• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby play-off B: Sharks v Highlanders

He makes too many mistakes in a game. And I for one haven't heard of any other refs so often saying "my mistake" during a game.

I think his problem is his interpretation of certain areas of the laws, and how the way he interprets it, leaves him open for criticism, which often happens.

He's been better than Jaco Peyper though...

Walsh makes mistakes (like any referee), but in my opinion I don't think he noticeably makes more mistakes than any other ref. I think he is pretty consistent in his rulings (which is a key thing for me), and seems to let the game flow pretty well (as long as he gets plenty of time in the spotlight too). He is clearly the best Aussie ref (which perhaps isn't saying much!), so I suppose he was always going to be chosen for this match. I just find it difficult watching him referee as when I see him I have an overwhelming urge to punch him in the face ;)

I actually quite like Peyper (indeed I rate most of the South African referees). He is still pretty in-experienced but he seems to have a good feel for the game.

I actually don't think Walsh makes significantly more mistakes than other referees, but he does say "my mistake" a lot... It's perfectly healthy to admit to your mistakes (or you'll never be able to learn from them), but IMO Walsh is too blunt about it and it undermines his authority. Other referees also catch their mistakes and adjust their calls (minor stuff, like which team gets the scrum feed) either on their own or according to the assistant referee's advice, but they do so without calling attention to it. There is such a thing as too much communication.

Yep, I agree entirely with this. I think it is just his own special way of drawing more attention to himself....

Last edited:
my problem is his record with us...what was it? 23 played and the highlanders have lost 20 of them? something like that, statistically unlikely considering since 1996 we have a 45% win record.....

I'm picking the Highlanders this week. Sharks look great and easily favourites but I'm betting on this game to be an upset.

I'm picking the Highlanders this week. Sharks look great and easily favourites but I'm betting on this game to be an upset.

Did the sharks really look great though? They were awful against the Cheetahs, and to be honest for long stretches of the Stormers game they were pretty ordinary I thought.

Did the sharks really look great though? They were awful against the Cheetahs, and to be honest for long stretches of the Stormers game they were pretty ordinary I thought.

I honestly havent seen that game. I havent seen the Sharks play lately, but I say great based on their earlier games and the calibre of their players. If the Sharks keep all their games at home, they can win it. However I just gotta feeling about the Highlanders they've had an excellent season compared to last year and I think their style troubles the Sharks.

I retract my statement great now that you've informed be about the games you've mentioned however we'll all be expecting them to rise to the occasion this weekend.

I honestly havent seen that game. I havent seen the Sharks play lately, but I say great based on their earlier games and the calibre of their players. If the Sharks keep all their games at home, they can win it. However I just gotta feeling about the Highlanders they've had an excellent season compared to last year and I think their style troubles the Sharks.

I retract my statement great now that you've informed be about the games you've mentioned however we'll all be expecting them to rise to the occasion this weekend.

The Sharks can't have all their games at home because they finished 3rd overall, meaning they'll have to play the Crusaders in Christchurch if they beat the Highlanders. They could still get a home Grand Final though, providing they overcome the now full strength Crusaders and the winner of the Brumbies/Chiefs match knocks off the Waratahs in Sydney the following week.

I think considering the type of rugby that is played in the play-offs and the Highlanders dip in form the Sharks should take this one. It's mostly academic though as they lost the season when they lost to the cheaters (and us at home to an extent) it will take a crazy performance to beat an in form Crusaders side in Christchurch and a miracle to beat the Tahs should they get that far.
Anyway anything can happen but the odds of the Sharks winning this are probably one of the lowest, I would favour everyone else except maybe the Highlanders (and maybe the Brumbies) above them. Doesn't mean I won't be supporting the Sharks wholeheartedly of course!

Really the Warratahs deserve to win, and if the Sharks can't win it, I hope they do. NZ as a conference has been great, but they've all had enough issues that they don't really look like a championship side.

Last edited:
I see Pat Lambie might be starting.

Also I like the use of wording for the article on Supersport:

Could Jake make his White Sharks Great?

I think considering the type of rugby that is played in the play-offs and the Highlanders dip in form the Sharks should take this one. It's mostly academic though as they lost the season when they lost to the cheaters (and us at home to an extent) it will take a crazy performance to beat an in form Crusaders side in Christchurch and a miracle to beat the Tahs should they get that far.
Anyway anything can happen but the odds of the Sharks winning this are probably one of the lowest, I would favour everyone else except maybe the Highlanders (and maybe the Brumbies) above them. Doesn't mean I won't be supporting the Sharks wholeheartedly of course!

