• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Squad Selections

Interesting read. There are some left field selections but 8 Welsh players in the starting test side?

Me thinks you sippith too muchith from the cuppith of patriotic bias.... eh ..... ith.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 31 2009, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ryan Jones has not gone a long way backwards, I would select Jones over Heaslip because of his work on the ground, Jones is more successful in the ruck, he fights and wins the ball more. Jones also has a very powerful running game to. Heaslip scored tries and ran a lot this six nations while ferris and wallace hide from the lime light they usually occupy and did the grunt work maintain possession.[/b]
Last years Ryan Jones sure. This years no. He's a fine player but by his own standards hes had a poor year. Heaslip was far superior and contesting this point "has overtones of you not watching him as much as someone who recognizes his talent" ...... or not watching rugby at all over the past 3 months.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 31 2009, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Henson is the finest reader of the game at 12, and creates the most time and space i have ever seen in a player, sometimes it looks as though a defense are reluctant to tackle him. you very very rarely see a defender get a BIG HIT on Henson. I find it almost impossible to contest his value to any side, because to contest it has overtones of you not watching him as much as someone who recognizes his talent. he rarely makes wrong decisions.[/b]
I've asked a million times for anyone to tell me exactly what it is that Henson has done to deserve the praise he receives. Apart from "that kick", his autobiography, his sulk during the last Lions tour, his relationship and his tan, has he actually done anything on the pitch to justify this kind of talk?

Undoubtably talented. IRB young player of the year about 8 years ago and all that but there is a huge difference between potential and delivering upon that potential. Henson is 27 now, isnt it about time he actually delivered consistently?

Henson is barely the best 12 in Wales at the moment, never mind the best in the NH or the World.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 31 2009, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Henson is barely the best 12 in Wales at the moment, never mind the best in the NH or the World.[/b]

He's potentially a world class centre, he's just never really lived up to expectations, partly because of injuries. I'd still pick Henson over Roberts or Flutey for a Lions test.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 31 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've asked a million times for anyone to tell me exactly what it is that Henson has done to deserve the praise he receives. Apart from "that kick", his autobiography, his sulk during the last Lions tour, his relationship and his tan, has he actually done anything on the pitch to justify this kind of talk?

Undoubtably talented. IRB young player of the year about 8 years ago and all that but there is a huge difference between potential and delivering upon that potential. Henson is 27 now, isnt it about time he actually delivered consistently?

Henson is barely the best 12 in Wales at the moment, never mind the best in the NH or the World.[/b]

F*cking AMEN! :bravo:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Mar 31 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 31 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
F*cking BOO! :toss:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Mar 31 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 31 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I agree, there are other players too who I have no idea why anybody rates them so highly or at all (although for different reasons). Phil Vickery or James Haskell for example.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Mar 31 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Mar 31 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I agree, there are other players too who I have no idea why anybody rates them so highly or at all (although for different reasons). Phil Vickery or James Haskell for example.
[/b][/quote]

Vickery because he makes a hell of a lot of tackles, he's a very good srummager, and in his prime was the best tighthead going. Nowadays he concedes far too many penalties.

Haskell because he's got good hands, is a good ball carrier, and, more importantly, has the knack of getting extraordinary steals and turnovers. He is an arsehole with very little brain as well however. If I was Wales coach he'd walk into my Wales backrow.

Henson is injured looks like we will not be lucky enough to have him anyway. very sad news.

with regards to your scathing post related to what previously wrote on Henson and Ryan Jones

i gave you very good reasons behind my thinking to which you repost with, basically, nothing...?

do you not like the way he plays?

do you think he lacks a fundamental quality?

opinions are much more interesting than

"errrr, he's injured a lot, i don't watch rugby much, and i don't like orange tan or his girlfriend one kick errr thats it...." it really makes you sound moronic....!

barely the best 12 in wales... not what the coaches, experts and pundits think...

have you notice that those who have watched him regularly for a long time, as well as those that have played coached and commented on Rugby believe that he is a very special player

re think your argument !

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 1 2009, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Henson is injured looks like we will not be lucky enough to have him anyway. very sad news.

with regards to your scathing post related to what previously wrote on Henson and Ryan Jones

i gave you very good reasons behind my thinking to which you repost with, basically, nothing...?

do you think he lacks a fundamental quality? Yes, he's unreliable and underachieves considering his talent.

"errrr, he's injured a lot, i don't watch rugby much, and i don't like orange tan or his girlfriend one kick errr thats it...." it really makes you sound moronic....!

barely the best 12 in wales... not what the coaches, experts and pundits think...

have you notice that those who have watched him regularly for a long time, as well as those that have played coached and commented on Rugby believe that he is a very special player

re think your argument ![/b]

Henson on top of his game is among the best 12s in the world. Trouble is, he's hardly ever on top of his game; because he's either injured or up his own arse most of the time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 1 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Henson on top of his game is among the best 12s in the world. Trouble is, he's hardly ever on top of his game; because he's either injured or up his own arse most of the time.[/b]
Sounds about right.

