• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh Rugby Stuff

The WRU aren't the Scarlets.

Thanks for pointing that out, was quite unsure. <_< Not my point however.

Stays in Wales he is available when he is needed for by the WRU. It therefore makes sense for the WRU to look to help aid another region to keep him in Wales.

Code:
The WRU aren't the Scarlets.

If the WRU want to keep him in Wales they should keep him at the Scarlets.
I don't see how they can afford to keep him in one region but not another...?

I think (but again this is not official information, just what you pick up through hearsay at the club and the media), that the WRU would part-fund the contract, leaving the region to pay a certain amount towards it. Perhaps the Scarlets cannot afford that amount/do not want that set up. Theres also the idea that the terms of that contract may may not be agreeable (i.e. the WRU caps the no. of games North plays for the region). I'm guessing the Blues move was a last resort in order to keep North in Wales, rather than a preferred move for everyone.

Without having offcial information the whole situation is a mess and all this confusion will continue.

Surely North could secure availability for the WRU written into his contract, the pro12 and premiership run concurrently do they not?
Anyway, if the WRU is willing to centrally contract him, but can't due to the regions' stance on the matter, they could probably afford to partly fund the Northampton move in exchange for full availability?
And during the 6N it wouldn't be in the interest of his club to play him in the fallow weeks anyway.

Is this a case of the Scarlets can't afford or wont afford? It doesn't seem clear...

Last edited:
Surely North could secure availability for the WRU written into his contract, the pro12 and premiership run concurrently do they not?
Anyway, if the WRU is willing to centrally contract him, but can't due to the regions' stance on the matter, they could probably afford to partly fund the Northampton move in exchange for full availability?
And during the 6N it wouldn't be in the interest of his club to play him in the fallow weeks anyway.

Is this a case of the Scarlets can't afford or wont afford? It doesn't seem clear...

The PRL explicitly forbids clubs from having any such arrangements with organisations other than the RFU.

Didn't know that, I would have thought George is smart enough to know that he needs to get full availability written in though.
Can't see NH giving any sort of match limits without some reimbursement.
TBH I don't care all that much, I am just excited about having him in the prem, sorry Welsh guys!

The Cardiff Blues have a little spare cash thanks to Jamie Roberts leaving and they have a strange link with the WRU.

Which has already been spent on 2/3 of the Lions front row.

The Blues are as cash strapped as the rest of the regions, and they shouldn't be wasting their money on the wings either when their front five especially their scrum and midfield are the glaring weaknesses in the side.

Not one region looks like improving at all on their squad this season. Just look at the Ospreys replacing Fotuali'i with Tebaldi whilst Webb gets a new 3 year contract just sums it up.

Not one region looks like improving at all on their squad this season. Just look at the Ospreys replacing Fotuali'i with Tebaldi whilst Webb gets a new 3 year contract just sums it up.

Yeah but they have Habberfield who has impressed out of position on the wing. I hope that when Walker and Dirksen return, Habberfield will be in the running for first choice scrum-half.

The WRU are getting as senile as they were in the 70s with the big five.
A mass cull is needed at the top.

It comes down to why pay to have him play in England when there is a option (All be it a small one) to keep him in Wales?

To be fair I hope this mess gets sorted out soon as it's becoming a joke.

I'm not so sure. The Ospreys squad is by-and-large very young eg Lewis, Tipuric, King, Peers, Bevington, Dirksen, Grabham, Walker etc. I think that the squad as a whole will get better as these guys develop.

Also, it seems like the vast majority of the squad has been developed from within. I could only find a handful of players which haven't spent most of their rugby career at Ospreys. The Ospreys must have a killer player development scheme.

Fotuali'i is a loss, but I think it'll be offset by general improvements in the squad.

Also, as for the Blues I think Gethin Jenkins and Matthew Rees is an improvement on Tom James, Ceri Sweeney and Jamie Roberts imo.

Scarlets are going backwards though.

