• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your 6N Squads

IMO, O'Leary and Reddan are both better rugby players than Stringer. But Stringer is somewhat of a better scrumhalf. Nonetheless, as a player he doesn't present a very good attacking or kicking option. I would pick O'Leary or Reddan ahead of him any day of the week. Except Thursday

The Welsh pack will be one of the best in the 6 nations imo. The Lions front 3 will be rock steady in the scrums and are great workhorses in the loose. Alun-Wyn Jones hasn't been in top form this season, but hopefully he'll show his class this 6 nations. Who will be picked alongside him? There's quite a few options:
- Ian Evans. Complements Alun-Wyn well, and was awesome for Wales before injury. However he's just returned, an isn't back to full fitness yet.
- Jonathan Thomas. Is growing nicely into the lock position, and adds some good go-forward grunt. He's a natural 6, but can play anywhere from 4-8 and should help Martyn Williams at the breakdown.
- Luke Charteris. Injured at present, so unlikely to feature. But if he returns, he adds a great linout presence and is a hard worker.
- Ian Gough. A bit old imo, but does offer experience and a fighting dog that few others can offer. Big hits are guaranteed.
- Bradley Davies. Big potential, but seems to have dropped off a little this season.
- Deiniol Jones, Lou Reed, Domonic Day. Unlikely to feature.

The backrow isn't quite as strong as the front 5, but there's still quality available. Dafydd Jones was missed in the AI's imo, as he was superb for the Scarlets up to that point. He's the destructive type of player we need to complement Martyn's creativity. He's still not back from injury though, so what other option are there at 6?
- Sam Warberton. He would be my favourite. The youster has shown that he can compete at the highest level. He would help Williams at the breakdown, but he'd also add some great skill and some pace.
- Dan Lydiate. Got his first cap in the AI's, but struggled slightly. Should be included in the squad, even if it means increasing from the smaller squad Gatland likes. Another one for the future.
- Andy Powell. Still not convinced by Powell. His workrate is improving, but it's not good enough for international rugby. He's also not a blindside flanker.
- Joe Bearman. Injured unfortunately. Might not get a Walescap afterall.
- Ryan Jones. Moving him from no8? No!

The rest of the backrow picks itself. Martyn Williams is going downhill though (once he looses his pace, he'll struggle). Ryan Jones has returned to some form, but he's not as dynamic as he used to be.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jan 9 2010, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Welsh pack will be one of the best in the 6 nations imo. The Lions front 3 will be rock steady in the scrums and are great workhorses in the loose. Alun-Wyn Jones hasn't been in top form this season, but hopefully he'll show his class this 6 nations. Who will be picked alongside him? There's quite a few options:
- Ian Evans. Complements Alun-Wyn well, and was awesome for Wales before injury. However he's just returned, an isn't back to full fitness yet.
- Jonathan Thomas. Is growing nicely into the lock position, and adds some good go-forward grunt. He's a natural 6, but can play anywhere from 4-8 and should help Martyn Williams at the breakdown.
- Luke Charteris. Injured at present, so unlikely to feature. But if he returns, he adds a great linout presence and is a hard worker.
- Ian Gough. A bit old imo, but does offer experience and a fighting dog that few others can offer. Big hits are guaranteed.
- Bradley Davies. Big potential, but seems to have dropped off a little this season.
- Deiniol Jones, Lou Reed, Domonic Day. Unlikely to feature.

The backrow isn't quite as strong as the front 5, but there's still quality available. Dafydd Jones was missed in the AI's imo, as he was superb for the Scarlets up to that point. He's the destructive type of player we need to complement Martyn's creativity. He's still not back from injury though, so what other option are there at 6?
- Sam Warberton. He would be my favourite. The youster has shown that he can compete at the highest level. He would help Williams at the breakdown, but he'd also add some great skill and some pace.
- Dan Lydiate. Got his first cap in the AI's, but struggled slightly. Should be included in the squad, even if it means increasing from the smaller squad Gatland likes. Another one for the future.
- Andy Powell. Still not convinced by Powell. His workrate is improving, but it's not good enough for international rugby. He's also not a blindside flanker.
- Joe Bearman. Injured unfortunately. Might not get a Walescap afterall.
- Ryan Jones. Moving him from no8? No!

