• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Starting to hit the gym.

"Broke student stealing the chicken from his parents houses"diet
Also a bit of competition could do some good towards working towards goals..how will we work it?

Ahh i remember the good old days when we could have real meat and no just the dead rodents stray cats bring into the house..

But yeah gym competition homie its on. Post before, progress and after pics and leave it up to public consensus as to the victor? assign a panel of unbiased female judges? i dont know..

I dont actually record what i do at the gym which is a bit of an issue. The uni gym is absolutely tiny, so i just go in and throw around whatever is available until i dont feel like it anymore. Couple that with my non-existant diet plan and i'm pretty sure i have one of the worst gym progammes around tbh..

I haven't been hitting the gym for long and I usually go to my uni gym (250NZD for 12 months, god like pricing), but I just moved back to my hometown for the summer, it's a small place and the gym is a lot smaller as you'd expect.

I've found that at the gym in my hometown they only have plates up to 110kg all up, so that's the max weight I can do. Problem is, I squat 120kg and deadlift 160kg and am expecting to progress over the next couple of months so I'm a bit stuck. I guess I could just keep my squat at 110 and aim for more definition (up the reps I guess). I had been planning to change from my 5x5 program to a hypertrophy program to improve aesthetically for summer, so maybe I can make it all work with that in mind.

If anyone is keen, I wouldn't mind seeing some of your workout routines.

Also, on that site posted on the first page, those transformations look quite good, but looking at the before pictures, most of them had pretty good starting points, it seems like most of them have just added a bit more mass and a lot of definition to the chest and the abdominals.

But I guess if you train for aesthetics, then that is a big part of the whole aesthetic look.

Anyone here use Fitocracy?
It's a workout logging website which gives you points based on how well you did in the workout and you unlock achievements etc.
Sounds a bit daft but it's not bad, and gets your motivation up, and you try out new things too (I never would have done a set of 20 squats if there wasn't an achievement)
I've got 6 invites left if anyone's interested in signing up, just click here:
http://ftcy.co/nAroSm

TRF gym competition ?

But yeah gym competition homie its on. Post before, progress and after pics and leave it up to public consensus as to the victor? assign a panel of unbiased female judges? i dont know...

Count me in, it'll be something new for me putting up photos of myself on the net lol.

Im gonna change my programme up soon, Ill put that up too when I design it.

In related gym news, I weighed myself last night and have hit 14st for the first time in my life, which means I am exactly 1st heavier than I was at the start of the year
Still skinny as anything though :lol:
Next up: 14st7lbs

Well. I've had a summer that has been unkind to me. Had my first preseason today and I started feelling those long lost muscles hurt. My plan over the last few weeks, has been to ignore the cardio that I so desperately need, eat healthy food to justify the crap I just ate, and lift my 20kg dumbbell for 25 reps are 5 times a day, to give me that "feelling pumped" feel in the arms so I can pretend I'm not getting fat(er).

Regardless, now I'm into preseason, I feel I can change my life now. This was only further encouraged when I found out I'll be training with the Hurricanes on December 12th (As part of a club thing). With the way Hurricanes are dropping like flies, I think I'm like 50th cab off the rank, which is looking promising. My idea is to lose around 12kg in the off season. Which means Cardio. A **** load of cardio.

If my invite link to fitocracy, above, stops working (runs out of invites) then you can use this as well:
http://t.co/VO3kLQsq
It's the invite code the guy who runs it put on twitter, so I imagine it's got a load of invites on it (it's still in beta so you need to be invited to the site to register)

and everyone join the TRF group :D
http://www.fitocracy.com/group/3486/

Last edited:
Right how will we work this Comp then ?

I'm in Sam Owen and Ranger so far...both are Kiwis , **** my puny Irish genetics.

Joined Fitoricy just there too Olyy

Last edited:
I started a cut recently. Been dropping weight like crazy now that I'm not eating as much, and I seem to be working so much harder in the gym.

I've gone down from 94kg to 91kg already. I'm hoping it was fat that I've lost because my lifts are not dropping just yet.

I'm interested as well. Aiming at hitting the gym at the ned of this month.
But Whenever I do lots of sports I do eat a load of food afterwards, any thoughts on how I can help this.

But Whenever I do lots of sports I do eat a load of food afterwards, any thoughts on how I can help this.

Depends what you are going to the gym for? If you are trying to gain muscle then the eating is fine (clean preferably). If you are trying to lose weight, its fine as well, as long as it's clean food and your overall eating is within your caloric deficit or the amount required for your diet.

Eating 6 meals a day at timed intervals isn't a necessity either, meeting or not exceeding your target intake is more important.

Yeah like T-Rex said as long as its the good stuff and good portions of it. Remeber its good to eat after a game to help your bodys recovery. Like for example eat good carbs to restore muscle and liver glycogen, drink your fluids to replace electrolyte losses and eat your good sources of protein repair muscle damage.

However I disagree with T-Rex on timing of food intake, especially before sports but thats a long story.

I just hit the gym for the second time tonight (last Wednesday was the first) after I swore to get back into the habit of it. I'm not sure how relevant my comparisons would be since I'm a girl though. My body weight right now is 44kg, and I was able to do sets of 8 reps with the following amounts:

Bench press: 35kg
Dead lift: 40kg
Squat: 55kg

Yeah like T-Rex said as long as its the good stuff and good portions of it. Remeber its good to eat after a game to help your bodys recovery. Like for example eat good carbs to restore muscle and liver glycogen, drink your fluids to replace electrolyte losses and eat your good sources of protein repair muscle damage.

However I disagree with T-Rex on timing of food intake, especially before sports but thats a long story.

Disagree how? The whole 6 meals a day thing is not a necessity as long as you're hitting your macros.

I just hit the gym for the second time tonight (last Wednesday was the first) after I swore to get back into the habit of it. I'm not sure how relevant my comparisons would be since I'm a girl though. My body weight right now is 44kg, and I was able to do sets of 8 reps with the following amounts:

Bench press: 35kg
Dead lift: 40kg
Squat: 55kg

Eat something lol, how tall are you? 4 foot 9

You getting a bit of spotting help? Because those are some large numbers for 44kg!

Last edited:

Latest posts