• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Super Rugby] South African conference

Draggs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Sharks.png

The Sharks have been linked with 20-year old Second Row Etienne Oosthuizen. Oosthuizen was most recently with the ACT-based side the Brumbies, after signing from the Lions in 2012. Oosthuizen could be reunited with former coach Jake White, to also left Canberra for Natal in the post-season. Hansie Graaff has had a six month extension, making him a Shark until April. The utility back missed out on Currie Cup selection through injuries, and faces stern competition in the backline.

Signings: Lourens Adriaanse (tighthead prop) from Cheetahs; Marco Wentzel (second row), from Wasps, during Currie Cup; Timo Swiel (fullback/standoff), from Western Province

Departures: JC Janse van Rensburg (prop), loaned from Lions now at Bayonne; Craig Burden (hooker), to Toulon; Jan Andre Marais (second row) to Bordeaux; Franco van der Merwe (second row) returned to Lions; Derick Minnie (flanker), returned to Lions; Meyer Bosman (inside centre/stand off), to Stade Francais; Piet Lindeque (centre) to Cheetahs; Andries Coetzee (fullback/wing), returned to Lions; Louis Ludik (fullback/outside centre), to Agen; Riaan Viljoen (fullback/standoff), to Red Hurricanes

Coaching staff-
Out: John Plumtree (head coach) to Ireland; Hugh Reece-Edwards, released; Grant Bashford, released
In: Jake White (director of rugby), from Brumbies; Brad Macleod-Henderson (forwards coach), from Hilton College; Sean Everitt (back coach), from Sharks U21

Anticipated promotion from Currie Cup (no Sharks SR experience): Stephan Lewies (second row), Brynard Stander (flanker), Heimar Williams (inside centre), SP Marais (fullback/wing), Hansie Graaff (standoff, centre, fullback), from Cheetahs

Last edited:
Your turn-over on locks has been huge recently!! I suppose you guys are gonna settle on Peet and Pieter-Steph now? Do you know when the SA sides are gonna announce finalised squads? What does the Sharks matchday 23 look like in your view? While I'm at it, what are your views on the new bylaws governing energy efficiency in the built environment of SA?

1. Tendai Mtawarira*+, Dale Chadwick+, Danie Mienie+
2. Bismarck du Plessis*, Kyle Cooper+, Monde Hadebe+
3. Jannie du Plessis*, Lourens Adriaanse*, Wiehahn Herbst+

4. Peet Marais+, Etienne Oosthuizen
5. Pieter-Steph du Toit*+, Marco Wentzel

6. Jacques Botes, Marcell Coetzee*+, Francois Kleinhans
7. Willem Alberts*, Jean Deysel, Brynard Stander+
8. Keegan Daniel*+, Tera Mtembu

9. Charl McLeod, Cobus Reinach+, Stefan Ungerer+, Hanco Venter+
10. Patrick Lambie*+, Fred Zeilinga+, Robert du Preez+

11. Lwazi Mvovo*+, Siziko Maseko
12. Francois Steyn*, Tim Whitehead, Heimar Williams+
13. Paul Jordaan+, Andre Esterhuizen+
14. JP Pietersen*+, Odwa Ndungane*
15. SP Marais, Sean Robinson+

* denotes Springboks
+ denotes players that came through the academy

Some new guys like Robinson, Esterhuizen, Mienie, Venter, Ungerer and du Preez, but I really think some of these will see some game-time in 2014.

That's a mean starting team and the direct replacements are for the most part not really a step down. The Sharks will have to sort out their win-one-lose-one early season pattern as I think the competition for play-off places keeps getting tougher each year.

[2014 Super Rugby] Stormers

I'll update this OP as the squad takes shape. Any info will be appreciated.

PROP:
Steven Kitshoff
Pat Cilliers
Frans Malherbe

HOOKER:
Scarra Ntubeni

LOCK:
Eben Etzebeth
De Kock Steenkamp
Manuel Carizza (Argentina)
Ruan Botha

BACKROW:
Duane Vermeulen
Siya Kolisi
Schalk Burger

UTILITY FORWARD:
Deon Fourie (open-side / hooker)
Michael Rhodes (blind-side / lock)
Rynhardt Elstadt (blind-side / lock)

SCRUMHALF:
Louis Schreuder
Nic Groom
Nicolas Vergallo - rumored (Argentina)

FLYHALF:
Peter Grant
Demetri Catrakilis
Gary van Aswegen
Kurt Coleman

CENTER:
Jean de Villiers
Juan de Jongh

UTILITY BACK:
Gio Aplon (wing / fullback)
Jaco Taute (fullback / center)
Damian de Allende (center / wing)
Cheslin Kolbe (wing / fullback)
Lionel Mapoe - rumored (wing / center)

Last edited:
That's a mean starting team and the direct replacements are for the most part not really a step down. The Sharks will have to sort out their win-one-lose-one early season pattern as I think the competition for play-off places keeps getting tougher each year.

