• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Starting to hit the gym.

Might not be a necessity but eating 6 meals a day is awesome :D

When I bulked I was eating about 8+, it is awesome. :D

Just to clear things up, I'm not saying don't eat 6 meals a day at time intervals, or that it's bad, I just mean it's more important overall to hit your eating targets in whatever way. For example, some people don't have the work hours which suit eating a meal every 2-3 hours.

Disagree how? The whole 6 meals a day thing is not a necessity as long as you're hitting your macros.

Well you dont want to load up on big amounts of carbs 5mins before game time do you?....you time it. Im referring to the comment you made about timing not being a necessity and thats what I disagree on and my reason is valid. Its not about macro and micro nutrients its about your comment underneath...

Eating 6 meals a day at timed intervals isn't a necessity either, meeting or not exceeding your target intake is more important.

Last edited:
Eat something lol, how tall are you? 4 foot 9

You getting a bit of spotting help? Because those are some large numbers for 44kg!

I'm 155cm tall, so not too far off hey.

Didn't bring a spotter along specifically but some people at the gym helped out, it was pretty busy last night.

Well you dont want to load up on big amounts of carbs 5mins before game time do you?....you time it. Im referring to the comment you made about timing not being a necessity and thats what I disagree on and my reason is valid. Its not about macro and micro nutrients its about your comment underneath...

Indeed, eating at those specific times is very important. As your body takes 2 hours to procces everything and store it after those 2 hours you can eat again. And on top of that eating every 2 hours speeds up your metabolism, which makes you shed fat faster and take in proteins faster. There is a reason Bodybuilders have a very strict diet. If you wanna do it right and get results fast do it the right way and don't slack.

*WARNING* The first weeks can be hard on housemates, family etc. As your new high protein and carb intake does cause some 'wind' :p *WARNING*

I would agree about sport, but there you are making the assumption that every person who is dieting is playing sport, I'm not talking in regards to sport, just as a general point in relation to eating.

I would agree about sport, but there you are making the assumption that every person who is dieting is playing sport, I'm not talking in regards to sport, just as a general point in relation to eating.

Ok T-Rex, simple question for ya...

Before "training" (no not sport or game, just training because this thread is about training in the gym and now were on the subject of nutrition) do you load up on carbs and protein 5mins before "training"?....5mins before you plan to hit the treadmill for a bit?....is that really good for you?

Timing of food intake is important and necessary brother when your "starting to hit the gym" (name of the thread), bottom line.

Indeed, eating at those specific times is very important. As your body takes 2 hours to procces everything and store it after those 2 hours you can eat again. And on top of that eating every 2 hours speeds up your metabolism, which makes you shed fat faster and take in proteins faster. There is a reason Bodybuilders have a very strict diet. If you wanna do it right and get results fast do it the right way and don't slack.

*WARNING* The first weeks can be hard on housemates, family etc. As your new high protein and carb intake does cause some 'wind' :p *WARNING*

Nice, well done.

One of the most impressive people for me in the gym is one of Ireland's 2 conditioning coaches. His stats 175kg squat 190kg deadlift (or something in this region) aren't really that impressive for someone like this. Until you find out he's 4 11 and 62kg!

During the 6n Ferris was benching 60kg dumbells and asked him to hand one up to him. No bother to him he bends down picks it up with one hand and gives Ferris his own bodyweight.

Ok T-Rex, simple question for ya...

Before "training" (no not sport or game, just training because this thread is about training in the gym and now were on the subject of nutrition) do you load up on carbs and protein 5mins before "training"?....5mins before you plan to hit the treadmill for a bit?....is that really good for you?

Timing of food intake is important and necessary brother when your "starting to hit the gym" (name of the thread), bottom line.

I am not talking about pre-sport eating. You've got yourself mixed up with the word 'timing'. When I refer to timing, I mean in relation to the 6 meals a day idea, not the timing in regards to consuming a meal prior to playing sport.

Obviously people with sport will structure their meals around sport and eat what they should when they should, but not every single person lifting plays sport.

Take myself for example, my uni schedule varies throughout the week, I don't buy my lunch, so I cannot always guarantee I will eat my 6 meals at the set time. It's not that much of a problem, as long as I hit my eating target for the day. I'm sure there are plenty of other people in the same situation as I am and these people may feel more comfortable knowing their gains are not going to go out the window because their schedule may not work in their favour.

I am not talking about pre-sport eating. You've got yourself mixed up with the word 'timing'. When I refer to timing, I mean in relation to the 6 meals a day idea, not the timing in regards to consuming a meal prior to playing sport.

