• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Highlanders v Blues (Round 2)

Thoughts on the match :
- Coltman was good in loose but needs to work on lineout throwing as it was poor.
-Hoeata looks a changed man and looks hungry again, hope Thorn isn't out for too long.
- Back Row is very solid and hard working. Christie is a bugger at the break down and a nuisance, gives away a few too many penalties but is good.
- Smith looks so sharp and very hungry as well. Never stopped talking at all. Sopoaga was pretty good, I think he is the best 10 and will grow as year goes on.
- Ben Smith was Ben smith, no need to say any more
- 13 looks good as he is young and the rest are solid.

Gutted for the Blues but the second half gives hope
- Parsons line out wasn't great but I noticed that Luatuas calls weren't reaching the whole of the pack, meaning a bit of confusion. parsons can't be blamed for that.
- Props were ok but need to defend a bit tighter instead of being out wide.
- Donnelly was nowhere to be seen in the first half but played better in second. Tuipolotu impressed me when he came on and I think he should start next week.
- Braid is a warrior and a leader. Hopefully not out for too long. Luatua grew into the game and imposed himself a lot better.
- Piri looked fitter then ever and looked pretty good. Noakes was crap, Benji should start next week maybe. Is Kerr injured?
- Saili looked good and tried to spark something when he could but was getting bad ball from Noakes. Didn't see Willison to be honest.
- Piutau was a monster and was looking bigger than ever, I really like him. Halai was average and I think Moala was the better of the two.

Good summary - I agree with most of that. Personally I've never been a big fan of Halai, and feel Moala has the bigger potential of the two.

Kerr has a hand injury, but is expected back in two weeks time. I think he should be starting every week for the Blues at 10 - Benji Marshall made a nice impact for the Blues from the bench, but still has a huge amount to learn.

What I really enjoyed about the Highlanders was their directness in attack. Last year we spent the whole season going side-to-side without making any ground, but this year we had players running straight and hard at the opposition. There was some good driving in close (though I would like to see a bit more of this), while Treeby and Fekitoa ran straight and hard. You could see Tony Brown influence on the backline already too, with a couple of very clever backline moves. The Highlanders defense for the first 60 mins off the match was very good, but we did fade quite badly at the end - against a better side that could have cost us.

I was happy with the performance of the front-row. Coltman was a bit shaky at lineout time, but the rest of his play was good, while Ged Robinson continued on his good work once he came on. Hames had a solid debut on the LH side, with his work-rate on defense very impressive. King was reliable as always, but Fia missed a few tackles once he came on. Fia is probably our best scrummager, but lacks the mobility in an open game - for me he either needs to be starting or not in the 23. The locks were good, and I thought the loose-forward combination worked well. Evans was impressive on debut, Manu was a bit quieter with ball in hand than usual but did some good work at the breakdown, while Christie had a massive work-rate in defense (though got penalised a bit much). Christie is definitely a better defensive player than Hardie, but we do miss Hardie's open field running and support play when he is not there. Ioane was good when he came on too - I think he only ran with the ball once, but his work-rate at the breakdown stood-out.

The midfield did well, though I do worry a bit about their lack of creativity against quality teams. I'm not convinced about Sopoaga at 10. He had a solid game - his goal-kicking was good enough and he distributed well, but he didn't really run with the ball (which is usually a feature of his game). I do worry about his defense too - it was noticeable that he was hidden at fullback on defense with Ben Smith defending up in the line. Osbourne didn't get many chances, but took the chances he had well, while I thought Ben Smith was trying a bit hard, and made a couple of uncharacteristic errors (though did look very dangerous).

Very little to add, you guys have summed most things up

Buckman isn't going to score many tries by the looks if fit... But good luck to anyone looking to score against him, shut down his side of the field

I am more than happy with sopanga at 10, was solid and had a really nice grubber there, he'll grow, don't think he's strung more than 3 games together before

I'm looking forward to seeing guys like hardie, Baker, emery and franklin get game time, is Brayden Mitchell injured?

