• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 3: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Auckland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was not happy with Lions being allowed go drinking and posting pictures up on social media of having beers in middle of day and all the bungee jumping and jet skiiing. He said fair enough taking a few days for R&R but if you're doing R&R do it right and don't be feeding motivation to the All Blacks. He said the All Blacks are probably killing eachother in training fuelled by a signal of "these guys are taking the easy road and being kind of disrespectful towards us".
BOD just wants the team at practice, church and in bed by curfew. BOD just wants the boys to not squander an opportunity he never had.

I read a thread on here that raised doubts over the future and the worthlessness of the Lions altogether. This thread was before the win on Saturday of course and Ive forgotten the name of it but I found it very surprising to read it from a NH posters point of view. The tours are an experience for the players as well as us. They should enjoy the occasion as the Lions are a real rugby UNION in that it brings those players from different countries together. Its also good for the host nations players as they get to experience what its like to play at international level and thats an experience not all players will get to experience. Because of the Lions games, Im expecting the NZ Super teams to do very well for the remainder of this season. As for the Lions - they're getting better, with every outing and the NZ tour is the best way for a NH player to improve their game and to find out how good they are.

Let the boys have fun as Im sure its under control. Let them enjoy New Zealand I say and have a very fulfilling experience.

BOD just wants the team at practice, church and in bed by curfew. BOD just wants the boys to not squander an opportunity he never had.

I read a thread on here that raised doubts over the future and the worthlessness of the Lions altogether. This thread was before the win on Saturday of course and Ive forgotten the name of it but I found it very surprising to read it from a NH posters point of view. The tours are an experience for the players as well as us. They should enjoy the occasion as the Lions are a real rugby UNION in that it brings those players from different countries together. Its also good for the host nations players as they get to experience what its like to play at international level and thats an experience not all players will get to experience. Because of the Lions games, Im expecting the NZ Super teams to do very well for the remainder of this season. As for the Lions - they're getting better, with every outing and the NZ tour is the best way for a NH player to improve their game and to find out how good they are.

Let the boys have fun as Im sure its under control. Let them enjoy New Zealand I say and have a very fulfilling experience.
To be fair (and I usually don't agree with BOD) he was right in that they shouldn't have put it out in the public eye as much.

I think the biggest detriment to the Lions for the 2017 and 2013, has been Gatland. I've actually enjoyed the playing style this year, but he's probably the most disliked head coach between the home nations, so it's not a good starting point... The whole WarrenBall thing gets people's back up from the start, plus the strong Welsh contingent that he always brings in.

If a Schmidt/Jones/Townsend was selected for 2021, I have a feeling the buzz could be reinvigorated.

Saturday's prediction, would love a Lions win but it will take something stellar and beyond what we've already seen - But i'm still stupidly excited...

I think the biggest detriment to the Lions for the 2017 and 2013, has been Gatland. I've actually enjoyed the playing style this year, but he's probably the most disliked head coach between the home nations, so it's not a good starting point... The whole WarrenBall thing gets people's back up from the start, plus the strong Welsh contingent that he always brings in.

If a Schmidt/Jones/Townsend was selected for 2021, I have a feeling the buzz could be reinvigorated.

Saturday's prediction, would love a Lions win but it will take something stellar and beyond what we've already seen - But i'm still stupidly excited...
100% true here BUT have a feeling both Jones and Schmidt will be well gone.

Really think Townsend though could be a man to really spark a true Lions revival. His coaching and style is perfectly suited.

If you want to see excellent use of the bench to finish games look at Jones for England. He has intent to use his bench but he has the gameplan on how those players should be playing that suits them. Rather than a replacement to fit into the gameplan that the person who just left the field was playing.

Its a stark contrast from predestined substitutions of the Lancaster era where we'd pull guys regardless of how they were playing and determined points and hope the new guy as he was fresher would do the same job.

Tactical substitutions can greatly enhance a side but I think jones and his concept of 'finshers' is the only one really making hay with it at international level.

Totally agree with you and the other guy who said you dont have to use your bench, my point was gat chose not use most of his bench even though it should of made and impact. Fact is as lions we have experiemce on the bench not inexperience.

Dont need to bring on at 60 as with jones your doing crap at 20 min your coming off, your having a stormer youll pay 80

I just dont think thats the case with gats he seems scared to change incase it doesnt work. Undermines himself it seems this experience the bench need to be used well rather than bearly at all

Totally agree with you and the other guy who said you dont have to use your bench, my point was gat chose not use most of his bench even though it should of made and impact. Fact is as lions we have experiemce on the bench not inexperience.

Dont need to bring on at 60 as with jones your doing crap at 20 min your coming off, your having a stormer youll pay 80

I just dont think thats the case with gats he seems scared to change incase it doesnt work. Undermines himself it seems this experience the bench need to be used well rather than bearly at all
I keep comparing this side to Lancaster era England and predestined subs was a huge hallmark of that time with little regard to what was happening on the pitch.

