• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Highlanders v Blues (Round 2)

Going for an upset here, Landers to scrape it, based on individual performances

I think this is going to be a close one, hoping the Blues backs are still on fire. Need to see how the pack holds together with a young front row and make shift second row, is this the break out year for Moli or does the natural talent never come to anything.

Blues is an odd one with Woodcock, Kevie, Kaino and Nonu still to enter the fray. If this team starts on fire makes the integration of those names a nice problem to have!

Shane Christie penalised twice in the first 2 mins....

Quite like how direct the Highlanders have looked so far.

EDIT: YESSSS.... Aaron Smith try.

Last edited:
Fekitoa!!!! Who is this team in Blue and Gold? :bravo:

Shane Christie penalised twice in the first 2 mins....

Quite like how direct the Highlanders have looked so far.

EDIT: YESSSS.... Aaron Smith try.

No way the landers are going to have as bad a season as last year. I must also say they are looking very very sharp so far in this game.

I think Kirwan should of risked Benji.... Noakes brings nothing to a Blues side.

I can take the charge down, but Noakes has to make that tackle! And for the second where's the defence!!

I can take the charge down, but Noakes has to make that tackle! And for the second where's the defence!!

The problem is Noakes can't tackle ;)

Good kick by Sopoaga... 17-0 :blink:

Hoeata at 5 and Thorn at 4. Why in the hell didnt joseph play him more last year!? Hoeata makes a massive difference on D if he can control himself.

Hoeata at 5 and Thorn at 4. Why in the hell didnt joseph play him more last year!? Hoeata makes a massive difference on D if he can control himself.

Hoeata got plenty of starts for the Highlanders last season, mainly at 6. Overall I thought he was very poor last year - he has done more positive things for the Highlanders in these 25 minutes than he did all last year! If he keeps playing like this (and maintains his discipline) I'm more than happy to see him starting every game....

EDIT: Thorn off with a rib injury. Bugger.

Last edited:
Hoeata got plenty of starts for the Highlanders last season, mainly at 6. Overall I thought he was very poor last year - he has done more positive things for the Highlanders in these 25 minutes than he did all last year! If he keeps playing like this (and maintains his discipline) I'm more than happy to see him starting every game....

Yeah exactly he is NOT a 6 although short for the lock thats where he should be playing!! I couldnt care less if they loose more lineouts i think he will make up for it with mongrel and Defence. He should of started at lock every game last year!

The guy at 6 seems pretty decent aswell.

Yeah exactly he is NOT a 6 although short for the lock thats where he should be playing!! I couldnt care less if they loose more lineouts i think he will make up for it with mongrel and Defence. He should of started at lock every game last year!

The guy at 6 seems pretty decent aswell.

He was rubbish when he started at lock last year too though - nothing like the player we have seen tonight. There is no doubt he can be good when he is focused, but far too often he runs around trying to prove he is the toughest player on the field rather than actually playing rugby....

His (lack-of) height isn't a big issue at lock as he has very long arms, and is generally a pretty reliable lineout option.

Honestly if the blues dont get Benji up to speed in the next two weeks they are looking down the barrel of a horror season imo.

Fantastic counter-attack by the Highlanders - that pass by Aaron Smith at full-speed was quality!

He was rubbish when he started at lock last year too though - nothing like the player we have seen tonight. There is no doubt he can be good when he is focused, but far too often he runs around trying to prove he is the toughest player on the field rather than actually playing rugby....

His (lack-of) height isn't a big issue at lock as he has very long arms, and is generally a pretty reliable lineout option.

He was good in the odd game at the start of the year. But the backrow (and others) made life very very difficult for this team last year.

Wow that pass from Smith to Smith was exactly what was needed there! I am cautiously optimistic from what im seeing in this game for the highlanders. Will be intresting to see how the blues come out after HT....

Ben Smith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are on fire!

Honestly if the blues dont get Benji up to speed in the next two weeks they are looking down the barrel of a horror season imo.

Based on what we have seen in the pre-season I don't think Marshall is the answer. I think Baden Kerr is the best option at 10 for the Blues....

All I want for Christmas is a time machine and to make Beauden Barrett sign...

On a seriousness note, those who say preseason doesn't mean anything, I give you exhibit A. Blues look horrible

Oh, I should add Highlanders playing well, well deserve their lead

Well well why I am I not surprised at the blues of the blues!

Latest posts