• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Comparison Thread Pt. 2

Which ***le do you prefer?

• Total voters

Wally

Academy Player
I realise there is already a comparison thread but this one is for comparing the two games since they have been released and played. This is to help posters here make informed purchasing decisions.

Only those who have played both games are entitled to vote. Obviously this can't be moderated however it would be beneficial for everyone if you only vote after playing both ***les.

Please contribute any dialogue comparing the two ***les in an unbiased manner.

Good job Wally!!

now we can have an honest (i hope) opinion from the guys who already got both games to tell the rest of us what is the best or better game!

Already got people who highly likely haven't played both in the poll. Not particularly surprised.

And people who've been hating for a fair while now.

im going to buy it because its a rugby game at the end of the day but i hope HB close down there rugby department after this and someone else can give it a try.

Heineken is hoping for honest opinions. He'll get that and good honest biased ones too.

as far as i can tell. of the 4 people that voted for RWC2011. only 3 could have RC.

and of the 4 that voted for RC only 2 could have the game...

Poll smells fishy to me xD

Yeah, I reckon the poll is a bit fishy both ways I guess. I'm really going to have to consider voting on this on the current states of the two games. If Rugby Challenge is patched and patched well to better fix the passing, off-loads and all the spilt ball (no matter how well you pass at times) my opinion would change, yet I can't vote using a crystal ball.

Edit: I was about to vote RWC, but I just can't stand to be thrown into the "all the mods at TRF are biased" bucket, so will leave it for now. I'll give the guys at Sidhe and HB a chance to impress us all with some good patching. :)

RWC2011 way better gameplay.

I'm not at all impressed with the game-play i cant seem to get a game online ( this could be my fault although my wireless handles Fifa no problem ) but all you need to do against the A.I is kick ridiculous touch finders steal the lineout and maul over.

Also all HB have done to the hard mode is bump up the opposition stats so they all put in monster tackles and so second-rows can run down Keith Earls etc

I have bought both games, and have played RC once and have not played it since that 1st time. I will play it again, but at the moment RWC is my first choice. The basics of rugby of RWC that nearly anyone can pick up and play and have fun doing so playing against each other. Mostly been playing RWC online and against family members at home. Nice flow to gameplay in my opinion and much much better than the flow of gameplay on RC.You should only vote if you bought both games.

A few guys predicted this; (shout outs to CA Iverson and Olyy) I think the games are very, very different and they kind of do different things.

In terms of pick up and playability, RWC is the one to go for. Easy controls, basics well covered, can score nice individual tries from the outset. People can get the hang of it quickly (helped by most people having played the older games) so can jump in and get it 'working' quickly.

RC on the other hand is fairly frustrating for the first time users. It feels like half your passes go to ground, all your rucks get turned over etc. Given time though, I reckon RC is way way deeper in terms of gameplay. Phase play actually matters, you can generate quick ball and catch the defence before it is aligned, passing system makes sense now and you can score so many unique tries. I think the hangover from rugby08 has affected it negatively a wee bit (e.g. perfect passes to your backs, run on the angle then through the gap everytime, which doesn;t work at all in RC). You can't really apply a formula on how to score tries which I like, have to adapt and play it as you see it, eg people complain about passes from the rucks going to ground, most likely this is cause a forward is at the base.. got to adapt.

So I would say RWC = arcade, RC = Sim to a degree. RC computer controlled offloads are a bit overkill (sliders sort this out but it is a bit tedious editing them all).

Both do some things better than the other ***le in terms of gameplay, each have their positives and negatives.

Why does it always have to be one or the other though? Could there not be a middle option in this poll for those of us who like to sit on the fence? :p Atm I'm really enjoying playing RWC2011, but there's a few things on it that do get on my nerves. I have no doubt whatsoever I will enjoy RC too, and not like things about it too, already a few things I've seen that disappoint me. Why do I have to choose between them when the way I've always seen it is that they're quite different games and to get the full 'rugby gaming' experience I want to own and play both.

