• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

This is about 2 months old. And still ongoing. Issue is with IRFU and POM wanting central contract. This is whats holding up captaincy announcement also
Fair, tough call too to give a player of his age profile a cc, doesn't really make sense too.

I think he'd be a bad call for captain to be honest, there's 6-7 players who are pretty much certain to be starters at the next World Cup with a few captain options among them, let Sheehan, Ringrose or (best option) Ryan take on the role and learn. I think the co-captain call at Leinster was to take pressure off Ryan in the case he's Ireland captain.

Fair, tough call too to give a player of his age profile a cc, doesn't really make sense too.

I think he'd be a bad call for captain to be honest, there's 6-7 players who are pretty much certain to be starters at the next World Cup with a few captain options among them, let Sheehan, Ringrose or (best option) Ryan take on the role and learn. I think the co-captain call at Leinster was to take pressure off Ryan in the case he's Ireland captain.
Rumours are Farrell wants him as captain and a CC of €400k for 1 year is on offer but he wants 2 years at approx €325k.
From what I heard Ryan is not in the few names to be permanent Irish captain the last I heard Ringrose, Beirne and Doris were others. Not sure how true it is but fact Sheehan isn't on CC means he won't get role.
Also think IRFU are rethinking strategy due to points raised from Ulster on unfairness of CC in contracts and recently after Synman signing they had a gripe about comparing it to Pienaar refusal to be extended.

Think a messy few months are ahead

Rumours are Farrell wants him as captain and a CC of €400k for 1 year is on offer but he wants 2 years at approx €325k.
From what I heard Ryan is not in the few names to be permanent Irish captain the last I heard Ringrose, Beirne and Doris were others. Not sure how true it is but fact Sheehan isn't on CC means he won't get role.
Also think IRFU are rethinking strategy due to points raised from Ulster on unfairness of CC in contracts and recently after Synman signing they had a gripe about comparing it to Pienaar refusal to be extended.

Think a messy few months are ahead
Ryan was captain in the warm up games ahead of POM when they both started. Not a chance he's not being considered. I'd be very surprised if he's not announced as captain next month to be honest.

Doubt strategy will change much either as it's brought Ireland unprecedented success and Ulster are afforded far more flexibility with NIQ signings than the other provinces particularly Leinster who haven't had a notable one since Fardy.

Ryan was captain in the warm up games ahead of POM when they both started. Not a chance he's not being considered. I'd be very surprised if he's not announced as captain next month to be honest.

Doubt strategy will change much either as it's brought Ireland unprecedented success and Ulster are afforded far more flexibility with NIQ signings than the other provinces particularly Leinster who haven't had a notable one since Fardy.
It is just the word that is circling. I know Ryan was effectively vice captain but not sure on what is in Farrells head in line of thinking. I'd also think James Ryan more guaranteed his spot than POM given age and competition in backrow.

On Ulster bit. I do believe they get outside help but argument they have is Leinster get more free budget due to central contracts and it is an unfair system. Not my views but having watched repeat of last night and other broadcasts over last few weeks you've had Donnacha O'Callaghan, Tommy Bowe, Paddy Wallace, Darren Cave, Bernard Jackman and a few more give out. I think this is shining a light on it and pushing IRFU to make changes.
The rumour I heard last night is contracts will get linked to caps like if POM is on 300k he'd need a certain amount of performances for IRFU to pick up part of tab.
This would hurt Leinster the most though if lads dipped in form. It is messy.
On signing I think most in Munster wish RG well. He has had a rough few years and when fit we all agree is an awesome player. I do wonder is most of the issues based on Leinsyer have a Tighthead prop supposedly signed too and these are all short term and that Nienaber and all these guys are gone in 18-30months and Leinster left hit a bit

What do these coaches see in Ewels that the rest of us don't? There has to be something. I could accept that EJ was just going mad but I actually respect Sanderson's opinion.

What do these coaches see in Ewels that the rest of us don't? There has to be something. I could accept that EJ was just going mad but I actually respect Sanderson's opinion.
I think there's plenty in there at club level, and from all accounts, on the personal level (something that coaches all seem to put a hell of a lot more stock in that fans).
Decent enough Prem level starter, worth a look internationally when options were limited (and Jonny Hill was playing himself right out of the side), but never took that step up. Too many caps before giving up on him, but he was worth 10-12 or so to see if he would.

I doubt that Bath would give him up without a fight though - rightly first choice starter for us (alongside Stooke).

Mind, his form fell off when he was getting capped (along with the rest of Bath), but he is back in form again now.

I was almost starting to like Leicester, so would be a good signing to get them back on my **** list

Apparently Saracens have signed Brantingham from us for Next season...to be confirmed...

Latest posts