• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Hurricanes - Chiefs in Wellington (13/07/2012)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Super%20Rugby.png

Wellington Regional Stadium, Wellington
Hurricanes.png
Versus%20Super.png
Chiefs.png

Referee: Jonathan Kaplan
Referee: Garratt Williamson
Referee: Keith Brown
Referee: Mike Fraser

Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Where? I thought you didn't like using sponsors names - or does that only apply to South African Stadiums? ;)

Anyways - massive game for both teams. Canes team:
1. Reg Goodes, 2. Dane Coles, 3. Ben May, 4. Jeremy Thrush, 5. Jason Eaton, 6. Faifili Levave, 7. Jack Lam, 8. Victor Vito, 9. Chris Eaton / Frae Wilson, 10. Beauden Barrett, 11. Julian Savea, 12. Tim Bateman, 13. Conrad Smith (c), 14. Cory Jane, 15. Andre Taylor.
Replacements: 16. Motu Matu'u, 17. Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, 18. James Broadhurst, 19. Brad Shields, 20. Wilson/Jamie Nutbrown, 21. Tusi Pisi, 22. Jayden Hayward.

Great for the Canes to have Vito and Jane back. Surprised not to see Shields starting ahead of Levave, as I think the Canes need the physicality that Shields provides (and I'm not really a huge fan of Levave). I would have liked to see Broadhurst start ahead of Thrush too, but he seems to be stuck on the bench. It will be interesting to see what the Chiefs side looks like...

EDIT: Chiefs side:
Full team: Toby Smith, Hika Elliot, Ben Tameifuna, Craig Clarke (c), Brodie Retallick, Liam Messam, Tanerau Latimer, Kane Thompson, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Aaron Cruden, Robbie Robinson, Sonny Bill Williams, Jackson Willison, Lelia Masaga, Andrew Horrell.Reserves: Mahonri Schwalger, Sona Taumalolo (50th Chiefs match), Michael Fitzgerald, Sam Cane, Brendon Leonard, Asaeli Tikoirotuma, Tim Nanai-Williams.

A couple of changes for the Chiefs too. Taumalolo played well last week, but it is good to see Smith back starting. Hopefully having Clarke and Thomson back will help the Chiefs lineout (and improve them in a number of other ways too). Slightly surprised to see Latimer back starting at 7 - I'd have preferred Cane, but there is no doubt Cane offers more impact from the bench.

Good to see Willison back at centre, Horrell back at fullback, and Masaga back starting on the wing. There is one very strange decision though - playing Robinson on the wing. Robinson is a very poor defender - he was an embarrassment the few times he was used on the wing for the Highlanders last season (after coming off the bench). I can't understand him starting over either Tikoirotuma or Nanai-Williams - Cory Jane could well have a field day!

Last edited:
Ah man! I didn't know Westpac was a sponsor name.

:D Westpac is a bank here. To be fair it is probably not as obviously a sponsor as Coca-Cola is...

Now time for me to check all your other threads to see whether you have included sponsors names... I am such a prick at times ;)

Last edited:
Bring it on! I am pretty sure Canberra, Rugby League and Lang Park are not sponsor-names ;)

Chiefs win, that's what I am going for. Waratahs to win too by the way.

they Are interesting changes for the chiefs.

not suprised the wingers have been swapped out, was not the strongest of games for Nanai & Tiko last weekend. In moving Robinson to the wing I think they are just trying to get their best players onto the park by accommodating Horrell, Willison and Robinson

As an actual #8 I think Bradley is better but Kane maybe seen as more of a lineout option and they need to come back strong in that area.

Latimer starting is no big deal though Cane Bolted into the All Blacks this year latimer is still top of the pecking order at the chiefs and has been having I think his best season.

Smith for Sona - I see smith as the first choice #1 anyway. Just better at the core roles.

Chiefs really want a bonus point win. It will secure top spot and though I will be a bit gutted that the canes don't make the playoffs home advantage for NZ teams is more important than "just sneaking in".

Canes will be tough and desperate, they have had an epic year and I think deserve to be in the playoffs as I think the most exciting team to watch this year.

I also think these two teams would have to go down as 2012's most improved teams from 2011.

they Are interesting changes for the chiefs.

not suprised the wingers have been swapped out, was not the strongest of games for Nanai & Tiko last weekend. In moving Robinson to the wing I think they are just trying to get their best players onto the park by accommodating Horrell, Willison and Robinson
Robinson didn't exactly have a great game last week though - I'd pick Nanai-Williams or Tikoirotuma over him any day. While Robinson certainly has shown some signs of improvement this season he is still weak in defense, and completely unfamiliar with wing - I'm sure Cory Jane will be delighted about matching up against him!

As an actual #8 I think Bradley is better but Kane maybe seen as more of a lineout option and they need to come back strong in that area.
At ITM Cup maybe, but Bradley has struggled with the step-up to Super rugby this season. He really lacks any pace/dynamism, and I thought he was very poor last weekend - he was completely ineffective with ball in hand and made a number of errors. I'm still not convinced that Thomson is a great number 8 at Super Rugby level either, but he has been solid this season, and does off another great lineout option as you mention.

Latimer starting is no big deal though Cane Bolted into the All Blacks this year latimer is still top of the pecking order at the chiefs and has been having I think his best season.

Smith for Sona - I see smith as the first choice #1 anyway. Just better at the core roles.

Chiefs really want a bonus point win. It will secure top spot and though I will be a bit gutted that the canes don't make the playoffs home advantage for NZ teams is more important than "just sneaking in".

Canes will be tough and desperate, they have had an epic year and I think deserve to be in the playoffs as I think the most exciting team to watch this year.

