• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Highlanders v Blues (Round 2)

Fantastic half of rugby by the Highlanders. Two of our tries have be opportunistic rather than created, but it is great that we are taking our chances this season.

Aaron Smith has been outstanding. His passing is fantastic as usual, but his ball running has been a real feature this game. Hoeata has been very good on defense, while the loose-forward trio have all been very good (Evans in particular). Sopoaga has been a bit mixed, but has been kicking his goals, while Fekitoa has looked very sharp at centre. Buckman has even been solid on the wing!

The Blues have been very lateral, which has made it pretty easy for the Highlanders defense.... hopefully they keep it up :D

Ben Smith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are on fire!

Based on what we have seen in the pre-season I don't think Marshall is the answer. I think Baden Kerr is the best option at 10 for the Blues....

Maybe but really the Blues are never going to be any good without a quality creative player at 10. Its almost unbelievable that franchise has been so long without a real quality 10. IMO Kirwans got nothing to loose putting him on after half time...... if anything it would help benji.

Well, uh, Virtual Rugby isn't really going to plan for me this year. Currently 0 from 4, looks like it'll be 0/5 soon. <_<

Early days yet, but I've done better...

Can the Blues pull a Melbourne Rebels?

Saili with an individual try... good start for the Blues. Weak defense by Hoeata....

Did I just see someone run right OVER THE TOP of Noakes to break the line there...

YESS!! Well created try by Osbourne. Setup initially by a mid-field bomb - I'm liking the variety in the Highlanders attack this season.

Brilliant defense this time by Hoeata, followed up by a fantastic kick by Ben Smith.

Benji Marshall on for Willison. Why would they keep Noakes on the field??

EDIT: Andrew Mehrtens raving about Chris Noakes's defense. Is Mehrts on drugs???

Last edited:
^^ Mehrts just had low standards i suspect.

Makes no sense Benji needs to come forward for noakes when they are on attack just like the Reds used to do with Quade.

EDIT: Andrew Mehrtens raving about Chris Noakes's defense. Is Mehets on drugs???

Thank you! Thought I was the only one.

That sub says everything about Benjis readiness for 10, if Noakes in this form is better.

Both sides emptying the bench. Hope the game doesn't become too loose in the last 13 mins....

EDIT: Benji adding some real spark - try now to Tuipolotu.

Was that Benji with the beautiful inside pass?? That was sweet. Weepu got decked btw lol

Benji does look lost as soon as a ruck or maul turns up. LOL. But good signs on attack other than that.

They need to get him doing double time on the tactics and training.

Luke Braid off for the Blues. He has been immense for them. Mehrts thinks he hasn't done much ball running tonight. Scrum.com have him making 18 carries (more than any other player). Mehrts really has no clue at all.

Luke Braid off for the Blues. He has been immense for them. Mehrts thinks he hasn't done much ball running tonight. Scrum.com have him making 18 carries (more than any other player). Mehrts really has no clue at all.

Thinks braid hasn't carried and Noakes has tackled well ...must be a different game going on somewhere!

Every time Benji touched the ball in that last sequence something was on.

He has certainly looked sharp. However the game had really opened up once he came on, and the Highlanders looked spent. Starting a game will be a much bigger challenge (though he would struggle to be worse than Noakes!).

Overall very happy with the result! Still plenty of things to work on for the Highlanders, but getting 5 points in the first match is an excellent result. Hopefully the injury to Thorn is not too serious, as he really set the standard when he was on the field.

I have to make an apology to Richard Buckman. I was rather harsh on him before the match, but he had a very solid match, making some massive hits on defense!

Thoughts on the match :
- Coltman was good in loose but needs to work on lineout throwing as it was poor.
-Hoeata looks a changed man and looks hungry again, hope Thorn isn't out for too long.
- Back Row is very solid and hard working. Christie is a bugger at the break down and a nuisance, gives away a few too many penalties but is good.
- Smith looks so sharp and very hungry as well. Never stopped talking at all. Sopoaga was pretty good, I think he is the best 10 and will grow as year goes on.
- Ben Smith was Ben smith, no need to say any more
- 13 looks good as he is young and the rest are solid.

Gutted for the Blues but the second half gives hope
- Parsons line out wasn't great but I noticed that Luatuas calls weren't reaching the whole of the pack, meaning a bit of confusion. parsons can't be blamed for that.
- Props were ok but need to defend a bit tighter instead of being out wide.
- Donnelly was nowhere to be seen in the first half but played better in second. Tuipolotu impressed me when he came on and I think he should start next week.
- Braid is a warrior and a leader. Hopefully not out for too long. Luatua grew into the game and imposed himself a lot better.
- Piri looked fitter then ever and looked pretty good. Noakes was crap, Benji should start next week maybe. Is Kerr injured?
- Saili looked good and tried to spark something when he could but was getting bad ball from Noakes. Didn't see Willison to be honest.
- Piutau was a monster and was looking bigger than ever, I really like him. Halai was average and I think Moala was the better of the two.

Latest posts