• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Blues?!

Im very disappointed in seeing Anscombe being unwanted by the Blues(hes confirmed it himself), far too young to be given the boot and playing some bloody good rugby in the ITM. How is Michael Hobbs in this Blues team?? hes a total hopeless player. Dan Waenga to me is a 12 not a 10. Chris Noakes is a journeyman and is best as a bench player nothing else. Now i see that The Blues are after Baden Kerr, hes ok but hes like chris noakes. So i hope when Auckland meets Counties that the aucklanders put the south aucklanders through the ringer and let the Blues realise what a dumb mistake they made.

When did Anscombe confirm?

I think Baden Kerr is a very similar player to Anscombe - I'd hardly say Anscombe is light years ahead in present ability or potential.

They both do very similar things - they are first and foremost kicking five eighths.

When did Anscombe confirm?

I think Baden Kerr is a very similar player to Anscombe - I'd hardly say Anscombe is light years ahead in present ability or potential.

They both do very similar things - they are first and foremost kicking five eighths.

I have just seen it confirmed here.

I think Kerr is a good solid player, but I do think Anscombe has far more potential. He is an exceptional goal-kicker, and though like Kerr you could say he is a kicking first-five, he actually has a very good individual running game, as he is very quick. His biggest issue is his defense, though I do think this is an area he will improve. I'm not sure he will ever be an All Black, but he does have the potential to go that far, and should turn into a very good Super Rugby player at the very least (as long as he stays in New Zealand!).

I just find it ludicrous that the Blues region finally produces another solid first five option, and straight away they're kicked out.

You'd think they'd at least have learned from Harris, who although is not All Blacks material, wouldn't look out of place in an NZ squad.

Just seen that the Bayden Kerr signing has been confirmed. Interestingly both Gareth Anscombe and Michael Hobbs have been de-listed by the Blues.

It sounds like the Blues have missed out on Adam Thomson, but are still pursing Jamie MacKintosh.

Meanwhile the Chiefs have continued the theme of delisting players, with Jackson Willison and Maritino Nemani delisted, while Bundee Aki looks to be signed for next season. I don't understand the de-listing of Willison or Nemani either - Willison is solid (if a bit unspectacular), while Nemani looks a player with real talent, and has been carving up at times during the ITM Cup. Perhaps a trip down to the deep South will be in order for him ;)

Last edited:
Nemani got very little chances last year too, which I think is a bit disappointing for him.

I've always liked Jackson Willison... There goes another local player, sigh.

I've heard that Anscombe is Welsh qualified. Scarlets could do with a good goal kicker...

I've heard that Anscombe is Welsh qualified. Scarlets could do with a good goal kicker...

Haven't heard that...

In any case, he's more likely to go to Ulster and play for Ireland than head to Wales.

Haven't heard that...

In any case, he's more likely to go to Ulster and play for Ireland than head to Wales.

Ireland is highly unlikely Paddy Jackson the starting out half is only 20 and they won't want and won't be allowed sign another young 10 who could hinder his progress.

Ireland is highly unlikely Paddy Jackson the starting out half is only 20 and they won't want and won't be allowed sign another young 10 who could hinder his progress.

With his dad as coach, some how I could easily see him getting away with it. Anscombe is only 21, so I'm sure Ulster (or even a different team like Munster) wouldn't mind poaching him. I think he'd actually do very well for Munster...

With his dad as coach, some how I could easily see him getting away with it. Anscombe is only 21, so I'm sure Ulster (or even a different team like Munster) wouldn't mind poaching him. I think he'd actually do very well for Munster...

I doubt it the IRFU are fairly strict about it they may want him but they wouldn't be allowed. I've heard Ulster aren't allowed sign an NIQ 10 whioch is why they signed the terrible Nial O'Connor in the summer. Munster would be more likely but I doubt it RO'G is a Kidney favorite, Ian Keatley is playing really well and is in the Ireland training squad and JJ Hanrahan who was nominated for world u20 player of the year can also play 10. Really the only province that would need him would be Connacht but there's no chance in hell of that happening.

I doubt it the IRFU are fairly strict about it they may want him but they wouldn't be allowed. I've heard Ulster aren't allowed sign an NIQ 10 whioch is why they signed the terrible Nial O'Connor in the summer. Munster would be more likely but I doubt it RO'G is a Kidney favorite, Ian Keatley is playing really well and is in the Ireland training squad and JJ Hanrahan who was nominated for world u20 player of the year can also play 10. Really the only province that would need him would be Connacht but there's no chance in hell of that happening.

May have a point there, sure you're better informed of Ireland's player restrictions than I am. Still think a move to Ireland is more on the cards than a move to Wales though, even if it was to Connacht.

Surely O'Gara ganna retire soon. He's half way to 70...

lots of interesting changes...

Bayden Kerr to the blues? An ok player but hardly worth dumping Anscombe for. I'd expected the blues to sign someone of genuine quality after dumping Anscombe, it hasn't happened.

Still think it's a real shame to see a genuine quality, young, local 10 dumped by the blues...

