• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF's Super 15 prediction game

How about awarding those players with 0 with the lowest score of the round to keep them in the game and keep it competitive? I know it is easy to miss a round and in this format you are essentially out of the race if you do.

That is a good idea... There might be some changes now on the log but it's great idea. I will recalculate the scores tonight... I have an Excel document with every round in a separate sheet so it's not very difficult to change

Hey guys! I decided to include the idea of stomer2010 in the game. When people miss out on a round, they get "bye points" which are equal to the lowest score that week.

This is the updated log.

Last edited:
Hey lads!

it's thursday already, which means we are very close yet another round or thrilling, mindblowing rugby. The Super15 has reached round 5. In the last few rounds we have seen the Sharks win 4 from 4, the Brumbies disappointing with only 1 win and last week the Rebels got 2 bonuspoints when they lost 32-34 at home.

In the prediction game we have seen some absencies but with all due respect, everyone will miss a round or 2. I really hope you guys are up for the challenge again and I saw some of you already gave their prediction mind another try. After an idea brought to mind by stormer2010 (Thanks for that, mate) I have now decided that people who forget to predict, will get "bye points" which are equal to the lowest points scored by an individual that round. That way, you guys don't fall to far behind when you forget to predict.

In this new system some participants have climbed up the log with those bye-points a bit. Also Jer1cho, who only played the first round, has gotten some points closer to the other teams on the log, making it more fun for him and maybe giving just that nodge in the good direction he needs to start predicting again.

In round 5 we have a good old 7 matches to predict. The Sharks travel to Hamilton to face the Chiefs after their double-win in Australia. The Reds come back from the bye in round 4 to face the Rebels while the Highlanders return from South Africa to invite the Crusaders over for dinner in Dunedin.

Way up north, the Blues will face the Hurricanes in Auckland where both teams are trying to catch up to the teams playing South. The second South African team to travel through the timezones this round are the Cheetahs who go to Sydney to try and snatch a win against the Tahs who will be well rested after recovering from their beat-down in Nelson with a bye. The Lions host the Western Force who are without Pocock and Sidey while the round concludes with a re-match of last year's final between the Bulls and the Stormers. Last year it was played in Soweto due to FIFA regulations which stated every stadium used in the World Cup should be handed over to the FIFA. This time though, the Bulls will be back in Pretoria.

Some questions for you guys to think about while predicting the matches of round 5:

- Will the Sharks be able to snatch a 4-try bonus point away from home for the 3rd consectutive time?
- Did you know that the Stormers claim the second place on the log with only 1 try scored this season?
- Will the Highlanders and the Crusaders score more points individually this time thant they did together in 2009 (6-0 for the Highlanders)?
- Will the Lions finally beat the Western Force for the first time at home?
- Did you know, the last 2 times the Blues and Hurricanes played each other in Auckland, the team with the most tries, ended up losing anyway?

Well, enjoy predicting and here is the schedule for this weekend:

***Please be sure the predictions are in before kick-off***

@ stormer2010 and 187:

You guys have disabled the setting to receive Personal Messages so I will post my weekly update and reminder in this topic for you guys

Well lads,

That was some round this week. Man o man! The Stormers scored only their second try this season to claim the top of the log after the Sharks lost an all penalty match against the Chiefs in Hamilton. Patrick Lambie was flawless with the boot but only got 3 chances. Nanai-Williams and Mike Delaney scored the points for the Chiefs off the kicking tee. It was a wet encounter which resulted in a lot of knock-ons.

The Rebels traveled to Brisbane to face the Reds and came home red in the face with a 53-3 smackdown. 4 weeks ago they snatched 4 tries against the Sharks but this week only 1 penalty by Cipriani was something to celebrate for the new franchise from Melbourne. With 7 tries in all for the Koala's, they surpassed the score the Crusaders got against the Brumbies last week (52). Big man on the Reds-side was Quade Cooper who's running game was exceptional once again next to his kicking which gave him 16 points. Best chance for the Rebels to a try was for prop Greg Sommerville who lost the ball with the try-line in sight.

