• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh Rugby Stuff

Pretty much what Matt Dawson said yesterday. North is a good signing but not a great one. He will not see much ball unless the issues are fixed at ten and twelve. Sooner spend the cash on a great ten and a semi decent wing. We do have Corbs coming so part on the issue may be resolved if he stays fit.

North will not make us a league winning team.
About the 12 - isn't Waldouck working out?

Cai Griffiths has been slagging off Sam Warburton's captaincy on Twitter. Calling him a "Yes Man" (since deleted) and saying that he can't do speeches.

On another note, I can't wait until this waste of space is finally out of the Ospreys squad. He's 29 now, been in the squad 10 years, too long now, about time people realised he isn't good and pushed him out for good. Even the Moldovan prop Dmitri Arhip has overtaken him of late, with Jarvis and Jo Rees back next season no need for ego inflated ***** like Cai Griffiths who struts around as if he's the Galactico in the squad, yet fails to ever deliver on the pitch.

BJDBqgnCQAIcPNn.jpg

Cai Griffiths has been slagging off Sam Warburton's captaincy on Twitter. Calling him a "Yes Man" (since deleted) and saying that he can't do speeches.

On another note, I can't wait until this waste of space is finally out of the Ospreys squad. He's 29 now, been in the squad 10 years, too long now, about time people realised he isn't good and pushed him out for good. Even the Moldovan prop Dmitri Arhip has overtaken him of late, with Jarvis and Jo Rees back next season no need for ego inflated ***** like Cai Griffiths who struts around as if he's the Galactico in the squad, yet fails to ever deliver on the pitch.

BJDBqgnCQAIcPNn.jpg

Of any player to slag off someone, Cai should be the last in line. The only line he is at the front of is at Nando's.
I really wish Spratt, Smith, Griffiths, stayed at LI. I was immensely pleased when I saw those at first.

Draggs, do you fancy seeing Matthew Morgan at Rodney Parade?

He may be headed there soon, voicing his discontent about not getting chances at the Ospreys on Twitter.

Nothing worse than working hard and getting no where.. �� #frustrating
Retweeted by Matthew Morgan

kathryn ‏@KathrynDavies_x 3 May
I don't know what the best option for Matthew is but something needs to be done... How can a player develop his game if he never plays!!!
Retweeted by Matthew Morgan

Meanwhile his brother says:

Tom Morgan ™™™™™™ ‏@Tommymorg 3 May
Wat the **** can a player do in 10mins fuking pathetic

Tom Morgan ™™™™™™ ‏@Tommymorg 3 May
Fair play ospreys coaches are ****ing mugs clueless *****

Not a wise move. He may find himself heading Dragons way or to a Championship team. Especially considering he got chances when Biggar was playing 6N and hardly staked a claim to start ahead of Biggar as first choice in my opinion. Has been overtaken as young prospect by Owen Williams and Rhys Patchell this season.

Of any player to slag off someone, Cai should be the last in line. The only line he is at the front of is at Nando's.
I really wish Spratt, Smith, Griffiths, stayed at LI. I was immensely pleased when I saw those at first.

Agreed. They haven't even used Smith this season (despite him being seemingly being undroppable and made captain sometimes last season) and promoted King and Morgan Allen ahead so what was the point of him coming back anyway? King is a better player than Smith.

I did see that little twitter 'situation'...
Would we sign him? Burton is coming in, and we have Steff and Robling (I see as an inside centre) coming through. Steff offers a more well-rounded game than Nipper I think.

Cruciate knee ligament injury for Rhys Webb.
Awful to hear, I hope for a quick recovery. Not everybody's favourite SH, but I hate seeing injuries like this. Get well soon lad.

So after a really disappointing season for all four regions I've started asking myself a few questions.

1. Do we really have enough talent to put out four competitive sides? The Ospreys have the quality up front to compete, but this season they have shown a complete lack of depth in the backs. The Scarlets really don't have enough quality forwards, and their backline is no longer the force that pundits make out, especially next season with the loss of North. The Blues pack is somewhere in between, but will likely struggle against the best even with Gethin and Rees there next season. The Dragons are never going to compete for anything but a mid-table finish.

