• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Chiefs vs Highlanders. Waikato Stadium (25/2/2012, 06:35 GMT)

Ben Smith seems to rarely put a foot wrong, and knows where to go. That, and I don't like Guildford, makes me want to see him play for the All Blacks (actually, I don't!).
Have to start Aaron Smith next week, hopefully Noakes will be fit. Sopoaga isn't a bad young player, I just remember watching his debut last year and feeling both gutted and chuffed for him.

O'Donnell seems to have quite a few fans, and could fill in for the Chiefs on the wing. Mikkelson is a big, rapid lad, is there any chance of him getting a call?

Ben Smith seems to rarely put a foot wrong, and knows where to go. That, and I don't like Guildford, makes me want to see him play for the All Blacks (actually, I don't!).
Have to start Aaron Smith next week, hopefully Noakes will be fit. Sopoaga isn't a bad young player, I just remember watching his debut last year and feeling both gutted and chuffed for him.

O'Donnell seems to have quite a few fans, and could fill in for the Chiefs on the wing. Mikkelson is a big, rapid lad, is there any chance of him getting a call?

I'd expect O'Donnell will start on the right wing next week to fill the void left by Masaga. He has certainly got some talent, but is a complete rookie at this level. The other options within the current squad (Nemani and Tikirotimu) are also rookies at this level. I think Nemani has big future at this level (he's strong, very fast, and a powerful defender), but he's barely even played any ITM Cup level rugby yet.

If they choose to call someone in from outside their current squad (which I don't think they will unless Masaga's injury is far worse than first thought), Mikkelson would be an obvious choice - he has been there before, and is playing well on the Sevens circuit (likewise Frank Halai has looked great on the 7's circuit, but he never seems to perform as well in the XV's game). The other main option would be Ashee Tuala (Counties) - he's another strong player who has been around the Chiefs setup for the last couple of seasons, without ever fully making the step-up into the main squad.

Noakes was MoM for me. I would have gone with Sopoaga too.

It looked to me like they were using Smith & Popoalii as back up first receivers to Noakes. It's a massive strength of Popoalii's to put players in gaps (his 7s background) or if necessary take the tackle himself. It also allows Smith to chime in when he needs to, rather than all the time.

It's a shame the chiefs didn't use Nanai-Williams in the same manner rather than have SBW at first receiver, he's better running off others and then distributing. It also left Kahui rarely touching quality ball.

I would've went Tamaiti Ellison as MoM. Given his late reappearance obvious fitness and timing issues, he still a huge amount of class. It's early to say but I think like Hore & Gear, they've found the perfect team to compliment their abilities.

And even with the Hurricanes this morning - this is shaping up to be a really interesting competition.

It looked to me like they were using Smith & Popoalii as back up first receivers to Noakes. It's a massive strength of Popoalii's to put players in gaps (his 7s background) or if necessary take the tackle himself. It also allows Smith to chime in when he needs to, rather than all the time.

It's a shame the chiefs didn't use Nanai-Williams in the same manner rather than have SBW at first receiver, he's better running off others and then distributing. It also left Kahui rarely touching quality ball.

I would've went Tamaiti Ellison as MoM. Given his late reappearance obvious fitness and timing issues, he still a huge amount of class. It's early to say but I think like Hore & Gear, they've found the perfect team to compliment their abilities.

And even with the Hurricanes this morning - this is shaping up to be a really interesting competition.

Good summary there - agree with all of that (including Ellison for MOM). I too was surprised how little ball Nanai-Williams got at first receiver (as he is very effective there) - Robbie Robinson is another that could have been used a bit more at first receiver rather than SBW.

Anyone else think we looked much better in the second half when we went back to what we did sO well last year and bossed the breakdown, if we can do that we can give our new backs some breathing room to shine

Anyone else think we looked much better in the second half when we went back to what we did sO well last year and bossed the breakdown, if we can do that we can give our new backs some breathing room to shine
Yep, the Highlanders really stepped it up in the second half. Aaron Smith changed the game, he didn't mess around with the ball or throw any intercepts...
The NZ conference has the greatest chance for close contest.

well done to the highlanders the chiefs seemed to be the stronger team for most of the game and on most of the park but the highlanders have to be one of the strongest teams ever in their own 22 and the chiefs did not respect that and kick for goal when they had the chance. If they did that they would have won or at least been in a position where they only needed a penalty or drop goal to win the game and not a try.

Silly stuff.

Strange the chiefs lost but for the most part all the players actually had pretty good games, for me Leonard was the standout and his injury I think impacted the result. At the point he and masanga went down the Chiefs were well ahead, Toby smith went down soon after. I'm sure anyone who watched the game will see what I mean when I say Leonard is the fastest at clearing the ball in the NZ game he attacks the ball and passes it in one motion straight from the ground, no problems with his accuracy either they were pretty much on target.

