• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Official Sonny Bill Williams Thread

But the All Blacks should be stronger too next year without that 6'7" chink in their armour

I'm sure you couldn't do a worse job. Your welcome to it for my part. Unfortunately I have 0 say in the matter.
We could coach them together Stormer, I'm sure we could both say enough outlandish things to keep the press happy, and I'm sure you can grow a fantastic mustache. No doubt we both know more about rugby than he does.

Geez Ive just found out that Sonnys boxing fight on June 5th, all the proceeds, every cent goes to the Christchurch quake relief fund. Further more Sonny is donating $100,000 of his own money. Thats just fantastic for the people of Christchurch, they got more than just a Crusader when they signed Sonny. Right now Im more than convinced that the 'Saders need Sonny more than he needs them.

Still not a big fan of his boxing but come June 5th, I'll be rooting for SBW.

hopefully he will be a nice lad and decide to rest this weekend when facing the Chiefs :)

How is his knee injury recovering?
hopefully he will be a nice lad and decide to rest this weekend when facing the Chiefs :)

Hmm...his upcoming fight could be the real reason why hes not playing and the knee injury an excuse to rest him up and isolate himself from any chances of injuries he might receive from playing rugby. Im just speculating here though, no facts its just that 2 weeks out he should be a 100% and in the ring sparring which Im sure he is.

So he may not take the field this week. His clash with the Chiefs midfielders would've been a goodie though but if hes not playing and its because of his boxing then good on him I say, because its for a really good cause.

He went up against Umaga in the last fixture didn't he?

Yeah in the ITM cup last year, I thought they both played well in that game but I can remember Sonny having a slightly better game than his buddy Tana.

Yeah in the ITM cup last year, I thought they both played well in that game but I can remember Sonny having a slightly better game than his buddy Tana.

YES! I remember now. I'm pretty sure SBW scored a try where Umaga also had difficulty stopping him on the way to the line. Umaga did well for his age to defend against SBW but if i remember correctly, that's all Umaga was able to do in that match up.

YES! I remember now. I'm pretty sure SBW scored a try where Umaga also had difficulty stopping him on the way to the line. Umaga did well for his age to defend against SBW but if i remember correctly, that's all Umaga was able to do in that match up.

Yep thats the one. LOL thats the only thing I remember too from Umaga but Im sure Tana did something??...:)

NZ latest â€" SBW likely to stay in union

23 May 2011
Keo.co.za brings you news from New Zealand’s Super Rugby franchises.
SBW likely to stay in union - Sonny Bill Williams appears close to extending his stay in rugby union if the contract negotiations offer him flexibility.
Williams is a keen boxer and insists any contract extension must accommodate this passion. He would probably also like an opportunity to compete in rugby league, from where he joined French Top 14 side Toulon in late 2008.
Williams’ manager Khoder Nasser was quoted in the Sunday Star-Times newspaper saying: ‘Sonny will remain in New Zealand as long as the NZRU is fair and just. We’ve started negotiations and, if they are fair and just, they have nothing to fear.’
The NZRU introduced similar flexibility into Dan Carter’s recent contract extension, allowing the star flyhalf a six-month sabbatical at some point. They are expected to announce the re-signing of their third marquee player, Richie McCaw, this week.

Mason certainly more of a "hard man" than Williams, though experience > 'ardness in this case, if Masons only done boxing as part of his rugby training then I can't see him bettering SBW whose done it properly (albeit against subpar opponents)

Why would he face Mason, but not Lomu? Lomu is a beast. Mason is just an idiot. Can't see this helping Sonny Bill Williams's goal of being taken more seriously.

Why would he face Mason, but not Lomu? Lomu is a beast. Mason is just an idiot. Can't see this helping Sonny Bill Williams's goal of being taken more seriously.

Did you even read the article? SBW refused to comment on the thought of it. Toulon's owner is gaga and the article has no real quotes in it.

bender_haters,gonna_hate_gif.gif

Last edited:
Did you even read the article? SBW refused to comment on the thought of it. Toulon's owner is gaga and the article has no real quotes in it.

bender_haters,gonna_hate_gif.gif

I did, my point was that I can't see why he would do it (even though he hasn't agreed to it yet). Should have made that more clear in my post...

not to sound like too much of a prat but, if you watch the game again, see where Umaga is, yes the try was scored and thats all that matters but the old fella did well to take SBW.
He had to get across to take SBW first of all from a sloppy lineout and he did that superbly, managed to get in front of SBW, make the tackle but SBW's momentum got him over the line. Umaga still made the tackle though and that's all I have to say. That try through an Umaga tackle is all SBW had over Umaga in that game when they came up against each other. Umaga stopped SBW in each confrontation and no superman offload was made during an Umaga tackle, not to mention he put a monster hit on SBW in the game as well, can't say the same for Sonny Bill, because Tana actually fended him off and got away from him ONCE.. in saying that, Umaga was pretty much absent from the game at times where SBW tried to stay involved and that is where he had a better game. But when they came up against each other, Umaga prevailled.

Latest posts