Really the Warratahs deserve to win, and if the Sharks can't win it, I hope they do. NZ as a conference has been great, but they've all had enough issues that they don't really look like a championship side.

I certainly agree the Sharks should be clear favourites, but to be honest I don't actually think the Highlanders are having a dip in form. Yes we have lost a lot of games recently, but I think that has more to do with the quality of opposition we have been playing. At the start of the season we had a run of 'easy' matches allowing us to get near the top of the points table. Over the 2nd half of the season we have had far more difficult matches - in the last two weeks we have played the 1st and 2nd ranked teams at their home grounds!

It should be an interesting clash of styles in the weekend. Looking at some season stats (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/statscentre.cfm) it was interesting to note how few tries the Sharks have scored this season (29 - 2nd last in the competition), and how few clean breaks they have made (78 - again 2nd last in the competition). In contrast the Highlanders are near the top of the table in terms of clean breaks and defenders beaten (but only in the middle of the table in terms of tries). The big area where the Sharks have a clear edge is the lineout though, with the Highlanders having statistically he 2nd worst lineout in the competition. Statistically both sides win scrums at a similar percentage but I'm sure the Sharks will fancy their chances here, and after seeing the Crusaders score 3 tries from lineout mauls against the Highlanders last weekend I'm sure the Sharks will be targeting the Highlanders in this area too....

If the Highlanders are going to have a chance to pull off the upset obviously they need to be competitive in the set piece. If they get destroyed like they did against the Crusaders they are going to get well beaten again. There are 3 easy things we need to do to improve the lineout (1) Play Ged Robinson at hooker. Mitchell and Coltman have both struggled at lineout time all season. Robinson may not be as powerful as Coltman or as dynamic as Mitchell but he is clearly our best option at hooker in my opinion. I would be happy if he played the full 80 minutes (2) Start Evans at 6. Not only is his work at the breakdown invaluable, but he is also probably our best lineout jumper (either at 2 or at the back). We would lose some physicality with him at 6, but I don't think we are going to beat the Sharks by playing them at their own game (3) Simplify the lineout. For some reason we seemed obsessed with throwing the ball to the back of the lineout (after shuffling back and forwards 20 times). A simple throw to the front (or middle) may not offer quite as quick ball to the backs, but at least we might actually win some of our own ball!

Scrums are a concern for us, and there are no easy solutions that I can see. Our scrum has done well at times during the season (for such an unheralded front-row), but the Sharks front-row is quality. If Fia is fit he will help, but I'm not sure of his status. Stopping the lineout drive will be a challenge. We were actually quite successful at this against the Bulls early this year - we didn't compete and just concentrated on stopping the drive. We seemed to forget how to do this against the Crusaders - hopefully we remember this weekend. The best way though to stop the Sharks using these tactics is simply not allowing them to get lineouts close to our line!

The Highlanders have plenty of firepower in the backs, it's going to be a matter of getting quality ball to them. I think we need to play Sopoaga at 10. He is still a bit erratic (though has improved), and I do worry about his ability to deal with pressure. However he offers much more in attack than Parker, and I think our only chance of winning is by scoring tries (preferably quite a few of them).

Interesting stats that Darwin.

The Sharks are also lucky in getting injured players back at the end of the season. Marcel Coetzee for one is a major factor to consider as his approach changes the entire pack. With him playing other players like Alberts have more chances at being runners, which could assist the Sharks in line breaks and scoring tries. Also the possible return of Lambie will have a huge effect on their back line and in them being a more potent attacking weapon.

1 - Kane Hames
2 - Ged Robinson
3 - Chris King
4 - Jarrad Hoeata
5 - Joe Wheeler
6 - Elliot Dixon
7 - Shane Christie
8 - Nasi Manu (Co-Captain)
9 - Aaron Smith
10 - Lima Sopoaga
11 - Patrick Osborne
12 - Phil Burleigh
13 - Malakai Fekitoa
14 - Richard Buckman
15 - Ben Smith (Co-Captain)

Reserves
16 - Liam Coltman
17 - Matias Diaz
18 - JP Koen
19 - Josh Bekhuis
20 - Tom Franklin
21 - Fumiaki Tanaka
22 - Trent Renata
23 - Gareth Evans