It comes down to why pay to have him play in England when there is a option (All be it a small one) to keep him in Wales?

To be fair I hope this mess gets sorted out soon as it's becoming a joke.

I have read elsewhere that an offer was made to Cardiff Blues to take him, with a WRU retainer on top to match the wages he would command at Northampton, which Cardiff refused out of solidarity. If the regions are willing to stand as one, then either North was to stay as a Scarlets player on the terms they could offer, or he was to leave. From Scarlets part of view, why keep him for an extra year in which he will barely play due to international and Lions duty, when they could get compensation for letting someone else do that? Bit of a no-brainer really in those terms...

From Scarlets part of view, why keep him for an extra year in which he will barely play due to international and Lions duty, when they could get compensation for letting someone else do that? Bit of a no-brainer really in those terms...

Why do the Ospreys keep Alun-Wyn Jones, Dan Biggar, and all the other Welsh international players in their squad? They understand that in order to compete with the best, they need the best players. The Scarlets can't go selling all their world class players to make a quick buck. With a little development in other areas, the Scarlets could have build a team around someone like North, a 20 y/o who possesses every physical attribute you could wish for.

As I've said before, the Scarlets are getting enough money from the WRU to retain him. That £1.5 million is specifically given to the region as compensation for player drain, and it covers all of North's salary. If they are unwilling to try to keep these players (this isn't being outbid at the end of his contract), then they don't deserve the same amount of compensation from the WRU.

Nest season the Scarlets will have a wing pairing of Kristian Phillips and ?. Fenby has gone as well after all. Liam Williams will probably play out of position on the wing, with Gareth Owen at fullback. Owen should be being groomed at inside centre, and Liam Williams should be being developed at fullback (even if some dislike him). There are still rumours of Scott Williams leaving as well, that would leave the Scarlets backline thread-bare.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure. The Ospreys squad is by-and-large very young eg Lewis, Tipuric, King, Peers, Bevington, Dirksen, Grabham, Walker etc. I think that the squad as a whole will get better as these guys develop.

Also, it seems like the vast majority of the squad has been developed from within. I could only find a handful of players which haven't spent most of their rugby career at Ospreys. The Ospreys must have a killer player development scheme.

Fotuali'i is a loss, but I think it'll be offset by general improvements in the squad.

Also, as for the Blues I think Gethin Jenkins and Matthew Rees is an improvement on Tom James, Ceri Sweeney and Jamie Roberts imo.

j'nuh, the way things are going the Ospreys will lose them when their contract comes up for renewal if they become good. Also Grabham looks out of place on that list, he isn't very good. As for Lewis, King, Peers they are all a way off even becoming first choice and Bevington, Dirksen and Walker have a way to go, no guarantee they will improve either, many players look promising then just stall and don't improve from that point such as Knoyle being a good example of that. Only Tipuric from that list is already an absolute indispensable player.

Losing Fotuali'i who has been vital this season, and then having two dire options who are a country mile from his quality in Tebaldi and Webb there is a huge blow. No coincidence that the side has been playing much worse whenever Kahn isn't on the field this season.

Why do the Ospreys keep Alun-Wyn Jones, Dan Biggar, and all the other Welsh international players in their squad? They understand that in order to compete with the best, they need the best players. The Scarlets can't go selling all their world class players to make a quick buck. With a little development in other areas, the Scarlets could have build a team around someone like North, a 20 y/o who possesses every physical attribute you could wish for.

As I've said before, the Scarlets are getting enough money from the WRU to retain him. That £1.5 million is specifically given to the region as compensation for player drain, and it covers all of North's salary. If they are unwilling to try to keep these players (this isn't being outbid at the end of his contract), then they don't deserve the same amount of compensation from the WRU.