Across the tasman there were 2 all-Kiwi matches. The Crusaders traveled to Dunedin to face the surprisingly well performing Highlanders who seem to have lost their mojo, losing for the second time in a row. The side from Christchurch was toying with the Otago franchise and Robbie Fruean scored yet another try. Israel Dagg added 2 and even Kieran Read was one of the lucky ones to pass the try-line. Kicking-wise, this was a match to quickly forget for both fly-halfs. Daniel Carter missed a pretty easy penalty in the first minutes and only got 2 conversions over. Tony Brown, the veteran, also missed an early chance to get a head start with a penalty and was wobbly from the tee. The Crusaders managed to score 6 tries all together and will travel to London knowing it might end up in a try feast overthere when they face the Sharks.

The other all-kiwi match was at the complete opposite of New Zealand. In the North, the Auckland Blues hosted the Hurricanes. With an astonishing 41-17 win over the Wellington team they showed the crowd they are a serious contender for the Conference ***le this year. 5 tries in all for the team lead by Mealamu was enough to satisfy the fans. With Andrew Hore missing 10 minutes with a yellow, the Wellington side never really had a chance against a very hungry Blues-side. McAllister and Munro converted all 5 tries. The Hurricanes lost their second match (after their defeat in the season-opener against the Highlanders) and are getting behind, having the worst point-difference in the NZ Conference

The biggest upset however, was seen in Sydney, where the Cheetahs completely surprised the world by beating the Tahs 3-23 with 2 tries to the Free State team. This was the biggest upset so far this season together with the 8-try match in Pretoria 2 weeks ago when the Highlanders beat the Bulls. The Cheetahs climb up the log ladder, leaving the inaugural Rebels with the wooden spoon. The historic win is one of the milestones in the short history of the Cheetahs and will be relived a couple of times these next few days. At half-time, nothing serious was there to worry about for the Tahs with only a 3-6 lead for the Orange team. In the second half however, the Cheetahs grabbed the chances they got with the numerous handling errors of the Tahs. Philip Snyman scored a breakaway try with only 20 minutes to go to give the Cheetahs a well-deserved lead. His run gave the Cheetahs a spark of magic. In the dying minutes, Griquas full-back Sarel Pretorius scored the second try of the match to seal the first ever win for the Cheetahs overseas.

The last 2 matches were played in Gauteng, South Africa. The Lions from Johannesburg were not able to score a try against the Western Force, losing 15-27 after which the 2 finalists from last year started off their match 100 km north. The Lions look like a completely different team this year. With new players like Lionel Mapoe, Rory Kockott, Michael Rhodes, Pat Cilliers and Bandise Maku and the revival of Waylon Murray, the talent of Elton Jantjies and Jaco Taute, they seem to have gotten rid of their bad history ni which they lost 16 Super Rugby matches in a row going on from 2009 till last week when they beat the Cheetahs. Against the Force however, they failed to cross the try-line and only got points from Jantjies' boot who's kicking seems to improve every week. Nick Cummins scored his second try in 2 weeks after already doing it against the Blues in round 4. Alfie Mafi scored the Force's second try to seal the deal and take 4 points back home.

Last years final was played in Soweto due to the FIFA World Cup which claimed Loftus Versfeld. This time the Stormers actually had to travel up north from O.R. Tambo Airport to face the Blue Brigade of Victor Matfield, Fourie du Preez and the Currie Cup record-holding try scorer, Bjorn Basson. That last one scored the first try after Habana failed to touch down for a 22 kick. In the 35 minutes before that, Peter Grant had already secured a 3-12 lead with his boot. When in the second half, Habana beat Basson to score a try, things were even between the 2 wingers. Stormers winning 13-23.

In the prediction league this week we had surprisingly a lot of people guessing 17 points and 1 try for the Hurricanes. I, unfortunately, was not one of them. Olyy snatches the place on the top of the log, gaining 21 points and surpassing Ezequiel (which is me, dammit). With 19 and 18 points, the 2 South Africans stormer2010 and BadGena also did very well but the best performance this week was for the Crusaders-fan residing in Canada, Shaggy. He scored an amazing total of 24 points this round! Congratulations Shaggy!!! He predicted 6 out of 7 matches right, had 3 try-scores and 3 point-scores correct. Amazing job!