Messam Looked very Dynamic, some brilliant runs and some huge hits. Lots of energy but he lacked composure at times, gave away a silly penalty which was very unlike him. He looks super fit, obviously spending a lot of time in the gym with sonny bill. he looks like he is in for a big season if he can rediscover the awesome composure he's shown over the last two years.

Have to say I've never seen Craig Clarke look that fit, he looks massive and in super shape. He left the field with a tackle count around 26-28? That is massive...

One of the things I really liked about Mills and one of the reasons he did so well in the game was his ability to always retain possession and deliver clean ball back to his teammates when he received the ball at the back. At least twice in the game Robinson lost the ball in ruck/contact and put the chiefs under pressure. I really don't think he is the 15 the chiefs need, I've been harping on about it for a while. Such a critical position, Robinson is slippy on attack but the chiefs have xfactor everywhere. what they need at 15 is someone to secure possession and defend well, link with the wings.

The man for the highlanders IMO was Jason Rutledge, hore had a pretty quiet game but when Jason came on he lifted the whole team - he was brilliant. He has such amazing skills for a hooker. He will have to go down as one of the best hookers around to not make the All Blacks, you have to wonder what may have been. Surely it's too late now he's mid 30's and the next world cup is over 3 years away I think even if he lacks some size he's twice the player Cory Flynn is. Highlanders also got better when Aaron smith came on. Cowan was played off the park by Leonard. Brendon's injury combined with the injection of Smith also helped shift the mommentum.

Great game though, the chiefs have a LOT they can improve on but the injuries are going to make it very hard. Honestly part of me thinks it's basically season over after it's just started for the chiefs after losing their two frontline props and Leonard to injury. It really hits them where it hurts, hard to see them coming back stronger with wider training group props.

Wow! ... a great start to the Super season ... this game and the Crusaders V Blues game really jolted me awake from my self induced Rugby sleep.

It's a real shame about the injuries, this is where the likes of the Highlanders and Chiefs have problems year after year ue to lack of depth in their squads

Strange the chiefs lost but for the most part all the players actually had pretty good games, for me Leonard was the standout and his injury I think impacted the result. At the point he and masanga went down the Chiefs were well ahead, Toby smith went down soon after. I'm sure anyone who watched the game will see what I mean when I say Leonard is the fastest at clearing the ball in the NZ game he attacks the ball and passes it in one motion straight from the ground, no problems with his accuracy either they were pretty much on target.

I was very impressed with Leonard - I thought he was looking very sharp before injury. Thought he did clear the ball fast, I certainly wouldn't say he is the fastest at clearing the ball in the NZ game - for me that has to be Aaron Smith (by a long way). Not only does he clear the ball quickly, but his passing from the ground is incredibly long and accurate - it was noticeable how much wider Noakes was standing with Smith at halfback rather than Cowan. I honestly think it is time for the Highlanders to make Smith starting halfback, as the backline looks so much better with him at halfback.

The man for the highlanders IMO was Jason Rutledge, hore had a pretty quiet game but when Jason came on he lifted the whole team - he was brilliant. He has such amazing skills for a hooker. He will have to go down as one of the best hookers around to not make the All Blacks, you have to wonder what may have been. Surely it's too late now he's mid 30's and the next world cup is over 3 years away I think even if he lacks some size he's twice the player Cory Flynn is.

I know i'm bias but i would have had him in the world cup squad, everyone was saying how old he was which was a load of rubbish, he needed seven games in his tank, thats all and can you imagine how hard he would have played knowing it was the only seven games he would ever play in a black shirt? not like some of these guys who assume thet have a long career etc so can coast along

I thought it was much cloaser than some seem to think. We had alot of drop ball in the first half which means we had alot of ball

by the way, what was leonard thinking, our player was rolling away, a good meter from the ruck and so he decides to stretch right over him to make his pass? no wonder he did his hammie. If i was more cynical i would say he was looking for a penalty

Last edited:
Smith is good for sure but I dont know how you can say he's faster by a long way.

The way leonard was clearing the ball there was no way anyone would do it faster. Passing straight off the ground as soon as the ball is available is the best technique for speed of delivery. The problem with most 9's is not their speed its the fact they do things like look at their target before they pass, pick up the ball and even take a step or two after they pick it up. Or just stand over it looking around before they touch it. The key is knowing what you are going to do with the ball and where your target is before the ball is available so he executes the plan as soon as it's available meaning that the time is not wasted in possession of the 9 but is available for the 10 to use to kick or execute an attacking plan.

I haven't seen anyone in the top level of the NZ game that does this with the commitment and regularity that Leonard does which is why I made the comment. And I keep harping on about it because Cowan and Elis overall have been shocking in this area for the All Blacks since 2008. I shudder to think what the All Blacks backline could have done with the time these two guys have wasted between them.

yeah I agree Jabby. Rutledge would have been a more than worthy All Black and may have been a better bet than one or two of the guys that have been used in the last 4 years.

