Gavin

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Former Soviet Union
Club or Nation
Barbarians
sonny_bill_williams-420x0.jpg

All the news / views on SBW in this thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...s-he-cant-rule-out-souths-20110124-1a2mg.html

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_6698673,00.html

All Black star Sonny Bill Williams could make a sensational return to Rugby League after the upcoming World Cup.

The 25-year-old is set to feature in New Zealand's Webb Ellis squad as they aim to win the trophy for the first time since 1987.

However, the centre admits that he will reassess his situation at the end of the season and has not ruled out a move to NRL side South Sydney.

"Maybe (I would talk to South Sydney), it's definitely an option in a couple of years, maybe, after the (Rugby) World Cup," Williams told reporters.

But Williams in prohibited from re-joining the NRL before 2013 after he controversially walked out on a five-year deal at the Bulldogs in 2008.

"I don't think I'm allowed back until after 2012, so it's definitely an option," he added.

"And ... it's definitely an option to stay in New Zealand (and continue playing rugby union).

"For me, especially the last couple of years I've set myself on small goals and concentrating on the next target.

"This target is about getting the boxing out of the way again, trying to turn onto the Super 15 and trying to crack the All Blacks side and obviously the World Cup.

"And after that, nobody knows but, like I said before, it's always good as a sportsman to have boxing up your sleeve just like any businessman.

"The main thing for myself, I always try to be my own man.

"Be respective to others but at the same time I do what is best for myself and for my family, and it's just like with any person in the world."

Meanwhile, the Crusaders ace is confident he will have recovered from a leg injury in time for the start of Super Rugby season.

"It's not in my foot, it's in my (tibia) .... and it was early signs of a stress fracture, it wasn't actually a full stress fracture," he told AAP.

"They said it would take about six weeks to heal and I just wasn't allowed to run."

However, this has not hampered Williams' preparations for his heavyweight bout against Scott Lewis on the Gold Coast on January 29.

"The first thing I hit up was obviously if I could bounce around the (boxing) ring, and it's obviously a lot softer than the grass and the pavement, so (New Zealand rugby) were all sweet with it.

"I've been in close contact with the New Zealand doctor and it's all good."

Sounds like someone might be holding out for the best offer put on the table. Always guessed this was going to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knew it!
Knew it knew it knew it!
He doesn't care about Union, only went back to NZ for the Boxing and to bide his time until he can play in the NRL again.

Quotes taken out of context no doubt, shall see after the WC but that article looks likes its taken a few quotes from here and there and made for me a lazy article.

Quotes taken out of context no doubt, shall see after the WC but that article looks likes its taken a few quotes from here and there and made for me a lazy article.

He's never made it a secret he would consider returning to league or back to Europe after 2012.

He's never made it a secret he would consider returning to league or back to Europe after 2012.

True but an article like this gives a chance for the haters to further hate.

But if you look at the article it is **** poor!

True but an article like this gives a chance for the haters to further hate.

But if you look at the article it is **** poor!

Yeah, I understand what you're trying to say, and I agree that it is pretty poorly written and out of the blue. SBW made it pretty clear he's keeping his options open after the RWC. I'm still not the biggest fan of the whole "haters" etc. There is good reason why people dislike NZRU signing SBW, and he has a somewhat shady history. The only objection I have to this article, is it is making it sound like a dirty secret, when it has in fact been a key reason why many people got annoyed in the first place, and it's creating controversy out of yesturdays news.

Yeah, I understand what you're trying to say, and I agree that it is pretty poorly written and out of the blue. SBW made it pretty clear he's keeping his options open after the RWC. I'm still not the biggest fan of the whole "haters" etc. There is good reason why people dislike NZRU signing SBW, and he has a somewhat shady history. The only objection I have to this article, is it is making it sound like a dirty secret, when it has in fact been a key reason why many people got annoyed in the first place, and it's creating controversy out of yesturdays news.

Keeping his options open is a good thing, I still think he will stay and play till 2013 and then move back to NRL.

It must make his agent more money to get people anticipating his arrival then actually being at a particular club/sport/country. As soon as he arrives anywhere he's immediately announces (regular as clockwork) "Right, I'm off!"

Knew it!
Knew it knew it knew it!
He doesn't care about Union, only went back to NZ for the Boxing and to bide his time until he can play in the NRL again.

He does not care about union but I think he does genuinely want to play for the All Blacks at the world cup. He sees 2011 as an exciting year and something to be a part of it; after he will have no incentive to stay. I definitely don't like SBW and do not like the special treatment that he gets so he better do something pretty special this year.

He's about as loyal as Josh Valentine is to clubs, when it comes to which sport he's playing.

So far he already had a good time in NZ, Canterbury won the ITM cup.
He played a good EOYT, Crusaders are looking strong for the upcoming S15 and NZ is one of the top contenders for the RWC.
If he can win it all it makes sense he's looking for new challenges. I would prefer to see him a bit longer in NZ.