The rest of the backrow picks itself. Martyn Williams is going downhill though (once he looses his pace, he'll struggle). Ryan Jones has returned to some form, but he's not as dynamic as he used to be.[/b]

4- A W Jones
5- J Thomas

6- Powell
7- M Williams
8- R Jones

Thats what I rekon

Gatland will pick Powell at 6, even though we all seem to agree it should be Warburton. He should get a game at 7 against Italy though, and possibly Scotland. We need to give him all the chances he can get so he doesn't gradually slip up as Sowden-Taylor has.

I'd have no problem with Powell starting on the bench as an impact sub, but I think we need to try someone else at 6. Warberton would be my pick untill Daf Jones returns, but Lydiate should get another game or two.

I'm not sure who is fit or who isn't fit, but my England side would be:

1. Sheridan
2. Hartley
3. Cole
4. Lawes
5. Kennedy
6. Croft
7. Moody
8. Crane
9. Youngs
10. Flood
11. Monye
12. Flutey (Allen for those who object to Flutey playing for England)
13. Hipkiss
14. Strettle
15. Armitage

16. Mears
17. Corbisiero (Would have prefered a young up and coming tighthead, but you don't seem to have any, I can relate to you on that one)
18. Gaskell/Parling (or you could pick Shaw if you think you have an good chance of winning a GS, if not you might as well pick a youngster)
19. Easter
20. Hodgson
21. Wilkinson
22. Tait

Wales:

1. Jenkins
2. Rees
3. A. Jones
4. Gough
5. AW Jones
6. Daffyd Jones
7. M. Williams
8. R. Jones
9. Peel
10. S. Jones
11. S. Williams
12. Hook
13. J. Roberts
14. Halfpenny
15. Byrne

16. Hibbard
17. D. Jones
18. Evans
19. Powell
20. M. Roberts
21. Shanklin (Hook flyhalf cover, Biggar to start if Jones gets injured)
22. T. James

You know how it goes, now you ridicule my post.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 9 2010, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm not sure who is fit or who isn't fit, but my England side would be:

1. Sheridan
2. Hartley
3. Cole
4. Lawes
5. Kennedy
6. Croft
7. Moody
8. Crane
9. Youngs
10. Flood
11. Monye
12. Flutey (Allen for those who object to Flutey playing for England)
13. Hipkiss
14. Strettle
15. Armitage

16. Mears
17. Corbisiero (Would have prefered a young up and coming tighthead, but you don't seem to have any, I can relate to you on that one)
18. Gaskell/Parling (or you could pick Shaw if you think you have an good chance of winning a GS, if not you might as well pick a youngster)
19. Easter
20. Hodgson
21. Wilkinson
22. Tait[/b]

Cheep dig, was that?

Anyway, a team I wouldn't object to for the most part. Although I wouldn't put Strettle in on current form - He's crap at the moment and will cost you more points then delivers (see: Quins to losses against Saints and Wasps directly as a result of his mistakes).

Not a cheap dig, just didn't want you flaming me for putting him in the team :) Allen is a good player.

Strettle isn't a post ELV type winger, but I still think he is class. Who are your form wingers? Ashton? Cueto? Simpson Daniel? Banahan? Cato? Cohen :p ?

Ashton's the form winger, but do I want him to play for England?

f*** no, he can stay with his club! ;)

In reality though, I wouldn't mind him being chucked in at the deep end. If he flops, he flops - Not as if he's be the 1st England player to do so. But then again, it may just turn out rosy for him and England may have that good winger opposite Monye they've been desperate for.

Everything in my wallet (approx 37p) says Banahan will be in the squad though.

Ashton strikes me as a guy who would need time to adjust to test rugby, compare his 2008-2009 season to his 2009-2010 season so far should suggest that. Great player though, and still a young'un.

I can't be bothered to right a squad out, but i think Gareth Williams and Richie Rees should have a look in.

Gatlands XV

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Matthew Rees
3. Adam Jones

Lions front row! Nice

4. Alan Wyn Jones
5. Ian Evans

Not really sure who will play 5 to be honest. Maybe Jon Thomas.

6. Andy Powell
7. Martyn Williams
8. Ryan Jones

Personally i'd have Powell as an impact sub, to just smash the tired defenders. But hes gonna need support if hes going to do that.

9. Dwayne Peel
10. Stephen Jones

I think Stephens to comfortable, knowing hes going to be 10, Biggar needs to be given gametime, not just against Samoa and Canada!