I think there are enough quality Welsh players to make three competitive regions, but that would require getting the Welsh players playing abroad back to Wales. For example if Paul James, Rhys Gill, Craig Mitchell, and Eifion Lewis-Roberts played in Wales alongside Gethin Jenkins, Duncan Jones, Ryan Bevington, and Adam Jones then there's be enough quality to all three regions to have strong scrums. Then the likes of Scott Andrews, Rhodri Jones and Samson Lee could be developed gradually, coming on into a strong forward pack.

However there is zero chance of luring all those players back, the opposite is likely true with more players leaving next season. I really don't know the solution to this. There are quality youngsters coming through, but the side can't be made up wholly of youngsters and expect to be successful. Look at the Blues next season, their midfield might comprise of Patchell, Cory Allen and Owen Williams, two 20 y/o's and what a 22 y/o? All three have big potential, but they're going to be taught a lesson by quality opposition.

2. The regional coaches are complete garbage. Steve Tandy might be the exception to this, but if that's true it's only down to pure luck that the ospreys stumbled across him. Giving coaching roles to recently retired players is just stupid. Why give someone with no experience the reigns to a £3.5 million squad? It just doesn't happen in any other business, and it shouldn't here. Skimping on the coaching is almost akin to building a sport's car but skimping on the engine and grabbing one from your old fiesta that was about to head to the scrap yard.

3. So are there any solutions? More money would be a start, but like I've said before I'm not sure where the money they receive from the WRU is going now. Centrally contracting the top players would hopefully keep more from going abroad, so the regions need to accept that limited control is better than not having them at all. Personally I'd also like to see a little more control from the WRU in how the regions are managed and who is appointed as coaches at the regions. The WRU are far from perfect, but the regions are simply appalling and stuck in the amateur era imo. The Ospreys went from overspending in the pursuit of success, to emptying their entire squad, that isn't a professional way to run a business.

Ultimately, I think we've gotta accept that the regions simply aren't going to win any HC trophies any-time soon.

So after a really disappointing season for all four regions I've started asking myself a few questions.

1. Do we really have enough talent to put out four competitive sides? The Ospreys have the quality up front to compete, but this season they have shown a complete lack of depth in the backs. The Scarlets really don't have enough quality forwards, and their backline is no longer the force that pundits make out, especially next season with the loss of North. The Blues pack is somewhere in between, but will likely struggle against the best even with Gethin and Rees there next season. The Dragons are never going to compete for anything but a mid-table finish.

I think there are enough quality Welsh players to make three competitive regions, but that would require getting the Welsh players playing abroad back to Wales. For example if Paul James, Rhys Gill, Craig Mitchell, and Eifion Lewis-Roberts played in Wales alongside Gethin Jenkins, Duncan Jones, Ryan Bevington, and Adam Jones then there's be enough quality to all three regions to have strong scrums. Then the likes of Scott Andrews, Rhodri Jones and Samson Lee could be developed gradually, coming on into a strong forward pack.

However there is zero chance of luring all those players back, the opposite is likely true with more players leaving next season. I really don't know the solution to this. There are quality youngsters coming through, but the side can't be made up wholly of youngsters and expect to be successful. Look at the Blues next season, their midfield might comprise of Patchell, Cory Allen and Owen Williams, two 20 y/o's and what a 22 y/o? All three have big potential, but they're going to be taught a lesson by quality opposition.

2. The regional coaches are complete garbage. Steve Tandy might be the exception to this, but if that's true it's only down to pure luck that the ospreys stumbled across him. Giving coaching roles to recently retired players is just stupid. Why give someone with no experience the reigns to a £3.5 million squad? It just doesn't happen in any other business, and it shouldn't here. Skimping on the coaching is almost akin to building a sport's car but skimping on the engine and grabbing one from your old fiesta that was about to head to the scrap yard.

3. So are there any solutions? More money would be a start, but like I've said before I'm not sure where the money they receive from the WRU is going now. Centrally contracting the top players would hopefully keep more from going abroad, so the regions need to accept that limited control is better than not having them at all. Personally I'd also like to see a little more control from the WRU in how the regions are managed and who is appointed as coaches at the regions. The WRU are far from perfect, but the regions are simply appalling and stuck in the amateur era imo. The Ospreys went from overspending in the pursuit of success, to emptying their entire squad, that isn't a professional way to run a business.

Ultimately, I think we've gotta accept that the regions simply aren't going to win any HC trophies any-time soon.

This. None of the regions have a fraction of the depth required to compete. Also look at some of the overseas signings the Welsh teams are getting these days, and compare them to Afoa, Nacewa etc in the Irish provinces. And the Irish provinces keep 95% of their player base as well (to a large extent stuffed the best in 3 teams), whiilst Wales are keeping about 70% and it is falling rapidy. There is simply no comparison between the two.