I also think these two teams would have to go down as 2012's most improved teams from 2011.

Agree entirely with all this though!

I actually think wing is in a way a less demanding position defensively than fullback. So I don't see an issue with this move from that point of view. I think his defense is ok but he's not very big and fullbacks I think need some bulk to be able to stop players before the line. Defending on the wing at least you have the sideline to work with and cover to help. As a 15 you usually have to make tackles that the front line and cover have missed.

Tiko did take a shoulder knock last week, maybe something in that.

I agree last weeks game wasn't Bradley best but of course I didn't base my statement just on that game he has had a couple of really good showings, it was likely his first game against the Crusaders pack and he will learn from that. Kane has not been super impressive but the chiefs have been winning games with him playing #8 and he has been a part of some "good pack efforts" which suggests that he's doing something right.

I still find it strange that Lee is totally off the radar.

I actually think wing is in a way a less demanding position defensively than fullback. So I don't see an issue with this move from that point of view. I think his defense is ok but he's not very big and fullbacks I think need some bulk to be able to stop players before the line. Defending on the wing at least you have the sideline to work with and cover to help. As a 15 you usually have to make tackles that the front line and cover have missed.

I agree last weeks game wasn't Bradley best but of course I didn't base my statement just on that game he has had a couple of really good showings, it was likely his first game against the Crusaders pack and he will learn from that. Kane has not been super impressive but the chiefs have been winning games with him playing #8 and he has been a part of some "good pack efforts" which suggests that he's doing something right.

Doesn't fit in with their style of play and what they go for in loosies. To give myself some praise and acknowledge my own insight; before the squads were named I picked that Bourke would miss out and Lee wouldn't see much of the field based on the style of play Rennie goes for.

I do agree with that, but I think it is far easier to exploit a player with a defensive weakness when they are playing on the wing rather than at fullback. In a strong defensive team (like the Chiefs) your fullback shouldn't really be making that many tackles - they should only be making tackles as a last resort. For example Robinson has apparently made 22 tackles this season, while Nanai-Williams and Tikoirotuma have made 39 and 40 tackles respectively in very similar amounts of game-time (stats courtesy of foxspotrts.com.au). This suggests that the Chiefs wings make approximately twice as many tackles as their fullback - therefore putting a weak defender (which I believe Robinson is) on the wing isn't really a good idea - especially if they have to mark Cory Jane (or Savea if the Canes switch there wings around a bit as they sometimes do...).

It is interesting how he has been treated this season. He is a very dynamic loose-foward, but doesn't seem to fit into the Chiefs game-plan. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him move to a different franchise next season (I'm picking the Blues).

Where? I thought you didn't like using sponsors names - or does that only apply to South African Stadiums? ;)

Anyways - massive game for both teams. Canes team:
1. Reg Goodes, 2. Dane Coles, 3. Ben May, 4. Jeremy Thrush, 5. Jason Eaton, 6. Faifili Levave, 7. Jack Lam, 8. Victor Vito, 9. Chris Eaton / Frae Wilson, 10. Beauden Barrett, 11. Julian Savea, 12. Tim Bateman, 13. Conrad Smith (c), 14. Cory Jane, 15. Andre Taylor.
Replacements: 16. Motu Matu’u, 17. Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, 18. James Broadhurst, 19. Brad Shields, 20. Wilson/Jamie Nutbrown, 21. Tusi Pisi, 22. Jayden Hayward.

Great for the Canes to have Vito and Jane back. Surprised not to see Shields starting ahead of Levave, as I think the Canes need the physicality that Shields provides (and I'm not really a huge fan of Levave). I would have liked to see Broadhurst start ahead of Thrush too, but he seems to be stuck on the bench. It will be interesting to see what the Chiefs side looks like...

EDIT: Chiefs side:
Full team: Toby Smith, Hika Elliot, Ben Tameifuna, Craig Clarke (c), Brodie Retallick, Liam Messam, Tanerau Latimer, Kane Thompson, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Aaron Cruden, Robbie Robinson, Sonny Bill Williams, Jackson Willison, Lelia Masaga, Andrew Horrell.Reserves: Mahonri Schwalger, Sona Taumalolo (50th Chiefs match), Michael Fitzgerald, Sam Cane, Brendon Leonard, Asaeli Tikoirotuma, Tim Nanai-Williams.

A couple of changes for the Chiefs too. Taumalolo played well last week, but it is good to see Smith back starting. Hopefully having Clarke and Thomson back will help the Chiefs lineout (and improve them in a number of other ways too). Slightly surprised to see Latimer back starting at 7 - I'd have preferred Cane, but there is no doubt Cane offers more impact from the bench.

Good to see Willison back at centre, Horrell back at fullback, and Masaga back starting on the wing. There is one very strange decision though - playing Robinson on the wing. Robinson is a very poor defender - he was an embarrassment the few times he was used on the wing for the Highlanders last season (after coming off the bench). I can't understand him starting over either Tikoirotuma or Nanai-Williams - Cory Jane could well have a field day!

where is perenara? injured?

Sad, since Perenara was one of the most entertaining scrummies this season

Huge crowd expected at the Caketin tomorrow, 20,000 tickets already sold. Really excited as I will be attending the game myself.

I fancy this to be a pretty close game but i've pondered over it the last day or two and I'm swaying towards the Canes. Going to be a great game!

I'm picking the Chiefs to win. The weather forecast doesn't sound too promising, which I think will play into the Chiefs hands due to their superiority up front. I predict the Chiefs by 10-15, though you never know with the Canes!

Latest posts