I think with some confidence and a win or two under the belt we'll see more creativity

Congrats to the 'Landers.

Disappointed with the Blues but it's the beginning of the season. I thought our forwards were out muscled and the attack was too lateral - I must be old school - coz I keep thinking we should've played the game down at their end and put in more smarter kicks.

Not sure Benji's ready for 1st Five yet but he was a firecracker. If we can throw Mealamu & Nonu on we'll get some more go forward but I'm not too sure they've got anything other than that for actual penetration. Maybe Kaino...who knows.

Bring back Ranger!

Very little to add, you guys have summed most things up

Buckman isn't going to score many tries by the looks if fit... But good luck to anyone looking to score against him, shut down his side of the field

I am more than happy with sopanga at 10, was solid and had a really nice grubber there, he'll grow, don't think he's strung more than 3 games together before

I'm looking forward to seeing guys like hardie, Baker, emery and franklin get game time, is Brayden Mitchell injured?

I think with some confidence and a win or two under the belt we'll see more creativity

As far as I'm aware Mitchell is fit and available for selections. The NZ franchises this season seem far more happy than usual to use players from their WTGs - it appears they will consider all 37 players every week (where-as previously WTG members would only be involved if there was an injury). As such there should be good competition between Robinson and Mitchell for the back-up hooker spot each week - Mitchell is a talented young player, but Robinson is far more proven at Super Rugby level.

The thing with Buckman is he is a great defender when players run straight at him (as he is really a midfield back). The problem is he is very slow - if the opposition try and run around him rather than over him we will probably be in trouble. If he continues to come up fast on defense and cut down the space of the attacking player he will probably be fine, however if the Highlanders backline is on the retreat that is not an easy thing to do....

Incredibly Liam Coltman has been my second best player in this round! Given that NZ hookers are old. He could be eligible to play for ABs if he continues with good performances? He only has 24

hes got a lot of potential, also considered a future leader, captained a otago a few times and the highlanders in pre season

Liam Coltman will be an All Black this year.

Great game to watch, very fast and quite accurate for a first round effort. Obviously conditions inside help.

Highlanders looked sharp and they took the blues by surprise at the start. Hoeata had his best game in a long time, lets be honest hes been rubbish for a while now but he threw himself into defense and made genuine impact. Also like the work Evans did he looks a tidy player. Ben Smith was very Ben Smith like in his performance.

Some really good signs from Benji. Sure he turned the ball over once on the ground and looked silly hitting a couple of rucks but he looked genuinely quick on the ball and just one trademark pass that led to a try is definitely enough to give him the thumbs up.

Cant believe Nokes missed that final kick for the bonus point...

Congrats to the Highlanders. I certainly did not pick them to win this one! I haven't gotten to see the game yet but have heard a lot of commentary on it. Sounds to me like Highlanders may well be the improver of the NZ conference (although I guess that is not hard given last season) but in saying that, based on what I have heard since the weekend, and my general understanding of the Highlanders and the Blues (and their respective players) these are very likely the bottom two teams of the NZ comp this year. How does that sit with you all? agree, disagree?

My take on the Blues is that they failed dismally in the off season to recruit who they needed and it is a massive disappointment IMHO. They needed to bolster the tight five (especially the locks) and they needed to do what ever they could to get Beauden Barrett! They failed on both accounts and instead seemed to think Benji would be the answer. I understand they stumped up $1m for him which I just do not get. Sure that is probably his asking price but I can almost promise you they didn't offer the same to Barrett, who would have been by FAR the better buy! Not only that but they Benji didn't play the ITM cup to prep himself for Super Rugby? WHY?? Makes no sense to me. Now you have the likes of Henry, JK and Benji himself all admitting he isn't ready largely because Union is "so different from League" and the transition is way harder than they expected....Holy crap did they really not foresee this? Such a dumb ass move... IRISH RUGBY MAN, from what I hear, Benji will play most of the early parts of the season coming off the bench (at full back) until the time when he is "ready" and then Piutau will switch to 13 and Benji will start at 15. Then after an ITM cup at 10 (assuming of course that the Blues arse things up again and don't sign Barrett) he may well be the Blues starting 10 in 2015. Conclusion BLUEs may well be the wooden spooners in the NZ conference this year!

