• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Highlanders v Blues (Round 2)

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Super_Rugby_LOGO.jpg

Round 2 - Dunedin
Forsyth Barr Stadium
Saturday 22/02/14 at 7:35PM

2014highlanders_front-350x350.png
Versus%20Super.png
2014blues_front-350x350.png

[TABLE="width: 300, align: center"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Highlanders[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Blues........[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Hames[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Tu'ungafasi[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Coltman[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Parsons[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]King[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Faumuina[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Thorn[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Moli[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Hoeata[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Donnelly[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Evans[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Luatua[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Christie[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Braid[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Manu[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Saili[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Smith[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Weepu[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Sopoaga[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Noakes[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Osborne[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Moala[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Treeby[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Saili[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Fekitoa[/TD]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Willison[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Baker[/TD]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Halai[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Smith[/TD]
[TD]15[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Piutau[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Robinson[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]McCartney[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Diaz[/TD]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Prattley[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Millar[/TD]
[TD]18[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Ta'avao[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Bekhuis[/TD]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Tuipulotu[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Ioane[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]O'Connor[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Tanaka[/TD]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Hall[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Parker[/TD]
[TD]22[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Marshall[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Burleigh[/TD]
[TD]23[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Li[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
Wow that Highlanders jersey looks very dark...

The Blues will be looking to start their season like they did last year, knocking over a few heavyweights in the process. That being said, if there's any point in the season when the Highlanders have a chance of getting an easier scalp it will be now, when the Blues look a bit off their game.

It's likely that Benji Marshall will start his Super Rugby career off the bench, given his so-so performances in the preseason. Elsewhere in the team a number of All Blacks will be missing from the Blues' first match including Ma'a Nonu, Keven Mealamu and Tony Woodcock. This may in fact be beneficial for the Blues, given how averagely these players performed last year.

The Highlanders, on the other hand, will not be missing any players. They have next to no injuries, and their two All Blacks (the two Smiths) are available right from the get go.

I think we might see an upset.

Never tip before starting teams are announced - SuperBru 101 :)

Never tip before starting teams are announced - SuperBru 101 :)

I am making plenty of rookie tipping and fantasy mistakes ATM through sheer excitement of SR starting up again and me being unable to wait a week; need to get my **** together!

I picked Bundee Aki as a center without knowing he is injured and the hour after round 1 kicked off I bought Quade Cooper but thankfully repoerts say he'll probably play.

The Blues have named their squad: Charles Piutau, Frank Halai, Jackson Willison Francis Saili, George Moala, Chris Noakes, Piri Weepu; Peter Saili, Luke Braid (c), Steven Luatua, Tom Donnelly, Liaki Moli, Charlie Faumuina, James Parsons, Ofa Tu'ungafasi,. Reserves: Tom McCartney, Sam Prattley, Angus Ta'avao Patrick Tuipulotu, Brendon O'Connor, Bryn Hall, Benji Marshall, Tevita Li.

Marshall has been relegated to the bench, and Kirwan has wisely opted for Willison and Saili as the midfield combination with Moala switching back on to the bench. It will be great to see Tu'ungafasi get his first start at this level - I was surprised we didn't see more of him last season. Also good to see Tevita Li on the bench, who showed lots of promise last year, playing his first game for the Blues (against France too!) while he was still at high school!

Having seen the team, I take back what I said about the Highlanders winning. I think the Blues will take it, Willison offers a steadying hand in the midfield and as long as the likes of Piutau and Haili fire I think they'll be too strong for the Highlanders.

The Blues have named their squad: Charles Piutau, Frank Halai, Jackson Willison Francis Saili, George Moala, Chris Noakes, Piri Weepu; Peter Saili, Luke Braid (c), Steven Luatua, Tom Donnelly, Liaki Moli, Charlie Faumuina, James Parsons, Ofa Tu'ungafasi,. Reserves: Tom McCartney, Sam Prattley, Angus Ta'avao Patrick Tuipulotu, Brendon O'Connor, Bryn Hall, Benji Marshall, Tevita Li.

Marshall has been relegated to the bench, and Kirwan has wisely opted for Willison and Saili as the midfield combination with Moala switching back on to the bench. It will be great to see Tu'ungafasi get his first start at this level - I was surprised we didn't see more of him last season. Also good to see Tevita Li on the bench, who showed lots of promise last year, playing his first game for the Blues (against France too!) while he was still at high school!

