• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Chiefs vs Highlanders. Waikato Stadium (25/2/2012, 06:35 GMT)

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Super%20Rugby.png

Waikato Stadium, Hamilton (25/2/2012, 06:35 GMT)
Chiefs.png
Versus%20Super.png
Highlanders.png

Referee: Jonathon White
AR1: Vinny Munro
AR2 : Nick Briant
TMO : Bryce Lawrence

Can't wait for this season to start :D

Can't wait either! This should be a pretty close game too - I haven't been following the Chiefs too closely in the pre-season, but I know the Highlanders have quite a few injury concerns, particularly in the midfield.

Chiefs are my dark horses for 2012. Williams and Kahui together could be scary. HIghlanders seems to have serious injury problem before season kick off already.

I'll make my prediction here when the teams are announced!. But the Chiefs have edged ahead.

vBookie Chiefs-Highlanders

And a vBookie for the Waikato-Otago match as well ;)

looking forward to seeing the Leonard, Cruden, Kahui, Williams combo in action

anyone know if Messam will play? seems he's had leg problems...

The really interesting thing is that this year the players will have like 5 or so games to press for all black selection at the start of the season when normally these games doesn't factor much.

I'd really like to see Leonard get another shot and I like his chances since weepu always starts a season slow and I believe Cowan could be dropped this year after a very poor 2011 with the AB's. Leonard was brilliant last year - Chiefs most consistent back. And a long injury free break will have been really good for him. May also help that Foster & Fox are selectors. I think both know just how good Leonards kicking game is and how important that area is in test footy.

Last edited:

The really interesting thing is that this year the players will have like 5 or so games to press for all black selection at the start of the season when normally these games doesn't factor much.

I'd really like to see Leonard get another shot and I like his chances since weepu always starts a season slow and I believe Cowan could be dropped this year after a very poor 2011 with the AB's. Leonard was brilliant last year - Chiefs most consistent back. And a long injury free break will have been really good for him. May also help that Foster & Fox are selectors. I think both know just how good Leonards kicking game is and how important that area is in test footy.

Larky, you know you can put the Chiefs emblem on your profile?...we all know thats your favourite team.

Anyway, I hope Leonard does well too.

Go Sonny!! and Im going for the Chiefs.

Larky, you know you can put the Chiefs emblem on your profile?...we all know thats your favourite team.

Anyway, I hope Leonard does well too.

Go Sonny!! and Im going for the Chiefs.

Maybe the Chiefs are my fav team I guess though if so it's because a lot of people seem to look down their nose at the chiefs and chiefs players, though I like to follow them all I do find it hard to like the Hurricanes sometimes! But I will be watching the Canes this year because I think Broadhurst could be a bolter for the All Blacks and like pretty much everyone I want to see how Barrett goes. People seem to think it's just a matter of time till josh bekhuis makes the All Blacks. I'm not so sure. Broadhurst looks very good to me, ideal future prospect.

I spent fricken years defending Stephen Donald on Forums and never understood why he got so much hate. Life is much better how he played a key role in winning a world cup - it seemed to shut most of my haters up :)

have to admit though my interest in the chiefs has dropped a bit with Donald out and Cruden in. If Anything I do think I follow players more than teams in terms of picking players that will be all blacks.

I spent fricken years defending Stephen Donald on Forums and never understood why he got so much hate. Life is much better how he played a key role in winning a world cup - it seemed to shut most of my haters up :)

I know, I never hated Stephen Donald. Even when it seemed like the whole country didnt want him in the All Blacks (including me) I knew he was a good player. Too many times In Superugby has he showin us his worth. He'll be missed in the Chiefs.

All your posts Larky are like this..'I LOVE THE CHIEFS' and why not aye brother.

At this stage it still sounds as though Messem is 50/50. If he doesn't start I'd expect to see a loose-trio of Latimer/Waldrom/Lee with Cane on the bench. I personally think Cane is already at least as good as Latimer, but I think Latimer does fill the role of blindside flanker very well, and they may need his experience on the pitch.

