• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 2: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Wellington)

I am concerned about ALB's gain line attacking. He reads the play well and links the backline well, but at times he can be too small and we're not getting enough metres out off him. When he comes up against big defences he struggles to find another gear.

It's the opposite for me with Laumape, he's a great gain line attacker but, his defensive reads need to be better and reading the game in general.

I'm really concerned about the balance of our MF going into the final test.

Ok, so with Hansen's gamble selections we now have ALB, Laumape and Goodhue left as centres going into the final test of the series at 1-1

ALB has just 11 caps and Laumape with the 1 and Goodhue is 21 and uncapped.

We have Fekitoa a 20+ cap world cup winner who puts his body on the line and has a huge amount of experience with playing with our backs to the wall, sitting at home watching the games on TV. Ok he's not the best centre in the world but, he's really experienced and doesn't let you down in a tight spot.

This is an irresponsible selection in my opinion. These kids are good players but, throwing them into this situation for their debut is unfair. 2 players untested at test match level against the '2nd' best team in the world in a deciding fixture..

Hansen might learn a lesson next weekend, I think he's already learning it now.
Don't think there's too much need to worry. ALB doesn't have many caps but looks comfortable on the international stage. Laumape although somewhat unexperienced did well today. The guy is frankly a monster. Laumape - ALB is arguably the form pairing in NZ right now, I really can't imagine you struggling. Plus Ioane is fully capable of covering 13 and ALB can shift to 12.

Ok, so with Hansen's gamble selections we now have ALB, Laumape and Goodhue left as centres going into the final test of the series at 1-1

ALB has just 11 caps and Laumape with the 1 and Goodhue is 21 and uncapped.

We have Fekitoa a 20+ cap world cup winner who puts his body on the line and has a huge amount of experience with playing with our backs to the wall, sitting at home watching the games on TV. Ok he's not the best centre in the world but, he's really experienced and doesn't let you down in a tight spot.

This is an irresponsible selection in my opinion. These kids are good players but, throwing them into this situation for their debut is unfair. 2 players untested at test match level against the '2nd' best team in the world in a deciding fixture..

Hansen might learn a lesson next weekend, I think he's already learning it now.

Fekitoa probably spent to much time looking in the mirror at AB's training or something. With Hansen I dont think he makes these decisions lightly and he's usually right.

When things got desperate and they ditched the game plan **** started to happen. Howland at its lucky, lucky best.
In Warburton's postmatch interview, on the Kiwi stream I was watching, he basically said that Faletau's try was against the gameplan, and that he was glad that the backs had the balls to throw it about in that situation.

Correct in Law perhaps, but morally wrong. The Law should not put a player in an impossble position through no fault of his own.

While I agree it is harsh, I do not agree it is impossible to not make that tackle. If he was aware he'd have noted the ball was thrown high and then realised there is a chance the receiver would need to jump.

Naturally he's a prop though so was just looking to make a big hit, not read the play.

Don't think there's too much need to worry. ALB doesn't have many caps but looks comfortable on the international stage. Laumape although somewhat unexperienced did well today. The guy is frankly a monster. Laumape - ALB is arguably the form pairing in NZ right now, I really can't imagine you struggling. Plus Ioane is fully capable of covering 13 and ALB can shift to 12.

Form vs mainly crappy Safa teams and really crappy Aussie teams. It's all front foot rugby, not much tight grinding experienced test match level stuff in there. In my honest opinion bias aside, Fekitoa is IDEAL in those conditions. He's not ideal when you have front foot ball. He's a grinder and a battler and puts his body on the line and has the biggest work rate in the world at centre.

Trust me when I say it's a mistake leaving him out off this series. Having a battler for this series was important, particularly when conditions were likely to be bad in one test and when your backs against the wall.

Can't believe we won as we were terrible today. Still, its sets up next week a treat.

Yep, AB's had 14 men because one of their guys was an utter moron and got himself sent off for a brainless tackle but, this surely was evened up by the fact that the Lions were absolutely appalling today. We were so indisciplined it was a disgrace and it almost cost us. We seemed determined to give the game to the kiwis by gifting them penalty after penalty, chance after chance. Luckily for us we caught the AB's on a bad day, they were almost as useless as we were

For most of the game we played like schoolboys playing their teachers. This was so evident in the 20 minutes Sonny Bill ******** got himself sent off. When that happened we got all excited like a bunch of kids and instead of pressurizing the AB's we gave them the ball, territory and points through pointless childish penalties. We over committed in the tackle and instead of putting the AB on his arse, all too often we slipped off him and a second tackle was needed to get the player down. We were so jumpy in the defensive line it was like someone was jabbing needles into out thighs as we needlessly jumped offside over and over again. As our game plan fell apart our players went to pieces and we did not exploit our numerical advantage, in fact we made it work against us.

