• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What book are you currently reading?

One Shot - Lee Childs (Jack Reacher Series)

Have started from the beginning of the series, trying to complete and get up to date with the series...

One Shot - Lee Childs (Jack Reacher Series)

Have started from the beginning of the series, trying to complete and get up to date with the series...

How are the books? I have not seen the movie, but have been curious about the books for a while now. I like books with a strong character, preferrably on the quirky side.

Speaking of which, I recently got caught up on the Special Agent Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. The first book in the series, Relic, was made into a movie but not a very good one, especially since it omitted the character of Pendergast! I adore Pendergast and all of his little oddities, and the books can be scary as hell sometimes, if not a bit gruesome. Great reads for stormy nights, or if you reeeaally need to stay awake!

On the lighter side I'm also reading the Hamish Macbeth series by M. C. Beaton. If you want engaging characters set against a Highlands backdrop, these are good, light reads for those nights when you don't want to think too hard. :)

Also reading a lot of graphic novels. Recently finished (and thoroughly enjoyed!):

The Massive: Black Pacific by Brian Wood (environmental activist dealing with a post-everything world)
The Creep by John Arcudi, Scott Allie, and Jonathan Case (detective investigating the suicide of a teenager)
Great Pacific: Trashed by Joe Harris and Martin Morazzo (rich kid claims the Great Pacific Garbage Patch as his own sovereign nation)
The Lone Ranger: Snake of Iron by Chuck Dixon and Esteve Polls (Pure western action without all the supernatural crap)

das

World War Z. The book is pretty good. Not seen the movie and believe it has little to do with the novel. I am awaiting for a forum review on the film.

I absolutely loved the book!
I was really looking forward to seeing how they tackled it for the movie but apparently it's unrecognisable, and the only similarity is the name. The author has basically disowned it from what I've heard.
It would have made a great HBO series, imo.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Currently struggling through the 2nd book of the 'Harlequin' Series , Vagabond by Bernard Cornwell.

Get that out the way and i can start on Harry Sidebottoms 'Warrior of Rome : The Wolves of the North' as the 6th book is dropping on the 18th of July

I've just starting reading "The Iron King" by Maurice Druon, George R. R. Martin claims this is the original Game of Thrones.

Last edited:
Currently catch 22 fairly interesting if a bit odd at times.

Recently finished Murphy's auto-biography which I really enjoyed seemed to be very honest and confronted issues which from what I've read are avoided in players Auto-Biographies.

Finally also recently finished The Reluctant Fundamentalist which I enjoyed but the ending was sorta disappointing.

Currently catch 22 fairly interesting if a bit odd at times.

Recently finished Murphy's auto-biography which I r

Very anti-morale book. Fantastic read though.

Just finished the 'Wheel of Time' series (unfortunately, Robert Jordan (the author) died before it was finished, and although he left notes, Sanderson did a Curtley Beale with the final book)

Saw a trailer for that is it just another Zombie type end of the world thing?

The movie is.

The book is a lot different, looks at lots of different countries, and the socio and economical effects of the zombies.

Very anti-morale book. Fantastic read though.

Just finished the 'Wheel of Time' series (unfortunately, Robert Jordan (the author) died before it was finished, and although he left notes, Sanderson did a Curtley Beale with the final book)

I still need to re-read the final book. I read it so quickly, because I wanted my closure and to finish it, that a lot of it didn't really sink in and I'm not sure I did it justice... but I did get much the same feeling. But I want to give it a second go, and the structure was rather against the last book being awesome, simply because there was so much to wrap up.

I'm dipping in and out of books at the moment - partially because I'm helping a friend publish his by doing editing, partially because I'm trying to write one myself. Last book I read was Bernard Cornwell's latest, which was frankly a little meh.

Read "7 Deadly Sins" by David Walsh. Good read and well opens your eyes to Lance Armstrong saga but more so how the doping was operated and what a crazy operation was being run in that sport. Also how they were beating tests and then when caught how they got out of it

Reading 'The Numbers Game - Why everything you know about football is wrong' by Anderson & Sally.
Really interesting read.
Also, Freakonomics is extremely interesting.

(I say interesting if you're interested in stats etc and how they actually affect things, not if you're looking for a storyline :p)

Read "7 Deadly Sins" by David Walsh. Good read and well opens your eyes to Lance Armstrong saga but more so how the doping was operated and what a crazy operation was being run in that sport. Also how they were beating tests and then when caught how they got out of it

On this actually. A heads up to anyone who uses protein from the US. Apparently a lot of it is manufactured in the same plants as they make anabolic steroids, leading to a high risk of cross contamination. So if you have thoughts on playing competitive sports it's something worth keeping in mind.

Oh, and I'm currently reading The Lord of The Flies having just polished off The Old Man and the Sea. Short novels ftw.

Just started reading 'Total Recall' - Arnie's biography, and re-starting '1421 - the year China discovered the world' (a book which basically destroys most history that's been taught in Europe/USA for the last 500yrs)

Just started reading 'Total Recall' - Arnie's biography, and re-starting '1421 - the year China discovered the world' (a book which basically destroys most history that's been taught in Europe/USA for the last 500yrs)

1421 is complete tosh. Look it up online, there are a few sites that comprehensively debunk every point.

Have now read first 5 of the Bourne books. Would really recommend them to anyone who enjoys a good read and liked the movies. The books are alot better than the movies and well it hard to believe they are som much older as the stories in my opinion are better and more thrilling.

@Feic re 7 Deadly Sins, The operation they run (especially in the USA and Switzerland) is crazy and well I think there still so much more about EPO and others that we don't know. Cycling and Athletics have been hit in recent times but it still is in my opinion a much broader issue that I think more sports will become dragged in. But I think it more individual sports that are the offenders here.

Latest posts