Well, maybe we should get through the first 6 games without any major injuries. In recent years we've had to miss guys like Ludik, Lambie, Bismarck, Beast, Alberts, Deysel, Whitehead, Steyn and du Toit for several weeks due to injury, and usually 2 or 3 at a time.

When you look at the teams that go all the way, they usually have just 1 or 2 major injuries, not 6.

Well, maybe we should get through the first 6 games without any major injuries. In recent years we've had to miss guys like Ludik, Lambie, Bismarck, Beast, Alberts, Deysel, Whitehead, Steyn and du Toit for several weeks due to injury, and usually 2 or 3 at a time.

When you look at the teams that go all the way, they usually have just 1 or 2 major injuries, not 6.

True, Sharks and Stormers were foocked for injuries last year. Stormers currently only without Taute. Hope both teams stay in good shape injury-wise.

The only real worry now is Jannie du Plessis who needs a rest but we have Adriaanse to cover. I just want the Sharks to win the damn thing for once. We've been in the final 4(!) times without ever winning it.

So we have lost since 2013:

Martin Bezuidenhout (on loan from Lions)
Tiaan Liebenberg ?
Andries Bekker
Dewald Duvenhage
Elton Jantjies (on loan from Lions)
Bryan Habana
Joe Pietersen
Gerhard van den Heever

- The emergence of Damian de Allende and Cheslin Kolbe to some extent make up for the loss of the 3 outback players leaving.
- Scarra has established himself as a very able hooker which has been a weak spot for us.
- Dewald Duvenhage and Elton Jantjies aren't major losses even if their replacements aren't world class either and the halves remain an area where the Stormers might not be 'up to scratch' for a team that is chasing the ***le.

So we have lost since 2013:

Martin Bezuidenhout (on loan from Lions)
Tiaan Liebenberg ?
Andries Bekker
Dewald Duvenhage
Elton Jantjies (on loan from Lions)
Bryan Habana
Joe Pietersen
Gerhard van den Heever

- The emergence of Damian de Allende and Cheslin Kolbe to some extent make up for the loss of the 3 outback players leaving.
- Scarra has established himself as a very able hooker which has been a weak spot for us.
- Dewald Duvenhage and Elton Jantjies aren't major losses even if their replacements aren't world class either and the halves remain an area where the Stormers might not be 'up to scratch' for a team that is chasing the ***le.

Habana is arguably the best winger in world rugby .major loss. Jo pietersen is a useful full back,excellent goal kicker and good squad member.major loss.Becker is one if the best locks in South Africa. Major loss.Impact will be felt. Elton janties was very poor for you.

1. Tendai Mtawarira*+, Dale Chadwick+, Danie Mienie+
2. Bismarck du Plessis*, Kyle Cooper+, Monde Hadebe+
3. Jannie du Plessis*, Lourens Adriaanse*, Wiehahn Herbst+

4. Peet Marais+, Etienne Oosthuizen
5. Pieter-Steph du Toit*+, Marco Wentzel

6. Jacques Botes, Marcell Coetzee*+, Francois Kleinhans
7. Willem Alberts*, Jean Deysel, Brynard Stander+
8. Keegan Daniel*+, Tera Mtembu

9. Charl McLeod, Cobus Reinach+, Stefan Ungerer+, Hanco Venter+
10. Patrick Lambie*+, Fred Zeilinga+, Robert du Preez+

11. Lwazi Mvovo*+, Siziko Maseko
12. Francois Steyn*, Tim Whitehead, Heimar Williams+
13. Paul Jordaan+, Andre Esterhuizen+
14. JP Pietersen*+, Odwa Ndungane*
15. SP Marais, Sean Robinson+

* denotes Springboks
+ denotes players that came through the academy

Some new guys like Robinson, Esterhuizen, Mienie, Venter, Ungerer and du Preez, but I really think some of these will see some game-time in 2014.
Kankowski? Hewitt has two years on his contract as well. I can see Wentzel being a player-coach with emphasis on the latter. Lewies might see some game time, but mostly VC. Esterhuizen is an inside centre, Fisher was the U21 outside centre. Whitehead was an OC for much of his career, we need him there. Can't see Kleinhans sticking around, has barely been used in two years. Downey will probably stick around over him.