12. Jonathon Davies
13. Jamie Roberts

Doesn't work im my opinion, WE NEED GAVS CREATITVY! and no not Hook at 12, 10 maybe? ha

11. Shane Williams
14. Leigh Halfpenny
15. Lee Byrne

Half penny shouldn't be there but he will be. Just cause of that boot. I'd have Tom James there.

My XV Would be.
1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Matthew Rees
3. Adam Jones
4. Alan Wyn Jones
5. Ian Evans
6. Jonathon Thomas
7. Sam Warburton/ Martyn Williams [depends who the oppoent is]
8. Ryan Jones

9. Dwayne Peel
10. Stephen Jones/Dan Biggar [depends who the oppoent is]
11. Shane Williams
12. WE NEED GAV BACK! Andrew Bishop
13. Tom Shanklin
14. Tom James
15. Lee Byrne

Bench.
Duncan Jones
Gareth Williams
Bradley Davies.
Andy Powell
Richie Rees
DB/SJ/JH
Jamie Roberts

Personally i think theres too many players who know they got their jersey! Think back to 08, gatland had everyone tense by swooping and changing and it worked!
Autumn Internationals, he didn't have a fly half on the bench. What happens when your losing. Stephen Jones, quality steady player. But not got the spark, Wales only spark is Shane.
Biggar must be on the bench, if not Hook, least he tries things! if we're chasing a game, it doesn't matter if he can't control a game from 10, cause he won't need to! If gats starts picking him 15 again, Gatland had a great 08 decision wise. 09 he seemed to go down my book. Have some bottle and make changes and give others a chance.

WALES AIN'T PLAYING EXCITED RUGBY ANYMORE!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 9 2010, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ashton strikes me as a guy who would need time to adjust to test rugby, compare his 2008-2009 season to his 2009-2010 season so far should suggest that. Great player though, and still a young'un.[/b]

08/09 was his development season (being as the ND1 year was something of a joke really) when he spent time in the reserves and learned his trade. Little known fact; He was the top try scorer for the Guinness 'A' league and European Challenge Cup. He has the grounding and all the skills, such a shame England won't ever give him a fair crack of the whip.

Ozzay

Good call with Richie Rees. He's playing better than Cooper and Martin Roberts at the moment. I do like Wayne Evans at the Dragons though, but doubt we'll see him selected. Don't agree with you about Gareth Williams though. Lest season, I wouldn't have argued, but he's not quitr as good this season. His workrate is exceptional, but he hasn't been hitting his throwers as he should be, and he really is just too small at international level imo. Suddenly we seem to be spoled for choice at hooker, after having no-one much for so long. Mathew Rees was the form Hooker for the Lions, but young Ken Owens is chomping at his heels for the Scarlets. At the Ospreys, Hibbard is really playing well. He's always been good around the park, but he's also hitting his throwers this season! Bennett has fallen behind to around 6th choice for Wales imo. Gareth Williams at the Blues as mentioned. Then there's Steve Jones playing superbly at the Dragons, they haven't missed Willis one bit with him there. My order for Wales hookers in order would be:

Mathew Rees
Richard Hibbard
Ken Owens
Steve Jones
Gareth Williams
Huw Bennett
Rhys Thomas

Not a bad list atall!

Just a small thing, but it's Alun-Wyn Jones, not Alan-Wyn.

As for the centres. Yes we do need Gavin back, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon, so we've gotta make do. I think we have to persist with jamie Roberts, we just need to use him better. For the Blues, he's paying waay behind the gainline at the moment due to the outside half standing 15+m back, which nullifies his physical presence. I'm not sure who his parter will be at 13, but I think Hook is worth a shot. They are very different players, and it could work wonders if they get an understanding. It's what I see Gatland trying against England, and I for one am looking forward to that combination. Jonathan Davies isn't out of the picture, but he needs a little more time to improve his skills and mature somewhat as a player. Bishop could be an option, but I don't think he offers anything Jamie doesn't! Shanklin hasn't been in good form, + he's injured.

Agree with the rest. The right wing will be interesting. Halfpenny hasn't been all that good sinse the Lions tour, but he does have that boot. James also hasn't shown too much this season, but who has outside Norton-Knight at the Blues? Brew and Fussell are in the frame, as would Mark Jones if he returns in time. Not fussed to get's the spot.

Wish we had that much depth at two. Currently our two front line hookers are out so young Cronin from Connacht may have a large part to play in this year's tournament. A good prospect though.