...don't think burleigh has started this years had he...great time to try out a new combo, franklin has been great the last few weeks...lets just bring hoeata back...and 2 lock reserves...meaning one lock prob moves to blindside...but we have a blindside on the bench....is parker injured? i rate renata at 10...but not when he hasn't played a minute there and this is a knockout game...i just don't get Joseph some times

1 - Kane Hames
2 - Ged Robinson
3 - Chris King
4 - Jarrad Hoeata
5 - Joe Wheeler
6 - Elliot Dixon
7 - Shane Christie
8 - Nasi Manu (Co-Captain)
9 - Aaron Smith
10 - Lima Sopoaga
11 - Patrick Osborne
12 - Phil Burleigh
13 - Malakai Fekitoa
14 - Richard Buckman
15 - Ben Smith (Co-Captain)

Reserves
16 - Liam Coltman
17 - Matias Diaz
18 - JP Koen
19 - Josh Bekhuis
20 - Tom Franklin
21 - Fumiaki Tanaka
22 - Trent Renata
23 - Gareth Evans

...don't think burleigh has started this years had he...great time to try out a new combo, franklin has been great the last few weeks...lets just bring hoeata back...and 2 lock reserves...meaning one lock prob moves to blindside...but we have a blindside on the bench....is parker injured? i rate renata at 10...but not when he hasn't played a minute there and this is a knockout game...i just don't get Joseph some times

Hmmmmmm......

The good news is that Robinson is starting at hooker (finally), but I'm not sure about a number of the other selections. As Jabby states Franklin has been excellent over recent weeks so naturally Joseph replaces him with a player who often doesn't seem interested in playing rugby, but would rather try and prove he is the toughest player on the park. These intimidation tactics may work against some sides (though he often just gets himself yellow-carded), but it certainly won't work against du Plessis, Alberts etc. I still think Evans should start at 6 for his excellent lineout/breakdown skills, but Joseph seems convinced Dixon is the best option at 6....

I'm not sure about Burleigh's selection at 12 either. Though I would still prefer Treeby (despite the fact he has been poor in recent weeks), I'm not as worried about his selection as I normally would be. My biggest criticisms of him are his habit of kicking the ball away any chance he gets, and his incredibly weak defense. I don't think his poor defense will be as much of an issue against the Sharks as it would be against many other sides, as they aren't exactly known for their line-breaking abilities (though it wouldn't surprise me if Steyn / Pieterson bumped him off once or twice). His short kicking game could be a good weapon if the Sharks rush up in defense, but he has to make sure he doesn't get obsessed with kicking the ball.....

I can't really understand the bench either. I really don't like the 6/2 split, and can't understand why we need two locks on the bench. It leaves us very vulnerable if we get any injuries in backs..... Oh well I have written the Highlanders chances off more than once this season and been proven wrong - let's hope I'm wrong again!

Sharks:

15. SP Marais
14. S'bura Sithole
13. JP Pietersen
12. Paul Jordaan
11. Lwazi Mvovo
10. Frans Steyn
9. Cobus Reinach
8. Ryan Kankowski
7. Willem Alberts
6. Marcell Coetzee
5. Stephan Lewies
4. Anton Bresler
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. Bismarck du Plessis (c)
1. Thomas du Toit

Replacements:

16. Kyle Cooper , 17. Dale Chadwick , 18. Lourens Adriaanse , 19. Etienne Oosthuizen , 20. Jean Deysel , 21. Charl McLeod , 22. Pat Lambie , 23. Tonderai Chavhanga

Last edited:
BEN SMITH!!!!

Sorry just warming up. Only 3.5 hours to go. Hopefully I can stay awake!

I'm no SR expert but surely the Sharks should win this, not necessarily convincingly but win at least...I've seen the Highlanders play a couple of times recently and they didn't look very dangerous to say the least and are coming off two huge poundings; and while I haven't seen the Sharks at all this entire year statistically they've got a huge edge and plus they're at home...they should overpower the Highlanders up front given the squads on paper and I believe have two clear targets in the High's backs: Fekitoa and Ben Smith.
Yet another chance to observe Steve Walsh grace the pitch with his quasi-ethereal, ballet-like display of lightness of divine class. I'll bet he got his nails done and his facial hair will look as impeccable as always. One of the rare times you can ever use the expression "beautiful man", really.

Oh and, hope the Sharks win. I guess it's cooler if there's at least one team of each nation moving deeper into the playoffs..

Sharks pack bossing round the Landers right now, massive scrum win against the feed leading to a try from an unstoppable maul.

Latest posts