Nest season the Scarlets will have a wing pairing of Kristian Phillips and ?. Fenby has gone as well after all. Liam Williams will probably play out of position on the wing, with Gareth Owen at fullback. Owen should be being groomed at inside centre, and Liam Williams should be being developed at fullback (even if some dislike him). There are still rumours of Scott Williams leaving as well, that would leave the Scarlets backline thread-bare.

To be fair the Ospreys have gone to a different tactic. They are in the same position like the other regions, but they have managed to retain a good team from 1-10 by selling off all the depth below the first XV, as well as now leaving the depth in the backs paper thin to the extent that there are only two genuine wingers in the squad and makeshift scrum halves have played there all season.

Scarlets situation isn't comparable. The Ospreys can build their side around the front five (and even there Paul James has been a big loss), the Scarlets can't build their side around a outside backs (who are little overhyped as a unit anyway tbh) when they have a weak pack. You won't go far with the Scarlets pack they currently have, just look at their Heineken Cup campaign this season. Regardless who the wingers are.

On another note, Liam Williams on the wing isn't out of position, it is actually his best position.

j'nuh, the way things are going the Ospreys will lose them when their contract comes up for renewal if they become good. Also Grabham looks out of place on that list, he isn't very good. As for Lewis, King, Peers they are all a way off even becoming first choice and Bevington, Dirksen and Walker have a way to go, no guarantee they will improve either, many players look promising then just stall and don't improve from that point such as Knoyle being a good example of that. Only Tipuric from that list is already an absolute indispensable player.

Losing Fotuali'i who has been vital this season, and then having two dire options who are a country mile from his quality in Tebaldi and Webb there is a huge blow. No coincidence that the side has been playing much worse whenever Kahn isn't on the field this season.
It's all very negative. :p Ospreys had a team of stars not too long ago. I believe they were nicknamed the 'Galacticos'? (It was around the time I started getting into rugby, so those years are a little hazy.) They didn't really live up to their potential. I think that despite losing so many big names, the Ospreys are managing to consistently stay afloat near the top. Also, big losses at the time are nearly always mitigated by there being quality/young replacements. Bowe and Shane leave - Walker and Dirksen look to be something special. Holah and Collins? Tipuric and Jones. Bennett? Hibbard. Paul James? Bevington. Lee Byrne? Fussell. James Hook? Dan Biggar. Meanwhile, it looks like Evans and AWJ are getting better by the years - potential Lions second row there. Ospreys have a knack for developing replacements.

Fotuali'i leaving is a blow, but the team are bigger than one man and I feel that if he's going to be the only loss, then Ospreys fans have reasons to feel optimistic.

There is/was a new contract offer on the table for North. From their point of view, it makes sense to do this process a year early. If he wasn't going to sign it this year, what odds on him signing it next, when if anything clubs would be waving bigger wage slips under his nose due to not having to pay compensation as well? As far as I can see, Scarlets have tried to keep him and failed. As such, they are managing the timing of what they see as an inevitable departure to suit themselves. Scarlets should be a better rugby team next year at the very least for spending they money they had been on North on players who will be there; the year after, there was no North anyway.

There is/was a new contract offer on the table for North. From their point of view, it makes sense to do this process a year early. If he wasn't going to sign it this year, what odds on him signing it next, when if anything clubs would be waving bigger wage slips under his nose due to not having to pay compensation as well? As far as I can see, Scarlets have tried to keep him and failed. As such, they are managing the timing of what they see as an inevitable departure to suit themselves. Scarlets should be a better rugby team next year at the very least for spending they money they had been on North on players who will be there; the year after, there was no North anyway.
Something overlooked is that £250k is an insane transfer fee in rugby. Comparatively, Gloucester are rumoured to have spent only £100k on Ben Morgan. If Scarlets reinvest that money in the playing squad, Scarlets could either bring in two good players, or use it to bolster contracts and stave off players leaving for the next couple of years. It's a good bit of business for a team struggling financially.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure what the Saints are doing. £250k transfer fee and eating up the salary cap on a wing who misses big chunks of the season when they really need to focus spending the cap on:
a) replacements for the props leaving
<del>b) a fly-half better than Myler</del>
c) a good number 8
d) more cover for Foden
If they end up not having room under the cap to sort these out, the Saints won't have an improved squad next year.
EDIT: rumoured(?) to have signed Glenn Dickson. Not sure whether he's better than Myler though. Or whether he's even a full-out 10. Apparently couldn't make it for the Highlanders though.

