• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Chiefs vs Highlanders. Waikato Stadium (25/2/2012, 06:35 GMT)

I'm actually keen to see Aaron Smith start for the Highlanders - Cowan has been shocking recently (and Smith is very talented).

I think the ref has been good too - he's been strict at the breakdown, but he has been consistent, and it is pretty clear what he wants the players to be doing..

EDIT: Smith on now. Good

Last edited:
Aye, Cowan was making Leonard look world class (but to be fair Leonrad has had a good game)

Chiefs dropping like flies.... Masaga's knee looks like it could be stuffed.

Afeaki might have broken his forearm, Leonard with a pretty bad hamstring injury as well.
Not good news for the Chiefs.

So Hore has just been subbed off eh?

Honestly can't say I have heard his name discounting the line-outs

Aaron Smith try...

Great chargedown and gather from Rutledge, try for Burleigh, converted by Noakes.
19-23 to the Highlanders.

See, you kick the pen that you're awarded in the 68th and now you could kick to win the game with that penalty now. Bunch of mugs. Rubbish decision-making from Messam.

Chiefs have been dealt a dick hand by the injury gods.

Several players with injuries that look to be fairly long term. :(

See, you kick the pen that you're awarded in the 68th and now you could kick to win the game with that penalty now. Bunch of mugs. Rubbish decision-making from Messam.
They had a few penalties resulting from another in that series, stupid calls.
Well done Highlanders, deserved winners.
Noakes and Toby Smith injured before full time as well.
19-23, Highlanders.

I can't remember such a poor decision by a captain. There were plenty of time to add three more points next. They were dominated in the lineouts, in the breakdown, can't understand why they opted for the lineout instead of kicking 3 easy points...

YES! Good win for the Highlanders, fighting back from 9-19 down.

The injuries will be a big worry for the Chiefs - hopefully they aren't as serious as they look. A few other thoughts:
- Brodie Retllick looked solid on debut, particularly in the lineout
- Messem was good at times, but did lose the ball in contact a couple of times
- Lee was good running in midfield
- Leonard was very good before he was injured. Kerr-Barlow looked sharp too when he came on.
- Cruden/SBW/Kahui looked very good. SBW's work at the breakdown was great, while Kahui made some great hits in defence
- Nanai-Williams and Masaga (before injury) looked good. Nanai-Williams is still better of at fullback in my opinion. Surprisingly (for me) Robinson played ok

For the Highlanders:
- Hore was quiet (but did the basics), but Rutledge made a big impact when he came on. I really like Rutledge coming off the bench with 20 mins left.
- Crosswell looked good at lock, and made a number of powerful runs
- Hardie was reasonably good at 7, and Thomson had a strong game at 6 (and was brilliant in the lineout). Manu was quiet in the first-half, but came into his own in the second with his ball running. I was impressed that he started to throw his weight around in defence too.
- Cowan was poor. Aaron Smith was outstanding - the Highlanders attack was so much sharper with him at halfback, as he delivers the ball so quickly and cleanly. I would like to see him start next week.
- Really happy with Noakes' debut. He ran the backline well, made a few good runs himself, and kicked his goals. I hope he can keep in up!
- Ellison was superb at centre - he was solid on defence, and a real threat with ball in hand. He should form a good midfield combo with Treeby when he returns.
- Popoalii looked good on debut, particularly in the first half. Gear was pretty quiet - he looked good when he got the ball, but didn't really go looking for work, and his defence was poor at times. Given the Highlanders lack of physicality in the midfield I hope they start using him to hit the ball up a lot more often (for some reason they were using the midget Popoalii in that role at times!). Ben Smith looked class (as always). He didn't make any clean breaks, but always threatened the line and made a lot of 'half-breaks' and looked rock solid in defence/ under the high ball.

Last edited:
Blimmie, we had it at Halftime and we lost it. :s I'm quiet happy about the level of the game. Really enjoyed it. Hopefully Ben's injury isn't that bad. Better luck next week

Good to see the Highlanders at the top of the NZ Conference where they belong (in my slightly deluded mind ;) ).

A slight update on the Chiefs injuries:

"Prop Toby Smith has a calf muscle injury that will keep him out for a lengthy period of time, as will fellow prop Ben Afeaki who broke his forearm.

