• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

the STORMERS thread

I forgot about Jebb Sinclair. What other young guys in place of Deon Fourie?- Armand is already there, Kolisi as well and has become pretty much a key player, Carr is injured and Fenton-Wells has taken up a contract with Saracens. Kitshoff (Rohan) is off to Europe as well. So unless these guys going to Europe (if they aren't already there) are available I don't see an option other than drafting in another loose forward from somewhere or playing either of Fourie or one of the locks out of position.

Don Armand at 7 is what I mean, worst case scenario teh other Kitchoff brother (not ware of him departing), but he is a 6 and Skolisi would have to change
There is also talk of Etsebeth - now that Andries is back.
They should try young Adendorf or the young lock/flank from the Sharks id we have more inhuries

Don Armand at 7 is what I mean, worst case scenario teh other Kitchoff brother (not ware of him departing), but he is a 6 and Skolisi would have to change
There is also talk of Etsebeth - now that Andries is back.
They should try young Adendorf or the young lock/flank from the Sharks id we have more inhuries

I had forgotten about Sinclair.

Maybe
6 Kolisi
7 Armand
8 Sinclair

19 Etzebeth

I'd say Etzebeth should get some well deserved rest (even if just on the bench as loose forward/lock cover) to be ready for the last 2 games and play-offs after a long season. Lock then Bekker, Roux and Steenkamp. I'd be sad if Roux didn't get some chances after his season in the Vodacom cup. Lobberts will probably be on the bench if Roux is unavaiable.... we seriously have to reevaluate our gameplan, conditioning or insist on larger squads for next year as we've ended up depleted at the business the last few years. That and we have to keep hold of our quality youngsters to shore up our depth as I'm sure WPRU has deep enough pockets to do so.

Rohan Kitshoff is off to Bordeaux. I am not aware of a brother?

Do you think either of S Adendorf or PS du Toit would play for us; I imagine they are already signed to the Bulls and Sharks respectively.

Okay WTF is going on with the bloody Irishmen stealing all our young prospects???

Just read that Quinn Roux is going to Leinster after the Super 15...

And that ****** me of almost as much as CJ Stander.
Few know that Quin Roux was regarded as a better player than Etsebeth at the start of the season, only cause of a pre season injury did Etsebeth get a starting spot, how he is leaving as well in one can trust the newspaper
Who would ever thought that WP is the new lock factory in SA?

Looks like Sinclair is going to get some rest this weekend guys, he's going to be on the bench at #19. He had a lot of work to do in the Italy/Georgia games the last two weeks and his travel to SA from Vancouver apparently took 36 hours. He looked a lot better vs. Georgia after having a rough night against Italy. That being said Canada also plays him at #4 because we are desperate for 2nd rowers at the moment while the Stormers use him at a much better fit at #8 or on the flanks.

Maybe bad timing but what type of lock is Roux? Mire Thorn or Matfield?

More a 4 with great hands, heard subsequently it is just a one year contract. This is fair, he is number 5 in the pecking order at present and if comes back a better player as Juandre Kruger did, then I wish him well

TL_947051.jpg

Under Joe Schmidt he'll definitely improve any way. He's not really what we need anyway we've got three locks in or around the same age and obviosly most of us would rather develop Irish players rather than a South African whether or not he may be more talented.

More a 4 with great hands, heard subsequently it is just a one year contract. This is fair, he is number 5 in the pecking order at present and if comes back a better player as Juandre Kruger did, then I wish him well[/URL]

So he can move to Durban to form a lock pairing with the amazing Bresler.

Janie Poolman from the Stormers has signed for Connacht

Is he any good ?

Danie Poolman, decent, but behind Aplon, Habana, and now van den Heever.
Big lad, just under 6'3".
Three year contract, eh...

O/T, but Loxton not made a big impression?

Welcome, by the way!

Danie Poolman, decent, but behind Aplon, Habana, and now van den Heever.
Big lad, just under 6'3".
Three year contract, eh...

O/T, but Loxton not made a big impression?

Welcome, by the way!
Loxton broke his leg last year so had little opportunity to break through

Will find it hard next year because we've plenty of wingers and academy guys coming through

Poolman will probably be brought in as a centre, we're pretty short there

Happy with our signings, still on the lookout for a prop though

One of those chaps that do have potential but in a team where the 2 or 3 players above you are Springboks and not leaving the province/union soon
See it is a permanent move, he is not coming back and want to play for Ireland one day

Loxton broke his leg last year so had little opportunity to break through

Will find it hard next year because we've plenty of wingers and academy guys coming through

Poolman will probably be brought in as a centre, we're pretty short there

Happy with our signings, still on the lookout for a prop though

One more, how about Jarvis?
He seemed to be a decent outside half that can do the basics, but didn't really light up, and could make stupid errors.

