• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Super Rugby] South African conference

The Bulls struggled in CC BUT you must remember they were without the senior guys through injury or Bok duty and it showed, particularly the backrow was terribly unbalanced, green and got exposed big time. I think that ''blooding' of the guys that will do bench duty will help you when the season gets long and the 1st choice players aren't available. You'll be fine. I am picking the bulls for a 6th to 8th place finish. We now have 4 teams in the SA conference capable of reaching the play-offs which makes it more difficult to get in for all of our teams but it's a good thing for SA rugby as a whole. The bloody Lions will probably be good for a few upsets as well.

I expect the Sharks to be pushing for the no.1 spot in SA, they just have too much quality and depth not to pick them for the conference ***le but that said I called it the same last year and they ended up no.4 in SA.

The Bulls struggled in CC BUT you must remember they were without the senior guys through injury or Bok duty and it showed, particularly the backrow was terribly unbalanced, green and got exposed big time. I think that ''blooding' of the guys that will do bench duty will help you when the season gets long and the 1st choice players aren't available. You'll be fine. I am picking the bulls for a 6th to 8th place finish. We now have 4 teams in the SA conference capable of reaching the play-offs which makes it more difficult to get in for all of our teams but it's a good thing for SA rugby as a whole. The bloody Lions will probably be good for a few upsets as well.

I expect the Sharks to be pushing for the no.1 spot in SA, they just have too much quality and depth not to pick them for the conference ***le but that said I called it the same last year and they ended up no.4 in SA.

yeah, I'm interested to see how the team will go about and the type of gameplan they adopt.

Our strengths will most certainly be the set phases. Flip has come a long way from what he was, and now has become a great line-out practitioner, and with Paul Willemse there, our line-out will be a good weapon. Our props are all great scrummagers (yes, even Dean) and with these new rules, I think this facet of the game will an area we will try to dominate.

With that, I think Pierre Spies will again become the powerful weapon he once was. I know many won't agree with me, and this all depends on him being lean and quick off the mark, but there's no-one better at picking up from behind the scrum and running through holes and scoring tries. Our forwards will be able to set up this for Pierre and possibly even Vleis.

With Arno Botha back, our loose trio will also be a bigger threat than they were in the Currie Cup.

But my worry is 9/10 and 15. For once I fear we will lose the kicking contest, and with the recent games, stats show that the team that kicks the most, wins their games. Both tactically and at goal, we will be under threat, with only Louis Fouche that is accurate. Pollard has been very wayward with kicking at goal, and Jurgen Visser has a tendency to mistime his kicks a lot.

I will be in attendance at the Bulls vs Stormers warm-up match in Polokwane at the Peter Mokaba Stadium (or as I like to call it, PolokLoftus). let's see what happens.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the pack. Flip, Botha, Stegmann and Spies will add a lot in that department. Spies if only for his leadership and work at the line-out. I don't see him as a threat with ball in hand.

Your backs are young but competent and dangerous on the attack. IF they can tighten up on defence you'll go far.

A lot depends on how you go about playing though. I think you'll have to change the way you play to suit the players. Hougaard and Piet van Zyl are guys that shine when they are allowed to take on the fringes of the rucks. Pollard has the ability to take on the line and has a very good flat pass. If you are going to ask these guys to stand deep though and rely on kicking... well, they simply aren't naturals in that department and it might be ugly seeing opposition run back bad kicks especially against the still suspect defence.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the pack. Flip, Botha, Stegmann and Spies will add a lot in that department. Spies if only for his leadership and work at the line-out. I don't see him as a threat with ball in hand.

Your backs are young but competent and dangerous on the attack. IF they can tighten up on defence you'll go far.

A lot depends on how you go about playing though. I think you'll have to change the way you play to suit the players. Hougaard and Piet van Zyl are guys that shine when they are allowed to take on the fringes of the rucks. Pollard has the ability to take on the line and has a very good flat pass. If you are going to ask these guys to stand deep though and rely on kicking... well, they simply aren't naturals in that department and it might be ugly seeing opposition run back bad kicks especially against the still suspect defence.

I'm not worried about that... Frans isn't the type of coach to force down a style of play on an individual like HM... And I think with our new coaching structures this part has evolved a lot. If I look at this year's Super Rugby Tournament, we played to our strengths, and didn't let the players play a style they didn't feel comfortable with.

Exclusive Photo of Pierre Spies in the new 2014 Bulls away jersey:

1452136_616544691738264_341820100_n.jpg

Ha!

On a more serious note.. do you know if there is a set date for when team line-ups are going to be finalized? I think NZ has it right; they've already sewn up the team and are probably hard at work sorting out their game plan and fitness while some of our teams are still looking this way and that to try and make a signing or two more and aren't working from the same sheet keeping the test team in mind like the NZ teams are.

I think the Sharks and to a lesser extent the Cheetahs (but they don't have the depth) are the only SA teams with anything close to a settled squad from 2013 looking at 2014. Wonder what Jake White is getting up to in Zululand..