Wing Masaga strained his knee and it was still not clear just how bad that was. Halfback Brendon Leonard tore a hamstring."

Some big worries there for the Chiefs. I'd assume they will call up Augustine Pulu from their WTG to cover for Leonard. Prop is even more of a concern, as 2/3 remaining props (Cleaver and Tameifuna) have yet to make their Super Rugby debuts. I'd assume they will call up Josh Hohneck from the WTG group, but I expect the Chiefs will be in for some tough times up front over the next few weeks/months.

Last edited:
Rutledge has to be man of the match! Talk about super sub

Rutledge has to be man of the match! Talk about super sub
Yeah, I've always liked Rutledge. Hard worker, gives 100% when playing and a tough lad.
He should start next week, Hore was pretty quiet, in contrast to Jason.

Yeah, I've always liked Rutledge. Hard worker, gives 100% when playing and a tough lad.
He should start next week, Hore was pretty quiet, in contrast to Jason.

While I agree that Rutledge made a great impact on the game, I wouldn't have him starting next week. I like what Rutledge offers around the park, but one of his few faults is that he is a pretty weak scrummager (Hore in contrast is strong at scrum time) - given we are playing the Crusaders next week (who arguably have the best scrum in the competition) we need to have as strong a scrum as possible or we will get destroyed.

I thought Hore was reasonably quiet this week, but he did make a couple of good runs close to the ruck that got us some good go-forward ball (he was our best runner in this channel, along with Crosswell), and did a lot of largely unseen work slowing down the Chiefs ball at the breakdown. I think the role of 'impact player' is ideal for Rutledge, as he is at his best when the game has opened up a bit in the last 20-30 mins (after Hore has helped to wear down the opposition pack).

Didn't know the schedule, fair point. I thought Crosswell had a good performance, he is normally a wing forward, isn't he? He should be a pretty good stand in until Hoeata returns.
Noakes had a composed game, kicked well and did what he could with an untested midfield. I really like Ben Smith at 15 (anywhere, actually). He hits the line well and makes good ground, certainly can see him involved with the AB's this season.

Not sure what happened to the Chiefs. They could have had the match in the bag, but Messam made some stupid calls. 12 minutes is plenty of time to get back into a scoring position, but the temptation to spread it wide when you have Cruden, Williams, Kahui, et al present must be very high. It's all a learning experience for him, and now he will have to accept it and move on.

Didn't know the schedule, fair point. I thought Crosswell had a good performance, he is normally a wing forward, isn't he? He should be a pretty good stand in until Hoeata returns.

The main reason I remember that we have the Crusaders next week is that it is the Highlanders first game in the new stadium.... which I miss as I have a wedding to go to :(

Crosswell is usually a blindside flanker, but used to play lock at age-grade level. He is a similar sort of player to Jarred Hoeata in many ways - not overly flashy, but just does the basics very well (reminds me a lot of how Highlanders coach Jamie Joseph used to play too).

Noakes had a composed game, kicked well and did what he could with an untested midfield. I really like Ben Smith at 15 (anywhere, actually). He hits the line well and makes good ground, certainly can see him involved with the AB's this season.
Excellent... another recruit to the Ben Smith fan club :D

Not sure what happened to the Chiefs. They could have had the match in the bag, but Messam made some stupid calls. 12 minutes is plenty of time to get back into a scoring position, but the temptation to spread it wide when you have Cruden, Williams, Kahui, et al present must be very high. It's all a learning experience for him, and now he will have to accept it and move on.

I certainly think the number of injuries they got disrupted their rhythm somewhat, and the fact that they had been defending for the majority of the game looked like it started to take its toll in the last 20 mins (+ the fact he Highlanders started playing better rugby). It was a game that the Chiefs probably should have won, but it is a long competition so hopefully they will learn from it, and manage to close the game out properly next time (as long as they are not playing the Highlanders...).

EDIT: Another update on the Chiefs injuries - not looking good for them:

Ben Afeaki (broken forearm, 12 weeks)
Toby Smith (calf strain, four-six weeks)
Brendon Leonard (hamstring, eight-10 weeks)
Lelia Masaga (knee strain, three weeks)

Last edited:

Latest posts