• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

SRU, not content with just targeting kids and Saffers, are now actively targeting already capped players - they're trying to lure Alex Coles north of the wall with promises of Scotland caps, despite being capped by England
Honestly i don't mind this, if he beieves he isnt getting in with England then go for it its a risk as he may not get in Scotland either.

Its the race to the bottom that gets me, where a young player is captured even though they are not ready(or yet good enough) to be an international player.

Eyeroll …

If Coles is half sensible, he'll look at the relative lack of locks coming through and stick with England.

Coles is good but he isn't an international 4 or 5 yet. I think he's be foolish to leave the mighty saints for Scotland where in reality he still isn't a starting 4 or 5 yet.

Quick chat with his clubmate should put that temptation to bed. Though I believe the money is still incredible for a failed NFL project, compared to being even a star in rugby.

Unless it was something he really wanted to do (and considering he didn't grow up playing League I doubt it's a lifelong dream) I can't see - he wouldn't make half as much money in League, even though NRL salaries are much higher than Super League

Most likely explanation is we're getting to the point in the season where clubs are making signings for next year and his agent is keeping his name in the press/trying to bump up deals

Unless it was something he really wanted to do (and considering he didn't grow up playing League I doubt it's a lifelong dream) I can't see - he wouldn't make half as much money in League, even though NRL salaries are much higher than Super League

Most likely explanation is we're getting to the point in the season where clubs are making signings for next year and his agent is keeping his name in the press/trying to bump up deals
That or a passing comment in an interview but i agree, would not be surprised if he had another season in france and came back 2 years put from the WC.

Hame Faiva; Hurricanes => Bath
29 year old capped hooker - now we know where Piers Francis' salary is being re-spent. Shame for Stewart and Spandler, but definitely an upgrade in an area we were short of numbers.
Still a bit short at lock though, but I guess some of the backrows can cover if necessary.

If England lose Itoje because Sarries want Farrell as the marquee :(
Honestly since that SA game with Martin Itoje looks back to his best.

I guess question is how much will the new Central contracts be worth too players. I don't mind the idea of sabbaticals to Japan

I guess question is how much will the new Central contracts be worth too players. I don't mind the idea of sabbaticals to Japan
From an England point of view i dont want to lose itoje but honestly now might be the time for him to go to France(if he has that desire), experience something different as he's been a 1 club man. So what ever he decides i get it as its not like he hasnt given alot for England.

Yeah I wouldn't be totally against Itoje going away for a couple of years. Would give us the chance to really develop the likes of Chessum, Martin, Isiekwe, etc.

Regan Grace training in/with Bath

Thought to be rehabbing locally, rather than a first look, but... It's gotta be a first look too

That's very interesting, he was phenomenal in league - don't think he ever made his Racing debut before his contract expired due to a serious...achilles? injury he got in his final league game

TBH that's a stupidly high proportion of the cap to spend on any player who you know you'll have to cover for a chunk of the season anyway. Plus I hate the whole marquee player bit - you either have a cap or you don't.

I don't mind which way that goes. He's found a bit of form recently but before that looked like a man who needed a change of scene.

Whether club salary + central contract + Eng appearance fees + commercial value as a current Eng player would outweigh what he could get elsewhere who knows. But we have some decent locks coming through at last and if you're off the scene, no matter how good you once were, things can move on very quickly.

Latest posts