Hobbs also delisted, shame he hasn't had a great run of form recently - since his injury comeback.

Chiefs have delisted Jackson Willison, Maritino Nemani and Scott Waldrum.

Sounds like Waldrum is not wanted by any other franchise as well. To make matters worse he broke his arm. Shame really, he's a quality player.

As much as it pains me to see Jackson Willison get cut the reality is he has not really lived up to his potential. Very good defender and ok distributer but kinda lacks a bit as a ball carrier. does not help that he's been very average this ITM cup. I think they have had to cut him to make sure they can hold on to Horrell.

Overall I really dislike how New Zealands super rugby sides are becoming less and less representative of their areas, a lot of franchise hopping going on. I don't think it would have happened 3 years ago, not that long ago but now it seems common place.

O'Donnell and Bradley also delisted. I hope Cathcart is signed by the Chiefs...

Just seen that the signing of Bryn Hall,Kane Barrett and Waisake Naholo have been confirmed by the Blues.

Good to see Hall's signing confirmed - as I've mentioned previously I think he is a very good signing. Not too sure about Barrett and Naholo though. Barrett is a good hard working 6/lock, though hasn't really stood out at ITM Cup level in my opinion. He is still young, but I thought there were probably better options available. Naholo's signing surprises me slightly, mainly as he isn't really the sort of wing they need. He is a genuine threat with ball in hand, but his option taking is a bit average, and he is very erratic under the high ball and in defense.... just like most of their other wing options!

lots of interesting changes...

Bayden Kerr to the blues? An ok player but hardly worth dumping Anscombe for. I'd expected the blues to sign someone of genuine quality after dumping Anscombe, it hasn't happened.

Still think it's a real shame to see a genuine quality, young, local 10 dumped by the blues...

Hobbs also delisted, shame he hasn't had a great run of form recently - since his injury comeback.

Chiefs have delisted Jackson Willison, Maritino Nemani and Scott Waldrum.

Sounds like Waldrum is not wanted by any other franchise as well. To make matters worse he broke his arm. Shame really, he's a quality player.

As much as it pains me to see Jackson Willison get cut the reality is he has not really lived up to his potential. Very good defender and ok distributer but kinda lacks a bit as a ball carrier. does not help that he's been very average this ITM cup. I think they have had to cut him to make sure they can hold on to Horrell.

Overall I really dislike how New Zealands super rugby sides are becoming less and less representative of their areas, a lot of franchise hopping going on. I don't think it would have happened 3 years ago, not that long ago but now it seems common place.

I saw that Waldrom had been de-listed by the Chiefs - it didn't surprise me (given how little he was used this season), but he is still playing some great rugby (when he is not injured!). I would love to see him down at the Highlanders, as I think he would really suit our expansive style of play, but I think there is a very good chance he will go to the Crusaders. The Crusaders are on the lookout for a quality 7 to backup Todd, and given Waldrom has played for them in the past (and is still playing quality rugby), he could fit in really well there.

I don't think they have technically been de-listed, rather they just haven't been re-signed for this season, as they only had one year contracts which expired at the end of last season. I'm not surprised they haven't been re-signed - Bradley is a very good NPC player, but lacks the extra pace that is required at the next level, and while O'Donnell has talent, he hasn't really lived up to his potential thus far.

Last edited:

Not delisted, they only had a one year contract.

I think Kane Barrett is a good signing although I sorta agree that he hasn't really stood out in the ITM Cup. He has been sick most of this years competition and previously he has behind a lot of quality players. I expect him to do well, though.
I agree on Naholo, though. He has a lot of potential but he also has quite a few areas he needs to work on before he is really ready for this level.

Not delisted, they only had a one year contract.

I think Kane Barrett is a good signing although I sorta agree that he hasn't really stood out in the ITM Cup. He has been sick most of this years competition and previously he has behind a lot of quality players. I expect him to do well, though.
I agree on Naholo, though. He has a lot of potential but he also has quite a few areas he needs to work on before he is really ready for this level.

I actually really like Kane Barrett's style of play from the little I have seen of him, as I'm a big fan of having the blindside flanker playing a tighter game. Hopefully he can stay injury/illness free for the rest of the season, so he gets some rugby under his belt before the Blues season kicks off

I actually really like Kane Barrett's style of play from the little I have seen of him, as I'm a big fan of having the blindside flanker playing a tighter game. Hopefully he can stay injury/illness free for the rest of the season, so he gets some rugby under his belt before the Blues season kicks off

Yep, and yet he has a 7s background so he still has the ability to run if necessary. I believe he has the talent to make the All Blacks, it is just the matter of really taking any opportunities he gets.

May have a point there, sure you're better informed of Ireland's player restrictions than I am. Still think a move to Ireland is more on the cards than a move to Wales though, even if it was to Connacht.

Surely O'Gara ganna retire soon. He's half way to 70...

Maybe more likely but both are pretty unlikely.

I hope so.

Danny Pryor from Northland should get a SuperRugby contract! He is a machine!!

Latest posts