Obviously people with sport will structure their meals around sport and eat what they should when they should, but not every single person lifting plays sport.

Take myself for example, my uni schedule varies throughout the week, I don't buy my lunch, so I cannot always guarantee I will eat my 6 meals at the set time. It's not that much of a problem, as long as I hit my eating target for the day. I'm sure there are plenty of other people in the same situation as I am and these people may feel more comfortable knowing their gains are not going to go out the window because their schedule may not work in their favour.

Ahhh look its simple as, why are you not answering the question?...why is that?

Do you recommend a person eats carbs and protein 5mins before he TRAINS at the gym NOT playing sport TRAINS (far out I thought you wouldve read that the first time)...please just answer the question should one eat carbs and protein 5mins before he trains or should he time it earlier?...just for our posters to know whats right.

Last edited:
Ahhh look its simple as, why are you not answering the question?...why is that?

Do you recommend a person eats carbs and protein 5mins before he TRAINS at the gym NOT playing sport TRAINS (far out I thought you wouldve read that the first time)...please just answer the question should one eat carbs and protein 5mins before he trains or should he time it earlier?...just for our posters to know whats right.

No I don't recommend that. However, as I have made quite clear, I never made a point opposing that, which is why you have yourself all confused.

Read the final paragraph of what I said in my previous post. In fact, I'll copy paste it: ''Take myself for example, my uni schedule varies throughout the week, I don't buy my lunch, so I cannot always guarantee I will eat my 6 meals at the set time. It's not that much of a problem, as long as I hit my eating target for the day. I'm sure there are plenty of other people in the same situation as I am and these people may feel more comfortable knowing their gains are not going to go out the window because their schedule may not work in their favour.''

Absolutely nothing wrong with what I've said there and that was my original point. I'm not sure why you've gotten so obsessed with bringing up pre-training and pre-sport eating as though I said anything against it, you have again put emphasis on TIMING, when I made quite clear that you had misconstrued the manner in which I was discussing timing. You've simply failed to understand the statement I've made, even when I've made sure to make it more clear.

I seriously don't know how you've read 'eating 6 meals a day is not a necessity and that hitting an eating target is more important overall' as 'doing something ridiculous 5 mins before training is okay'. Stop sensationalising. You're just being silly.

Eating 6 meals a day at timed intervals isn't a necessity either, meeting or not exceeding your target intake is more important.

No I don't recommend that. However, as I have made quite clear, I never made a point opposing that,.

Contradiction right there. I commented on "eating 6 meals a day is not necssary" and I never wrote that, I was NEVER talking about that it was all about timing of food intake which is important and most of us know that.

I seriously don't know how you've read 'eating 6 meals a day is not a necessity and that hitting an eating target is more important overall' as 'doing something ridiculous 5 mins before training is okay'. Stop sensationalising. You're just being silly.

Whats this all about?...I never said anything of the sort. We were talking about timing of food intake, you said that timing isnt a necessity and now you say it is, contradiction. TIMING IS NECESSARY!!....you cant just eat carbs and protein 5mins before you train, that IS ALL IM SAYING, nothing else and Im right. So just admit you got it wrong, hell I agreed with you in our first post but what were discussing is what I disagreed on. Brother get use to people disagreeing with you here on TRF and if your wrong just say so dont stray from the subject with something else, thats just weak.

Ask anyone here on TRF when I get it wrong I just say so, I dont twist the subject.

Last edited:
Contradiction right there. I commented on "eating 6 meals a day is not necssary" and I never wrote that, I was NEVER talking about that it was all about timing of food intake which is important and most of us know that.

Whats this all about?...I never said anything of the sort. We were talking about timing of food intake, you said that timing isnt a necessity and now you say it is, contradiction. TIMING IS NECESSARY!!....you cant just eat carbs and protein 5mins before you train, that IS ALL IM SAYING, nothing else and Im right. So just admit you got it wrong, hell I agreed with you in our first post but what were discussing is what I disagreed on. Brother get use to people disagreeing with you here on TRF and if your wrong just say so dont stray from the subject with something else, thats just weak.

Ask anyone here on TRF when I get it wrong I just say so, I dont twist the subject.

This is my original statement, copied and pasted, it's on page 4 if you want to check it out for yourself:

''Eating 6 meals a day at timed intervals isn't a necessity either, meeting or not exceeding your target intake is more important.''

