• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Squad Selections

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Apr 15 2009, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Apr 15 2009, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Apr 15 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Disagree. O'Leary has been off form this season as well, and in the last two games has started to show some form. When he is at his best very few scrumhalfs will trouble him.[/b]
That's a slightly biased view methinks.
[/b][/quote]

Perhaps, but I stand by what I said.
[/b][/quote]

wouldn't call it biased, can't think of a possible Lions scrum half whose put in a better performance than O'Leary did on Sunday.

It was certainly streets ahead of what Stringer produced in his mom (still laughing at that one) performance against Scotland, far better than anything Phillips produced, despite a marked improvement on Sunday, in the 6N even in his performance against Ireland where he looked to be getting back to a semblance of last season's form.

As for Blair he's been decidedly average especially in the 6N and would be very fortunate to tour as would Ellis whose Wihtakeresque similarities would see the Lions getting slaughtered even in a midweek match.

Personally I'd take O'Leary, Cussiter and Care but realistically I fear we're going to get Blair, Ellis and Phillips.

If we're taking players on one good performance, Powell should go after his powerful display off the bench on Saturday.

Given how awesome Ireland were in the 6N, O'Leary was decidedly average throughout. One great performance in a very awesome team performance does not a Lions test place make.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Apr 16 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If we're taking players on one good performance, Powell should go after his powerful display off the bench on Saturday.

Given how awesome Ireland were in the 6N, O'Leary was decidedly average throughout. One great performance in a very awesome team performance does not a Lions test place make.[/b]

he was never a liability though throughout the 6N which is more than can be said for some of the other contenders but you're right in what you say and the level of the opposition cannot be forgotten either. I'd still take him though.

it's a shame, if Reddan had been more involved in the Ireland setup I would have taken him. He had a bad slump in form, but then again so did the entire Wasps squad. It's not beyond possibility that he could go if there is any wasps bias - none of the other scrum halves are setting the world alight after all

Geech is dropping hints that he will pick Cips though so there isn't shock, anger and outrage when he picks him as we will all be expecting it, haven't heard him say anything about Reddan and the Lions though.

If Reddan was playing well he would have been involved in the Irish setup. He had one or two good games but a pretty poor season overall. No problem with him being excluded.

Philips should hold the test slot for me. Then another two from Ellis, Blair, Cussiter and O'Leary. I'd probably go with Cussiter and Blair to be honest.

Dean Richards, writing for The Times:

"If injury were to affect selection - as it did when O'Driscoll damaged his shoulder so badly in the first Test against New Zealand in 2005 - then Tom Shanklin offers talented back-up at outside centre, with Mike Tindall probably just behind him. "

Can anyone, for the love of god, tell me why Tindall would get within a thousand miles of a Lions tour?

Not the entire squad but....if I picked my XV today it would be this:

1. Jenkins
2. Flannery
3. Murray
4. Wyn Jones
5. O'Connell
6. Croft
7. Wallace
8. Heaslip
9. Phillips (I'd prefer Peel)
10. S Jones
11. S Williams
12. D'Arcy
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Byrne

Jenkins, Murray, Hayes, Sheridan and A Jones

Ford, Mears and Flannery

O'Connell, Wyn Jones, O'Callaghan and Shaw

Croft, Wallace, R. Jones, Heaslip, Strockosh and M.Williams

Phillips, Blair and Peel

S.Jones, O'Gara and Hook

O'Driscoll, Shanklin, D'arcy, Roberts

Bowe, S. Williams, Evans, Fitzgerald, Cueto

Kearney, Byrne, Armitage

Jenkins, Murray, A.Jones, Horan,

Flannery, Best, Ford

O'Connell, Wyn Jones, O'Callaghan, Gough

Ferris, Williams, Wallace, Heaslip, Croft, Leamy

Phillips, Blair, O'Leary

Jones, O'Gara, Cipriani

D'arcy, O'Driscoll,
Shanklin, Roberts, Earls

Halfpenny, Cueto, Fitzgerald, Williams, Bowe

Byrne, Armitage, Kearney,

Test team in bold, player who will make the bench in italics.

RE: Cipriani - It is going to happen no matter what, especially now that Geech can use his performance today as an excuse

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Apr 18 2009, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not the entire squad but....if I picked my XV today it would be this:

1. Jenkins
2. Flannery
3. Murray
4. Wyn Jones
5. O'Connell
6. Croft
7. Wallace
8. Heaslip
9. Phillips (I'd prefer Peel)
10. S Jones
11. S Williams
12. D'Arcy
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Byrne[/b]
That's exactly the team I'd have, just my backrow would be Wallace-Heaslip-Williams; and I get the feeling they're going to pick Lewsey on the right wing.

Not the full squad, but XV

15. Kearney
14. Halfpenny
13. O'Driscoll
12. Flutey
11. Williams
10. Cipriani
9. Phillips

8. Heaslip
7. Wallace
6. Croft
5. O'Connell ©
4. O'Callaghan
3. Murray
2. Mears
1. Jenkins

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Apr 20 2009, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

<strike>15. Kearney</strike>
<strike>14. Halfpenny</strike>
13. O'Driscoll
12. Flutey
<strike>11. Williams </strike>
<strike>10. Cipriani</strike>
9. Phillips[/b]

Not bad, all you need to do is remove one or four and your bang on.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Apr 20 2009, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

15. Kearney
14. Halfpenny
13. O'Driscoll
12. Flutey
11. Williams
10. Cipriani
9. Phillips

8. Heaslip
7. Wallace
6. Croft
5. O'Connell ©
4. O'Callaghan
3. Murray
2. Mears
1. Jenkins[/b]

Are you honestly saying there isn't at least one better fly half than Cipriani?

Seriously...

Cipriani could become the most talented 10 in Britain. His ego needs to be destroyed first, or else he'll go the way of Gavin Henson.
Still think he'd be a good midweek player (and who honestly would you take instead? James Hook, despite the fact he's been shite for the Ospreys and average for Wales this year? Flood or Goode? Two of the least talented international flyhalves in the country. Godman? NO), since no matter who's third choice, Jones and ROG will start in the tests.

Never underestimate Jonny Wilkinsons ability to become fit just before a major international competition then whaltz into a squad... Deserved or not...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Apr 20 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Cipriani could become the most talented 10 in Britain. His ego needs to be destroyed first...[/b]

Not taking him on the tour could be just the way to do that. But I agree that a three legged giraffe would be a better option than Goode/Flood/Godman all playing 10 at the same time. Even though he's been crap for the last while i'd take Hook personally for the midweek team, but I think Cipriani will go given the Wasps bias.

I'm starting to like the Idea of Cipriani going on tour, mainly because he offers something different and the only other 10 (Hook) has been playing complete and utter shite for quite a while.

I know if Jones was starting and things were not going well, O'Gara wouldnt really offer anything different from the Bench. Cipriani however coming on with 25 mins to go, COULD possibly do something different. Granted he'd probably just get charged down, or fall off a tackle, but you never know. Hes a good runner and could open up a defense where Jones or O'Gara couldnt.

He's a good option to have in a 35 man squad, but only because there are sod all alternatives.

Latest posts