Ireland have no bulk in midfield, so this could be a long-term option, as Gena says.

One more, how about Jarvis?
He seemed to be a decent outside half that can do the basics, but didn't really light up, and could make stupid errors.

Ireland have no bulk in midfield, so this could be a long-term option, as Gena says.

Mixed bag from Jarvis, his kicking is ropey, from open play he can really get our backs moving

Will start next season as 3rd choice, hopefully he can push Parks and Nikora. If his kicking improves I see no reason why not

Stumbled upon this atricle on supersport.com and thought it is up for discussion here as well

"What can be said about the quality of rugby produced in a conference when it’s comfortably led by a team that has gone through 14 matches without scoring a single four-try bonus-point?That, unfortunately, will be the synopsis of South Africa’s participation in the 2012 edition of Super Rugby after the Stormers pretty much sealed our conference on Saturday when they limped to yet another unimposing win, this time at home to a self-destructing Lions outfit.
And it could be worse, what will it say about the tournament as a whole if that same flair-less team turns out to be its overall leader at the end of league play?
That, too, is a real possibility, because the Stormers have only the out-of-the-running Cheetahs and Rebels left to tick on their pre-playoff to-do list, while the Chiefs -- the only other realistic contenders for the top-of-the-log spot -- have both the Crusaders and the Hurricanes waiting for them in the next fortnight.
The answer to those questions, of course, is nothing. It’s not an indictment on either the conference or the tournament if its dullest team ends up being its torch-bearer; it is just sad proof that the game itself has degenerated into an adventure-less, defence-dominated bore-fest.
And it’s hardly news. We’ve been bemoaning the state of the game â€" even in one of its most exciting tournaments - since kick-off way back in February. And it’s no surprise that nothing has been done since to rectify it.
So what are we to do now? Shall we just hand the Stormers the trophy now and hope that by next year this time something will have happened in the world of rugby so that it is no longer necessary to out-bore them in search of glory?
The answer, at least historically, is a resounding no. It may be true that Super Rugby could end its league phase being led by a team that struggles to score, but the ***le has never been won by one.
All five champion teams had a devastating game with ball-in-hand when they won their respective ***les, and quite often it was required of them to call on it en route to or in the playoffs themselves.
Take the Bulls, for example. They won their first ***le in 2007 with a miracle try well after the hooter against as resolute a Sharks defence as you could ever hope for. They were able to believe in their own scoring abilities in those last couple of minutes because two weeks beforehand they ran in 13 tries against the Reds just to qualify for a home semifinal.
And then we have last year’s champions, the Reds. They had their backs against the wall in the final after an opportunistic Dan Carter try, but Will Genia, Quade Cooper and Digby Ioane were able to create two great tries out of nothing to win despite their flyhalf’s wayward boot. They never panicked, because they knew how to put their stars away for points, they had been doing it all season.
And that brings us back to the Stormers. What will they have to fall back on if they once again find themselves having to play catch-up in a knockout match? So far this season they have scored a measly 25 tries. That is 20 less than their closest conference rivals the Bulls, and only one more than the lowest-ranked Lions. With a backline as talented as any other in the competition, that is simply unacceptable.
Their ultra-conservative approach has gotten them into the playoffs, but it’s done so before, and that alone should no longer be good enough for them. It’s time for them to step out of their comfort zone.
History (both their own and that of previous champions) shows that you can’t go into knockout matches with a limited arsenal. Let’s hope that in these next two weeks the Stormers will stop trying to tackle themselves to wins and start focusing on getting their potentially awesome attack into the game.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Play like the [/FONT]lekker ding[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] you claim you are. It is something you owe yourselves and your fans, and it’s the only way you’ll get the momentum you need going into the playoffs. It will also make the rest of the rugby world a tad less depressed about the state of our game if it is not just plain cynicism that has won the day."[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We big mouthed Stormers supporters once lamented the Bulls (10 man) and Waratahs (just cause they are plain dull) for paying boring rugby. Now this lies with us.
We might end Tournament leaders without one decent display of running rugby.
Where is it going wrong, why can't we produce tries with the personnel on-board

Share your views
[/FONT]

Latest posts