Won't say much on the Landers until I watch the game. I am very glad though that they appear to have shown real grit and improvement from last year. Seems like they might pull off what the Hurricanes achieved 2 years ago?? On paper though I just don't see them making the playoffs. I don't think they will be able to consistently beat the top 6 to 8 teams in the comp (the likes of the Crusaders, Chiefs, Reds, NSW, Brumbies, Sharks...). A team such as the Highlanders will also really suffer if they have injury problems as well, particularly if any of their key guys go down. Teams like the Crusaders and the Chiefs on the other hand can arguably withstand the inevitable injury issues far easier. Fingers crossed this doesn't happen though but it is a real concern for the Highlanders IMHO. I think also that the Highlanders win over the weekend needs to be put in context as it is after all, the opening game of the season, at home, versus the Blues. However it was an impressive win and one can not take that away from them so congrats again! If I were a highlanders fan though, while I would be excited, I think you would want to wait and see how they go against a much better prepared team like the Chiefs this week. If they can compete strongly there, then maybe there is good reason to be very excited.

Just not good enough from the Blues.

Ominious signs so far.... getting whipped by the Chiefs and Waratahs pre-season, and also losing to the Canes, and now losing to the Highlanders.

Where is the game plan??? I just can't see any trace of one! it all appears to be helter-skelter, individual "try and break the line" type stuff. There appears to be no cohesion at all.
The lineout was poor (though still better than the Highlanders funnily enough), scrum average, and the backline don't seem to have any moves sorted out at all?!
What the heck is going on?!?

On Benji.. I say; lets just pay him at 1st five.
He has a bit of Carlos about him, and with the type of helter-skelter game that the Blues are playing; we may as well get someone in who actually creates stuff.
Face facts; Blues have nothing to lose.

If they play like that again on friday they will get 40 points put on them.

Just poor.

And where are the ABs??? that is just pi55-weak that they aren't playing.
Sends alarm bells ringing about Nonu if that is his level of commitment.

If Piutau can play, why can't Nonu, Mealamu and Woodcock?
Poor display of commitment to the team that welcomed them back after their holidays in Dunedin last year

Benji made a positive impact on this game for the blues I expect him to start fairly soon. They also Have Mealamu, Nonu and Kaino to come and Kerr should be a better option than Nokes.

Missing that bonus point was a shocker though you can't emphasize how important bonus points are, at the end of the season play off positions and standings will be decided by single points.

I'm still feeling positive about the blues, I think they have a lot more in them. They have a sick backline that will surely come together at some point. Saili, Pautau, Moala, Nonu, Halai. man if Benji can mix and put these guys away they are going to light up the competition. They also really need Kerr to come to the party.

Where maybe the highlanders dont have much more, they dont have depth and they will struggle to perform at the level they did for an extended period. But they look like a better team than last year already and hopefully they wont be a one man band like they were. One bright point for the highlanders I failed to mention was Feketoa. I saw him before the game and he looked crazy big and in some shape. His footwork matched it.

I also think its worth re evaluating the Highlanders squad, I didn't realize actually how many really classy players they have hidden in the ranks.

Richard Buckman - I actually really rate him, he has enough speed to be a danger but his main asset is his decision making and skillset. He seems to have a low error rate and make the right decisions on the field, wider training group but I expect to see him a lot more after a really solid first game.

Patrick Osborne - we know how good this guy is I thought when he was leaving the chiefs he was going overseas but hes here at the highlanders. Very good signing.

