• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Sanderson shopping around for a backrower and a tighthead,

Backrow makes sense with Curry out for the season, Ellis out until way after Christmas, and JLdP still another 4weeks or so away
Tighthead I'm not sure if it's just because our scrum is poor, we haven't replaced Oosthuizen or my biggest concern is: is Schonert injured? Guess we'll see about the latter when the team's announced tomorrow, but it was odd of him to drop out of the 23 and a 20yr old loosehead cover tighthead from the bench last week.

At this stage in the season I doubt we'll find anyone particularly notable for either position - I'd have liked Cam Neild back as backrow cover but noticed he signed on for Glasgow for the rest of the season. No idea about tighthead - pretty much the most in demand position going, maybe shop around the Championship, or Currie Cup?

At least Harper getting a decent bit of game time is an upside.

I'm not sure who Jersey Reds had at tighthead, but could be an available option there?

I'm not sure who Jersey Reds had at tighthead, but could be an available option there?
That was my first thought as well - I'm a little surprised we didn't sign James Mitchell on a short term deal, from them, as 9 cover after Raffi's injury. He's still out for a little while yet and Nye doesn't look trusted at prem level yet as Gus is playing the 80 every week. Solid cover and academy credit too

Yeah, sounds all but announced now
Apparently lack of clarity on RFU central contracts played a part in the decision

It calmed down for a while but we're definitely getting back to the era of French clubs paying absolutely silly money for players

Like Arundell is on £200k at Racing - that's just mental for a kid who was still in the academy/signing his first senior contract

Lewis Ludlam to Toulon next season.
Gutted. Love Ludlum as a Northampton academy player and captain. It's a massive loss potentially with Lawes maybe set to retire as well. Space for another big name either at lock (and keep Cole's at 6) or at 6 or 8 and keep Cole's as lock.

Gutted. Love Ludlum as a Northampton academy player and captain. It's a massive loss potentially with Lawes maybe set to retire as well. Space for another big name either at lock (and keep Cole's at 6) or at 6 or 8 and keep Cole's as lock.

Big loss for Saints.

Less so for England where it would need a bad run of injuries for him to get a starting shirt now (although we're quite good at those….). No guarantees he'd have got a central contract.

Can't blame him. Money talks, always has, always will.

Maybe he'll have an enjoyable couple of years banking the cash and enjoying the sun before coming back a better player to challenge for the 27 RWC.

RG Snyman to Bath for 450k is a rumour

Insane price for a player that has a terrible injury record of late
Just the sort of player we need - if fit - and good enough to excuse being yet another Saffer

What's he on? 10 matches in 3 seasons at club level?

JvG sure likes his favourites.

Farrel to stay with sarries
Jasper Wiese to stay with Tigers
Cobus Wiese being chased by Bulls
Chawatama being courted by Bristol

Will be interesting to see if Arundell is announced as the first dual contract player

Swap out Coka for Arundell, and Roux & Van Veltze for Snyman, should work out more-or-less £-neutral (possibly even a saving if HA is a hybrid contract), and I'd be delighted with that.

JvG has shown me that he's actually taking player welfare seriously, and rotating playing time (and actual holiday time away from the game) appropriately, which lets me believe that we could even see RGS for more than 5-6 matches a year!

JVG has shown me that he's actually taking player welfare seriously, and rotating playing time (and actual holiday time away from the game) appropriately, which lets me believe that we could even see RGS for more than 5-6 matches a year!
Snyman was really well looked after here, he was eased back, rehabbed heavily, but unfortunately he's just made of glass!!

I wouldn't really count on him having any long runs of games.

That said he's a baller when fit.

Yeah Munster never strike me as rushing him back in (Mainly because they didn't really need to, they had good cover I felt).

Do you really think Roux and Van Veltze would be on a combined total of 450K+, seems like someone or both would be massively overpaid if the case. But the cap's going up so doesn't even matter.

Coka for Arundell prob works out very like for like and def an upgrade both in ability and cover.

Do you really think Roux and Van Veltze would be on a combined total of 450K+, seems like someone or both would be massively overpaid if the case. But the cap's going up so doesn't even matter.
I'd thought I'd seen £400k rather than £450+, but that may be my memory (or my eyes).
£200-250k doesn't seem unreasonable for an international lock (Roux), but yeah, £150-200k is probably a bit generous for GJvV; but I wouldn't say it was far off (the £400k I had in my head) between them.
Or have I still got pre-covid wages in my head as comparisons?

Latest posts