The lowest score of this round was for Gavin who predicted 5 winners but no try- or points correct. The people who did not participate get 5 bye-points for this round of which Tank94 is the highest ranked member to miss out this week.

Green = Log Leader
Red = Wooden Spoon
Blue = Best achievement this round

The Log:

Last edited:
Great round analysis, Ezequiel :D ... My performance was a freak anomaly ... normal business should resume next week :)

There is only 11 points between the nr. 1 and nr. 6 so everything is possible with still 11 rounds to go!!!

I am pretty awful at predicting the tries per team. Disappointed

It's a nice system where only predicting the winner is not good enough, unfortunately for Gavin this round. But keep your head up! You will get some tries right eventually

Thanks for your all your effort, Ezequiel! Crazy round. Vryyyyystaaaaaaaaaaat!!

Good to see you guys enjoy this game. Keeps me motivated to go on!

Gents,

I have a sad announcement but for me the happiest... I am on my way from Hoek van Holland to Harwich and I am visiting Crusaders-Sharks tomorrow. Therefore the results for the Super 15 Prediction game won't be up until monday night (GMT +1)

Gents,

I have a sad announcement but for me the happiest... I am on my way from Hoek van Holland to Harwich and I am visiting Crusaders-Sharks tomorrow. Therefore the results for the Super 15 Prediction game won't be up until monday night (GMT +1)

Even though your team didn't get the result it was a game worth seeing live!

Hey lads,

Here we go for the update and first of all I would like to apologise for the delay. I only got back home several hours ago after visiting Crusaders-Sharks in London. This round was absolutely amazing! Besides TNT88, everybody got 14 points or more. Very high level this week.

The Super XV weekend started off in Melbourne where the Rebels invited the Hurricanes over for a cup of coffee. With 5 tries to the season debutant and a pretty decent boot of Danny Cipriani, they landed a 42-25 win over the Wellington side with Blake, Campbell, Vuna and Phipps crossing the try-line. For the Canes there were tries by Eaton, Vito, Kirkpatrick and Coles.

The next day the second match of the weekend was played elsewhere in the land. The Cheetahs, who surprised the world by beating the Tahs last week, took on the Reds in Brisbane. This time there was no chance to cause another upset. Ioane, Davies, Saia Faingaa and scrum-half Will Genia scored a total of 6 tries for the Koala's while Wilhelm Steenkamp was the only try-scorer for the side who were playing with him as their 5th captain in 6 rounds after Adriaan Strauss, Juan Smith, Naas Olivier and Andries Strauss.

Last week the Chiefs managed to beat the Sharks without scoring a try, this time they hosted the Blues and they lost despite scoring more tries. Liam Messam and Sona Taumalolo scored the 5-pointers but seeing they lost the match by 3 points, the 2 missed conversions seem to be more costly than was expected during the game. Jared Payne scored the only try for the Auckland franchise but with a conversion and 3 penalties by Luke McAlister they snatched a 13-16 win in Waikato Stadium.

The Brumbies and Waratahs showed why the new format will be such a success. In Canberra both teams were fighting to the death to get the 4 points and for quite a while it seemed like we were heading to another 22-22 draw this season (After the Force-Blues draw earlier this month) but Sitaleki Timani robbed the Capital side from the points and left them with only a losing bonus point with a last minute try. Kurtley Beale converted to make it 22-29. Earlier in the match Ryan Cross scored the other Tahs try and Ben Alexander crossed the line for the Brumbies. The boot of both Kurtley Beale and Matt Giteau proved to be in good shape with 5 succesful penalties each.