Ha!

On a more serious note.. do you know if there is a set date for when team line-ups are going to be finalized? I think NZ has it right; they've already sewn up the team and are probably hard at work sorting out their game plan and fitness while some of our teams are still looking this way and that to try and make a signing or two more and aren't working from the same sheet keeping the test team in mind like the NZ teams are.

I think the Sharks and to a lesser extent the Cheetahs (but they don't have the depth) are the only SA teams with anything close to a settled squad from 2013 looking at 2014. Wonder what Jake White is getting up to in Zululand..

Well, As usual I think our squads will be announced in January.

Our teams seem to use the November/December period on conditioning (which I don't have a problem with) and then start with the squad and gameplan in January/February. There is method in the madness as you can't really do your gameplan properly without trying it out against opposition, and that's where the warm-up games are so important.

I also think it's a bit premature to pick a squad now. If WP for instance had to pick a team now, would Etzebeth make the cut? his injury has been confirmed to keep him out of action for nearly 6 months. so he's basically out of contention for the normal season. But if he gets some recovery time now, and go for a check-up in January/February possibility are there that he might get an earlier start than was expected.

A lot of Springboks use this time to go for operations or fisio treatments on ****les. So I like the current system we employ. We also have to give some of the guys a rest. Just look at what a bit of rest did to Fourie Du Preez and Morne Steyn's performance.

Ha!

Visit the Sharks thread and you will soon find out! :D

Sharks snap up WP youngster
Flyhalf Tim Swiel, part of this year's winning Under-21 Western Province team, has opted to accept an offer from the Sharks and will move to Durban to further his rugby career.
74f80e92c7cc496f8e47d8c1285f773d.jpg

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Sharks-snap-up-WP-youngster-20131102

I was wondering when he would move on. I can't say I blame him. I thought he'd end up at the Bulls though. The hard surfaces would suit him better IMO and I believe they need another 10 while we at WP are happy to not get any promising halfbacks in. Would he get a bench spot at the Sharks? I don't assume he'd get in ahead of Lambie or SP Marais.

He might get a change at FB with Marais injured for the first few weeks. Ludik and Viljoen have both left as well, so we only have van Tonder and Ndungane. I have no clue where we want to use Graaff, but we extended his contract until midway through 2014. Not sure if we have Robinson in our immediate sights. I have seen other outside backs in training pictures but not him.

Luke Watson to join Sharks?
Cape Town - Sharks coach Jake White could consider picking Luke Watson in his squad for next year's Super Rugby competition.
However, according to Watson, there is no more bad blood between the two.

Sport24

Thoughts? Personal issues aside, is he necessary?
6 Daniel, Botes, Kleinhans
7 Alberts, Deysel, Coetzee, Downey
8 Kankowski, Mtembu

Shame we lost Stander, but even with him leaving we are covered throughout backrow.

Now as far as his past goes, maybe he has matured, and isn't the arrogant little *** he once was. I think people deserve a second chance, so if White and Smit feel he has changed, then I would trust their judgement. He was developing into a decent prospect a decade or so ago with us, before all the Cheeky stuff kicked off. If he plays his guts out for us, then good enough for me.

The shirts by BLK were announced a couple of minutes ago:

24pgxnp.jpg

I actually love them. Very classy

Love it, I just wish the white piping on the home, and black on away was red.
Also, one of the patches on the home kit should be white like on the away kit. I'll make something to show a bit later.

I think we have gotten used to the color red being part of our kit, with Red and Mr Price as our sponsors, and ABSA in the Currie Cup of course, but having just plain white and black shirts, is a big step up. Very classy, simple design. No over-the-top modernized crap.

Did the whole red piping thing and it didn't look as good as I expected, fair enough. Like the new one, clean and modern without looking kak.

Luke Watson to join Sharks?

Sport24

Thoughts? Personal issues aside, is he necessary?
6 Daniel, Botes, Kleinhans
7 Alberts, Deysel, Coetzee, Downey
8 Kankowski, Mtembu

Shame we lost Stander, but even with him leaving we are covered throughout backrow.

Now as far as his past goes, maybe he has matured, and isn't the arrogant little *** he once was. I think people deserve a second chance, so if White and Smit feel he has changed, then I would trust their judgement. He was developing into a decent prospect a decade or so ago with us, before all the Cheeky stuff kicked off. If he plays his guts out for us, then good enough for me.

You can never have enough quality players. The last few years have shown us that. You always get some injuries and having Watson (and some other Kings players for that matter) to added to our team will only give us a better chance.

I personally feel the Sharks are in for a final this year.
All is coming into place now, players and management - ball is in their hands and the time is now.

Cheetahs will again beat more sides than one expects prior to the start of the competition, if the can build on the momentum they could upset the cards, massively.

Lions in Johan Ackerman has a coach the players believe in, they play a better brand of rugby now but I doubt they have the squad to take it all the way, expect an improved showing and an upset or two against touring teams,

Latest posts