The 20 min sub by Jones was a wonderstroke and bought him a huge amount goodwill. I think it set the tone for 3-0 whitewash and I think we'd have lost that series without that call. Its part of what like about England at the moment we appear to be playing to what is in front of us instead of following a regimented plan that can't be deviated from.

The time is now for the Lions. It's been 46 years since the Lions have won a series against the All Blacks. The next Lions series against the All Blacks is 2029.

Gatland has the opportunity to win a series against the ABs. An opportunity that Clive Woodward couldn't achieve as well as many others. I think if the Lions management elected the Irish coach as the Lions head coach, then we would see more Irish players in the squad. Warren Gatland did not elect himself to be the Lions coach. Someone picked him and so far he's got a real opportunity this Saturday.

If you want to see excellent use of the bench to finish games look at Jones for England. He has intent to use his bench but he has the gameplan on how those players should be playing that suits them. Rather than a replacement to fit into the gameplan that the person who just left the field was playing.

Its a stark contrast from predestined substitutions of the Lancaster era where we'd pull guys regardless of how they were playing and determined points and hope the new guy as he was fresher would do the same job.

Tactical substitutions can greatly enhance a side but I think jones and his concept of 'finshers' is the only one really making hay with it at international level.

Hansen has been great with subs and his team selection during his tenure, more so than any of his predecessors to the point where I thought of him as the best coach in the world by some distance, the amount of games we used to win in the final 3rd was great. So that's why this Lions series has me well and truly baffled. He's butchered some selections and is now backtracking some over his original named cover. Our bench is lacking an impact on the game and we are losing momentum with his changes. I think S.Barrett needs dropped.

I keep comparing this side to Lancaster era England and predestined subs was a huge hallmark of that time with little regard to what was happening on the pitch.

The 20 min sub by Jones was a wonderstroke and bought him a huge amount goodwill. I think it set the tone for 3-0 whitewash and I think we'd have lost that series without that call. Its part of what like about England at the moment we appear to be playing to what is in front of us instead of following a regimented plan that can't be deviated from.
100% agree

Really think Townsend though could be a man to really spark a true Lions revival. His coaching and style is perfectly suited.

The rugby they'd play under Townsend would be some real Baba's style stuff, but I'd love it. Great coach and hoping he shows it, if Scotland finish top 3 this year he could really break the stigma around Scottish rugby

The rugby they'd play under Townsend would be some real Baba's style stuff, but I'd love it. Great coach and hoping he shows it, if Scotland finish top 3 this year he could really break the stigma around Scottish rugby
What I love about Townsend is he started at the bottom in Scottish Rugby when it was at a pretty low ebb and has really pulled every team he's been involved in up but as you say doing it playing a lovely style. Yes he will loose games until he learns some time to adapt in certain scenarios but the thing is he WILL adapt and Scotland as a whole will benefit from it eventually. That I'm sure of

Throw my 2p in here, targeting Luamape's inside shoulder is going to be one of the only routes where the Lions will get yards. Especially off lineout or scrum ball, other than that it's going to be in the sweeper area or just in front of Jordie Barrett, test him early on and apply the pressure.

From the AB's perspective, it's surely their broken play ability that's going to get them through this? As a kicking option, they're surely going to challenge Daly's positioning into the corner, as well as getting the kick chase going down the middle.

Or am I talking complete gibberish?

Does the Lions coach have to be a current 6N coach? In fact wouldn't it better if they weren't?

Would prefer them to be British though.

Does the Lions coach have to be a current 6N coach? In fact wouldn't it better if they weren't?

It's not a bad shout. I've always felt that you can't really be 100% accepted as objective if you are the or recently have been the coach of one of the four nations. This would solve it. I guess it's finding someone who isn't already coaching, who is already at that level...not so easy.

Would really liked to have seen England take on the ABs in a series this year. Not because their chances of winning were any better, but I think they would offer the Abs the best challenge right now.

The Lions tour came just at the right time, but I am a bit miffed over some selections, and not for English players overlooked. For instance, think Vunipola a mistake to start at prop. If he gets behind in the scrum, then it will only make heads drop. Task becomes that much more difficult. Everyone knows the other questions of the starting 15. Can't argue the competition has been good in the squad, if not always rewarded, in my eye at least.

Sure would make this forum one dull place. :D What's a Lions tour without a good old rant about biased selection?

What I love about Townsend is he started at the bottom in Scottish Rugby when it was at a pretty low ebb and has really pulled every team he's been involved in up but as you say doing it playing a lovely style. Yes he will loose games until he learns some time to adapt in certain scenarios but the thing is he WILL adapt and Scotland as a whole will benefit from it eventually. That I'm sure of
Sorry - is that Gregor Townsend? Former player? Should know this, but don't tune into much Northern Hem rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts