The Blues?!

Discussion in 'Super Rugby' started by Larksea, Feb 12, 2012.

1. TRF_nickdnz

TRF_nickdnz Super Moderator

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

Understandably. From what I've read he was both disappointed and angry over being ommited, saying he's looking for another franchise and a chance to play against the Blues. To be fair, he is obviously the Blues most promising 1st 5/8th and this may be Kirwan's first real big mistake. He was never going to accept being told he wasn't good enough for the Blues at this stage in his career, and not sign with another team...

He's actually best off at the Blues as they don't have an established 10, but if he's not going to start anyway he may as well play for any other team - where he has a chance to develop in a winning enviroment. Amazing that Hobbs is there but not Ansombe.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Darwin

Darwin AKA Dingo_Darwin

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Highlanders

Hobbs has been de-listed too. I understand that Noakes and Kerr are the only two 10's signed with the Blues for next season - they are still looking for a 3rd (that is why they are apparently looking at Anscombe again).

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  4. Muzzy

Muzzy Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Fiji

Glad they signed Baden Kerr, he's been one of the best 10's in the whole ITM Cup so far, it would have been a huge waste of talent if he signed with the Chiefs and got no game time again.

Anscombe is a good kicker, a good runner and he's got good speed but he's not much of a play maker, maybe they should try him as a Fullback instead, I remember Auckland originally used him as a winger

I think Dan Pryor deserves a spot, not in the 22 but deserves to be in the squad

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  5. bobbilycious

bobbilycious Academy Player

They never really used him as a wing. He had 12 minutes replacing a wing in his first season of ITM Cup and that was it. I don't know the circumstances, but this may have been due to injuries rather than seeing him as a potential starter on the wing.

6. Larksea

Larksea First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

I think it will be a real shame if Anscombe does not end up at the blues, would seriously suck if the Auckland finally produced a good player and he ended up having to leave the area to get gametime.

7. Sam Owen

Sam Owen BANNED!!!

Country Flag:

Samoa

Club or Nation:

Blues

J.K was my hero back in the day when I use to watch my dads old videos of him. However as a coach, Im just going to have to trust in him to get the best out of his players. If it means we lose Gareth, so be it. I dont like it but it doesnt matter. Getting to the final is all I want to see. Go Blues!

8. TRF Mr Fish

TRF Mr Fish Your Piscine Overlord

Country Flag:

New Zealand

9. Darwin

Darwin AKA Dingo_Darwin

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Highlanders

Great news for the Chiefs. I'm not surprised at all he went with them rather than going back to a team that de-listed him, then only started showing interest after other teams indicated they wanted him.....

10. TRF Mr Fish

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Only signed for one season, by the looks of it, mind you.

11. TRF_nickdnz

TRF_nickdnz Super Moderator

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

Great signing by Chiefs. Blues just blew their most promising 1st 5/8th they've had in years. Anscombe will do very well on the Chiefs bench as it mean Cruden doesn't have to play 80 minutes every game.

12. Darwin

Darwin AKA Dingo_Darwin

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Highlanders

The Blues player drain continues, with backup LH prop Pauliasi Manu signing with the Rebels. He probably wouldn't have been a starter for the Blues, but I thought he would have been a valuable squad player this season, as he has been strong during the ITM Cup (and the Blues aren't exactly stacked with propping options....).

13. FlukeArtist

FlukeArtist Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Blues

I know it sounds weird, but as a Blues fan I'm quite excited about next year and all thre relative unknowns we will have.
    It will be very interesting to see what JK and Henry will be able to do with these guys.

I suspect the first year will be tough, but i'm optimistic we will upset a few teams on the way to building a solid squad

14. Sam Owen

Sam Owen BANNED!!!

Country Flag:

Samoa

Club or Nation:

Blues

I think we're going to be great next year. Im seeing us in the final, I just dont know who were playing?....

15. TRF Mr Fish

Country Flag:

New Zealand

The Kings?

16. Sam Owen

Sam Owen BANNED!!!

Country Flag:

Samoa

Club or Nation:

Blues

Whos the Kings?...and we'll smash the Chiefs (just saying).

17. Larksea

Larksea First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

the kings are the new SA team that will be 15th on the table.

I would be more excited about the Blues prospects next year if Anscombe was in the squad. I don't think for a moment that Ker or Nokes are the same level, time will tell.

Blues clearly have the forward pack, even without woodcock - though it has to be said the Scrum was the only really good thing about the Blues 2012 season and Woody was the major factor in that.

I honestly think the major factor is Uncle Ted. He's never really coached a bad side.

18. bobbilycious

bobbilycious Academy Player

The Blues have signed up Tim Perry to play prop.

19. UilamOsa

UilamOsa Academy Player

Country Flag:

Samoa

Club or Nation:

Blues

I'd have to say i'm worried - the whole Anscombe thing has really killed my Blues buzz. Historically Great/Good HalfBacks & 1st Fives dominate Super Rugby + Finals. We have neither.

Whilst it's clearly a rebuilding stage, i'd prefer a championship or bust mentality. It's been a long time between drinks. (for them & me)

20. Darwin

Darwin AKA Dingo_Darwin

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Highlanders

21. Larksea

Larksea First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

McDonald is a good pickup, I'd rather have him than Flynn.

maybe it's just me but I really don't rate McCatney as a first choice Loose head prop.

I honestly think he's at best a handy guy to have on the bench and hard working squad member at super rugby level. Can't help but think the gap between having Tony Woodcock at #1 to having Tom McCartney at #1 will be VAST.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!