Really enjoying RC now that I have figured out how to play it (not rushing it) . My fav part is that Small holes open up around the park not just in the same place every time and its really rewarding having a crack.

I haven't played both games yet, so won't vote (only own RWC, RC still isn't out in UK) but from the videos I've seen I'm really not all that impressed with RC. Passing looks ridiculously hit and miss, and I don't think the graphics are much of a step up from RWC as many people have said. I'll reserve judgement until I play RC but after seeing videos of it I'm a lot less excited about getting my hands on it to be honest.

From what I have seen no one is really sitting on any fence. Since the release of both games this part of the forum has died. Threads use to have X amount of posts and pages on every aspect; now it's a couple of post per thread. In my opinion that answers the poll.

It seems that the majority of people, myself included, were expecting much more from RWC2011, but instead we were left feeling short changed. My experience of RWC2011 isn't great. A bit boring to play by yourself, fun with friends but no real game modes to justify buying the game.

I won't vote as I have not played RC. If RC gameplay is terrible I suppose i'll buy RWC2011. However from it's limited gameplay, limited game modes and PS2 graphics and I can't really see this happening. I can't see a follow up for RWC2011.

Last edited:
From what I have seen no one is really sitting on any fence. Since the release of both games this part of the forum has died. Threads use to have X amount of posts and pages on every aspect; now it's a couple of post per thread. In my opinion that answers the poll.

It seems that the majority of people, myself included, were expecting much more from RWC2011, but instead we were left feeling short changed. My experience of RWC2011 isn't great. A bit boring to play by yourself, fun with friends but no real game modes to justify buying the game.

I won't vote as I have not played RC. If RC gameplay is terrible I suppose i'll buy RWC2011. However from it's limited gameplay, limited game modes and PS2 graphics and I can't really see this happening. I can't see a follow up for RWC2011.

Maybe its because they are all playing the game:) I know I am and have not posted as much. Had an excellent game last night against England with Argentina, lost 20-17 on a 40 minute game, very realistic score, and very fun game lots of variety in game play. Will really have to play both games for some time to get a true, winner but they both have some very positive stuff, RC Rucks(awesome) RWC foward play(awesome)=so many options.
Cheers and Salud

I like RWC. I'm not selling out, but I bought NHL 12 last week and it's fantastic. Completely different sport, granted, but graphics/gameplay and modes are amazing. I know it is a franchise like Madden and FIFA, but NHL series has improved steadily from it's early iterations. National sport of USA/Canada (hockey) v marginalised sport (rugby). It's a no contest.

As much as it pains me to say this, based on my previous posts, as well as my fondness for HB studios and their previous work...

I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying Rugby Challenge, if you get the hang of it and know when to pass and so on... it's really a lot of fun, and I've been playing it now for 2 weeks straight at least 3 hours a day and still have to try out all the teams and tournaments, haven't even had the chance to start my career mode.

Also i've edited all my South African teams (just the names and some appearance edits like a scrum cap or from dark hair to blonde) and i feel this game is great!! when you know how to run and so on, you can make some awesome backline moves and the mauling system is a lot more fun.

yes it has some glitches, but it's not a major issue for me and it doesn't take away the fun factor at all...

been playing RC 24/7 at the moment....my RWC11 copy's been collecting dust ever since i bought RC. If you play rugby..you'll love RC.

Went to Eb the other week to get RC and no copies left anywhere had them ring other locations even called other stores. EB sales rep also said RC was well ahead in sales.

If you play rugby..you'll love RC.

I agree 100 % with this. RWC Arcade and would say for people who don't know that much from rugby, RWC would be more fun and the better to play. On the other hand RC is more for the advance(experienced) rugby guy. It's funny, literally all my rugby playing friends like RC, but the guys not playing ruggas like RWC more, because of the simplicity.

NB ! Not Discriminating against RWC gamers....

Hi Guys

I have both. Played a lot of RWC untill RC was released. Since then i have only played RC. I will however give RWC another go soon. So in my case i guess i'm enjoying both.

Good and bad points with both games. Wish that RWC had more depth but still enjoying it.