Having seen the team, I take back what I said about the Highlanders winning. I think the Blues will take it, Willison offers a steadying hand in the midfield and as long as the likes of Piutau and Haili fire I think they'll be too strong for the Highlanders.

Moala is starting wing from what I can see (which is a good move as he is a mean finisher, very strong). The trouble with this Blues team, and it's pretty much the same as last year and years gone past is they are weak in the halves, weak at lock and squad depth is a major issue. I rate JK as coach but for the life of me can't understand why they spent so much time and money chasing Benji when what they should have gone after was some proven quality players to shore up the issues I mentioned.

In saying that they should be too strong for what I imagine the Highlanders will turn out for this match....

Moala is starting wing from what I can see (which is a good move as he is a mean finisher, very strong). The trouble with this Blues team, and it's pretty much the same as last year and years gone past is they are weak in the halves, weak at lock and squad depth is a major issue. I rate JK as coach but for the life of me can't understand why they spent so much time and money chasing Benji when what they should have gone after was some proven quality players to shore up the issues I mentioned.

In saying that they should be too strong for what I imagine the Highlanders will turn out for this match....

Whoops yeah meant to say wing!

THE MIGHTY HIGHLANDERS SIDE HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED!!!!!!

Highlanders: Ben Smith, Richard Buckman, Malakai Fekitoa, Shaun Treeby, Patrick Osborne, Lima Sopoaga, Aaron Smith, Nasi Manu, Shane Christie, Gareth Evans, Jarrad Hoeata, Brad Thorn, Chris King, Liam Coltman, Kane Hames.

Reserves
; Ged Robinson, Matias Diaz, Craig Millar, Josh Bekhuis, TJ Ioane, Fumiaki Tanaka, Hayden Parker, Phil Burleigh.

Ummm... Not too bad. Not that good, but it could be worse.

The good
A genuine flanker (Evans) at 6
Nasi Manu is fit
Willie Ripia is not in the 22
Ben Smith

The bad
Jarrad Hoeata starting at lock. No Tom Franklin in the 23
No John Hardie
Backline subs offer no impact

The ugly
Richard Buckman on the wing

The I'm not really sure whether it is good or bad
Hames debuting at LH prop
Tj Ioane on the bench (probably is good, but I still get slightly nervous when he comes on)
Lima Sopoaga at 10.

Anyways....A slightly better Blues side than expected, but I do believe the Highlanders have a pretty good chance off pulling of the upset. Tu'ungafasi has a lot of promise, but has always struggled on the LH side whenever I have seen him. Unfortunately the Highlanders probably don't have the scrummaging prowess to expose him. The rest of the pack is as expected.

Noakes gets the nod at 10 ahead of Marshall which is no surprise. Noakes will control the game pretty well, but he is a turn-style in defense so I expect the Highlanders will be running big forwards at him all day (Ioane, Manu etc). There is plenty of fire-power in the Blues backline, and I'm not sure how the Highlanders will be able to contain the pace and power of the Blues back three (ideally we want to prevent them getting the ball...). Interesting to see Tevita Li on the bench - he could cause some damage if he comes on later in the game. It is scary to think he is still only 18!

Last edited:

Highlanders: Ben Smith, Richard Buckman, Malakai Fekitoa, Shaun Treeby, Patrick Osborne, Lima Sopoaga, Aaron Smith, Nasi Manu, Shane Christie, Gareth Evans, Jarrad Hoeata, Brad Thorn, Chris King, Liam Coltman, Kane Hames.

Reserves
; Ged Robinson, Matias Diaz, Craig Millar, Josh Bekhuis, TJ Ioane, Fumiaki Tanaka, Hayden Parker, Phil Burleigh.

The good
Nasi Manu is fit
Ben Smith

The bad
No John Hardie

The ugly

Tj Ioane on the bench (probably is good, but I still get slightly nervous when he comes on)
Lima Sopoaga at 10.

Anyways....A slightly better Blues side than expected, but I do believe the Highlanders have a pretty good chance off pulling of the upset. Tu'ungafasi has a lot of promise, but has always struggled on the LH side whenever I have seen him. Unfortunately the Highlanders probably don't have the scrummaging prowess to expose him. The rest of the pack is as expected.