I'm afraid that Ospreys in 2010 when Clancy robbed the win against Biarritz was the last chance of success in the Heineken Cup in the forseeable future. Now just getting to the quarter finals is probably the realistic limit of the Welsh regions capabilities. But then considering the Scarlets didn't win a single match this season in the H Cup even that seems unlikely.

The only way a Welsh side could compete in Europe is by sacrificing a team (or two) and stuffing more talent into one squad.

The only way a Welsh side could compete in Europe is by sacrificing a team (or two) and stuffing more talent into one squad.

Even if the Dragons are sacrificed though, they don't have enough talented players to suddenly make any one of the regions HC sure-things. Realistically the Dragons have a couple of players who would strengthen the Ospreys for example, those being Faletau at 8 and possibly Lewis Evans at 9 (now Fotuali'i is going).

A combined Ospreys-Scarlets side would have a realistic chance at the HC, but that would never happen in a million years, and would probably be detrimental to Welsh rugby in the long run.

If the Ospreys stay injury free then they are in with a shout, an outside one, but still a shout. A first choice ospreys line-up of: Bevington, Hibbard, Jones, Evans, Jones, Jones, Tipuric, Bearman, Habberfield, Biggar, Walker, Beck, Bishop, Dirksen, Fussell is still pretty handy, but the likelihood of that staying fit is remote. The HC really is one of the most difficult competitions in rugby to win imo, probably more so than the World Cup*, it requires a strong squad, not just a strong starting line-up and as such none of the Welsh regions have that any longer.

* Note I'm not saying that the top European sides are better than the AB's etc, but if the top HC side is theoretically comparable to NZ, there are a number of NZ sides, a whole heap-full of South Africa's and Austrailia's, a couple of England's, a couple of Scotland's, and one Japan.

Like you said though, it was the Ospreys decision not to retain some of their back three players. Kristian Phillips probably would have been a better back-up option to have than playing scrum halves on the wing. Gareth Owen would have been a better backup in the centre or at fullback than the Ospreys options atm.

The Scarlets did the same getting rid of Dan Evans, and have done little it appears to retain Fenby and Owen Williams. They're going to be in the same boat as the Ospreys of having no depth out wide next season (and little quality in their first choice either), and that's entirely their fault.

Any chance of Delve playing for one of the regions next season after the announcement of him leaving the Rebels? He'd be a great signing for all but the Dragons. He's still got a good 3-4 years left in him. Would love to see him return and get the opportunity to show what he's really capable of on the international stage.

Any chance of Delve playing for one of the regions next season after the announcement of him leaving the Rebels? He'd be a great signing for all but the Dragons. He's still got a good 3-4 years left in him. Would love to see him return and get the opportunity to show what he's really capable of on the international stage.
I can see Faletau leaving after his contract is up, but we have Ieuan Jones coming through so I hope we can keep ahold of him. Neither McCusker nor Pretorius have had much success converting to 8. Injuries have seemingly taken their toll on Rob. I tipped him for a bright future in 2010 after the NZ tour and he started the 2010/11 season decently at 8 before his injury. Delve to Blues would be ideal, moving Andries back to the blindside. Still not sure about Navidi. He puts in good effort, but I am not sure if he will be more than Pro12 level. Ellis Jenkins looks like he has a bit more bulk. Not bad for the Blues this summer. Davies captaining Wales, Jenkins U20, and Warburton the Lions.

I can see Faletau leaving after his contract is up, but we have Ieuan Jones coming through so I hope we can keep ahold of him. Neither McCusker nor Pretorius have had much success converting to 8. Injuries have seemingly taken their toll on Rob. I tipped him for a bright future in 2010 after the NZ tour and he started the 2010/11 season decently at 8 before his injury. Delve to Blues would be ideal, moving Andries back to the blindside. Still not sure about Navidi. He puts in good effort, but I am not sure if he will be more than Pro12 level. Ellis Jenkins looks like he has a bit more bulk. Not bad for the Blues this summer. Davies captaining Wales, Jenkins U20, and Warburton the Lions.

