• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Starting to hit the gym.

I'm trying to seemingly do the opposite to most people it seems. As it is, I've lost 2kg since last weighing in. That being said, I can lose and chuck that back on almost overnight. I'm already sick of cardio, I was doing a yoyo test as a point to work and build on, I hit the point where I nearly vomited.

One way I've heard of people kicking weight is wearing a black bin bag under their t shirt... apparently works wonderfully.

One way I've heard of people kicking weight is wearing a black bin bag under their t shirt... apparently works wonderfully.

The British Army do it as standard for there boxing teams. Units such as the Royal Anglian regiment with a strong boxing tradition do it in the form of sweat runs. You run in a bin bag T-shirt, hoodie and wool hat. It is all based on burning fat and sweating to death losing fluid to make your weight.

I am sure most modern fitness coaches would have a fit as it's based on fluid loss and can make you very ill but they still do it because yes it works wonders but can be dangeous. Most of the lads that do it have a high standard of fitness to begin with as infantry soldiers, I would not recommend it for people just hoping to lose wieght as a starting point. As soon as you take on fluid the weight starts to go back. So you have to restrict your fluid intake. Having boxed at light weight in the Anglians I would avoid it.

I found this brief article to sum it up.

For decades, many people have used sweat suits, garbage bags or saunas in order to lose weight quickly. You will lose weight in the form of sweat, which is water and electrolytes, but you will gain it back as soon as you eat again or drink water. This myth seems to have spread through the wrestling, boxing, and other sports gyms where guys need to lose a few pounds in order to make a weight class. But sweating excessively has no useful purpose in health weight loss. The dangers of sweating to lose weight are severe -- they include overheating (heatstroke), extreme loss of electrolytes (kidney damage/death), and other cardiovascular related emergencies.

Last edited:
Shameless focus on beachmuscle delts-pecs-abs-biceps today.

In my defence i am recently single and live in a beachside town. This is a neccessity.

Shameless focus on beachmuscle delts-pecs-abs-biceps today.

In my defence i am recently single and live in a beachside town. This is a neccessity.

No need explaining that.

Finding it hard to get results in the chest, especially upper. Been rocking a combination of incine db press and flyes and barbell bench, with clap and regular raised-leg push ups thrown in amongst it for kicks. I want to add some cable work but the machine is always swarming with dudes and i cant be bothered getting in cue.

Any tips for mass lady-killing chest gains?

Finding it hard to get results in the chest, especially upper. Been rocking a combination of incine db press and flyes and barbell bench, with clap and regular raised-leg push ups thrown in amongst it for kicks. I want to add some cable work but the machine is always swarming with dudes and i cant be bothered getting in cue.

Chest press no? I don't know anything really about the gym , I just feel once I am in pain for a good while in a certain area it's working

Benchpress is your main gainer. You hit that hard for 4 sets, as your first and main exercise. Then do some sort of incline work and then finish is off with some fly work either cable or DB's. When I used this I liked to do 3 sets of push ups at the very end, just to get the pump in there. Try and stick with 1 scheme for 4 maybe 6 weeks and don't skip then you should start seeing results. After the 4-6 weeks change it up and give your muscles a shock.

Btw a low bodyfat also makes u look more athletic and shows of your muscles more as theres no fat covering it, but you prolly know that.

Last edited:
Benchpress is your main gainer. You hit that hard for 4 sets, as your first and main exercise. Then do some sort of incline work and then finish is off with some fly work either cable or DB's. When I used this I liked to do 3 sets of push ups at the very end, just to get the pump in there. Try and stick with 1 scheme for 4 maybe 6 weeks and don't skip then you should start seeing results. After the 4-6 weeks change it up and give your muscles a shock.

Btw a low bodyfat also makes u look more athletic and shows of your muscles more as theres no fat covering it, but you prolly know that.

Yeah i see my problem now. I dont go to the gym with a spotter so i dont really push myself on the bench, i dont go above what i can do comfortably without fear of ****ing up and strangling myself. I was trying to counter this by pushing heavy weights on the DB press but maybe that wont work.

I have the option of going to the gym with a few of my mates, but usually turn them down as they are 3 provincial academy props. They all push out 140 on the bench so having to take all the weight off every time i want to use it is just embarrassing..

Also my bodyfat percentage is anorexic levels of low (to do with choosing drinks in town over food for the week quite often), so thats nothing to worry about

I have the option of going to the gym with a few of my mates, but usually turn them down as they are 3 provincial academy props. They all push out 140 on the bench so having to take all the weight off every time i want to use it is just embarrassing..

sorry to jump in, but who cares? first is they are mates it does not matter, they won't care. second most fella's at the gym don't care what you are lifting....it's true, they really really don't.

sorry to jump in, but who cares? first is they are mates it does not matter, they won't care. second most fella's at the gym don't care what you are lifting....it's true, they really really don't.

The fact that they are mates is the problem haha. Im not sure about the culture in Canada, but in NZ any reason to rib your mates is jumped on. They wont actually care deep down, but they will still give me **** and i'd rather not.

The fact that they are mates is the problem haha. Im not sure about the culture in Canada, but in NZ any reason to rib your mates is jumped on. They wont actually care deep down, but they will still give me **** and i'd rather not.

oh hell yeah it's a tough culture here, but who the **** cares. Also, if they hit the gym with convince them to run with you (assuming you can run them into the ground)........at the end of the day you are only cheating yourself.

I don't need the gym I was just born ripped. I'm 5"11 and 130 lbs, basically a complete beast. The ladies will love me some day when I unleash myself. My only tip, pasta and pesto, I literally eat it by the barrel. I've been doing it for two years and have put on 50 lbs of mass, and it's all muscle.

can you explain how you metabolise carbs into muscle?

Stick with what you're doing - if you want to add cable/machine work then cable cross overs are good, but flat bench, incline DB and some flyes should hit it hard enough
Maybe try some decline if you want to mix it up a bit/keep your body guessing

oh hell yeah it's a tough culture here, but who the **** cares. Also, if they hit the gym with convince them to run with you (assuming you can run them into the ground)........at the end of the day you are only cheating yourself.

Haha its just something i would rather avoid but yeah i'll tag along next time around. One of the really sad things is that one of those guys would destroy me on a run. Sometimes life just isnt fair

Latest posts