• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Suggestions/ideas for Rugby 2012

well it depends because you cant hav both a career mode and a manager mode so i suppose you would have to choose

Please AT LEAST have a Pacific Islands Representative team. Use the Roster from the 2008 PI team. If licensing is the issue. Call em the 'Pacific Barbarians'. And of course the ability to edit the Team list.

How about including the USA Super league competition as well the Canadian Rugby Championship teams?

Is there any possibility that more tournaments could be added to the game through downloadable content? tournaments such as the itm cup?

If you cant download any tornaments id say there be create your own tornaments, tri nations etc..... Any updates yets????? Trf can you give out any info on at least somof the animations bout the game like trophy presentations etc abit more reasonable than previous rugby games

If you was to put ultimate team in this game it would be amazing alot of people would get this game just for that not only rugby fans but every one fifa 11 was successful with it please nail this game ive been waiting a long time

GAMEPLAY SUGGESTIONS. :)

QUICK SIDE STEPPING instead of a boring single animation that takes forever to actually break the line, why not make it LIKE an NFL juke, so it can be easier to break the line when isolated.

A HIT STICK lets face it, everyone knows that there are hardcore rugby fans and that there are fans that just watch for the BIG HITS lol. A HIT STICK would be great for the game, it shouldn't be TOO EASY to pull off then again not TOO HARD, so when you do pull it off you get a great hit and if you dont you leave a gap in the defense that the attacking team can exploit.

PASS INDICATOR so when you hold to pass left or right, you can choose who you want to pass to. it lets the game open up and doesn't make it a "catch and pass" style attack like the past few were.

FALLING FOR THE DUMMY ANIMATION when you throw a dummy the cpu tries to go for an interception, which leaves a gap open for you to run through, that too should be balance like the HIT STICK when it comes to executing it.

NEW SHOULDER BARGING AND FENDING ANIMATIONS

BETTER POST TRY CELEBRATIONS

not going to read through 168 pages, so may have been said already.

Ill state out the MUSTS, which they need to have so it will give the game re-playability (in my view)

LICENSED TEAMS AND PLAYERS: realism is key to many gamers. it explains the success FIFA enjoy. So real names, club logos and kits are essential to the gaming experience. As for he leagues/competitions: Not as important but important none the less i.e. like FIFA, could name the Heineken cup the European cup etc.

MANAGER MODE: Vital for single player re-playability. Should follow FIFA 10 in this manner i.e. Should be able to scout young players to replace retiring ones, the players should improve over time, be able to employ staff like fitness (if you have top fitness coach, players will be able to play nearly all matches, otherwise squad rotation is needed), backs coach (determines rate at which backs improve), forwards coach (same as backs), stadium manager (responsible for generating finance), scout (more accurate in determining the overall skill of player)...etc and the better the coach the higher the cost (based on a 1-10 level, but need to employ one level before the next).
For manager mode to work, you need to be able to qualify for the Heineken Cup through league position (because the same teams dont always qualify), therefore need to have magners league, guinness prem, top 14, super 15 (as super 15 has the same teams every year, there is no need to have currie cup or NPC yet...they can develop on that in later games). Also having a budget and wage budget to adjust to buy and sign players. I dont think we need a "be a pro" mode yet....they can develop that later.

TACTICS: being able to design your own set plays in scrums and lineouts is a must. Also being able to decide how tight or expansive or tight you want to play ie play tight like England in 2003 if you have a better pack using keep ball (more people around the ruck..less chance of losing ball/penalties), or creating more chances out wide like New Zealand (team is more spread across the pitch, wingers on touch line etc),...effectiveness should be determined by ability of players and quality of opposition, i think smaller nations would be less expansive. So make it like FIFA, so you can determine a certain % of mixing the two as we as how pressing the defensive line is, how creative (switches etc) the build up play is and how many you commit to the ruck (in defense and attack) etc. (sorry to mention FIFA a lot, but they did perfect the game of football and im not even that mad on football. they are a good standard to work off and can easily implement basic concepts off them)

KICKING: make it a more skillful trait ie dont have a big red line (maybe on easy level) showing where you are going to kick it, make it a free judgement, that goes for conversions, drop goals and grubbers too....this will add real skill and value. also make the animation quicker. was annoying getting tackled mid kick!

AI and GAME DIFFICULTY:...simple..make the game harder!!! I could beat any team with any team...that shouldnt happen!