Edit: I do feel sorry for him, as the interview on the BBC Sport website comes across like he might give up this time. Then again, he's always been a bit of a drama queen (Ireland 06 anyone?).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Apr 1 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 1 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Henson on top of his game is among the best 12s in the world. Trouble is, he's hardly ever on top of his game; because he's either injured or up his own arse most of the time.[/b]
Sounds about right.

Edit: I do feel sorry for him, as the interview on the BBC Sport website comes across like he might give up this time. Then again, he's always been a bit of a drama queen (Ireland 06 anyone?).
[/b][/quote]

Being up anyones Arse doesn't effect the way you play rugby, ask Matt Stevens he apparently knows a lot about bums

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 1 2009, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
with regards to your scathing post related to what previously wrote on Henson and Ryan Jones. i gave you very good reasons behind my thinking to which you repost with, basically, nothing...?[/b]
No you didnt. you said "Henson is the finest reader of the game at 12, and creates the most time and space I have ever seen in a player, sometimes it looks as though a defense are reluctant to tackle him. you very very rarely see a defender get a BIG HIT on Henson. I find it almost impossible to contest his value to any side, because to contest it has overtones of you not watching him as much as someone who recognizes his talent. he rarely makes wrong decisions"

Its all kinda simple really. You speak of Henson as if he can or has done all these things but none of them seem to happen that regularly. In fact I could easily say there is no evidence of him ever looking like a fine reader of the game at 12 (was it not Henson who failed to make that pass against France that would have been a match winning try for Wales?) in fact coaches have been trying to find the right position for him for years. Outhalf didnt work, Fullback hasnt worked, why not try 12. Finally, defenses absolutely LOVE tackling him (O'Driscoll put him on his arse two weeks ago, and came back with the ball at the same time).

Pretty much everything you said above, and in most posts is questionable at best and you have this annoying habit of pre-empting replies by saying daft things like "to contest it has overtones of you not watching him as much as someone who recognizes his talent".

So again I'd ask ....... What it is that Henson has done to deserve the praise he receives. O'Driscoll, Giteau, Mortlock, Umaga, Horan, Greenwood, christ even Jausion built their reputations on the pitch through performances. So apart from "that kick", his autobiography, his sulk during the last Lions tour, his relationship and his tan, has he actually done anything on the pitch to justify this kind of talk?. Has he done anything or are we still talking about the potential of a 27 year old?

"errrr, he's injured a lot, i don't watch rugby much, and i don't like orange tan or his girlfriend one kick errr thats it...." it really makes you sound moronic....![/b]
I think hes a fine player, but he's been consistently buggered by injuries. However hes gone from bursting onto the scene in his early 20's to ........ well he hasnt really moved on has he. What has he actually done? O'Driscoll burst onto the scene and has become the best 13 in the world. Henson burst onto the scene and ................ got married. He kinda reminds me of Arwell Thomas (spelling).

Most importantly I think your arguement lacks a fundamental quality. That being substance, or substance based on reality. All opinions are subjective and I've just pointed out that your opinion is based on what you want to see, cause it sure as **** hasnt happened on the pitch. If you believe I'm being moronic for pointing out the flaws in your statement (cause thats all it was), especially when you still cant answer a fairly simple question yourself.

barely the best 12 in wales... not what the coaches, experts and pundits think...[/b]
The same pundits that predicted Wales would beat Ireland. The same pundits that believe O'Driscoll shouldnt play in the Lions team at all. The same pundits that were so wowed by Roberts and Shanklin that they questioned whether Henson (the best 12 on the planet) would get his position back. The coaches that tried him at 10 (was a good day in Lansdowne on that day), at 15 (out of position for Tommy Bowe's try), at 12. The coaches that nurse him back to health then ban him for four key weeks during the season for more off the field antics.

