• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who could claim an upset win?

Yes, we've been through this before, why does going back to their traditional strengths have to be playing loose and reckless?

Japanese rugby is known for being open and attack minded, it has gone back to that under Jones, he's on record saying he wanted to take them back to their traditional strengths, but supplement it with structure.

I don't think them going for a push over try contradicts that, I also don't think you can disregard the fact they clearly play running rugby on 5 minutes of boshing at the end of a couple of games.

Because they spent most of their of time attacking in the last match trying to score pushover tries (I just singled out the last 5 minutes to give an obvious example, but it could be spread over the past year more generally), and vast majority of points have come off set piece. That's just so far removed from 'traditional style' (you said 'style' in your first post). Find and old match from the last century where Japan scored a load of points of a 'traditional strength' of set piece. You won't. But, never mind, if you consider a Japan side resorting to attempt pushover tries repeatedly as 'traditional' then that's up to you.

Last edited:
+1

I live in Wales watch tonnes of Welsh rugby live and on TV and I can honestly say I think he's just a butthurt ponty fan who hates the regions, the WRU and the English although I can understand that because Chris Robshaw is quite clearly at a fault for everything that isn't perfect in the valleys ...... Just my opinion obviously because in the next few hours VC will be on here disagreeing

FYI
I watch around 20 live games per season at all levels from The Welsh championship down the leagues, I also watch 2 live games in France each year, one in the top 14 and 1 in pro div 2, I also watch the top 14 on TV and some Rabo pro 12 games, I watch most of the European games and the 6 Nations.
You are right re the WRU and the regions and I am not a lone voice when feeling they have ruined the game at club level in Wales, you will find that most of the pro region voices are Cardiff supporters.

He runs sideMays plenty for Glaws too. He had clearly listened to the coaches after his first 6N, and ran straight in the 1st test against NZ, scared NZ a fair bit too, to reward his very good game (and no sideMays running) he was dropped to put Manu on the wing (because we can't ever seem to play 36+Manu in the centres) and then stayed dropped for Ashton...

To be fair they moved Yarde to the left, his best position imho. So it's concurrencies be want dropped for Tuilagi, but that Yarde was covering the 14 issue we have/had.

FYI
I watch around 20 live games per season at all levels from The Welsh championship down the leagues, I also watch 2 live games in France each year, one in the top 14 and 1 in pro div 2, I also watch the top 14 on TV and some Rabo pro 12 games, I watch most of the European games and the 6 Nations.
You are right re the WRU and the regions and I am not a lone voice when feeling they have ruined the game at club level in Wales, you will find that most of the pro region voices are Cardiff supporters.

There's a difference between watching the game and being able to understand the game. You clearly don't understand the game.

There's a difference between watching the game and being able to understand the game. You clearly don't understand the game.

It's about time you stopped the playground insults, I have my views and you yours, time to draw a line under it and concentrate on rugby rather than point scoring against one another.
The image I sent was in jest just as the Stereophonics intended and to show their are easy ways of 'baiting' if that was my intention. Rugby is my religion I have been playing, coaching and watching in turn for 48 years. Also in 1996 got a team together consisting of several internationals and 1st class players plus a few local players to play in a charity match to raise money for a quadriplegic guy. So I do understand rugby as well as watch it.
Have a good day.

- - - Updated - - -

I also doubt he watches them.

Not been to the rec since 1997 in the Heineken.

Okay, enough of this.

Please stay on topic. There is no need to turn this thread into a slating thread, or a Wales vs England thread.

There are more than enough of those threads around.

Okay, enough of this.

Please stay on topic. There is no need to turn this thread into a slating thread, or a Wales vs England thread.

There are more than enough of those threads around.

agreed, there is friendly banter, then theres this petty name calling. chill out y'all

Pool A Fiji won't be the side that upsets anyone. They will run everyone close but that's it (Fiji will beat Uruguay). The upset will be Wales beating Australia as everyone expects them to lose!
Pool B is really interesting. I think the USA could upset Scotland and Japan could also upset Scotland possibly, while Samoa could upset South Africa.
Pool C Georgia and Tonga could both upset Argentina.
Pool D Canada or Romania could upset Italy and i believe this would count as an upset because of the way they've been playing the last couple of years France beating Ireland would be an upset.
Going to be a great world cup!

Pool A Fiji won't be the side that upsets anyone. They will run everyone close but that's it (Fiji will beat Uruguay). The upset will be Wales beating Australia as everyone expects them to lose!
Pool B is really interesting. I think the USA could upset Scotland and Japan could also upset Scotland possibly, while Samoa could upset South Africa.
Pool C Georgia and Tonga could both upset Argentina.
Pool D Canada or Romania could upset Italy and i believe this would count as an upset because of the way they've been playing the last couple of years France beating Ireland would be an upset.
Going to be a great world cup!

Based on what I have seen and heard from the Pacific nations cup I think some of your predictions could be true, but less so for other.