Where does that say anything about training? All it means is that if your schedule doesn't fit eating 6 meals separated by 2-3 hours, it's not a massive problem, provided you hit your overall intake target, which is true.

Like I said, you've mixed yourself up with regards to timing, you have taken my use of the word in relation to splitting up the meals by time, as a reference to actually timing the meals in relation to something else. Two different things.

I would agree with you about not eating a stupid amount of something prior to training, my problem is that you are making it out as though I said the opposite to that. I'm simply clearing it up and emphasising that that is not what I said. Now that you can see I agree with you on that point, is it not too hard to look at the line I quoted above and see why you are pinning something on me which I didn't say?

This is my original statement, copied and pasted, it's on page 4 if you want to check it out for yourself:

''Eating 6 meals a day at timed intervals isn't a necessity either, meeting or not exceeding your target intake is more important.''

Where does that say anything about training? All it means is that if your schedule doesn't fit eating 6 meals separated by 2-3 hours, it's not a massive problem, provided you hit your overall intake target, which is true.

Like I said, you've mixed yourself up with regards to timing, you have taken my use of the word in relation to splitting up the meals by time, as a reference to actually timing the meals in relation to something else. Two different things.

I would agree with you about not eating a stupid amount of something prior to training, my problem is that you are making it out as though I said the opposite to that. I'm simply clearing it up and emphasising that that is not what I said. Now that you can see I agree with you on that point, is it not too hard to look at the line I quoted above and see why you are pinning something on me which I didn't say?

Nah fair enough, I see where your coming from, I got you the first time but one of your posts you wrote "Disagree how?" and I simply just explained how I thought that timing is important. Its not overly important as you say, your right, but there are circumstances like the one Ive mentioned where you do need to time your food intake.

I agree with a lot of what you say, you know your stuff no doubt. Just a slight disagreement that I knew you would end up in a long story...:)

Nah fair enough, I see where your coming from, I got you the first time but one of your posts you wrote "Disagree how?" and I simply just explained how I thought that timing is important. Its not overly important as you say, your right, but there are circumstances like the one Ive mentioned where you do need to time your food intake.

I agree with a lot of what you say, you know your stuff no doubt. Just a slight disagreement that I knew you would end up in a long story...:)

I agree about eating times in relation to the gym, I just wanted to let people know they didn't have to stress if their schedule means they couldn't eat meal 5 or whatever at the time they set, as long as they do eat it. I'm glad we got it all resolved mate. :)

I think they have a good article on training in the gym for rugby in bodybuilding.com, I used it to prep myself before a 10's tournament and did feel great though. Here's the link of the article:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rugby0.htm (part 1)
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rugby1.htm (part 2)
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rugby2.htm (part 3)

they put it in details so I hope these will help.

And yeah, I'm prepping for a game on the 26th Nov so I guess it's cool to keep tabs here in the forum! About to hit the gym later and 1st day so Chest day for me. Start of with 15 - 30 Minutes on the treadmill and later hit the bench press and later do incline and decline afterwards. Later hit the fly machine and end with some dumbbell press and fly...will update it here later :D

Height: 177cm/5ft 9inch
Current weight: 98kg

Went back today for a heavier, shorter workout. After my 20 minutes of cardio for a warmup, I did the deadlift first. Went for 60kg, did 3 sets of 4, and about died. Good thing my friend drove with me otherwise I would have had to cool off for a good half hour before coming home.

Well, at least I got the "shorter" part right. Must have used some bad form because my right shoulder is tense and my left isn't.

Went back today for a heavier, shorter workout. After my 20 minutes of cardio for a warmup, I did the deadlift first. Went for 60kg, did 3 sets of 4, and about died. Good thing my friend drove with me otherwise I would have had to cool off for a good half hour before coming home.

Well, at least I got the "shorter" part right. Must have used some bad form because my right shoulder is tense and my left isn't.

Yeah always keep the emphasis on technique especially with deadlift Trish. Id take a guess and say that you are right handed.

The part where you said you felt like you almost died, I know what you mean and thats a good workout. Im a big believer in hard work at the gym if you are pursuing a goal. Keep it up champ.

The part where you said you felt like you almost died, I know what you mean and thats a good workout. Im a big believer in hard work at the gym if you are pursuing a goal. Keep it up champ.

True enough, the pain indicate that you're having a good reaction from your workout. Say, how do you increase your weights every now and then? Is there a specific system in your schedule one must apply? Like for instance I increase my plate by 2.5 - 5kg each side on a barbell after each sets. For now I'm doing 1 warm-up set and 3 sets for each exercise.

Latest posts