GAMEPLAY: pretty much said already, but better rucking needed (mis-matches in rucks and out wide...mis-match in ruck results in the team with more forwards than backs in the ruck and a back should make a fool of tight forwards out wide), more tackling animations (half breaks/crunching tackles/clean tackles/double team/off loads etc), close calls ie TMO (adds excitement and realism) for tight corner scores and mauls over the line, quicker sidesteps (for skills like side step and hand offs etc, player should use FIFA idea...hold LT and move R3 in desired direction). need yellow/red cards and blood bin. Need ref to make more mistakes and should be more reasons to penalise players ie in from side, off the feet, holding on etc)

So those are the things I think the game NEEDS to have, and i think everyone will love it and it will have massive re-playability! (all my opinions of course!) the right manager mode, Difficulty and licensing/Leagues are the most important I think. They could build a solid foundation on that and hopefully make it an annual game and improve it from there

Order of importance:
1.full licensing
2.Manager mode
3. Difficulty/AI
4. tactics
5. Kicking
6. TMO etc

I would personally like to see:

British and irish lions...choose who to bring and what country of the tri nations to play, play as either side (multiplayer too + online)

As a super 15 team, choose the players from the region

Have the NPC and Currie cup

A national manager career where you choose the nations to tour, six nations, world cup etc.

Do a barbarians tour...choose nations and players again but having a limit to how many players from one country you can have in your squad and cant have one player selected in both teams (multiplayer too + online)

Northern vs Southern hemisphere match (max 5 players per nation) Online option too....that would be a lot of fun!!!

Heineken cup winner v super 15 winner in manager mode

Last edited:
not going to read through 168 pages, so may have been said already.

Ill state out the MUSTS, which they need to have so it will give the game re-playability (in my view)

LICENSED TEAMS AND PLAYERS: realism is key to many gamers. it explains the success FIFA enjoy. So real names, club logos and kits are essential to the gaming experience. As for he leagues/competitions: Not as important but important none the less i.e. like FIFA, could name the Heineken cup the European cup etc.

MANAGER MODE: Vital for single player re-playability. Should follow FIFA 10 in this manner i.e. Should be able to scout young players to replace retiring ones, the players should improve over time, be able to employ staff like fitness (if you have top fitness coach, players will be able to play nearly all matches, otherwise squad rotation is needed), backs coach (determines rate at which backs improve), forwards coach (same as backs), stadium manager (responsible for generating finance), scout (more accurate in determining the overall skill of player)...etc and the better the coach the higher the cost (based on a 1-10 level, but need to employ one level before the next).
For manager mode to work, you need to be able to qualify for the Heineken Cup through league position (because the same teams dont always qualify), therefore need to have magners league, guinness prem, top 14, super 15 (as super 15 has the same teams every year, there is no need to have currie cup or NPC yet...they can develop on that in later games). Also having a budget and wage budget to adjust to buy and sign players. I dont think we need a "be a pro" mode yet....they can develop that later.

TACTICS: being able to design your own set plays in scrums and lineouts is a must. Also being able to decide how tight or expansive or tight you want to play ie play tight like England in 2003 if you have a better pack using keep ball (more people around the ruck..less chance of losing ball/penalties), or creating more chances out wide like New Zealand (team is more spread across the pitch, wingers on touch line etc),...effectiveness should be determined by ability of players and quality of opposition, i think smaller nations would be less expansive. So make it like FIFA, so you can determine a certain % of mixing the two as we as how pressing the defensive line is, how creative (switches etc) the build up play is and how many you commit to the ruck (in defense and attack) etc. (sorry to mention FIFA a lot, but they did perfect the game of football and im not even that mad on football. they are a good standard to work off and can easily implement basic concepts off them)

KICKING: make it a more skillful trait ie dont have a big red line (maybe on easy level) showing where you are going to kick it, make it a free judgement, that goes for conversions, drop goals and grubbers too....this will add real skill and value. also make the animation quicker. was annoying getting tackled mid kick!

AI and GAME DIFFICULTY:...simple..make the game harder!!! I could beat any team with any team...that shouldnt happen!