Winston Stanley - good hes back in NZ, midfield depth.

Ged Robinson - hes been arguably one of the best hookers in Australia, back in NZ because he wants to have a shot at the all blacks? Is he full squad or wider group? Very good player.

FlukeArtist and Larksea,

I'm interested in where the apparent confidence in Benji comes from? Or is it simply an all or nothing type attitude?

My issue is that without a decent 10 the Blues backs become a bit wasted (to certain extent) and I don't see any signs that Benji will be able to run the Blues backline in the consistent way that a good side requires. Noakes was poor, very slow, and delivered bad ball to Saili so he needs to go but I think Kerr is by FAR the better option than Benji. It's fair to say I am incredibly disappointed with the Blues and what they managed to "achieve" in the off season but I simply do not see Benji as any kind of savior here. By his own admission he simply does not understand the game of rugby yet so how on earth is he going to take up arguably the most difficult position in the game in arguably the toughest competition in world rugby??? He is simply not good enough to do that. Full back is his position this year (if anything) IMHO, simply because it is a far easier position to learn. From what I here, if you were lucky enough to be present at Forsyth Barr stadium on the weekend you also had the privilege to watch a headless chook running around trying to figure out where he should be positioned on D-fence. If he keeps that up he will be expending so much energy he will only last 25 minutes anyway ;)

From what I here, if you were lucky enough to be present at Forsyth Barr stadium on the weekend you also had the privilege to watch a headless chook running around trying to figure out where he should be positioned on D-fence. If he keeps that up he will be expending so much energy he will only last 25 minutes anyway ;)[/QUOTE]

Well then 1st five will be perfect for him then.
He can just stay where he is.

I just think that he played all those years of League at stand off and knows how to control a game.
YES - the games are different, but I think that he has the vision to pull it off.

And as I say; it's what the Blues need

Won't say much on the Landers until I watch the game. I am very glad though that they appear to have shown real grit and improvement from last year. Seems like they might pull off what the Hurricanes achieved 2 years ago?? On paper though I just don't see them making the playoffs. I don't think they will be able to consistently beat the top 6 to 8 teams in the comp (the likes of the Crusaders, Chiefs, Reds, NSW, Brumbies, Sharks...). A team such as the Highlanders will also really suffer if they have injury problems as well, particularly if any of their key guys go down. Teams like the Crusaders and the Chiefs on the other hand can arguably withstand the inevitable injury issues far easier. Fingers crossed this doesn't happen though but it is a real concern for the Highlanders IMHO. I think also that the Highlanders win over the weekend needs to be put in context as it is after all, the opening game of the season, at home, versus the Blues. However it was an impressive win and one can not take that away from them so congrats again! If I were a highlanders fan though, while I would be excited, I think you would want to wait and see how they go against a much better prepared team like the Chiefs this week. If they can compete strongly there, then maybe there is good reason to be very excited.

I actually think it is the other way around, because we only have 1 or two "key players" we don't have a division between the "starters" and the rest, if someone goes down their replacement is more than likely just as good as they were and so we will notice less of a difference. Last year we had these game plans around the "stars" we had brought in...and then when they were out of form (woodcock) or banned (nonu)...we had guys that couldn't execute the plan

i took real positive out of the game for both teams, we won based on our defence, first two try came from turn overs in the tackle or pressure on the kicker. that techique will work on all teams. the crusaders of old won championships based on the brick wall defence. we just need to keep it going for 80 minutes

the blues were down by 24 points and yet kept playing and actually constructed two of their 3 tries, they were well in it by the end. I didn't think Noakes did as badly as everyone else seems to. benji or kerr to start but i would be happy with Noakes on the bench

I tend to agree with ABs2011 re: Benji Marshall. Marshall did have a couple of very nice touches against the Highlanders once he came on, but starting a game at first-five is another thing altogether! To be fair he probably couldn't be any worse than Noakes was on Saturday so I can see why people may want him to start over Noakes, but personally I think Baden Kerr is far and away the best option at 10 for the Blues.

