• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby play-offs: Stormers - Sharks in Cape Town (28/07/2012)

Really?

The battle the Sharks win:

Beast - Kitshoff
Bismarck - Liebenberg
Coetzee - Elstadt
Kankowski - Fourie

Those are the only certain wins for the Sharks in one-on-one match-ups to be honest. Pietersen-Aplon is too close to call. Same goes for Ludik-Pietersen and Daniel-Kolisi.

Stormers look a lot stronger than expected.

LOL, somehow I almost feel flattered.

I'd say 1 to 3 we are some way behind.
At 4 Alberts is coming off a dominant performance whereas Etzebeth (though I'd pick him in the long run) is coming off an somewhat extended injury lay-off..
I'd say right across the backrow we are outgunned as well except for Kolisi. For a make-shift backrow combination there is actually some balance for us for a change and the fact that the Sharks don't have an out-and-out openside gives me some added hope.

I'd give the Sharks an edge in the halves as well even if ours are arguably more... consistent or dependable.

Centers we have an edge and should have a good edge with Bosman there LOL!!

Outbacks I think is pretty even while I rate Ludik higher than J Pietersen I do rate both Aplon and Habana higher than Mvovo though slightly lower than JP Petersen.

The battle is won up front and in the line-outs. This is impossible to call, really. I am happy with the current form of Daniel, Kankowski, Pietersen, Ludik, Coetzee and Beast, while Bismarck never has a bad game. The question is however, if McLeod stops his tricks and has a decent game for once. Bosman is due for a good performance so this is the moment for him while Bresler has a point to prove against Bekker. I might sound biased but I think Bresler deserves a Bok call-up with his performance over the season.

"lol I somehow almost feel flattered"

about the same thing the girl I asked in the gym out said...

:p

As a neutral I have no idea who I think will win this!

The Sharks have a clear edge in the front-row, but I think the Stormers have the better locking combination, even if Etzebeth is just returning from injury. Alberts was pretty good at lock versus the Reds, but it will be interesting to see how he goes at lock against a team that will actually match the Sharks in the forwards. The Sharks look to have an edge in the loose-forwards (it helps they have 4 of them!). The make-up of the forward packs probably gives a good indication of how the team will play: the Sharks effectively have 4 tight-forwards and 4 loose-forwards, while the Stormers have 6 tight-forwards and 2 loose-forwards (or you could argue 7 tight-forwards and 1 loose-forward if you consider Elstadt is equally comfortable at lock!).

I think the Stormers have the better halves paring. I've got a lot of time for Duvenhage (and don't really rate McLeod), and I'd take the consistent Grant over the undoubtedly more talented - but far more erratic - Michalak. The Stormers also have a massive advantage in the centres - I'm a bit disappointed that I won't get to see Jordaan again this week, as he is very impressive. I think it is pretty even out wide In my opinion these are the 4/5 best wings in South Africa (along with Basson). It is interesting going through the backline 'man-for-man' I think the Stormers have a better backline, but because of their conservative style of play they probably don't get the best out of the numerous attacking threats they have...

As I can't really decide which team looks the strongest I will pick the Stormers by 5, due to their home advantage.

Last edited:
As I have all season, I will back the Sharks, And I think the decision to put Alberts at lock is a smart one. The four Sharks loosies [Alberts, Kankowski, Coetzee and Daniel] offer too much to their team to be left off the park. I think this move by Plumtree will give other coaches ideas of including their own loosies at lock rather than having them off the park. Most the loose forwards are tall enough for lineout duties and do just as much work so I say why not..

The Sharks have the upperhand in the loose forwards as a unit, even though I rate Kolisi, the Sharks loose forwards are just so dangerous. They also have the upperhand in the front row where Bismark is just phenominal, he's like another loose forward and JP Pietersen is in great form going into this match. So I'm going to stick with my heart and my head and go with the Sharks -12.

Im going for the Stormers, really good side with a lot of my favourite players in there.

I just lost 1 million... But imagine if the Sharks win by 7+!!!

Man of the Match on Saturday:

2ym9ct1.png

Couldn't resist ;)

great artwork, just get rid of the chaps in the background

where Bismark is just phenominal

yip he must be the best hooker in the world :D on a serious note...

if the stormers can keep bismark out of the game they have a chance, easier said than done...
i would prefer the sharks to win, not to take a homefinal away from the Stormers or to give an advantage to the chiefs.... but because i feel the shark play better overall game than the stormers, who sit back "park the bus" and hit the counter...yes bite me...

the stormers will be fresh after a week bye and the poor sharks will be tired after the travels... you could see the saders tire in the 2nd half today and the saders where home, no real traveling required... so i hope the sharks will have the energy... cuz they play attacking rugby, running rugby and they bring that intensity to the game... like they did in the game vs the stormers in Durban earlier this year... so i hope "rugby" wins and not the BUS... will be my luck if after this post, the sharks end up parking the bus and stormers run the ball :D

I need a win guys! If the Sharks win, a will pay for drinks!

At the pub now. Will be back in a couple of hours haha. Sorry for not getting regular scoring and play updates today

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Wow Etzebeth just ran over Du Plessis. Now up 3-0 Peter Grant has become money in the back with his goal kicks.

Surely when the bloke was taken in the air, in the ruck that followed, in front of the touch judge the ball was clearly knocked on, so it should never really have resulted in that try.

Latest posts