GAMEPLAY: pretty much said already, but better rucking needed (mis-matches in rucks and out wide...mis-match in ruck results in the team with more forwards than backs in the ruck and a back should make a fool of tight forwards out wide), more tackling animations (half breaks/crunching tackles/clean tackles/double team/off loads etc), close calls ie TMO (adds excitement and realism) for tight corner scores and mauls over the line, quicker sidesteps (for skills like side step and hand offs etc, player should use FIFA idea...hold LT and move R3 in desired direction). need yellow/red cards and blood bin. Need ref to make more mistakes and should be more reasons to penalise players ie in from side, off the feet, holding on etc)

So those are the things I think the game NEEDS to have, and i think everyone will love it and it will have massive re-playability! (all my opinions of course!) the right manager mode, Difficulty and licensing/Leagues are the most important I think. They could build a solid foundation on that and hopefully make it an annual game and improve it from there

Order of importance:
1.full licensing
2.Manager mode
3. Difficulty/AI
4. tactics
5. Kicking
6. TMO etc

I would personally like to see:

British and irish lions...choose who to bring and what country of the tri nations to play, play as either side (multiplayer too + online)

As a super 15 team, choose the players from the region

Have the NPC and Currie cup

A national manager career where you choose the nations to tour, six nations, world cup etc.

Do a barbarians tour...choose nations and players again but having a limit to how many players from one country you can have in your squad and cant have one player selected in both teams (multiplayer too + online)

Northern vs Southern hemisphere match (max 5 players per nation) Online option too....that would be a lot of fun!!!

Heineken cup winner v super 15 winner in manager mode
I really do like you're ideas especially manager mode and nh vs sh But I imagine hb are nearly in the final stages of making the game since there is only 3-4 months ( then again that is lots of time to do those ideas )

Hi this is my first thread post here on TRF so here we go.

All I want to see is something from the game. A few screen shots, trailer abit of gameplay maybe just something!
The game is due out in less than four months time and there seems to have been little or no ad campaign or hype built up about the game what so ever, some shops and websites haven't even listed that the game is coming out!

Like kohls03 has said in the post above I really hope they put all of the things he has mentioned in the game, I cant see it happening, but that would be epic!

As long as you can do everything that you could do in rugby 08 (tri-nations, primierships super 15 etc) and the graphics and animations are better then I would be happy with it but my concern is that they are just doing a world cup mode.

I want to play as clubs and go through league seasons with a club not just play a few games and win the world cup!
If its just a world cup mode then I will be (and I'm sure many others) very disapointed with the game.

Fifa made a world cup game for the one just gone and i bet the sales on that were gash because no one wants to just keep playing with international teams! especially when the basic fifa games let you make world cups any way!

Please sort it out HB Studios me and many other rugby fans all over the world are looking forward to this game we all need and deserve it for having to what 3+ years for another rugby game.

And can you get some screen shots and gameplay out in circulation as well for **** sake I wanna what the game looks like!

I dont know if this is here but here is an idea

Scrums : Touch,pause,engade
This you can make acording to the ref's voice

Touch - Square
Pause - x
Engade - o
Teams can get free kicks against for engagging to early
I hate the fact that you cant scrum other teams away with these powerbars if you have a great 8 pack for scrumming

One other Suggestion/Question..

Could they implement a function where we could download any DLC via Computer online preferably thru TRF.. Just in case the PSN ever goes offline again in the future.

Also they should put in a team/tournament editor where we could make our own teams/tournaments... and with the function to upload them to the net and others can download them to use... UNLESS of course HB will make future teams and tournaments for us and will upload them for download.

hb if your reading this.. are yous still taking on suggestions and ideas for this rugby game still??

I've just played a game of Rugby 08 and realized why it's so easy to beat. It's because the defense is static in strategy.

Whenever a ruck is formed the AI places its men in one of the 4 defense strategies. instead of calling out men to even the numbers, it stacks them on one side only. I was playing Samoa against SA and I had a ruck formed in the centre of the field slightly left. The AI had it's 3 quarters on the left side, but on the right where I had 3 players he only got one lock. It was clearly a home run from then on.

It's clear that if you want to improve the gameplay, you have to be able to make the AI competitive. Have it rearrange it's lines accordingly, call out men to counter the overlap and so on. I'm tired of the tight, wide, kick, standard strategies. be more dynamic!

Yeh i hope that too. After a while playn 08, you pretty much know certain plays to score a try. The competition will be online for sure! Thats where i wanna prove my gaming skills haha..

Because "I'm a bit nerd when it comes to sports" ( :D ), I'd also like to have some more match statistics in the new game!

no. tackles (players), R/P/K (team and players), line breaks etc... I remember Rugby 2001 has got'em!

Latest posts