• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Official Sonny Bill Williams Thread

what is the point??? i'm from SA and here they play kicking rugby...chances of running are slim in any case...SBW's passing is the next dimention to running rugby...

SA players still need to learn how to run with ball in hand....that is why they struggle to get these passes 100%......

they still need to go to ground, recycle and go again....in 20years time when they learned how to do that then teh ycan start with the normal offload in tackles, not even teh SBW current pass....just the normal offload...cuz they cant even do that now...yet they try to copy SBW....when they get that Sorted NZ running rugby will be in its next dimension....

I don't know what to say to this

what is the point??? i'm from SA and here they play kicking rugby...chances of running are slim in any case...SBW's passing is the next dimention to running rugby...

SA players still need to learn how to run with ball in hand....that is why they struggle to get these passes 100%......

they still need to go to ground, recycle and go again....in 20years time when they learned how to do that then teh ycan start with the normal offload in tackles, not even teh SBW current pass....just the normal offload...cuz they cant even do that now...yet they try to copy SBW....when they get that Sorted NZ running rugby will be in its next dimension....

i don't really get what you're trying to say but the only point where i agreed with De Villiers was what i said in the first two sentences of my other post. if you think otherwise then that's fine with me.

Mate you are a Joke

Check out this Idiot

Outspoken Springboks coach Peter de Villiers is at it again - this time blasting Sonny Bill Williams' style of play as a bad example to aspiring young players.
Williams starred again in the Crusaders' emphatic 20-14 win over the Stormers in South Africa, providing a magical one-handed offload for Sean Maitland to open the scoring.
However, de Villiers told South Africa's online magazine Union Sports Mag that he hoped Williams "matures in his game."
"He is doing everything wrong what rugby principles (requires) of you in the game."
"I mean back-hand passes shouldn't be the norm. It has become the norm, now everybody wants to do those kinds of nonsense and they forget about the basic principles of the game."
De Villiers admitted the flamboyance is warranted when executed well, but said Williams will be found out at a higher level of play.
"Last week he made four mistakes with those kind of non-rugby stuff that he is doing. Well, if it comes off it's brilliant, but do you have control over those kinds of things?"
<SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript>aimRenderAd(300, 250, 'RECTANGLE','ContentRect','/SR=1/POS=2');if(!$.browser.msie){ContentRect_frame = $("#ContentRect")[0];ContentRect_frame.src = ContentRect_frame.src;}</SCRIPT>
"If you get into international level where people work you out so easy, then you have to be in control of what you are doing."
The Springboks coach also suggested that youngsters watching Super Rugby will want to replicate the famous Williams-style offload at the expense of developing basic rugby techniques.
"He will spend hours and hours on the things that are not important and never master the most important things of rugby."
When pressed as to whether he has worked Williams out, De Villiers responded:
"Yeah, at this moment... If you close down his spaces, if you put pressure on him, and if you hit him hard, if you don't dance around with him like he does then there's no way..."
- HERALD ONLINE
By Chris Chang

Last edited by a moderator:
Just sounds like a very jealous and/or nervous coach to me. It's a rare ability to be able to do what SBW does with his offloading and I doubt many other players let alone kids would be able to pull it off at all. "Non-rugby stuff"? What nonsense.

I think PDV is one of those individuals who likes to see his name in the presses for any reason what so ever. Perhaps he is trying to take some attention away from the issues lurking in the SA camp's preparations for the RWC. Besides the Stormers and to a lesser extent Sharks the other SA Super rugby teams have underacheived this season. Great veteran players like Matfield and Steyn for example have looked ordinary so far.

SBW may be rough around the edges in many of the techniques he uses but someone of his physical skill set dosen't necessarily have to fit the "norm". As for him being exposed at international level, many of the Super Rugby franchises are as good as many countries national teams. This year's Tri-Nations has just gotten a little more interesting though, it will be intriuging to see how SA handles SBW.

I think PDV is one of those individuals who likes to see his name in the presses for any reason what so ever. Perhaps he is trying to take some attention away from the issues lurking in the SA camp's preparations for the RWC. Besides the Stormers and to a lesser extent Sharks the other SA Super rugby teams have underacheived this season. Great veteran players like Matfield and Steyn for example have looked ordinary so far.