I know i'm bias but i would have had him in the world cup squad, everyone was saying how old he was which was a load of rubbish, he needed seven games in his tank, thats all and can you imagine how hard he would have played knowing it was the only seven games he would ever play in a black shirt? not like some of these guys who assume thet have a long career etc so can coast along

I thought it was much cloaser than some seem to think. We had alot of drop ball in the first half which means we had alot of ball

His age was never really a concern for me, as he is probably playing his best rugby of his career. My main concern is his size (or lack-thereof). He is listed at 1.75m (5' 9) on the Highlanders website, but I'd be surprised if he was that tall - I've stood beside him several times and I would be at least 2-3 inches taller than him (and I'm 5'10... on a good day). Coaches never mention that he is a poor scrummager specifically (though I wouldn't expect them too), but when Joseph was asked why he replaced Rutledge with Schwalger at times last year he always said something along the lines of 'we wanted to improve our scrum this week' (and the scrum was much better with Schwalger at hooker). There is no doubt Rutledge is dynamic around the field, but at times I feel he struggles to break the advantage line with ball in hand when running close to the breakdown (but he is effective running a bit wider). I just don't think Rutledge would be as effective at the next level, where the players are bigger, stronger, and faster. Don't get me wrong - I would have been happy if Rutledge had been taken to the RWC ahead of Flynn, as I don't think there is much between the likes of Flynn, Rutledge and Elliot. I just don't think he would be overly effective at test level (though I have no doubt he would give 100%!).

In many ways Rutledge reminds me of David Latta - another great provincial player whose lack of size meant he was (rightly or wrongly) not given a chance at international rugby.

I just like Rutledge. He has always seemed to be one of those players who will give you 100% week in, week out.

I know there were rumblings of Joseph trying to tempt Dane Coles, is there any chance of that still happening? Hore and Rutledge are both good players, but not exactly long term options.

I just like Rutledge. He has always seemed to be one of those players who will give you 100% week in, week out.

I know there were rumblings of Joseph trying to tempt Dane Coles, is there any chance of that still happening? Hore and Rutledge are both good players, but not exactly long term options.

Coles has the potential to develop into a very good player long term - once he realizes the number on his back is back is a 2, not a 12. He has got all the skills, and would certainly be a good addition to the Highlanders, but I wouldn't expect the Canes would let him go given he is now their number 1 hooker (though anything is possible with the Canes). The Highlanders do have a couple of talented young hookers coming through in there Wider training group in Liam Coltman and Brayden Mitchell, who are two of the more promising hookers in the country (NZ Under 20 hookers in 2010 and 2009 respectively). Coltman is particularly promising - he used to be a tighthead prop up until a couple of years ago, and is already considered one of the strongest scrummaging hookers in the country. He's not overly flashy, but gets through a huge amount of work. Mitchell is a talented too, is bit smaller, but far more dynamic.

Smith is good for sure but I dont know how you can say he's faster by a long way.

The way leonard was clearing the ball there was no way anyone would do it faster. Passing straight off the ground as soon as the ball is available is the best technique for speed of delivery. The problem with most 9's is not their speed its the fact they do things like look at their target before they pass, pick up the ball and even take a step or two after they pick it up. Or just stand over it looking around before they touch it. The key is knowing what you are going to do with the ball and where your target is before the ball is available so he executes the plan as soon as it's available meaning that the time is not wasted in possession of the 9 but is available for the 10 to use to kick or execute an attacking plan.

I haven't seen anyone in the top level of the NZ game that does this with the commitment and regularity that Leonard does which is why I made the comment. And I keep harping on about it because Cowan and Elis overall have been shocking in this area for the All Blacks since 2008. I shudder to think what the All Blacks backline could have done with the time these two guys have wasted between them.

Leonard was clearing the ball particularly well in this game (better than usual in my opinion), but I still thought Smith was clearing the ball faster, with more distance, and with more accuracy (though this is a difficult thing to accurately judge). My main issue with Leonard is that he quite often knocks the ball on at the base of the breakdown (it seemed like at least once a game last season), and his passing is often inaccurate (Donald often received the ball above his head / at his feet). It was really disappointing to see him get injured this game, as he wasn't fumbling at the back of the breakdown, and his passing was accurate. If Leonard can re-capture this form when he gets back from injury (in 8-10 weeks) he will be a serious contender for a black jersey this season (though may have some serious competition from Aaron Smith if he continues his form...).

Last edited:
Huge fan of Coltman, if we hadn't snared Hore I would have been happy with him as second hooker

Huge fan of Coltman, if we hadn't snared Hore I would have been happy with him as second hooker

I really rate Coltman too - I just hope he has spent the summer working on his lineout throwing!

if he could throw in the line out he wouldn't be an otago hooker.....

I hope we are plannng for the future and talking to these guys, "hores only on a one year deal so your in next year mate" kind of stuff

Latest posts