I don't think Blues supporters should be overly worried just yet. It is only week one, and there were some positive signs in the 2nd half. I thought Patrick Tuipulotu made a bigimpact when he came on - we may see him starting alongside Donnelly at lock before long. Luatua was good, and actually played a bit tighter than usual, Luke Braid was pretty inspirational (as usual), while Saili was solid at 8 - the trio will only improve when Kaino returns. I thought Weepu looked as fit as ever at halfback - if he gets some quality ball he could have a big season. 10 is obviously an issue, but Saili looked sharp in the midfield, as did Moala and Piutau out wide. Obviously there are some big issues they need to address, but I don't think it should be all doom and gloom quite yet!

I actually think it is the other way around, because we only have 1 or two "key players" we don't have a division between the "starters" and the rest, if someone goes down their replacement is more than likely just as good as they were and so we will notice less of a difference. Last year we had these game plans around the "stars" we had brought in...and then when they were out of form (woodcock) or banned (nonu)...we had guys that couldn't execute the plan

i took real positive out of the game for both teams, we won based on our defence, first two try came from turn overs in the tackle or pressure on the kicker. that techique will work on all teams. the crusaders of old won championships based on the brick wall defence. we just need to keep it going for 80 minutes

the blues were down by 24 points and yet kept playing and actually constructed two of their 3 tries, they were well in it by the end. I didn't think Noakes did as badly as everyone else seems to. benji or kerr to start but i would be happy with Noakes on the bench

Sorry mate I just can't agree there.

To an extent I agree with what you're saying re "stars" my point was really thinking how would they look if A Smith went down. I don't think they would cope at all. I like Tanaka, but without getting into details I don't think he is a good starting option at this level, Frae Wilson is certainly not.

Re squad depth I can't agree and think there is quite a big difference between the starters and their potential replacements.

Buckman on the wing as a result of Buxton being out is a prime example (would have to be one of the worst starting wings in the comp wouldn't he? certainly in the NZ conference anyway!)

Other than half back I would be very worried should Sopoaga go down as I think Parker and Ripia (and Renata) would be massive down grades.

Actually looking at their entire backline, I'm not that confident in any of their replacements other than Emery who I really like. Winston Stanley, Phil Burleigh, Kurt Baker are all below par super rugby players IMHO.

I really like their loose forward trio (particularly happy Christie is getting a start) but outside their starters and I think there is a big step down. TJ for me isnt a Super Rugby level starter, Dixon is not yet either (although has potential) and Hardie is OK. Point is though the starting three for me are significantly better than their potential replacements.

The tight five (of which I am far less comfortable talking about) is arguably the only area where I think the Highlanders would have adequate depth not to lose a huge amount should injury bother them.

Always happy to be put in my place though should anyone disagree with my take on things J

Brad Thorn out for 4 weeks with a rib injury. Bugger. Hoeata needs to prove his form versus the Blues wasn't a fluke, as we will really miss Thorn's ability to lead by example.

In terms of the Highlanders depth I can see both points of view. Like most sides we have a couple of key positions where we can't afford the incumbent to get injured, namely 8, 9, and 15. I think Brad Thorn is pretty crucial to us, but if Hoeata plays like he did versus the Blues we may be fine. Aside from those 3 positions (and probably wing) I don't think there is that much between the players that started against the Blues and the rest of the squad.

Our first choice props are anyone's guess - I don't think there is much between King, Fia, and Diaz. I would have rated Hames below those three before this weekend, but he was given the start by the Highlanders coaches, and did a pretty good job on debut. Coltman is clearly our best hooker, but Ged Robinson is a more than adequate starter at Super Rugby level, and Mitchell has some talent too. Obviously the rest of out locks are a downgrade on Thorn, but are all at a similar level. I don't think there is much at all between Hardie and Christie. Hardie was one of our better players last season, and I was expecting him to start ahead of Christie (though Christie had a good game in my opinion). Evans is a complete rookie at 6, and again I don't think there is much between him and Ioane (who was again one of our better players late last season). I think Manu remaining fit is a key, as he is another who leads by example and we really missed him last season.

