• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Terrible attitude of French fans

Meats, pesto, onion, peppers (including chili), sweetcorn, mushrooms, tomatoes, olives.

o_O

Onions, fine but you won't see pesto on many a pizza over here. Sweetcorn.. why. Its so starchy. Its like potato, there is a base for that. I feel like we live in two different worlds!

Last edited:

All that other weird stuff you lot put on Pizza and you don't have sweet corn on them?

I'm learning a lot in this thread

What exactly do Europeans put on a pizza? Seems the options are fairly limited then? I mean, no pineapple, no avocado, apparently not even origanum?

Lots of stuff just not crap traditionally.

Which doesn't seem a problem in SA glad I stuck to Burger and steaks (also had the best milkshake I have ever had In Cape Town) when I last went there.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say sweetcorn is a common toppings in Europe. I guess the biggest difference is the type of cheeses they use. Some people like truffles, but i wouldn't say it's common.
Oregano is quite common with pizzas that include sliced tomatoes. So is garlic, tons of it. Prosciutto is great when combined with the right chese. It can make or break a pizza. Basil is pretty common, too.
I saw a few pizzas with eggplants on them. Still recovering from that. Same with eggs (think carbonara).
I have mixed feelings about artichokes.
I've seen tuna a few times, but i wouldn't say it's common.

Another thing that divides the pizza world in my experience is the inclusion of olives.
Three questions come to mind (my pov in brackets):

Yes or no? (depends on the type of pizza but yes)
Black or green (depends on the cheese and toppings used)
With or without nut? (if you pick the latter please kill yourself)

Don't even suggest sliced olives. Just don't.

I wouldn't say sweetcorn is a common toppings in Europe. I guess the biggest difference is the type of cheeses they use. Some people like truffles, but i wouldn't say it's common.
Oregano is quite common with pizzas that include sliced tomatoes. So is garlic, tons of it. Prosciutto is great when combined with the right chese. It can make or break a pizza. Basil is pretty common, too.
I saw a few pizzas with eggplants on them. Still recovering from that. Same with eggs (think carbonara).
I have mixed feelings about artichokes.
I've seen tuna a few times, but i wouldn't say it's common.

Another thing that divides the pizza world in my experience is the inclusion of olives.
Three questions come to mind (my pov in brackets):

Yes or no? (depends on the type of pizza but yes)
Black or green (depends on the cheese and toppings used)
With or without nut? (if you pick the latter please kill yourself)

Don't even suggest sliced olives. Just don't.

Nuts- seriously? I've never seen it and the thought hasn't even occured to me. What would you put alongside nuts on a pizza?

Also deep dish or thin crust?

I know quite a few people who have Sweetcorn on pizzas (Alot more than Pineapple).
I don't really have it as i'm not a big fan of Sweetcorn.

I don't mind Oregano but hate it when the pizza is basically covered in it.
Have never seen eggplants on pizza sounds like a typical continental European think though

Never had olives on a pizza before and doubt I will TBH.

Side note anyone else have mayonnaise with pizza (Not as a topping but dip)?

Thin crust for me but I think both are pretty popular here.

I would mock your suggesting a mayonaise dip but one of our bigger SA pizza outlets have a choice of base where the sides are folded over and stuffed with cheese griller sausages.

Olives are a personal favorite of mine TBH. Dark juicy Calamata olives. They bring out the flavor of most other toppings so well. Depends on the cheese and other toppings though.

Thin crust for me but I think both are pretty popular here.

I would mock your suggesting a mayonaise dip but one of our bigger SA pizza outlets have a choice of base where the sides are folded over and stuffed with cheese griller sausages.

Olives are a personal favorite of mine TBH. Dark juicy Calamata olives. They bring out the flavor of most other toppings so well. Depends on the cheese and other toppings though.

Yeh i go for Thin crust on the whole find deep dishes to be too doughy if done wrong.

Love my Garlic mayo dip on the side. Our Pizzas huts here had a hot dog crust.

Might have to give olives a go.

My cousin has tuna on his pizza.

Yeh i go for Thin crust on the whole find deep dishes to be too doughy if done wrong.

Love my Garlic mayo dip on the side. Our Pizzas huts here had a hot dog crust.

Might have to give olives a go.

My cousin has tuna on his pizza.

i love garlic mayo on near enough anything so I'll give it go if you give olives a go.

Ja, I've never been big on seafood pizzas. Shrimp if anything. Maybe anchovies but they almost don't count IMO- nothing but salt bombs those little buggers.

This thread have turned into gourmet thread?. Haha, nice.....

Never had olives on a pizza before and doubt I will TBH.