Noakes gets the nod at 10 ahead of Marshall which is no surprise. Noakes will control the game pretty well, but he is a turn-style in defense so I expect the Highlanders will be running big forwards at him all day (Ioane, Manu etc). There is plenty of fire-power in the Blues backline, and I'm not sure how the Highlanders will be able to contain the pace and power of the Blues back three (ideally we want to prevent them getting the ball...). Interesting to see Tevita Li on the bench - he could cause some damage if he comes on later in the game. It is scary to think he is still only 18!

About bloody time they announced their team!

I'm also disappointed to see they've gone with Hoeata. The further he is from the team the better, in my opinion.

That being said - it's not a terrible lineup. Fekitoa and Osborne should be able to cause a bit of damage running at Noakes, at the lineup is relatively strong defensively.

I think it will be a close game, with Hoeata conceding a penalty near the end which will give the Blues the win. He might even get carded.

Blues have got some power on the wings don't they.

Would hate to play against Tu'ungafasi purely because of his hair... it looks so uncomfortable.
Wasn't he an 8 as an U20?

Reserves

The good
Nasi Manu is fit
Ben Smith

The bad
No John Hardie

The ugly

Lima Sopoaga at 10.

come on Darwin, TJ must have one you over by now, he was huge for the landers last year stepping in as cover and then another great season for Otago, i would say he hasn't had the droppsies since 2012 ITM cup

Last edited:
Blues have got some power on the wings don't they.

Would hate to play against Tu'ungafasi purely because of his hair... it looks so uncomfortable.
Wasn't he an 8 as an U20?

Tu'ungafasi played in the loose-forwards at schoolboys level, but he played at prop at U20 level. He was part of a NZ front-row that got absolutely destroyed by the Welsh and South African front-rows at scrum time during the tournament. Here he is being murdered by Nicolaas Van Dyk (who currently plays for the Cheetahs)

Welsh TH Samson Lee did similar thing to him on several occasions too. Tu'ungafasi has improved his scrummaging, though I still think he is better on the TH side. He is very mobile for a prop and has a big work-rate - whether his scrummaging has improved enough for him to survive at Super Rugby level is anyones guess...

and Jerome Kaino???

Kaino is still finishing playing for his club side in Japan. He is due back within the next few weeks though.

come on Darwin, TJ must have one you over by now, he was huge for the landers last year stepping in as cover and then another great season for Otago, i would say he hasn't had the droppsies since 2012 ITM cup

The problem was that he had the dropsies in round 1. And in round 2. And in round 3. And in round 4. And in round 5 etc. It wasn't just a few games, it was pretty epic - that sort of things is hard to get out of your head! I do agree that his handling looks to have improved out of sight over the last year or so, I'm just worried it might regress again. The main issue I have with Ioane now is they way he is used. When he is on he is used to hit the ball up in midfield almost every play. The good thing is that it straightens or attack a lot, the bad thing is it is highly predictable, and it means most of our backline becomes obsolete. I would much rather see him running with the ball much closer to the breakdown, making the 'hard-yards' which will provide us go-forward ball for the backs. It would be great to see him used down the blindside too - this would mean opposition sides would have to commit more players here (especially with Ioane improved off-loading skills), meaning the Highlanders have more room out wide. I don't mind him running at the opposition backline (Noakes in particular) occasionally, but I don't want to want it to be our sole attacking option (as it often becomes when he is on).

Looking at our forward pack I'm actually a bit worried about our lineout options. Thorn and Hoeata would be the shortest locking combination in the competition, and while both are ok at lineout time neither are standouts. Evans will probably be our main lineout target and should do a pretty good job - however if we sub him off for Ioane (which would be the logical choice) we will be very short of genuine lineout options.

Last edited by a moderator:
agreed, really hoping the game plan is something like evans shuts that blind side down completely for 60 min, completely wears the blues into the ground...and then TJ comes on against a tired pack and finds the odd hole close in

Interested to see how this game goes ... the Blues and the Highlanders are teams that have perpetually burned me in my picking comps over the years.

@Darwin ... how can Hardie being missing, be a bad thing? ... it's made way for Shane Christie! :D

I've backed the Highlanders by not too many

Latest posts