Likewise having both Smith's available and firing is important, as they are our only two world class players. Sopoaga is ok at 10, but I really don't think there is much between him and Parker. Sopoaga can be electric on his day but I don't think he controls the game that well, can be prone to having the odd shocker (see the Cheetahs game last season), his defense is weak, and he is not a very good goal-kicker. Parker certainly doesn't have the running game that Sopoaga has but he can take the gap if it is available, controls the game well, is committed on defense (though his lack of size can be an issue at times), and (importantly) is a very good goal-kicker (kicking 80-85%). I'm happy with Sopoaga starting, but I don't think we would lose much (if anything) overall if Parker had to start. Treeby runs and tackles hard at 12, but again I don't think he is that much better than the likes of Stanley, Emery, or Burleigh, who all offer contrasting skills in the midfield. I'm a big fan of Fekitoa, but again he is unproven at this level just like our other midfield options. Buckman is limited on the wing, and I'm surprised Kurt Baker isn't starting. I think it is a bit harsh to call Baker a below par Super Rugby player. He is certainly unproven, but has looked very comfortable in his limited game-time at Super Rugby level, and has been in great form for Taranaki the last few seasons - he just needs a chance to prove himself. I do think Osbourne is very important to us, but he is a wing, and who cares about wings ;)

FlukeArtist and Larksea,

I'm interested in where the apparent confidence in Benji comes from? Or is it simply an all or nothing type attitude?

Benji is a very intelligent and hard working player, because of that I believe the technical aspect of the code change would be sorted in due time. I was more worried he wasn't physically going to have the attributes required to make an impact. But he is only 28 and showed really good speed and ability to change direction. he was able to hurry up the opposition defense and take gaps.

Sorry mate I just can't agree there.

To an extent I agree with what you're saying re "stars" my point was really thinking how would they look if A Smith went down. I don't think they would cope at all. I like Tanaka, but without getting into details I don't think he is a good starting option at this level, Frae Wilson is certainly not.

Re squad depth I can't agree and think there is quite a big difference between the starters and their potential replacements.

Buckman on the wing as a result of Buxton being out is a prime example (would have to be one of the worst starting wings in the comp wouldn't he? certainly in the NZ conference anyway!)

Other than half back I would be very worried should Sopoaga go down as I think Parker and Ripia (and Renata) would be massive down grades.

Actually looking at their entire backline, I'm not that confident in any of their replacements other than Emery who I really like. Winston Stanley, Phil Burleigh, Kurt Baker are all below par super rugby players IMHO.

I really like their loose forward trio (particularly happy Christie is getting a start) but outside their starters and I think there is a big step down. TJ for me isnt a Super Rugby level starter, Dixon is not yet either (although has potential) and Hardie is OK. Point is though the starting three for me are significantly better than their potential replacements.

The tight five (of which I am far less comfortable talking about) is arguably the only area where I think the Highlanders would have adequate depth not to lose a huge amount should injury bother them.

Always happy to be put in my place though should anyone disagree with my take on things J

bit harsh on some of those highlanders backs, Buckman did a fine job and will develop into a fine super rugby player. Doesn't have the all out size and speed of many wingers at this level but he makes up for that by being very reliable and having a wide range of skills and good vision.

I think all the others have proved they can mix it at this level. Heck the Highlanders would have been better off playing burleigh instead of Nonu last season. And at times Stanley was one of the better players with the force.

I dont think parker is far behind Sopoanga, I think in many ways parker is the equal or better but just lacks the size and so needs a bit more looking after on defense. The positive is he takes full advantage of his small size on attack.