Side note anyone else have mayonnaise with pizza (Not as a topping but dip)?

My housemate has tons of the **** as a dip. I prefer BBQ sauce for the crust, or no sauce at all.

I don't like olives at all but black olives are quite a common topping in France - as are Pizza vans, there's a couple in the village where my parents live, it's quality.
They love cracking an egg onto the pizza as well.

Pizza huts here had a hot dog crust.
I tried it from Dominos a month or two ago. At first I thought it was an absolute game changed, but it gets a bit much after a while.

i love garlic mayo on near enough anything so I'll give it go if you give olives a go.

Ja, I've never been big on seafood pizzas. Shrimp if anything. Maybe anchovies but they almost don't count IMO- nothing but salt bombs those little buggers.

You know what i would be willing to give Olives ago.

My housemate has tons of the **** as a dip. I prefer BBQ sauce for the crust, or no sauce at all.

I don't like olives at all but black olives are quite a common topping in France - as are Pizza vans, there's a couple in the village where my parents live, it's quality.
They love cracking an egg onto the pizza as well.

I tried it from Dominos a month or two ago. At first I thought it was an absolute game changed, but it gets a bit much after a while.

Yeh saw the dominos one just didn't think it looked that nice. A bit of a novelty i guess more than anything.

Egg on a pizza is def a weird idea.

BBQ sauce is a solid choice as well. I really wanted to like the cheesey stuff crust they do at Dominos and Pizza hut but always found it to be a bit meh.

What exactly do Europeans put on a pizza? Seems the options are fairly limited then? I mean, no pineapple, no avocado, apparently not even origanum?

Europe's a big, hugely diverse place. My guess would be that most English people's idea of pizza is pretty much in line with the typical mainstream American pizza parlour - think Dominos. The list of topping they offer:

Baby Spinach
Chicken Breast Strips
Cumberland Sausage
Domino's Herbs
Garlic Butter
Green and Red Peppers
Ground Beef
Ham
Jalapeno Peppers
Mushrooms
Olives
Pepperoni
Pineapple
Pork Meatballs
Red Onions
Smoked Bacon Rashers
Sriracha Sauce
SunBlush® baby plum tomatoes
Sweetcorn
Tandoori Chicken
Tomato
Tuna

Other chains and independent takeaways will offer pretty much the same thing. There are outlets that claim to be more authentic, but I suspect the vast majority aren't and there's the more hipster end of the market that will serve you whatever they think is fashionable on something that makes it awkward to eat for more money than it's worth!

It's a real shame that the idea of sprinkling a few herbs on top is too exotic or complicated for the main stream in England, it's crazy what a difference it makes. Oregano is isn't used that much here, where tomatoes are involved, if there's any herb around, it will be basil 9 times out of 10.

Having sounded holier than thou, I'll come clean. One of my guilty pleasures in life is my local takeaway's doner meat pizza. They come with two additional toppings, I usually go for ham and onion (needs something to cut through the fat and salt). To any sort of pizza aficionados, it could barely be described as a pizza, but it hits the spot after a belly full of beer and at 2 for £10 on a Tuesday night, it has been known to feed me the next day too!

Have to say - it's news to me that Oregano is uncommon up here - I use it all the time. I just wouldn't consider it a Pizza topping - it's part of the sauce that's the very first layer. Saying that we don't use oregano (to me) is like saying we don't use garlic, or thyme etc; it's so integral as to not be worth mentioning.

Maybe that's just another reason for me to never eat bought pizza.

Nuts- seriously? I've never seen it and the thought hasn't even occured to me. What would you put alongside nuts on a pizza?
Brie based, a hint of honey and bit of nuts (generally crushed walnuts) on top.

Its a controversial pizza. Not my cup of tea but it s not bad at all.

Southerner status confirmed.

I bet you also dip your chips in it, you savage.

You're at the chippy: Gravy or Curry Sauce or just S&V?

Ketchup/mayonnaise/whatever else weirdos have is not in the equation here.

I always used to be a plain kinda guy, but when I moved to Wales I got into curry sauce and never looked back.
Never been much for gravy - OK if you're having a sausage or something, but my Dad (Northern) has it on fish which is just...no

You're at the chippy: Gravy or Curry Sauce or just S&V?

Ketchup/mayonnaise/whatever else weirdos have is not in the equation here.

I always used to be a plain kinda guy, but when I moved to Wales I got into curry sauce and never looked back.
Never been much for gravy - OK if you're having a sausage or something, but my Dad (Northern) has it on fish which is just...no

Chips, mushy peas and gravy is the dogs ********

Latest posts