He did ok. At least it was fairly conpetitive this time.

After the fight they interviewed Sonny about which thing he valued the most, an All Black jersey or a rematch with Lewis?..he instantly replied 'hands down wearing the All Blacks jersey', and thats from the horses mouth. Good win from Sonny he should be one of the fittest at trainning on Monday although he has a leg injury??..he should be coppin a few brotherly jabs from his team mates at Crusader camp.

Last edited:
Has anyone else heard that he is being compared to Muhammad Ali?

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/sbw-the-next-ali-says-mundine-snr-20110130-1a9ie.html

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/4598637/Mundine-Snr-compares-SBW-to-Muhammad-Ali

Australian boxing great Tony Mundine has made the extraordinary claim that Sonny Bill Williams can be the next Muhammad Ali.
His startling appraisal came after rugby star Williams' unanimous points decision victory over Sydney brawler Scott Lewis at the Gold Coast Convention Centre on Saturday night.
Williams was impressive at times as he triumphed over six hectic rounds in his first real test in his three pro fights.
<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
A dual New Zealand international in both rugby league and union, Williams is also eager to make his mark in the boxing world.
Mundine, father of Williams' trainer Anthony Mundine, said he should think long and hard about making boxing his primary occupation following this year's Rugby World Cup.
"I said to (Williams) in 12 months time he could be the second Ali. He could be anything," Mundine said.
"I saw him about 12 months ago, I really thought he moved like Ali.
"He needs more fights ... If he keeps on boxing seriously, he will be the second Ali."
Mundine Snr could hardly have made a bigger call about Williams' potential, comparing him to the charismatic fighter many consider the greatest.
Ali amassed 57 wins in his 62-fight career, 39 of those by knockout.
Set to resume training with his Super Rugby side the Crusaders in Christchurch on Monday, Williams' focus was squarely on retaining his spot in the All Blacks' squad for the World Cup starting in September.
But following that, Mundine said he should do some serious soul-searching about his career direction.
When asked if he had ever seen anyone with Williams' raw ability, Mundine replied: "Never. Without a question.
"He's got a big question mark - rugby league, rugby union or boxing.
"In rugby league and union there's a lot of injuries, he can damage himself (in the) knees, neck, elbows and ankles.
"If he took on boxing after the World Cup (he could be anything)."
It was humbling praise for Williams from a man he respects greatly.
"When you've got guys like Tony Mundine in your corner, helping you out, you learn a lot," he said.
Williams has room in his contract with the New Zealand Rugby Union for another fight this year although he is unlikely to take that up until after the World Cup.

The SBW railroad continues.

In other news, the great Josh Kronfeld is ****** off at SBW and the NZRU double standards

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/4598242/Ex-All-Black-swings-at-SBW-double-standard

All Blacks legend John Kronfeld has taken a shot at rugby bosses, accusing them of double standards over letting Sonny Bill Williams box.
"If it was someone else they probably wouldn't be able to do it. Superstars have always been able to do that," Kronfeld told Sunday News.
Kronfeld this week spoke out as debate rages over injury-plagued Williams' polarising foray into professional boxing.
Williams – who is suffering from a stress fracture in his leg – last night fought Australian journeyman Scott Lewis on the Gold Coast, his second professional fight since signing with the New Zealand Rugby Union last June.
Kronfeld said during his playing days the NZRU tried to ban him from surfing, claiming the water sport was too dangerous. The directive came in 1997 after Kronfeld was involved in a surfing incident which left him with a gash to the forehead requiring 15 stitches.
"I got a letter from the NZRU saying I shouldn't be surfing during the test [season] and that I was in breach of contract and this sort of stuff," Kronfeld said.
"In the contract it read along the lines that I wouldn't participate in anything dangerous... anything outside the norm. For me, surfing is not outside the norm."
Kronfeld called the NZRU's bluff and responded, "I will just quit if you are going to pull this sort of s*** on me".
"So we sent them back a letter saying that I had just quit rugby... as simple as that. I told my lawyer, `Right, I won't play rugby'."
Rugby bosses then tried to amend Kronfeld's, contract forbidding him from surfing only during the test season.
Kronfeld held firm on his threat.
The union eventually backed down and Kronfeld back-tracked on his "retirement" and went on to play 54 tests for the All Blacks during an international career from 1995 to 2000.
Kronfeld believed the clause in Williams' NZRU contract allowing him to box was a sweetener of sorts.
"The way I see it, they want him and probably the contract was not lucrative enough, so that was the way around that, to say he could continue boxing," he said.
"That could have been the way around having him involved in the All Blacks and him still getting what he is worth supposedly. That's the only way I can see they have allowed him to continue boxing."

Latest posts