• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Hurricanes - Chiefs in Wellington (13/07/2012)

What.a.game!

The Chiefs and close tough and exciting nail biters this season. Dave Rennie is a damn good coach.

Guh. And that is why I hate the NZ conference. Now the Chiefs don't get the home final, and the Canes still need a miracle to get into the playoffs. Nobody benefits, except the Stormers. :-/

And you think it will be different in other conferences? You really think the Cheetahs (against the Sharks), Lions (against the Bulls) and Waratahs (against the Reds) will go easy so their fellow-conference team can make the play-offs?

And you think it will be different in other conferences? You really think the Cheetahs (against the Sharks), Lions (against the Bulls) and Waratahs (against the Reds) will go easy so their fellow-conference team can make the play-offs?

As a Canes fan I hope not! Go the Cheetahs, Lions and Waratahs!! :p

Hmm, you have a point. I guess I'm just upset that pretty much all the recent matches between NZ teams (Crusaders v. Hurricanes, Chiefs v. Crusaders, this game) haven't gone the way I wanted them to.

Definitely a great game to watch for a neutral! I do feel that the Chiefs got sucked into playing the expansive Hurricanes game, rather than sticking to the game-plan that has been so effective for them all season. Not sure what to make of that last TMO decision - I couldn't see the ball grounded from any angle, so I'm slightly surprised the TMO awarded a try. I will have to have a good look at the replay again!

Last edited:
Great game to watch and as a Stormer supporter I am over the moon with the result as we havn't been able to score 4 tries in a single game so far this season. Winning a game isn't a problem though and I cant see us slipping against the Rebels at home.

Good on the Hurricanes for their enterprising play and they can very easily still make the play-offs. Lions have two wins in a row against the Sharks and Rebels and won't make it easy for the Bulls if they let the Lions at all into the game. Cheetahs are always a threat- nearly toppling the Stormers last week- and wil be throughing everything at the Sharks. So its still all to play for till the last game and that's great!

Don't forget the Waratahs playing the Reds... It's actually a big coincidence that apart form the log-leading Chiefs, all the other teams in contention of the play-offs, play at home this weekend. Stormers, Brumbies, Crusaders, Bulls, Sharks, Reds and Hurricanes all play in front of their home-fans on the final day.

Great game, thanks to the Canes for doing us a favour :p.

Don't forget the Waratahs playing the Reds... It's actually a big coincidence that apart form the log-leading Chiefs, all the other teams in contention of the play-offs, play at home this weekend. Stormers, Brumbies, Crusaders, Bulls, Sharks, Reds and Hurricanes all play in front of their home-fans on the final day.

Reds will probably struggle to pick up a bonus point against a pretty decent 'Tahs defense. If they do score 5 log points the Sharks and Bulls will know exactly what they need to do beforehand and have their destiny in their own hands. Both should be able to pick up a bonus point if it all rides on it; kick for the corners instead of the posts and sooner or later the Cheetahs and/or Lions will crack IMO to determined Sharks/Bulls teams.

The crazy thing (which I'm hoping for seeing as the Crusaders have home advantage over the Stormers in Newlands) is that if the Force beat/draw the Crusaders we might actually see only the Chiefs going through from NZ.

I never really understood why a lot of people in Cape Town always support the All Blacks and Crusaders when playing the Boks or local team. I know why they did it 25 years ago, but come on! Times have changed.

I never really understood why a lot of people in Cape Town always support the All Blacks and Crusaders when playing the Boks or local team. I know why they did it 25 years ago, but come on! Times have changed.

Port Elizabeth as well, right?
If you watch the Tri Nations test from last year that was held there, you can see a few All Blacks supporters belting out the SA anthem.

By the way, cheers Canes... Now we can't slip up against Naka's heart and soul rugby team.

That is most likely the best way to describe it. It's weird though, because in Durban it's different.

It's bandwagoning due to no sense of identity.
and It's mostly the colored community. Don't worry, better to just ignore them as don't count for much but gangsterism and kakmaak - not all though

But here where I stay two serious Bull supporters also support the All Blacks - one for reverse political reasons (quotas enforced)and other one caused he hated first Percy Montgomery, then John Smith and is not changing now - shame, they watch the majority of rugby alone in any case.
Guess you will get pockets of idiots nation wide. As long as they don't support some other team...

and It's mostly the colored community. Don't worry, better to just ignore them as don't count for much but gangsterism and kakmaak - not all though

But here where I stay two serious Bull supporters also support the All Blacks - one for reverse political reasons (quotas enforced)and other one caused he hated first Percy Montgomery, then John Smith and is not changing now - shame, they watch the majority of rugby alone in any case.
Guess you will get pockets of idiots nation wide. As long as they don't support some other team...
Without starting political debate, what's wrong with them supporting the All Blacks based on some horrible treatment years ago? You can't expect people to get over something like that quickly. Put yourselves in that situation and see what it would be like.