Yeh, what's happened over the last year. A couple of seasons ago, Wales were a laughing stock at hooker. Not one player could throw in straight at the linout, even if they were ok in the loose. Now all of a sudden, there are 6 choices that could all slot in very nicely. Rhys Thomas even had a good game for the Blues last night!

Madness!!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jan 10 2010, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeh, what's happened over the last year. A couple of seasons ago, Wales were a laughing stock at hooker. Not one player could throw in straight at the linout, even if they were ok in the loose. Now all of a sudden, there are 6 choices that could all slot in very nicely. Rhys Thomas even had a good game for the Blues last night!

Madness!!!![/b]

In years gone by Wales' best Hooker could be found on Caroline Street at about 2.30am on a Saturday

Or so I've been told.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jan 10 2010, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just a small thing, but it's Alun-Wyn Jones, not Alan-Wyn.[/b]

If we're going to get pickey, might be worth mentinonig it's Lee Byrne, not Burne. Just a little observation of mine from previous posts.

I agree about the hooker, though. I'd love to see Ken Owens get a shot, even if just about Italy, although his Line-Out throwing isn't as good as it was at the start of the season, where he missed one jumper in five games or something.

Here's my revised squad:

BACKS
Fullbacks- Lee Byrne, Jason Tovey
Wingers- Shane Williams, Leigh Halfpenny, Aled Brew, Tom James (Richard Fussel)
Centres- Jamie Roberts, James Hook, Jon Davies, Andrew Bishop
Fly-Halves- Stephen Jones, Dan Biggar (James Hook as cover, though if I'm perfectly honest Preistland has been playing well lately. Weel enough for Wales, I'm not sure. He's very inconsistant...)
Scrum Halves- Dwayne Peel, Wayne Evans (If fit. if not, Martin Roberts), Richie Rees (Sparked the Blues yesterday. Hopefully he could do the same for Wales.)

FORWARDS
Props- Gethin Jenkins, Adam Jones, Hugh Gufftafson, Paul James, Effiron-Lewis Roberts
Hookers- Matthew Rees, Ken Owens, Richard Hibbard
Locks- Alun Wyn Jones, Ian Gough, Luke Charteris, Bradley Davies (Johanthon Thomas could come in for any of these except AWJ.)
Back Row- Ryan Jones ©, Martyn Williams, Sam Warburton, Dan Lydiate, Andy Powell

I'm sticking with the same starting XV as in the original post, though.

6 Dragons, 10 Ospreys, 8 Blues, 3 Scarlets, 2 Sale Chaps. A grand total of 29, a very Gatland-esque figure.

I knew i spelt it wrong, i just couldn't work out which bit.

I don't really watch much region rugby! so can't really comment, but loads have said about this keith owens. Theres a big 2 weeks for the lads in the heineken cup!

Wheres the fault with Jamie Roberts then? Isit the runners coming off him, or SJ? or isit just the way the coach wants to play because the lions he shocked me! and he played awesome for the baa-baas, i just get frustrated not seeing this! We seem to missing our attacking flair through this. Byrne will run nice lines off him though!

The Lions played very flat unlike the Blues, and had a genius at 13. Shanklin is a good player, but he is a bish bosh up the middle centre, not a genius. You have Roberts, Henson, Davies, Bishop, Hook etc. at 12, and embarrassment of riches, 13 is where you need a proper classy centre to compliment Roberts. Out of the 13's playing in Wales, Regan King or Tommy Bowe would be ideal.

Or a much easier solution would be to put Gav at 12, as he has the creative genius you need at international rugby. If I was Gatland I'd have Hook at 12, next best solution.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 10 2010, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Lions played very flat unlike the Blues, and had a genius at 13. Shanklin is a good player, but he is a bish bosh up the middle centre, not a genius. You have Roberts, Henson, Davies, Bishop, Hook etc. at 12, and embarrassment of riches, 13 is where you need a proper classy centre to compliment Roberts. Out of the 13's playing in Wales, Regan King or Tommy Bowe would be ideal.

Or a much easier solution would be to put Gav at 12, as he has the creative genius you need at international rugby. If I was Gatland I'd have Hook at 12, next best solution.[/b]

King is a Kiwi (although he must of qualified by resicencey by now) but yeah he has been the best 13 in Welsh rugby over that last few years.