• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Crusaders v Stormers (Round 4)

Draggs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Super%20Rugby.png

Crusaders.png
Versus%20Super.png
Stormers.png

I'm sure we'll receive a sound throbbing. Still really looking forward to the game however, these SA vs NZ crossover games are what I live for.
Also this year I feel the Crusaders aren't quite as scary as they have been in the past, not just because they have lost their first two games, but mostly because they don't look that scary on paper. They seem to lack the type of player that just creates tries from nothing (apart from Reed), and seem to lack penetration. That said they've looked twice as organised as the Stormers and it's an SA team playing at Christchurch. I'm hoping for around a 10 point defeat.

Carizza will be out for 2 months! Damn!

I'm sure we'll receive a sound throbbing. Still really looking forward to the game however, these SA vs NZ crossover games are what I live for.
Also this year I feel the Crusaders aren't quite as scary as they have been in the past, not just because they have lost their first two games, but mostly because they don't look that scary on paper. They seem to lack the type of player that just creates tries from nothing (apart from Reed), and seem to lack penetration. That said they've looked twice as organised as the Stormers and it's an SA team playing at Christchurch. I'm hoping for around a 10 point defeat.

Did you see the Crusaders last week against the Blues? They were aweful for the majority of that match. While i dont expect them to loose if the Stormers turn up and the Crusaders play anything like last week could be an interesting match.

I get what your saying on paper they lack a player like Ben Smith (or dare I say it Fruen) as Dagg has not been as effective the last couple of seasons at super rugby level and even when he is on he looks like he's trying to carry the whole team on attack at times. Whereas Ben Smith at the HL doesn't just look like he carys the whole team he actually does! LOL.

The Crusaders seem ripe for the picking (at least as much as they've done since ever)... just not by this misfiring Stormers side I'm sorry to say.

Anyway, Stormers side announced (superxv.com) and it does give me some hope:

Kolisi, Carizza and Elstadt injured but thankfully, we are bolstered with Steenkamp coming back in which I am very greatful for with Ruan Botha on the bench should mean our line-out that has been malfunctioning should go better but Sam Whitelock will probably still have a field day poaching. Burger is alright to make up for Kolisi so with Deon Fourie starting we should have better balance in the loose trio.

Peter Grant is back! We need some experience and solidity at 10. Cat has just been a link.

15. Jaco Taute , 14. Kobus van Wyk , 13. Jean de Villiers (captain) , 12. Damian de Allende , 11. Gio Aplon , 10. Demetri Catrakilis , 9. Nic Groom , 8. Duane Vermeulen , 7. Schalk Burger (vice-captain) , 6. Deon Fourie , 5. De Kock Steenkamp , 4. Michael Rhodes , 3. Frans Malherbe , 2. Scarra Ntubeni , 1. Steven Kitshoff
Replacements: , 16. Tiaan Liebenberg , 17. Oliver Kebble , 18. Pat Cilliers , 19. Ruan Botha , 20. Nizaam Carr , 21. Louis Schreuder , 22. Peter Grant , 23. Sailosi Tagicakibau

Last edited:
The Crusaders seem ripe for the picking (at least as much as they've done since ever)... just not by this misfiring Stormers side I'm sorry to say.

Anyway, Stormers side announced (superxv.com) and it does give me some hope:

Kolisi, Carizza and Elstadt injured but thankfully, we are bolstered with Steenkamp coming back in which I am very greatful for with Ruan Botha on the bench should mean our line-out that has been malfunctioning should go better but Sam Whitelock will probably still have a field day poaching. Burger is alright to make up for Kolisi so with Deon Fourie starting we should have better balance in the loose trio.

Peter Grant is back! We need some experience and solidity at 10. Cat has just been a link.

15. Jaco Taute , 14. Kobus van Wyk , 13. Jean de Villiers (captain) , 12. Damian de Allende , 11. Gio Aplon , 10. Demetri Catrakilis , 9. Nic Groom , 8. Duane Vermeulen , 7. Schalk Burger (vice-captain) , 6. Deon Fourie , 5. De Kock Steenkamp , 4. Michael Rhodes , 3. Frans Malherbe , 2. Scarra Ntubeni , 1. Steven Kitshoff
Replacements: , 16. Tiaan Liebenberg , 17. Oliver Kebble , 18. Pat Cilliers , 19. Ruan Botha , 20. Nizaam Carr , 21. Louis Schreuder , 22. Peter Grant , 23. Sailosi Tagicakibau

That's one way of looking at it. The other is that they are hurting from their last two losses and are ready to explode and tear the opposition apart. Not saying this will definitely happen, but the Crusaders have done that in the past. So far 2014 has an eerie resemblance to 2013 for the Crusaders. Both seasons they have been hammered by the Blues and had a narrow loss another NZ teams (Hurricanes in 2013, Chiefs in 2014). In 2013 they played the unbeaten Bulls in their 3rd match and took them apart. Let's see if history repeats with another South African side....

