• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Super Rugby] South African conference

Jesse Kriel? Came through in Natal, shame we lost him. All out wings are average size, Robinson, Sithole, Kubika.

EW Viljoen should be in Durban, being a Grey College boy.

Maybe Spies can finally find a useful position, haha.

Last edited:
looks good, but I think this is what our friend really wants:

The Crusaders have included giant Fijian wing Nemani Nadolo in their squad for this year's Super Rugby competition.
Nadolo, 25, currently plays for NEC Green Rockets in Japan and at 1.95m and 130kg will take some stopping

Last edited by a moderator:
looks good, but I think this is what our friend really wants:

The Crusaders have included giant Fijian wing Nemani Nadolo in their squad for this year's Super Rugby competition.
Nadolo, 25, currently plays for NEC Green Rockets in Japan and at 1.95m and 130kg will take some stopping

Vidi, veni.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I will be at the game tomorrow at Polokloftus! Gonna Watch the Vodacom Cup Bulls against the Lions and then the Super 15 Bulls vs Stormers.

I'll let you guys know how it went.

Good and bad from both teams. Bulls will be worried or at least should be worried about the Stormers dominating at the set pieces (until Matfield got in for the line-outs).

I'm very sad Arno Botha got injured again. Hope it's not gonna keep him long out this time but knees are *****es. I don't think he'll displace any of Vermeulen, Alberts or Louw but he is my 1st choice for the bench spot. but knees

Good and bad from both teams. Bulls will be worried or at least should be worried about the Stormers dominating at the set pieces (until Matfield got in for the line-outs).

I'm very sad Arno Botha got injured again. Hope it's not gonna keep him long out this time but knees are *****es. I don't think he'll displace any of Vermeulen, Alberts or Louw but he is my 1st choice for the bench spot. but knees

I wouldn't read too much into that game at all.

It was a very dull match and the newspapers say that the fans were on the edge of their seats throughout the game?? I call BS!

The newspapers didn't once mention the millions of handling errors or the whistle-happy Lourens van der Merwe. Who didn't get much support from his touch-judges.

That said, here are some of the positives out of the game:

Schalk is back - The big guy ran hard, made monster tackles and stole a few balls.
Flip van der Merwe - I don't know who gave him a lashing, but he played exceptionally well. Strong carries and big hits.
Pierre Spies - Took a while to get into the swing of things, but had a few good runs and even made a tackle or 3.
Duane Vermeulen - Whatever Pierre did, Duane did too, and then some. He is the better no. 8.
Jan Serfontein - Got the better of JDV in the match, with JDV missing tackles.

All in all it was big hits, lots of handling errors, Aimless kicking (especially from Gio) and rucks, mauls and scrums.

The newspaper also said the Stormers scored in the dying seconds... BS!! there were 2 minutes played after that try, and the Bulls were camping on the Stormers 5m line that entire time, only for Victor Matfield to knock the ball on right in front of the posts.

tx for the feedback, yes is pre season.
I am a bit worried that the Bulls only have one warm up game - might not be ready when the tournament starts as nothing is better that game time

tx for the feedback, yes is pre season.
I am a bit worried that the Bulls only have one warm up game - might not be ready when the tournament starts as nothing is better that game time

It's a catch 22. As has been evident with Arno Botha, getting injured in the warm-up game.

That said, I think there is method in the madness of having just 1 warm-up game. If you feel your team is up to scratch. From what I saw on Saturday, the Super Rugby can start this weekend. Guys just need to work on the handling.

Nothing stops the Bulls from having another warm-up game against their vodacom cup team. Most of those guys will anyway be part of the Super Rugby squad anyway.

Thanks for the feedback, real pity about Arno. Luckily there is some good back up. Sounds like Jesse Kriel had a good game vs the Lions.

Thanks for the feedback, real pity about Arno. Luckily there is some good back up. Sounds like Jesse Kriel had a good game vs the Lions.

It is a pity about Arno, as it was the same knee that kept him out last year. And it was heavily bandaged! they carried him off the field, but then it looked more like a calf strain than a knee injury as the fisio was busy putting ice on his calf below the knee and she also removed his strapping around the knee.

After the game he was all smiles and even took photos with the fans. So it would be interesting to see if it's as bad as it sounds or just precautionary.

Another thing that was interesting was the Bulls Bench. On the bench was: Marcel van der Merwe, Frik Kirsten, Bandise Maku, Victor Matfield, Jono Ross, Handre Pollard, Rudy Paige and then some other faces which I couldn't recognise from where I was sitting. All of them came onto the field a minute inbetween. Except for Marcel van der Merwe, he and Werner Kruger were swapped every 15 minutes... Which makes me think they were testing a way to keep the props fresher.

I see Arno is out for 6 months, same ACL got injured again.

Pity, he was my 2nd fantasy SR pick. My 1st was another up and coming SA star... So no Botha or Etzebeth till much later then T_T

6 Months! Man this guy has some bad luck!

I wonder if the Bulls are now regretting of CJ Stander and Jean Cook going away! Because Jonno Ross is crap!

Now they can use all the people they buy up - See two big Jacques waiting to be used or they will leave as well

Now they can use all the people they buy up - See two big Jacques waiting to be used or they will leave as well

Haha!!

The Stormers should just shut up about buying up players... Carizza being the latest one! Not even a bloody Saffa!!

Haha!!

The Stormers should just shut up about buying up players... Carizza being the latest one! Not even a bloody Saffa!!

WhooohWhooh hooohoho! Wag net so 'n bietjie!

One player this season does not a mercenary team make! Carizza probably won't even get game time behind Steenkamp, Botha and Elstadt (unless lock is the position we get nailed for depth this season).

WhooohWhooh hooohoho! Wag net so 'n bietjie!

One player this season does not a mercenary team make! Carizza probably won't even get game time behind Steenkamp, Botha and Elstadt (unless lock is the position we get nailed for depth this season).

If you are only going to use those 3 then you will have trouble... Luckily you have Michael Rhodes too... or did he defect back to the Lions??

Hein let's not do the *** for tat thing this year as rather talk sense and facts.
The Bulls got a decent amount of flankers in the last few years, be it bought or in lucky packets.
So many were "attracted" that some has moved on
CJ - Ireland
Jean Cook - Cheetahs
Jacques - Waratahs

Hence me saying use the other big names or they will leave as well, this is simple fact of rugby and life

There's Rhodes as well, yes. I don't see him play unless in case of injury cover.

Latest posts