For christ sake, you cant use pundits as a reference! Andy Nicol is a pundit ffs.

boyed.

anyway, here's my squad, I'll make changes with injuries etc. soon:

1. Jenkins..............Sheridan
2. Mears................Flannery
3. Murray..............Jones
4. O'Callaghan.......Hines
5. O'Connell...........Jones
6. Ferris.................Croft
7. Williams.............Wallace
8. Heaslip...............Leamy
9. Phillips...............Ellis
10. Jones...............O'Gara
11. Williams...........Cueto
12. Flutey..............Roberts
13. O'Driscoll ©....Shanklin
14. Fitzgerald.........Bowe
15. Byrne...............Armitage

Spares: Vickery, Ford, Haskell, Blair, Wilkinson if fit/ Hook, Kearney

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Apr 2 2009, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 1 2009, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
with regards to your scathing post related to what previously wrote on Henson and Ryan Jones. i gave you very good reasons behind my thinking to which you repost with, basically, nothing...?[/b]
No you didnt. you said "Henson is the finest reader of the game at 12, and creates the most time and space I have ever seen in a player, sometimes it looks as though a defense are reluctant to tackle him. you very very rarely see a defender get a BIG HIT on Henson. I find it almost impossible to contest his value to any side, because to contest it has overtones of you not watching him as much as someone who recognizes his talent. he rarely makes wrong decisions"

Its all kinda simple really. You speak of Henson as if he can or has done all these things but none of them seem to happen that regularly. In fact I could easily say there is no evidence of him ever looking like a fine reader of the game at 12 (was it not Henson who failed to make that pass against France that would have been a match winning try for Wales?) in fact coaches have been trying to find the right position for him for years. Outhalf didnt work, Fullback hasnt worked, why not try 12. Finally, defenses absolutely LOVE tackling him (O'Driscoll put him on his arse two weeks ago, and came back with the ball at the same time).

Pretty much everything you said above, and in most posts is questionable at best and you have this annoying habit of pre-empting replies by saying daft things like "to contest it has overtones of you not watching him as much as someone who recognizes his talent".

So again I'd ask ....... What it is that Henson has done to deserve the praise he receives. O'Driscoll, Giteau, Mortlock, Umaga, Horan, Greenwood, christ even Jausion built their reputations on the pitch through performances. So apart from "that kick", his autobiography, his sulk during the last Lions tour, his relationship and his tan, has he actually done anything on the pitch to justify this kind of talk?. Has he done anything or are we still talking about the potential of a 27 year old?

"errrr, he's injured a lot, i don't watch rugby much, and i don't like orange tan or his girlfriend one kick errr thats it...." it really makes you sound moronic....![/b]
I think hes a fine player, but he's been consistently buggered by injuries. However hes gone from bursting onto the scene in his early 20's to ........ well he hasnt really moved on has he. What has he actually done? O'Driscoll burst onto the scene and has become the best 13 in the world. Henson burst onto the scene and ................ got married. He kinda reminds me of Arwell Thomas (spelling).

Most importantly I think your arguement lacks a fundamental quality. That being substance, or substance based on reality. All opinions are subjective and I've just pointed out that your opinion is based on what you want to see, cause it sure as **** hasnt happened on the pitch. If you believe I'm being moronic for pointing out the flaws in your statement (cause thats all it was), especially when you still cant answer a fairly simple question yourself.

barely the best 12 in wales... not what the coaches, experts and pundits think...[/b]
The same pundits that predicted Wales would beat Ireland. The same pundits that believe O'Driscoll shouldnt play in the Lions team at all. The same pundits that were so wowed by Roberts and Shanklin that they questioned whether Henson (the best 12 on the planet) would get his position back. The coaches that tried him at 10 (was a good day in Lansdowne on that day), at 15 (out of position for Tommy Bowe's try), at 12. The coaches that nurse him back to health then ban him for four key weeks during the season for more off the field antics.

For christ sake, you cant use pundits as a reference! Andy Nicol is a pundit ffs.
[/b][/quote]

i know of a job going for a tabloid mate... as a researcher, it could be right up your street, but stay away from rugby punditary because you spend a lot of time writing to prove points that only show you watch very little rugby.

please give it a rest.

haha nice gimley

someone just made a valid and well thought out argument and instead of trying to challenge their opinion or say backing your own up citing a few matches in the process you just dismiss it as stupid and ay they dont know rugby. i know it's early days but so far everyone who has disagreed with you knows very little about rugby, odd that

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Apr 2 2009, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
haha nice gimley

someone just made a valid and well thought out argument and instead of trying to challenge their opinion or say backing your own up citing a few matches in the process you just dismiss it as stupid and ay they dont know rugby. i know it's early days but so far everyone who has disagreed with you knows very little about rugby, odd that[/b]

thanks mate glad you approve

do all the people who read this stuff who know about rugby not post ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 3 2009, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
do all the people who read this stuff who know about rugby not post ?[/b]

Jesus are you still here? I thought you were an April fools joke given to us by one of the admins to keep it all ticking over.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Apr 4 2009, 05:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 3 2009, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do all the people who read this stuff who know about rugby not post ?[/b]

Jesus are you still here? I thought you were an April fools joke given to us by one of the admins to keep it all ticking over.
[/b][/quote]
yaaaaaawn...!

Pog mo thoin

Latest posts