but still). My point is actually there were bigger guys around playing wing, guys who could actually pass the ball back to someone etc. I saw them. Where are they now?

One of our recent U19 signings, Philip Marais (younger brother of Jandre and Peet) has apparently been considered as a wing down the line; he has been a second row so far (196cm!)

Now that's exactly what I'm talking about. Bring on the SA George Norths; they're out there. We're the tallest people in the world FSAS. Surely we have some big wings out there.

Emil Schwarz was a big rapid lad before he suffered a career ending knee injury. JP is really the only tall wing, and he is still somewhat lanky. Van den Heever was decently tall, but not a bulky wing. We really could do with some powerful players out wide.

Duhan van der Merwe. EP wing. I think he'll be playing with the Junior Bokke this year. He should be. Other big lads to look out for Cheetahs fullback EW Viljoen and... there is a lad who's name I forgot in Blue Bulls country; more for sheer pace than actual size though he's no midget. Will Edit if I remember or find it somehow somewhere. We're not talking George North here but bigger than the Aplons, Joe Pietersens and Kolbes we're used to here (not that they don't have their places... I mean, HABANA!! is not the biggest but damn) but you need some power in the outbacks IMO, one wing and preferably a bit of size on the FB too is what I'd like to see.

Latest posts