Anyways.... on paper that Stormers side doesn't look too bad. Sailosi Tagicakibau is an interesting addition to the Stormers bench. I remember him playing in New Zealand for Taranaki (and the Chiefs) almost 10 years ago.....

That's one way of looking at it. The other is that they are hurting from their last two losses and are ready to explode and tear the opposition apart. Not saying this will definitely happen, but the Crusaders have done that in the past. So far 2014 has an eerie resemblance to 2013 for the Crusaders. Both seasons they have been hammered by the Blues and had a narrow loss another NZ teams (Hurricanes in 2013, Chiefs in 2014). In 2013 they played the unbeaten Bulls in their 3rd match and took them apart. Let's see if history repeats with another South African side....

Anyways.... on paper that Stormers side doesn't look too bad. Sailosi Tagicakibau is an interesting addition to the Stormers bench. I remember him playing in New Zealand for Taranaki (and the Chiefs) almost 10 years ago.....

I would not at all be surprised if the Crusaders manage to tear the Stormers apart. If they 'click' and the Stormers don't make a huge step up it's actually a very likely scenario I suppose.

As for the Stormers. The team as is now I feel is our best line up so far this year. ITO players we aren't at our optimum yet but its certainly an improvement on rounds 1 and 2.

If the Stormers 'click' then we sit with the same coach for another decade...

If the Stormers 'click' then we sit with the same coach for another decade...

Very little chance of that happening. During Superugby I find myself wishing that AC got the Bok job... but then I'd cry during the international season.

true, had to humor myself in some way by making that statement

Very happy that Deon Fourie is starting and hope that De Allende will hit their midfield hard
Winning the loose ball battle and penetrating the midfield is two areas where we can cause damage

Last edited:
true, had to humor myself in some way by making that statement

Very happy that Deon Fourie is starting and hope that De Allende will hit their midfield hard
Winning the loose ball battle and penetrating the midfield is two areas where we can cause damage

Have you read the article in 'Die Burger' where Allan Zondagh bemoaned the Stormers' approach to the game and in particular the lack of proper use of Gio Aplon and in particular De Allende who attended Zondagh's rugby academy.

Zondagh is of the opinion that AC is not getting the most of these players. He mentioned that De Allende has a very broad range of skills including a kicking game most halves would be envious of. Apparently the guy is an accurate place kicker with a 55m range. I have to say I was really impressed with some of the kicks we saw of him when he fielded the ball at the back. Zondagh also said De Allende is a natural play maker with a good pass and offload.

So the question is to what extent if any is Zondagh talking bs, is AC not getting the most of of his players or does those skills of De Allende just not translate to a higher level of competition? Based on some of what I've seen I have to say I am leaning towards blaming AC but that has become something of a hobby of mine so I admit my bias. Yes, the player is the one that ultimately does the playing of what's in front of him BUT if the coach has given too rigid instructions and the game plan (coach) is just sooo restrictive there is only so much a player can be expected to do and I am pretty sure that is the case not only for De Allende but the team as a whole.

Crusaders: Colin Slade, Johnny McNicholl, Reynold Lee-Lo, Ryan Crotty, Israel Dagg, Tom Taylor, Willi Heinz, Kieran Read (c), Matt Todd, Luke Whitelock, Sam Whitelock, Luke Romano, Owen Franks, Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: Ben Funnell, Tim Perry, Nepo Laulala, Dominic Bird, Jordan Taufua, Andy Ellis, Adam Whitelock, Kieran Fonotia.

I think the Stormers are going to get a hiding even with the Crusaders not looking all that good. Will be interesting to see how the scrums go, Stormers are a bit thin at lock because of injuries.

Looking at that Crusaders lineup I'm not as confident of a win as I was earlier in the week. Having Crockett & Romano in the starting side will certainly help the Crusaders get more go-forward ball. I feel the Crusaders will miss George Whitelock (as he is still better than his brother Luke), but it is good to see Taufua on the bench. Todd I think is a slight upgrade over McCaw too, as McCaw was slowly building into the season (and Todd looks in great form).

I'm not surprised Heinz has been given the start - he will certainly help deliver the backline quicker ball. Sounds like there have been quite a few injuries in the Crusaders outside backs, forcing Dagg to start on the wing. Dagg struggled the last time he started on the wing (versus the Blues last season) - hopefully he has a better game this weekend. I'm glad to see McNicholl back starting, but he will have to be at his best marking Aplon.

Looking at the two sides I still think the Crusaders are clear favourites (though not by as much as I was initially thinking). I'm picking the Crusaders by 10-15.

I am not that afraid anymore, they don't seem THAT angry ;)

What about Luke Romano? He could play alongside Sam Whitelock, right?

I'm pleased to see Kieran Fonotia has made the bench for the Crusaders ... I'll be interested to see if he can carry his Tasman ITM cup form into Super Rugby ... hopefully he gets a run at some stage

... also good to see Taufua on the bench, he should add some go forward off the bench

Latest posts