The AB's had nothing today, they just 'hit up' and hoped, relying on our indiscipline and the referees whistle to gift them points. This did surprise me as I thought that even with 14 men, we were playing such terrible rugby that they'd be able to do more against us. Lucky for us then that the AB's had an off day today and didn't rely exploit our inadequacies as maybe they should have.

Pluses from the game as far as the Lions are concerned? I didn't see many, nice to score a couple of tries and we managed to scrape a win we didn't deserve. The result sets up the possibility of a great test next Saturday, which cant be bad, but other than that I cant think of any more positives from the game. The way we played we deserved to be hammered even against 14 Men so maybe there is a god after all.

One big question I have though is, why is Gatland persisting with the substandard Farrell. Yes he managed to kick straight forward penalties in front of goal today but managed to miss a strait forward one too. There were better more reliable goal kickers in the team today so why was he even picked. He did nothing and has done nothing all tour. there are better tacticians, better tacklers, better players than Farrell in the squad so why id Gatland persisting with someone who has no presence on the pitch at all?

Sean OBrien too. Why is he even on the pitch. All I remember of him today was a cheap shot to the head aimed at a tackled player who had his back to him. I don't recall him doing anything else.

Itoje, another player being lauded but I just don't see it. I thought he was poor today and his indiscipline almost cost us the game. Most of the penalties given to the AB's came from him or Vunipola. Exuberance is one thing but knowing where to draw the line, particularly the offside line, is is another. He is too raw to be playing at this level, a few years time? maybe, but right now, he shouldn't be on the pitch.

Have to question Gatland too. The game was screaming out for CJ Stander and T'eo so why didn't they get the nod over O'Brien and Farrell. It was obvious to me, I know I only coach Youth rugby, but I could see it, why couldnt he. He seems to be acting like a he's under pressure which has effected his control over selection. If he had to pick a matchday team to save his life, I don't think it would be the same as todays selection. Hopefull he'll get it right next week.

All in all I'm not a happy camper. We scraped a win when we should have lost and I'm not happy about that. Our discipline was disgraceful and our general play against 14 men clueless. We will never play that poorly again and win so we should take this game as an omen. Think of what could happen if we gt it right

The AB's wont be playing rugby next week, they'll be going to war. We have to be ready for that in both body and mind. Next week will be the hardest game of rugby those selected will ever play in their entire rugby careers. Someone has got to scare the life out of the players this week and beat them into shape, ready for the Battle of Eden Park. Can't wait

To be fair to the Lions, as soon as Sinny Bin Williams was carded, their accuracy, intensity and discipline nosed dived. Not sure the red card helped the Lions TBF. Certainly did not help the spectacle. I was in two minds when I saw the red card incident. For the good of the game, a yellow might have been a better result. For the Lions, 60 minutes against 14 men might be their best hope of a test result. I cant really argue that the decision was incorrect. It rather heaped more pressure on the Lions in the end, and for the next hour, they did all they could to lose. Simply could not get back into rhythm, and it was daft pen after pen, if not handling errors. The big worry for me (and likely most Lions fans) was that they had to get a victory up against 14, and you could easily see it not happening. From experience, it is sometimes harder to play against 14 men, as the opposition is more galvanized. The All Blacks rather tightened up possession, made less mistakes, and controlled the game after the red card, and it was pretty grinding. Only when the Lions could eventually force a mistake and get the ABS scrambling did they look dangerous. The irony in that. Couple of well taken tries, that you would expect against 14 men. 3rd and final test decider coming up. Expecting a massive backlash from the ABs. Who is under more pressure now, I wonder? Lions might have settled for 2-1 test series before the tour. They have certainly been more than able to compete, if not be polished and clinical. ABs will surely be smarting.

I'll offer my apologies to all those I ridiculed about the merits of having a top place kicker on the park. The ABs could have used Leigh 1/2 pint in lieu of the worlds number 1 player. Barrett had an international kicking shocker. Still a top player, but his goal kicking boots deserted him, and he could have had the ABs out home and dry but for some pretty big let offs for the Lions, it has to be said. He's no Dan Carter.

Here we go then - test number 3. Best outcome for all concerned with the Lions today and all those who still cherish the Lions tours.