Quite frankly, maybe ask yourselves if the times really have changed all that much - is there really no more backhanded/blatant racism in SA these days? Obviously they wouldn't be expressing their discontent like that without some merit...

Regardless why they're doing it, they're certainly not idiots for doing so to make a valid political statement.

Yeah well some Cantabrians here said they would support Australia under Robbie Deans. I don't think they would do that now though. You always get that minority. Personally, I live in a simple world where you should support your country no matter what. The race issues should be put in the past and have to be if South Africa is going to move forward as a country.

I saw the scenes at the airport in PE when the All Blacks arrived, whatever the reason those guys are clearly genuine rugby supporters, not just politicos. Good luck to them.

Well, the lads doing so are young guys, in their twenties or even younger. What is there to get over for them? They never experienced the period where apartheid drove people towards supporting the All Blacks.

I don't want to have a whole debate about apartheid, because everything about that has been said, it's just that I find it a bit childish to be honest. Supporting the All Blacks is not an issue, it's just the reason they do it that is bothering me. It's been 20 years already... People should learn to let things go after 2 decades.

Without starting political debate, what's wrong with them supporting the All Blacks based on some horrible treatment years ago? You can't expect people to get over something like that quickly. Put yourselves in that situation and see what it would be like.

Quite frankly, maybe ask yourselves if the times really have changed all that much - is there really no more backhanded/blatant racism in SA these days? Obviously they wouldn't be expressing their discontent like that without some merit...

Regardless why they're doing it, they're certainly not idiots for doing so to make a valid political statement.

First of all:

In my class when I was 16/17 (I'm 19 now) almost all the colored kids (except one or two) supported the Crusaders/All Blacks, Apartheid (I had history) started ending in the 1980's, there was lots of civil uprisings and bloodshed but strangely it was mostly in the North and was the ANC against the IFP (Didn't know that did you? much more bloodshed than anything else that happened). Even if you argue okay Apartheid ended in 1994, then most of these kids were 3 or 4. For ####'s sake Apartheid is in the past, now our useless and RACIST government - Yes I said it, and it is true - still uses Apartheid as an excuse *spits* They have had since 1994 to change things, yet the number of schools in South Africa have DECREASED! There is nothing for our current youth generation to "get over" hell if you aren't white it counts in your favor to get a job, if you're black you're guaranteed a job!

The funny thing is I'm not even a racist, I'm just someone who's fed up and ###ing sick of this Apartheid bs being brought up as an excuse for everything. Yes it was horrible, yes a lot of people died. Like the ANC was completely innocent blowing up churches and planting bombs in shopping malls. I can bring that up can't I, or I can bring up the farmers being killed by the hundreds in the Transvaal? Or I can bring up how our government's youth league are saying whites must make ready for war and we must be driven out of this country by force?

We even had a bloody failed Truth and Reconciliation thing which helped buggerall, and I'm just plain sick and I won't take any of this bullshit nonsense anymore. I actually have empathy for black youth back in the 70's, is this how they have felt? So hopeless?

What political statement would that be? Because of **** that happened 20 years ago that we weren't involved in, we are going to support the All Blacks and Crusaders because screw South African teams because ... uhmm... ??????

I will stand up for what I believe in, times have changed. Screw this bullshit, we're being pushed to the utter edge here in SA. I had nothing to do with Apartheid, nor did my parents or their parents or their parents. So tell me why do we still have hordes of poor black people in townships, uneducated and illiterate while our ministers drive shiny sportscars and buy private jets? Why do I see each day when I drive around town 10 guys digging a hole, 8 of them look at the other 2 digging it. Why do I see everything being blamed on Apartheid. It's a ###ing joke.

There is backhanded and blatant racism in SA, you're completely right, but it's against the other side now. They're even calling for our blood up in the North. People should stop complaining about the past that had nothing to do with them and start working. Every damned person in this country has the "my people has been wronged in the past so give me everything I want without me having to work for it - mentality"

This isn't aimed at you admartian, you're a cool oke, but statements like that grind my balls.

EDIT: oops just saw I did exactly what you wanted to avoid, a political debate, my bad. Sorry mate.

Last edited:

Latest posts