• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 2: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Wellington)

There are conflicting reports on Nahalos concussion plus I don't believe an injury on the play should be a factor into banning players. As the nature of a contact sport will be players get injured. You mitigate those factors as much as possible and punish those who don't work to mitigate it. You don't punish players for trying to compete within the realms of the laws and something unfortunate happens.

This all said I'm not going to throw a wobbly if SOB does get banned.
Well it would be unfair if Naholo is out this week due to a brain injury whilst SOB gets to carry on playing.

I haven't played a lot of rugby (just a season and a half) but I did a lot of other contact sports and I still fight in grappling and MMA, so allow me to share my perspective

- SBW deserved the red card. There was no point in shoulder charging onto other guy's face even if it was accidental, which it wasn't, because it was totally intentional. Full speed shoulder charge, yellow. Full speed shoulder charge to the head, borderline red. Full power shoulder charge to the face, a red card as red as the devil's back. Had his right shoulder not worked as a padded surface his head hit against therefore stopping his head from full swinging, he would have been KO'd

- And that's what drives me to SOB. The hit is hard. The strike lands straight and true onto Naholo's head side...and Naholo's head is free to go wherever SOB wanted it to go, hence the guy is KO'd before going to the ground. Perhaps not as intentional, not as reckless but worth of being cited...yes. Because it was intentional too and the TV allows us to watch it and punish it afterwards.

- About some of you saying the game is being pussified, this is like soccer and all the talking...well. You don't really understand because your perspective is pretty dated. Rugby is a contact sport. A contact sport without weight classes. And players are heavier and stronger than ever before. A guy like (the fake french) Atonio could hit with all his power and every one of his 155kg a guy like George ford and his 85kg...just 70kg of difference. Do you, the ones that are saying this is being watered down like Starcucks Coffee, even realize how dangerous could it be? Being tackled, being taken down, being handed off...yes, that is what the game is about, if you feel is very hard for you, try ballet instead. But every regulation has to be fully enforced because safety is in play

Sorry for my English

Last edited:
Fairness has nothing to do with it players break others limbs in games and the play doesn't warrant a Red card and they don't get banned.
Limbs? ankles, knees...leg low tackle? lets not get away from our discussion in regards to both players making contact with the head resulting in brain injury.

It sounds like you weren't aware that SOB was cited?

Yup so the citing commissioner says it should of been a Red card. SOB is contesting that right now....I fail to see your point?
My point is simple, the media suggests SOB has been cited lol. Its plain reading.

I have literally no idea what you on about....

The citing commissioner has deemed the offence warranted a red card and cited SOB.
SOB is currently in front of the disciplinary board where if Smarcookie is correct he he contesting that charge.

Until a verdict comes out of the disciplinary hearing there is no official what he should of got in the game.

I have literally no idea what you on about....
Im just saying the media reports has said that O'Brien has been cited. Multiple reports are saying that he's been cited.
For.it to be a citing the citing comissioner has to belive it was a red card offence.
That, to me, sounds like you didn't know O'Brien was cited. Read your post again to see how I could think that. Multiple reports below say he's?...you guessed it :) cited!
http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/40472057
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...rien-cited-for-swinging-arm-on-waisake-naholo
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/02/sean-obrien-miss-lions-decider-cited-second-test
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-un...ng-dropping-players-indiscipline-sean-obrien/

:) you have an idea now? lol.

Bottom line if Sean's incident was reviewed in-game it would be a yellow card for unintentional contact to the head. Never a red in any situation.

Im just saying the media reports has said that O'Brien has been cited. Multiple reports are saying that he's been cited.

That, to me, sounds like you didn't know O'Brien was cited. Read your post again to see how I could think that. Multiple reports below say he's?...you guessed it :) cited!
http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/40472057
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...rien-cited-for-swinging-arm-on-waisake-naholo
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/02/sean-obrien-miss-lions-decider-cited-second-test
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-un...ng-dropping-players-indiscipline-sean-obrien/

:) you have an idea now? lol.
I did know he'd been cited....I have zero idea what your point is...

More importantly were talking about citing and the outcome so I've no idea why you'd thinking of not know.

I did know he'd been cited....I have zero idea what your point is...
LOL ok...just look at your post underneath and you can understand how one would think that you didn't know he was cited.
For.it to be a citing the citing comissioner has to belive it was a red card offence.
My point is simple, the media reported he was being cited. Thats it! Easy as.

Iv got to say that the SOB citing looks soft to say the least. When I read he's been cited for a swinging arm I didn't expect to see this.

There's barely an ounce of backlift in his arm movement, the tackled player has not yet been grounded and SOB is coming to assist Daly.

If he wanted to hurt Naholo this would not be the way he'd do it.

I appreciate that we're looking for consistency given the SBW incident but I think they are different incidents together. SBW gets up to speed and full on shoulder charges with no attempt to tackle legally.

O Brien has barely done anything here and looks to be assisting Daily in grounding the tackler, whose head is behind him and therefore not visible.

Surely you New Zealander's don't rate this as ban worthy? I know everyone's annoyed with the red card yesterday but come on, if SOB is banned for something like this then we really are treading on egg shells in Union are we not?

Completely get the laws and the way we are looking to avoid head and neck injuries, but I really don't think this incident here is deliberate or dangerous play from Sean whatsoever.

LOL ok...just look at your post underneath and you can understand how one would think that you didn't know he was cited.

My point is simple, the media reported he was being cited. Thats it! Easy as.
You're an idiot I was explaining why you can't retroactively give someone a citing for a YC offence...read the thread of the posts your are quoting...

^^^
If SBW gets a 4 week ban, a penalty and red on top of loosing us the friggin game.

Then SOB damn well will get something.

And no I dont think he should get a ban longer than one match but thats the ridiculousness of the rules of rugby right now because we all know if he does get one it will be more than one match.

This probably isn't an original point but the modern game is all about protecting head and neck. Whether the player passes HIA is irrelevant due to risk of long-term effects.

SBW - clear red.
Vunipola from what I saw made contact below neck. Reckless and stupid but because of that only yellow.
SOB - least reckless but hit head so quite possibly red.
Teo tip tackle saw SBW land on shoulders if I remember correctly.
Only thing that I find anomalous to current instructions is how the he'll Sam Cane didn't get cited. This is an example of why people think system is biased in favour of AB

Surely you New Zealander's don't rate this as ban worthy? I know everyone's annoyed with the red card yesterday but come on, if SOB is banned for something like this then we really are treading on egg shells in Union are we not?
I agree to some extent in that the game is becoming soft. This has come about from the All Black end of year tour last year where off the top of the list, Sam Canes tackle on an Irish player which resulted in a review of the head high tackle laws.

If I was to judge it, I'd say O'Brien can only play this week if Naholo is not ruled out due to a brain injury suffered by O'Brien. I think that would be fair.

Latest posts