I think all those guys in the highlanders squad have potential and have proved they can work at this level. The highlanders really just need a few of those guys to kick it up a gear.

Final comment from me re Benji. He is not ready to lead a winning Super Rugby team and it has effectively been acknowledged by everyone that really matters (Henry JK and Benji himself). He should have played ITM cup. I don't know why he didn't, I can only assume Benji had it written into his contract before signing thinking he would make the transition comfortably and therefore prioritsed rest over learning the game. IF this is the case then this was a bad mistake. If this was not the case, and JK an Henry thought it was better not to have him play an ITM cup season in prep for Super Rugby then this was a bad mistake. Either way.... BAD MISTAKE he is a million dollar man and he is on the bench and not yet ready to take a starting spot in an underperforming team....

Re my Highlanders comments, glad to see some more balanced opinions. As I said I stand to be corrected in some areas and acknowledge I was too harsh on a few players, Hardie in particular. I still stand by my comment on their team depth though, I think it is a concern IF you are hoping the Highlanders will be playoff contenders, and as the season goes on I believe the inevitable injuries will prove me right, but that is just my humble opinion... :)

I do however wish them well. They are a fun team to watch, the atmosphere in the stadium seems great, and they have some exciting talent down there.

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest they finish the season in 9th (4th in the NZ conference, a win in front of the blues and a win behind the Canes :) )

Re my Highlanders comments, glad to see some more balanced opinions. As I said I stand to be corrected in some areas and acknowledge I was too harsh on a few players, Hardie in particular. I still stand by my comment on their team depth though, I think it is a concern IF you are hoping the Highlanders will be playoff contenders, and as the season goes on I believe the inevitable injuries will prove me right, but that is just my humble opinion... :)

I do however wish them well. They are a fun team to watch, the atmosphere in the stadium seems great, and they have some exciting talent down there.

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest they finish the season in 9th (4th in the NZ conference, a win in front of the blues and a win behind the Canes :) )

I don't imagine even the most optimistic of Highlanders fans would consider us as playoff contenders. We will pull off the odd upset, but we don't have the quality in the squad to consistently win against the top sides (even if we don't suffer an injuries). I think it is important to remember that the Blues game was only one game (against a Blues side that looked largely out of sorts), and while many of our starting lineup had a good match few of these players have really proven anything at Super Rugby level in the past. I do see where you are coming from though - if we were playoff contenders a couple of key injuries could derail our chances, but given a much more realistic goal is around 8th-10th I don't think injuries alone will have a big impact on our final standing this season.

Final comment from me re Benji. He is not ready to lead a winning Super Rugby team and it has effectively been acknowledged by everyone that really matters (Henry JK and Benji himself). He should have played ITM cup. I don't know why he didn't, I can only assume Benji had it written into his contract before signing thinking he would make the transition comfortably and therefore prioritsed rest over learning the game. IF this is the case then this was a bad mistake. If this was not the case, and JK an Henry thought it was better not to have him play an ITM cup season in prep for Super Rugby then this was a bad mistake. Either way.... BAD MISTAKE he is a million dollar man and he is on the bench and not yet ready to take a starting spot in an underperforming team....

i find this really interesting, you talk up some guys and down others when i would say having watched every highlanders game 90% of our players are of comparable level (2 smiths the exception)

i dont think a back line of parker, burligh, emery or a loose trio of tj dixon and hardie would have done much worse..they would have a different game plan of course

even guys like manu and sopanga have been out through injury more than they have played since joining, i dont think they are suddenly indispensable now they are fit

I have a very similar feeling to 2011, looks like a team of average super rugby players, very few stand outs, but you know the old saying, a champion team will beat a team of champions

heard an interview with Joseph, he admitted they thought the culture and team spirit they had built up in 11 and 12 could handle the big personalities of the signing we made in 2013...but it didn't and the team culture was ruined by these guys. That is what they have been working to get back to

Latest posts