Last edited:

I understand that, but how many players sign fresh contracts with a year to run on their previous contract? Every agent out there would tell him to hold out and see what offers arise the following year. We were all under the impression that Dan Biggar was offered some big money deals in France, but chose to stay in Wales. Adam Jones must have been one of the most sought after players when his contract was up a year or so ago, but again chose to stay in Wales. If North was happy at the Scarlets, then at the age of 20, he might have ultimately decided to accept a lower deal that what he could get in Northampton or France etc. and stay. The Scarlets haven't really given him that option, instead they have seen that £250,000 transfer fee and have ran with it.

Maybe it is the best option for them, maybe they can use that money to recruit a forward or two. But I still feel like they are missing the big picture. What if someone comes calling for Jon Davies, Aaron Shingler, Ken Owens etc. next, offering big transfer fees to cut their contracts short (we know the Franch clubs have the money), are they going to get rid of all their Welsh international players?

They can't even keep hold of an emerging 20 y/o outside half in Owen Williams, or an average win in Fenby (who to be fair has been one of their better players this season). They'll probably spend that £250,000 on a couple more average journeymen SA forwards (SA forwards are all hard-nosed beasts after all) and be just as poor next season, except this time they won't have wingers to score them some try's to give them a hope.

The Ospreys are building themselves a quality, young squad, using home-grown players. Those players obviously want to stay and help to region succeed as a number have turned down big-money moves to stay. The Scarlets (sorry, Llanelli) were run into the ground by Gallagher in terms of finance, went begging to the WRU and Llanelli council for help, and are now paying for that by selling their best players. That is nothing but a road to failure.

The WRU have offered to centrally contract international players for a year now. That would have meant North staying at the Scarlets, but the regions are too stubborn to do that, so now the Scarlets fans pay for it by no longer being able to watch one of Wales' most promising stars develop.

I hope North goes to Northampton, develops as a player under a proper coach (not a rookie bunch of coaches like Easterby and Mark Jones), and fulfil his potential.

Something overlooked is that £250k is an insane transfer fee in rugby. Comparatively, Gloucester are rumoured to have spent only £100k on Ben Morgan. If Scarlets reinvest that money in the playing squad, Scarlets could either bring in two good players, or use it to bolster contracts and stave off players leaving for the next couple of years. It's a good bit of business for a team struggling financially.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure what the Saints are doing. £250k transfer fee and eating up the salary cap on a wing who misses big chunks of the season when they really need to focus spending the cap on:
a) replacements for the props leaving
<del>b) a fly-half better than Myler</del>
c) a good number 8
d) more cover for Foden
If they end up not having room under the cap to sort these out, the Saints won't have an improved squad next year.
EDIT: rumoured(?) to have signed Glenn Dickson. Not sure whether he's better than Myler though. Or whether he's even a full-out 10. Apparently couldn't make it for the Highlanders though.

Pretty much what Matt Dawson said yesterday. North is a good signing but not a great one. He will not see much ball unless the issues are fixed at ten and twelve. Sooner spend the cash on a great ten and a semi decent wing. We do have Corbs coming so part on the issue may be resolved if he stays fit.

North will not make us a league winning team.

Last edited:
Pretty much what Matt Dawson said yesterday. North is a good signing but not a great one. He will not see much ball unless the issues are fixed at ten and twelve. Sooner spend the cash on a great ten and a semi decent wing.
Especially with the way Northampton play.We'll see more of Lord Lucan than George.:D

Latest posts