Pool A: Fiji won the PNC and at times in their 2 games Vs Samoa look to be producing some unbelievable rugby, reminiscent of that 10 minute spell of QF 2007 where they blew SA away and knocked out Wales. Leone Nakarawa looks unstoppable at times, as if Glasgow don't get the best out of him because the others aren't really on the same page as him. Key phrase is 'at times' though. I don't really subscribe to stereotypes of teams but Fiji blowing hot and cold through an 80 min period is definitely one. I don't expect them to win more than 1 game, but won't be shocked if they do. There scrum has looked very solid so far and they have an 8 day rest before Wales, as opposed to 5 for their opponents.
Pool B: By all accounts USA have been dismal in the PNC, despite fielding strong teams as opposed to weakened, rotational and experimental ones for others (Samoa and Japan in particular). Todd Clever, their captain has just been dropped in suspicious circumstances, hinting unrest in the team. All in all, I can't see them winning a game at the moment. Japan have also been pretty disappointing but have been fielding some significantly weakened teams. Somehow they've picked up this tag as an attacking, running team that is light up-front, when in fact they have one of the best scrum % in world rugby, a pack as heavy as any other and score most of their points through attritional play (they do attempt to throw it around, just unsuccessfully). Based on their style and the success they've had over the past 2 years I'd say they can still pull an upset against Scot/Samoa.
Pool C: I agree with you here. Both have a big chance to upset Argentina imo. If I could have picked any 'minnows' match to go to it would definitely be Tonga v Georgia at Kingsholm. Relative to other matches, £15 in a proper rugby ground is an absolute bargain.
Pool D: No way of telling yet what Romania will be like but I expect them to give Italy a good run for their money. Not enough for France/Ireland though I think. Canada are looking for sponsorship of their scrum from 'I can't believe it's not butter'.

Well i maybe biased but if Tonga could see off Argentina than that would be an upset worth noting. Memorable RWC moments...

RWC 2007 - gave South Africa a terrible fright/wake up call. Had a chip kick in the last minute gone in our favour we would've won. Final score 25-30.
RWC 2011 - beat France 19-14. Very unlucky not to have made the quarters as France had more points (Both Tonga and France had 2 wins 2 losses in pool stage). France made all the way to the grand final vs NZ.
RWC 2015 - in pool C with NZ, Namibia, Georgia, Argentina. IF Tonga beats Georgia and Namibia in their first 2 games, with the momentum should give Argentina a big challenge, and just maybe, the upset.

44 more days to go!

Last edited:
Well i maybe biased but if Tonga could see off Argentina than that would be an upset worth noting. Memorable RWC moments...

RWC 2007 - gave South Africa a terrible fright/wake up call. Had a chip kick in the last minute gone in our favour we would've won. Final score 25-30.
RWC 2011 - beat France 19-14. Very unlucky not to have made the quarters as France had more points (Both Tonga and France had 2 wins 2 losses in pool stage). France made all the way to the grand final vs NZ.
RWC 2015 - in pool C with NZ, Namibia, Georgia, Argentina. IF Tonga beats Georgia and Namibia in their first 2 games, with the momentum should give Argentina a big challenge, and just maybe, the upset.

44 more days to go!

Noooo. You are going to beat the ABs, not the Pumas

Watched the first half of the PNC final so far, anyone who thinks Fiji doesn't stand a chance of getting an upset needs to take a look. England will have to get off to a good start, and Wales will have to hope they're 2nd XV are upto it.

Watched the first half of the PNC final so far, anyone who thinks Fiji doesn't stand a chance of getting an upset needs to take a look. England will have to get off to a good start, and Wales will have to hope they're 2nd XV are upto it.

if the team we field is anything like the one for saturday then it could work out well, we'd struggle more to out muscle fiji than cut them up, some of this 2nd XV of ours seems to be hinting at running rugby with the players selected

Any of the P.I nations over the top tier. As well as the Americans and Canadians over the top tier. With all respect to Argentina, Scotland and my beloved Samoa but they're not the tier 1 nations Im referring to.

I think Pool B will be interesting because i think Scotland aren't as good as people think and the national side is going downhill slowly and always seems to be turning a corner and never do and for some reason I always want the USA to do well guess their my tier 2 nation. USA had a good second half against Samoa won against Japan and Canada but fielded a weakened team against Tonga and paid the price. From what i've heard Todd clever was dropped because he didn't bother to turn up to training twice though why the captain and one of the star players doesn't turn up for training i don't know why.

- - - Updated - - -

Wales will not be burned by Fiji at a world cup again! Lesson learnt!

I think Pool B will be interesting because i think Scotland aren't as good as people think and the national side is going downhill slowly and always seems to be turning a corner and never do

Bloody roundabouts that's the problem.

Australia; the big upset is coming from where they are currently seeded to beat the home advantage of England in the Group match.

Latest posts