• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What book are you currently reading?

Got Lady Chatterley on the go at the moment. Just feels like one of the classics that I ought to have read.

Mostly non fiction regarding economies and military history pre-1450AD but no fiction.
Does anybody have a recommendation for some fiction that they couldn't put down?

Mostly non fiction regarding economies and military history pre-1450AD but no fiction.
Does anybody have a recommendation for some fiction that they couldn't put down?

I'm a big fan of Iain Banks' non sci-fi- The Crow Road is a good one.

I should be able to think of more but I've gone blank.

Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood, is excellent.

I find that taste in fiction is very personal, so apologies if you think any of that is bilge.

Thanks for that, I'll look them up at Amazon and get them on my kindle.
I attended a lecture at University many years ago now by Margaret Atwood...

Apart from some books in German where I don't know if they've been translated, I liked Deon Meyer's Cobra a lot. I thought Carl Reevik's The Last Compromise was great. I got the e-book for free on Amazon and even when it wasn't free, it was really cheap, but it's great. Lots of different locations, interesting insights, but gripping. Apart from that, the books I've read lately that I liked very much were mostly non-fiction.

I've got Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy on the go and finding it really hard work.

How far in are you?

I find Le Carre has a very dense style and given the slowness of the plot and the deliberate layers of mystery, I can see how it can be hard work, but I found as the plot gathers momentum the book sucked me in and I read it as quickly as I could.

The TV series featuring Alec Guinness is very recommended if you can get your hands on it btw.

About 40% Peat - you can tell I'm using a kindle! When I get that far in I'll stick with it out of sheer stubbornness. Hopefully all the pieces will start to fall into place.

Having a bit of a retro "I've seen the film so I should read the book" period. Really enjoyed The Eagle Has Landed, The Fourth Protocol was excellent (film doesn't do it justice), but best of all was The Day of the Jackal.

One guilty pleasure of mine is terrible old pulp novels from just after WWII, especially if they can be followed by the film from the same era.

The Guns Of Navarone is a favourite, as is The Cruel Sea- though it cannot be dismissed as pulp fiction. Deeply moving and unremittingly tragic, the film is almost as good.

Anything by Joe Abercrombie is amazing. Start with The First Law trilogy. And Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Trilogy is amazing. If you like stuff from the Civil War, try The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. First book in a trilogy. His son JEFF wrote the next two. They were pretty good. Historical fiction.

Reading a ghost story now. Though i am little bit nervous but interesting.

There's a book called Dracula vs Hitler out in October. I must have it.

This obviously a while ago, but if you're still looking I'd recommend classic detective fiction for unputdownable fiction - basically Arthur Conan-Doyle (Sherlock Holmes) or Agatha Christie (Poirot / Miss Marple) are the only 2 worth bothering with.

Latest posts