• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby play-off B: Sharks v Highlanders

To be honest, it's the support runner's timing that is perfect as well. Amazing to watch.

also, yes. But the pass made the try, the guy was "well met" as the saffa pundit said and on his way down, on his knees dying, about to land his face on the ground and the ball still out of his hands and flying in is the try-scorer. Our guys in Europe would never have made the pass.

Both semi's so far have had a lot of good rugby. I don't know who I'm supporting. I don't think the Sharks can go all the way so I'd actually prefer their Bokke to get some time off. I mean, if they manage a win here it's a trip to Christchurch and if they manage that it's either Sydney or a flight back to face the Brumbies at home; just too much travelling.

also, yes. But the pass made the try, the guy was "well met" as the saffa pundit said and on his way down, on his knees dying, about to land his face on the ground and the ball still out of his hands and flying in is the try-scorer. Our guys in Europe would never have made the pass.

Agreed, the pass was awesome. I think you need both attributes, and that's what us in Europe are very poor at. We don't even look for the offload as we know that 99% of the time there's no one there! Better to go into contact and recycle.

Felt for Deysel just now. He's been excellent today.

but you're right though. It's the off-load AND the presence of the guys. We lack both these things, not just the offloading presence of mind/attempting/skill.

"lucky defense" says the Saffa pundit ? What fkng bad faith, horrible comment. That was excellent timing from Ben Smith and strength to poke the ball away from the to-be-try-scorer, clearly.

So the Sharks go to take on the Crusaders again but I'd be surprised if they managed to beat them again TBH. Waratahs should have the Brumbies covered as well.

The Highlander's showed some amazing counter attacking. Unfortunately, it's difficult to win a game of rugby when your setpieces are an utter shambles. Highlander's scrum was utterly humiliated. They didn't effectively stop lineout drives. It's actually a miracle they came as close as they did, it took some utter moments of brilliance from the backline. Even when they were ahead it felt like all the Sharks had to do was opperate some kind of setpiece within the Highlanders 22 to eventually be awarded points.

real good game. Malakai Fekitoa was a bit personal on a couple of plays tonight, but he's really a brilliant Rugby talent. Yes he's strong and athletic but he's much more than that too, he's not your typical Islander type center, he's special. Old Conrad Smith can leave with a fairly confident and relaxed state of mind, not that the former is ever going to be as skilled as Smith, but still. He's fantastic news for the All-Blacks, and he's still so young and already what an impact. Lead SR in defenders beaten this regular season, didn't he ? Monster tackler too...if he can make better decisions with the ball, when to pass/when not to, and upgrade his passing game just a tad, he'll be a fkng masterpiece at outside center.

Wow! Highlanders got bloody close didn't they! Still, shame it wasn't a win - the 'landers counterattack was brilliant and it really exposed the Shawks on a number of occasions. If it were more even in their set-piece they could have won this 10.

Last edited:
Bugger.

While it is great that we got close (as I feared it would be a more convincing win to the Sharks) now I'm disappointed we didn't go all the way and pick up the win. As expected the Sharks dominance at the set-piece proved the key. In fact I don't even think 'dominance' is the correct word - quite simply we were annihilated at scrum time. That 19 year-old Shark LH prop looks to have a big future ahead of him! The Sharks physically dominated up front in the loose too - Coetzee, B du Plessis, Alberts, and Deysel in particular were standouts in this area.

I thought Christie was the pick of our forwards though he was largely confined to a defensive role. Manu and Wheeler got through some good work too, and Evans made a good impact once he came on.

Smith played well at halfback, Sopoaga was solid at 10, and I thought Burleigh played his best match in some years at 12 for the Highlanders. He looked sharp on attack, his passing was good, and he made his tackles for a change! Fekitoa continued his outstanding season, while both Buckman and Osbourne looked sharp out wide (though Osbourne did make a few too many errors). Ben Smith was the best player on the park (as usual). Not only was he breaking the line but he was putting others into gaps with his passing, stealing the Sharks ball at the breakdown, and making key try saving tackles. People may not know this but I believe he is quite a handy player.

Last edited:
Think most things have been said, I owe burliegh an apology, played well, think he takes some pressure of Lima as a kicker, I remember saying it last year or maybe at the start if this year, if were going to play him he looks like he needs to start, not an impact player, a bit embarrassed with the scrums...not even close, surprised we got as much ball as we did. In improvement on the last three years and I think most if the team is locked in for another year

One of the best parties ever at my place. All Sharks supporters part from 2 of us.
Great vibe and they went big...

Sharks did well to come back every time and Highlanders performed better that I expected.
Saders with be an all together different prospect

Latest posts