SBW may be rough around the edges in many of the techniques he uses but someone of his physical skill set dosen't necessarily have to fit the "norm". As for him being exposed at international level, many of the Super Rugby franchises are as good as many countries national teams. This year's Tri-Nations has just gotten a little more interesting though, it will be intriuging to see how SA handles SBW.

Now that he has made a big song and dance about things i wouldnt be suprised if they stick 4 guys on him everytime he gets the ball, just to shut him down and say "see, i told you his game was easily read!". As a result i expect Carter and Smith to absolutely go to town with all that free space.

Can I coach the Sprinboks and say outlandish things as well?

Now that he has made a big song and dance about things i wouldnt be suprised if they stick 4 guys on him everytime he gets the ball, just to shut him down and say "see, i told you his game was easily read!". As a result i expect Carter and Smith to absolutely go to town with all that free space.

This is like what South Africa did with Lomu a while back. Basically stop him scoring, feel like mission accomplished, but pay for it with a lot of lost games due to open spaces elsewhere.

What a stupid thing to say, what does it matter what kids think about it? If it gets them interested its a good thing and its up to coaches to teach them how to play. That really shows what a terrible coach p'div is, if you understand something you know when to go outside of the guidelines, he's a child with a colouring in book, Henry is ****ing Picasso.
Henry already knew before SBW arrived that his offload is a weapon if anything more suited to test match rugby, not less. It's used in league because you only have a few phases to break the defense, you can't hammer away at the line and each tackle the defense is re-organised. The offload creates something out of nothing, as good as the Stormers defense supposedly is the Crusaders would have won with a bonus point had Williams' offloads not been dropped. I've always been one to not assume anything in a knockout tournament and have never been anything more than hopeful about the All Blacks chances until this time, fully fit this year they would be unstoppable as far as I'm concerned its All Blacks vs Injuries.

Just did an essay on this very thing...like finished it yesturday.

I am under the impression SBW converted through Mundine and Nessar.

You would know better than me brother , is it possible for me to have access to that essay ? You can email me @ [email protected] , re SBW I see he is really the hottest thing in Cape Town at the moment , everyone wants their pic taken with him. He is like a rockstar here lol. I think he leaves for Bloem today.

This is like what South Africa did with Lomu a while back. Basically stop him scoring, feel like mission accomplished, but pay for it with a lot of lost games due to open spaces elsewhere.

So true! Lomu never scored against us, but meanwhile, Christian Cullen and Jeff Wilson were tearing us to shreds. Stupid South African mentality.

PdV is retarded. Always has been.

You would know better than me brother , is it possible for me to have access to that essay ? You can email me @ [email protected] , re SBW I see he is really the hottest thing in Cape Town at the moment , everyone wants their pic taken with him. He is like a rockstar here lol. I think he leaves for Bloem today.

Umm I'd be happy to send it, but I'd need and wait untill it's graded. There are some very good sourses out there though if you're interested. My essay primarily looks at Wahhabism being the face of Islam in the Western World.

Last edited:

It's what England did in the EOYT as well - everytime SBW got the ball Hape and Tindall dived on him, leaving acres of space out wide for Hosea Gear to work his magic :(

This has been moved to the SBW thread, where the video already exists.

what i don't get about the PDV and SBW thing is....PDV is saying he is not worried about SBW....but almost everyday PDV is talking about SBW....in the last few weeks there has been lots of articles of PDV saying something about SBW......if you not bothered about him...leave him alone...talk about something else or hou jou bek :D ....

i think PDV is scared shitless :D lol

Lomu could run through a pack of English forwards from 20 metres out and score tries. that wasn't very rugby-like for a winger so did that mean he should have stayed on his wing and let the number 8 do it instead because it wasn't the norm? SBW's offloads aren't a norm because it's a skill that can't be taught in a similar way that Lomu's was barging through anything and everything. i think PDV just likes to wind up the media.

Guys there might still be hope... Remember!

PDiv is leaving us at the end of the year, I'm sure we'll miss him...

:D

Latest posts