Agree with every word of that. Apart from one thing, I've never rated McCusker. He just doesn't stand out as particularly special at anything. He's not a big ball carrier at flanker like a Rocky Elsom (and for an 8 is actually a really rubbish ball carrier), nor is he a Lydiate style tackler, nor does he possess much skill at the breakdown. He doesn't possess anything special or standout in the 3 key categories to be a top back rower. Very average is how I would describe him, and I'm surprised he ever got selected in the first place and that he is getting another chance given he is now 27 and was poor when given a chance vs Argentina.

Pretorius should be ahead of him, but he is only ever going to be a stopgap and doesn't have potential to ever be a starter himself.

I don't know why Ieuan Jones didn't go to Japan, he has far more potential, and is better as well. I would have started him at 8, but now instead it looks like there will be a back row with as much balance as the Scarlets with Shingler at 7 and one of McCusker and Pretorius at 8. But the Welsh coaches seem to think the Turks are ace given their fondness of given call ups to their average players like Turnbull and McCusker, now they are even playing their unbalanced back row formation.

Agree on Navidi, he's in the era of Warburic, I doubt he will be more than Pro12 level and get too many Wales caps. Still would have been better option than Shingler at 7 for Japan though.

By the way apparently Dwayne Peel is "keen on returning" http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22637116 . Such a shame the second half of his career has been ruined so spectacularly by joining Sale just as they turned crap. Awful career move for him.

Sounds like we are not having an openside so that we can try and develop some 8s. McBryde logic...
McCusker did well against NZ in 2010, to be fair. Better than Gavin Thomas, I'd say. (Can you believe we went to NZ with McCusker, Gavin and Jonathan Thomas???)

Man, no Navidi love here? I think he's an excellent prospect. He's been great for the Blues this year, and is just 23 y/o. Why write a player like him off so soon? Currently he's the third best Welsh openside imo, with Sam Lewis and Lewis Evans not far behind, and a couple of youngsters in Ellis Jenkins and Daniel Thomas as possible future candidates.

I agree with Draggs, McCusker showed early promise, just like Turnbull. He was an athletic back-rower with a decent turn of pace. His pace seems to have degraded somewhat, possibly in his efforts to bulk up to play at 8. But I also don't see what he offers at this moment in time, he's simply not good enough, especially at 8.

Sounds like we are not having an openside so that we can try and develop some 8s. McBryde logic...

Haha, so true. He's foregone an openside to develop some 8's, but hasn't taken any 8's with him!

Seems the Blues are going to an artificial pitch source(http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22647436). Could be good as we wont get scenes like Blues v Dragons from this year where it was pretty bad, but again I'm not sold on the whole artificial pitches for rugby, Grass is better personally.

As for Delve I wouldn't mind him going to somewhere like the Turks, they need a proper 8 really where the Dragons have Falatau etc.

Wales will play a fourth AI. Against Australia. Again. (Isn't that their anthem?) One Week before the HEC. Outside the IRB Window.
Sounds thrilling.

Also, if Delve is coming to Wales, it won't be Cardiff based on what I've heard.

Wales will play a fourth AI. Against Australia. Again. (Isn't that their anthem?) One Week before the HEC. Outside the IRB Window.
Sounds thrilling.

Also, if Delve is coming to Wales, it won't be Cardiff based on what I've heard.

This sounds even more tedious than what looks to be Canada getting stuck playing the Moari every November now. Aren't their any other opponents Wales can play?

This sounds even more tedious than what looks to be Canada getting stuck playing the Moari every November now. Aren't their any other opponents Wales can play?

You would think so. I wouldn't mind playing Georgia, Romania, Canada or something like that. Playing the Rugby Championship nations + Pacific Islanders gets repetitive enough.

Sounds thrilling.

It really is ridiculous that we play Australia (half way across the world) double the amount of times we play the 6 Nations sides these days. This is the 7th match in 2 years. That's in 2 years as many times as we played them during the whole of the 1990's. Just overkill of this fixture.

And to add to that, all the likes of Lydiate, Roberts, Phillips, James, Charteris etc will all be missing. Making this fixture just that more pointless. Half the Ospreys pack ended up crocked after the last November series (Hibbard, Jarvis, AWJ, Evans added to Adam Jones already injured) which sabotaged the away fixture in Toulouse.

The WRU are clueless. It seems that their solution to get funds is just pack more internationals vs Australia or New Zealand as possible. Which is very short termist as opposed to spending some effort on domestic professional rugby in Wales which is underachieving and has more space to grow compared to international rugby which is about the limit of how big it can get.

Latest posts