As you know I didn't think Leonard was that great last season. Consistent? Definitely. A standout? Not in my opinion. He has in my opinion the best box-kick in New Zealand, is a great cover defender (only exceeded by Cowan in this regard), and the pace to take the gap if one appears. however I thought his clearance at the back of the breakdown for the Chiefs was very messy last season - he made quite a few knock-ons, and his passing, though quick, often failed to find its mark (Donald often had to catch the ball behind him / at his feet / over his head). Obviously being behind the Chiefs pack wouldn't have helped this, but he will need to show some improvement in this area of his game this year. I think Leonard will be under a lot of pressure from Kerr-Barlow to retain the Chiefs starting jersey this season, as Kerr-Barlow has incredible potential.

In terms of AB's options at halfback, I hate to say it but Andy Ellis was our best halfback at the Rugby World Cup. Cowan was quite frankly shocking, and Weepu (despite being hyped up as the greatest player to walk this planet) was decidedly average (apart from kicking a few goals versus Argentina). I agree that Leonard is definitely in contention for the AB's again this, though personally I'd prefer Mathewson (assuming he has done a lot of work on his kicking game in the off-season), and I do think Aaron Smith may force his way into AB's contention this season (especially is Cowan continues on with his RWC form).

do you know what the lastest is on our injuries Darwin?

I'm not worried about loosing the perseason games, i'm worried our first 15 hasn't played together yet.

Leonard definitely deserves mention. He is one of if not THEE most under rated halfback around.. I love watching Leonard play, he's got that, Justin Marshall vibe to him IMO.

do you know what the lastest is on our injuries Darwin?

I'm not worried about loosing the perseason games, i'm worried our first 15 hasn't played together yet.

Are you sure you want to know :( It is not looking too good on the injury front I'm afraid. Last I heard the following players look like they may miss the first game: Fia, King (Kees Meeuws - now scrum coach - was on the bench for the last warm-up game as they were short of tighthead props), Hoeata (out for at least another month), Haskell (not injured, but only just back from Japan), Slade (still struggling with his groin in think?), Treeby, Piutau (out for at least another month - Chiefs WTG member Phil Burliegh in with the squad at the moment as cover), Lynn, Ellison (just returning from Japan - yes we have no midfield back left!), and Poki (knee). That's a third of the squad out before the season has even started !

For the Chiefs game I'd expect a 22 along the lines of:

MackIntosh, Hore, Murray, Bekhuis, Crosswell, Thomson, Hardie, Manu, Cowan, Sopoaga, Gear, Burleigh/Dickson, B Smith, Veainu, Baker
Reserves: Rutledge, Ellison, Rettallick, Tiejtens, A Smith, Noakes, Dickson/Burleigh/Popoalii

EDIT: Just saw this Article in the ODT: basically says everything I've just written down!

have to agree that if the AB's want to pick a half back looking forward to the future then It's head to head between Barlow and Aaron smith. They will both be pushing Leonard & Cowan to start super rugby games

Smith seems very good all round. Barlow has genuine x-factor and loves a dog fight.

I agree Leonards passing has been up and down but I think it has improved with the added competition from Barlow and he does make up for a little lack of quality of ball for being one of if not the fastest 9 to clear the ball from breakdowns.

Wow, I didn't realise the Highlanders had that much people on the injury list. OMG!@

How likely is it that Haskell will start?
I'll admit to not knowing very much about the Highlanders backrow at all!

I hadn't realised the Super XV started back up this weekend, and now I'm very excited :D

How likely is it that Haskell will start?
I'll admit to not knowing very much about the Highlanders backrow at all!

I hadn't realised the Super XV started back up this weekend, and now I'm very excited :D

I don't think Haskell will be in the squad this weekend - I think he only gets into NZ on Wednesday, as he has just finished his club commitments in Japan. When he's back I expect he may get a lot of starts at 7 - not a position that I particularly rate him in, but the Highlanders have Thomson at 6, Nasi Manu (who is very promising) at 8, but no established 7 (though Hardie has some talent). He will certainly get starts at 6 and 8 during the season as well when Manu/Thomson are rested (something they couldn't afford to do last season as they lacked depth in the loose-forwards).

Ah, didn't realise he got in so late - Will be interesting to see how he gets on in Super Rugby.

Latest posts