Saturday night has been the most amazing evening so far this season in the Super XV and this weekend showed again that it's worth the wait for the final matches. The Stormers played the Western Force at Newlands. The Cape Town-side went into the match as log leaders with only 2(!) tries scored this season. The Western Force were a side that had some bad luck so far with an early red card against the Sharks, losing David Pocock with an injury and only getting a draw at home against the Blues. Their win over the Lions last week was the push they were waiting for. Once in Cape Town, they were pushed deep into their own 22 for almost the entire match. For the second time this season there were 4 tries addressed to 1 name in a match after Sean Maitland (Crusaders). This time it was Fourie. Too bad it was 2 players. hooker Deon Fourie scored 2 and center Jaque Fourie scored 2. With tries to captain Jean de Villiers and tallest Springbok ever Andries Bekker, they ended up passing the 50-point barrier and beat the Force 51-16. James O'Connor scored all the points for the side from Perth, including a converted try.

When a team only has to travel 100 km for a Super 15 match, it can really be considered a derby. The Transvaal-derby has been one with a lot of history. Nowadays they are called the Bulls and Lions but back in the day this was Northern Transvaal vs. Transvaal. The Lions have been unlucky this season so far but got a bonus point against the Stormers and Bulls for staying within 7 points earlier. This time was no different. Only difference was that this time they did not score more tries than the Bulls, who beat the Lions in round 1 20-24 without scoring more tries. Dewald Potgieter, Gary Botha and Bjorn Basson were the Bulls to get the ball down for 5 points while Deon van Rensburg and the experienced Franco van der Merwe got the points for the Lions. Both tries were converted by Andre Pretorius while Elton Jantjies scored 3 penalties. The Bulls relied on the boot of Morne Steyn and there were no disappointments with 3 conversions and 3 penalties: 30-23

And now for the grand finale. For the first time ever, Europe got to host a Super Rugby-match. The Crusaders and Sharks played at Twickenham this sunday. I can say it was 1 day I will never forget. It started off with singing in the stands, a minute silence, singing both national anthems out loud and then the match started. I can go on and on about the match but it comes down to this: Crusaders scored 5 tries, Sharks 4, Jacques-Louis Potgieter missed 3 conversions and a penalty which costs the Sharks a bonus point. Luckily they scored 4 tries so they got a point for that. Alberts, Potgieter, Hargreaves and Ndungane touched down for the Natal side while Maitland (twice), Carter, Guildford and Israel Dagg did that for the Canterbury side. 9 tries in all and an amazing performance from both teams. This was truly awesome advertisement for rugby.

The Prediction League was brilliant this weekend. 12 participants this week of which 11 scored at least 14 points. One certain Ezequiel was the only one to guess all 7 winners right! Unfortunately for him he was short 1 point on guess with the score of 4 teams (Hurricanes, Western Force, Bulls and Lions) and he ended up with 16 points. Meanwhile the log-leader Olyy expanded his lead by getting 20 points, despite his promise to fall back because in his opinion it's all luck. Now he is the first one to pass the 100-point barrier.

I don't know what is going on in Canada but that freaky Shaggy has done it again! After getting the high score last week with 24 points, he got the high score now again with 23. This week he has to share that ***le with stormer2010 who hopes to keep this form up. Ironically both teams are tied on the log as well with 96 points! Amabokoboko (formerly known as bates) predicted the try score of 4 teams correctly but missed out on winner-predictions with only 3 right. Draggs, the Welsh Sharks fan even had 6 try scores right to snatch a total of 22 points and get to the same total as BadGena.

Jimz0051, 187, Tank94 and Intercept King JDV did not participate this round and get 8 bye points. Meanwhile Jer1cho announced he doesn't have time to play along anymore and asked me to remove him from the log. Log leader Olyy still has his spot on the top but he blocked his mirrors with tape because seeing Shaggy and stormer2010 coming so close, just scares him. I fall back to spot 4 with 2 points behind the earlier mentioned 2 and 7 behind Olyy. Gavin climbs 3 spots to get to nr. 11 while is only 2 points away from 4th place. Draggs and BadGena are tied at 87 points.

Green = Log Leader
Red = Wooden Spoon
Blue = Best achievement this round

The Log:

Good to see some people having better rounds this time. I love the commitment of you guys. It's surprising to see so many high scores in 1 week.

A high scoring round indeed. Congrats, Ezequiel for the 7/7 winner predictions! That's impressive. The Brumbies let me down in that one.

Latest posts