• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What book are you currently reading?

Finished the His Dark Materials series the other week.

Puts other teen/young adult fantasy fiction to shame.

I like make reading the mythology of greek people antiquity timing. Many much symbolic, every word important in story, no waste in story telling spending the times useless narrate wasteful of the time, much great fruitful fabulous moralities and metaphors.
The man who wrote this book must be great head and also great diet because good thought process so sound eating plan.

I like.

Started reading Teffy (amazing Russian-Empire writer who had to run away from Russia after 1917 and spent rest of her life in Paris) Her diaries about first years after revolution in Russia are something that really unveils the truth. Astonishing, can't pick up another word.

I like make reading the mythology of greek people antiquity timing. Many much symbolic, every word important in story, no waste in story telling spending the times useless narrate wasteful of the time, much great fruitful fabulous moralities and metaphors.
The man who wrote this book must be great head and also great diet because good thought process so sound eating plan.

I like.

Try reading the history of 'Alcibiades'. Fascinating person, with a hell of a story.

Started Ender's Game last night very good so far tough to put down.

Try reading the history of 'Alcibiades'. Fascinating person, with a hell of a story.

your comment is not up to standards as a reply to that immense post I'm mercifully allowing your small minds to marvel at there...

your comment is not up to standards as a reply to that immense post I'm mercifully allowing your small minds to marvel at there...

Hah, just read it again. For some reason it made perfect sense to me the first time. (Think alcohol may have been involved)

I'm reading a book called Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. Kind of a humorous book with some mystery interwoven - very much worthy of a read. Has the odd philosophical moment too, which is nice.

Hah, just read it again. For some reason it made perfect sense to me the first time. (Think alcohol may have been involved)

you insulting little pony...how dare you mix alcohol with my beautiful pure freshly pressed orange juice...

A belated R.I.P to Tom Clancy. A great author of some great book but also led to films and video games. The Hunt For Red October is my favourite book ever so am reading it again for the 10000th time in remembrance.

Noam Chomsky's "How the World Works"

pretty interesting one actually, recommend it

Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific 1941-1942. By Ian Toll. Fantastic book for history lovers, covers all the major sea campaigns in the Pacific leading up to Midway, very vidid and informative descriptions of the battles and key personalities involved. I was pleased with the detail provided on the Japanese perspective.

Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling. By Bret Hart. I absolutely loved Hart's autobiography, so many funny stories about some of the wrestlers I watched as a kid and Hart is very honest and open about his life and career. Some very sad and poignant moments as well and very much worth reading if you were a fan of wrestling as a kid or a fan of Bret Hart.

Started Ender's Game last night very good so far tough to put down.

I'm reading this book as well. It really is very good. I'm impressed with the way he writes and the book is so much more than just a scifi hey. Psychology, philosophy, the human condition. There's some really interesting stuff under the excitement of interstellar warfare. I haven't seen the movie but I think this can only truly be appreciated through his writing. There's 14 books in total so it's gona take a while to get through :wacko:

Currently on a Asimov binge. Read the Foundation series a couple of years ago and just polished off the robot stories as well as a few of his other short stories. Have moved on to The Stars, Like Dust.

Also have finished all of the Flashman books by George MacDonald Fraiser. Really good historical fiction on the major activities of the British empire during the latter half of the 19th century.

Currently on a Asimov binge. Read the Foundation series a couple of years ago and just polished off the robot stories as well as a few of his other short stories. Have moved on to The Stars, Like Dust.

Also have finished all of the Flashman books by George MacDonald Fraiser. Really good historical fiction on the major activities of the British empire during the latter half of the 19th century.

Foundation is an incredible series. Have you read the new one? (I swear I saw there was a (relatively) new one out)
The idea of Psychohistory is really interesting (Asimov was sooooooo ahead of his time in his thinking (apart from atomic watches etc))

Foundation is an incredible series. Have you read the new one? (I swear I saw there was a (relatively) new one out)
The idea of Psychohistory is really interesting (Asimov was sooooooo ahead of his time in his thinking (apart from atomic watches etc))

There are the ones he wrote in the 80's that sort of try to conclude the series, but I didn't particularly like them. He tries to kind of force his Robot stories together into the same universe, and for me it didn't really work. I want to read the prequels though, they look pretty good.

Yeah, psychohistory is a pretty cool idea. I think I read Foundation when I was doing a statistical mechanics course, which is mainly concerned with deriving the bulk behavior of groups of atoms/molecules (thermodynamics essentially) from individual atomic behavior and QM, so it was a really nice parallel.

Asimov makes some pretty weird predictions. He predicts a lot of stuff will come from "atomics," but that's pretty common of sci fi writers in the 50's. Fun fact, he was the guy who coined the word "robotics."

There are the ones he wrote in the 80's that sort of try to conclude the series, but I didn't particularly like them. He tries to kind of force his Robot stories together into the same universe, and for me it didn't really work. I want to read the prequels though, they look pretty good.

Yeah, psychohistory is a pretty cool idea. I think I read Foundation when I was doing a statistical mechanics course, which is mainly concerned with deriving the bulk behavior of groups of atoms/molecules (thermodynamics essentially) from individual atomic behavior and QM, so it was a really nice parallel.

Asimov makes some pretty weird predictions. He predicts a lot of stuff will come from "atomics," but that's pretty common of sci fi writers in the 50's. Fun fact, he was the guy who coined the word "robotics."

Did he actually create 'robot'? I thought that was derived from a French word. I know he created the Three Laws of Robotics, but unsure on the actual 'robot' part.

Been a long time since I read the series, been looking for something to read again, now that 'The Wheel of Time' has concluded, so may go back through them if I can find them.

(Think I deserve an award for 'the worst sentence construction' there.)

Edit:
Thought so, it's from a Czech word, and was popularised by Karel Čapek in the 20's, although he credits it's invention to his brother.

Last edited:

Latest posts