Only saw the first half and around five minutes of the second but delighted with the result. Doing it ugly and general bad will about the Lions shouldn't stop us from celebrating. We beat the best in the world on their patch while still playing badly(although I hear the All Blacks just weren't themselves). I'm not confident against a vengeful all blacks team next week but we have a shot.
Im pretty chuffed sitting here in the Maro Itoje memorial handicap London Stanstead actually not even near London airport.
Even if these accents are already driving me up the bend.

Only saw the first half and around five minutes of the second but delighted with the result. Doing it ugly and general bad will about the Lions shouldn't stop us from celebrating. We beat the best in the world on their patch while still playing badly(although I hear the All Blacks just weren't themselves). I'm not confident against a vengeful all blacks team next week but we have a shot.
Im pretty chuffed sitting here in the Maro Itoje memorial handicap London Stanstead actually not even near London airport.
Even if these accents are already driving me up the bend.

One big question I have though is, why is Gatland persisting with the substandard Farrell. Yes he managed to kick straight forward penalties in front of goal today but managed to miss a strait forward one too. There were better more reliable goal kickers in the team today so why was he even picked. He did nothing and has done nothing all tour. there are better tacticians, better tacklers, better players than Farrell in the squad so why id Gatland persisting with someone who has no presence on the pitch at all?

Sean OBrien too. Why is he even on the pitch. All I remember of him today was a cheap shot to the head aimed at a tackled player who had his back to him. I don't recall him doing anything else.

Itoje, another player being lauded but I just don't see it. I thought he was poor today and his indiscipline almost cost us the game. Most of the penalties given to the AB's came from him or Vunipola. Exuberance is one thing but knowing where to draw the line, particularly the offside line, is is another. He is too raw to be playing at this level, a few years time? maybe, but right now, he shouldn't be on the pitch.

Agree with much of your post, but will perhaps take exception to the players you have critiqued. Thought Farrell and Sexton worked well together (ball in hand) and cant really argue with their defending. Couple of the loop arounds opened up the Abs and lead to tries. You need tries to beat the ABs. As for Farrell's goal kicking, I reckon the ABs might have taken his goal kicking today over Barrett's.

Itoje lets his intensity get the better of him, and he gave away soft pens to a fault, but for his sheer athleticism, it is arguable there was a better, more noticeable lock on the park today. Certainly the best physicality the Lions have to offer.

I thought SOB was good. Thought AWJ had a decent hour, albeit against 14 men for half of it. Cant really fault much of the Lions play other than really ill discipline and letting excitement get the better of them. Still, when it really mattered, they converted, which was a positive you did omit. Winning too, was all that mattered. Another positive.

Yes he managed to kick straight forward penalties in front of goal today but managed to miss a strait forward one too.

He missed one way out wide, in torrential rain. Not exactly a sitter.
His first kick, at least, was a tough one as well, not like he was just knocking them over from the 22m line straight in front.

Maro was a mixed bag, what he did well he did really well but he did give away a number of penalties. Call it the over exuberance of youth (as above :p ). He was the top tackler today, and I'd definitely start him again next week.

Big turnaround from the last time the Lions played the ABs in Wellington and were thumped by 30 points and Carter's masterclass. Talk of BB (in the Guardian newspaper) being greater than DC before the game being premature.

I am concerned about ALB's gain line attacking. He reads the play well and links the backline well, but at times he can be too small and we're not getting enough metres out off him. When he comes up against big defences he struggles to find another gear.

It's the opposite for me with Laumape, he's a great gain line attacker but, his defensive reads need to be better and reading the game in general.

I'm really concerned about the balance of our MF going into the final test.
Don't you worry mate. ALB's job is not to gain territory, his running was even better than gaining meters tonight. He finds space, and the other players are to blame for not running supporting lines around him. Or maybe we've got to credit the Lions for shutting down any near-side offloading opportunity as well!

The coaching staff made a huge mistake this week. They relied on the same attacking pattern that was so successful last time. But the Lions are no fools and they adapted to it. Add to that their good ball handling under wet weather and better decision making, it's no wonder they grinded out a win this time. But next encounter will be different hopefully

Will be very surprised if the Lions player (was it SOB?)is not cited for a head hit on Naholo which lead to his failing a concussion. Definitely lead with his arm, but you could debate his intention. Was frankly surprised it never got reviewed on the park, and it was just another in a litany of Lions irritating penalties in the match.

In Warburton's postmatch interview, on the Kiwi stream I was watching, he basically said that Faletau's try was against the gameplan, and that he was glad that the backs had the balls to throw it about in that situation.
WTF - Our game plan is not to score nice tries? We'd have preferred 3 points? You cant make this crap up.

Latest posts