Not sure what the hell happened with Kankowski man. The guy is great in every aspect needed by an 8-man but since his return from Japan, he was axed by Plumtree. Hope he gets back in the fray, but not holding my breath.

With Oosthuizen signed, Lewies might be back in the Vodacom Cup. He's still very young. Bresler is also an option when he recovers from his injury.

Esterhuizen can play both positions and I feel he's better outside. He played outside center until Williams was promoted. Whitehead is also an option there. Even Heimar Williams can play inside and outside. We have good depth.

Downey is not Super Rugby material.

Esterhuizen might lack the pace we need at OC. Furthermore, his bulk would be used in the absence of Francois Steyn.
I like Anton, but I feel that we have players that offer more. Signing Hewitt for two years might be a mistake. Peet is worthy of starting in SR and given a chance. Ousthuizen, if brought it, would be thereabouts in the 23, or there would be no point signing him.

Kankowski is too hot and cold. Keegan is more abrasive, to be honest. Mtembu is improving as well. I like the kid.

BTW, McLeod is a Springbok. 2011 during the PdV 'injury' crisis, during he away leg of the Tri Nations.

Esterhuizen might lack the pace we need at OC. Furthermore, his bulk would be used in the absence of Francois Steyn.
I like Anton, but I feel that we have players that offer more. Signing Hewitt for two years might be a mistake. Peet is worthy of starting in SR and given a chance. Ousthuizen, if brought it, would be thereabouts in the 23, or there would be no point signing him.

Kankowski is too hot and cold. Keegan is more abrasive, to be honest. Mtembu is improving as well. I like the kid.

BTW, McLeod is a Springbok. 2011 during the PdV 'injury' crisis, during he away leg of the Tri Nations.

Kankowski is a very exciting player.A pleasure to watch in super rugby,

**** that's great!
What we will do with our other standoffs? Hope we don't indicate to JL du Plessis he should move on.
Maybe we will play Swiel at fullback?

Habana is arguably the best winger in world rugby .major loss. Jo pietersen is a useful full back,excellent goal kicker and good squad member.major loss.Becker is one if the best locks in South Africa. Major loss.Impact will be felt. Elton janties was very poor for you.

I actually agree with all of this.

That being said, a wing is more easily replaced than a key loose forward or midfielder. Bekker is arguably their biggest loss, though the South Africans seem to spit out world class locks every year or two ;)

[2014 Super Rugby] The Bulls

Well it seems like we start a bit earlier than usual with these threads, so why not join in.

first off, I very excited about the future of the Bulls. But in the same breath, I'm very nervous, because we will have a very young squad next year.

Here's the predicted squad so far:

Props:
Dean Greyling
Frik Kirsten
Werner Kruger
Andrew Beewinkel
Marcel van der Merwe

Hookers:
Bongi Mbonambi
Bandise Maku
Jaco Visagie
Kallie Visagie

Locks:
Flip van der Merwe
Grant Hattingh
Paul Willemse
Irne Herbst
David Bullbring
Schalk van Heerden
**Victor Matfield**

Loose Forwards:
Deon Stegman
Jacques Du Plessis
Jacques Engelbrecht
Pierre Spies
Wiaan Liebenberg
Jonno Ross
Arno Botha

Scrumhalves:
Francois Hougaard
Piet van Zyl
Rudy Paige
Lohan Jacobs

Fly Halves:
Handre Pollard
Tony Jantjies
Louis Fouche

Centres:
Jan Serfontein
JJ Engelbrecht
Ulrich Beyers
William Small-Smith
Waylon Murray

Wings & Fullback:
Jurgen Visser
Bjorn Basson
Sampie Mastriet
Clayton Blommetjies
Akona Ndungane
Travis Ismael

Players we lost:
Morne Steyn
Dewald Potgieter
Jacques Potgieter
Chilliboy Ralepelle
Jano Vermaak
Juandre Kruger
Francois Venter

When I look at that squad, I see so much potential. But all these guys have big flaws... and the one which bothers me the most is their defence. All these guys are focussed on attack rugby, but I fear when they have to defend, they will leak a lot of tries...

Latest posts